Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

In 2012 he wrote an article about internet trolls needed to be silenced for the good of others, comparing them to drunk drivers needing their licenses revoked. http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/yiannopoulos/3359/the-internet-is-turning-us-all-into-sociopaths/

people should be retweeting this in loving droves because lol at the incredible hypocrisy. what the gently caress happened to him? compare this article which is actually composed and well-written to the bile-spew of his poo poo from 2014 onward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

lynch_69 posted:

It helps if you think of them as lizard people.

Or, you know, humans with the capacity to change outlooks and adopt new values.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

lynch_69 posted:

Christopher Hitchens was an avowed Marxist in college before turning into whatever he turned into. Trump was a lifelong democrat. All those old Project for a New American Century neocon guys were liberals at one point. It's all meaningless. Soulless opportunists who will sell out their ideals for profit/power. Also Hillary Clinton was a Goldwater Girl. It helps if you think of them as lizard people.

People are allowed to have different ideas than when they are 19

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is going to be impossible for anyone to understand unless they follow noted horrible pro wrestling promotion TNA and the insanely great/awful storyline of the Hardy Boys feuding with each other, but basically Matt Hardy went crazy after losing a title and started refering to his brother Jeff as "Brother Nero" and pledged to "delete" him, which he did in a batshit crazy backyard wrestling match involving drones, holograms, fireworks a dilapidated boat etc. a week or so ago. So this made me laugh like an idiot today

https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/755589702799986689?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

and the match/segment in question if you want your brain to melt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBCU8wELJAA

oh my god:

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Amazing how the fall of one shithead has made TNA relevant again.

It's also hilarious how in the eyes of Twitter over-the-hill 90's wrestlers like Matt Hardy are more important than Milo.

Keeshhound posted:

Or, you know, humans with the capacity to change outlooks and adopt new values.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

People are allowed to have different ideas than when they are 19

Valid points, you'll get no argument from me there. I just wanted to call some politicians lizard men :\

lynch_69 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 20, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

lynch_69 posted:

Amazing how the fall of one shithead has made TNA relevant again.

It's also hilarious how in the eyes of Twitter over-the-hill 90's wrestlers like Matt Hardy are more important than Milo.

The Final Deletion is storyline of the year though?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

people should be retweeting this in loving droves because lol at the incredible hypocrisy. what the gently caress happened to him? compare this article which is actually composed and well-written to the bile-spew of his poo poo from 2014 onward.

:10bux:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I would argue his four year old post arguing for greater oversight from Twitter is no more authentic than what he is doing now. He thought he could get attention as a thoughtful critic and advocate during the dawn of socially aware internet, and when he didn't he saw he could get attention going the other direction.

The only thing that stayed consistent is wanting to be important

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
how many followers did he have?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Enough to brainwash tons of the alt-right.

"Nobody by far has been able to come up with sound arguments rebutting anything milo says"

"who says that milo is bigoted? Left wing lunatics like yourself? So left wing lunatics decide what reality is nowdays? Moron"

" If anyone actually reads the tweets, they are far from what the media makes them out to be. I believe its just a case of the far left silencing those who dont agree with them."

" We live in a week liberal cry baby society. Teach your children that words from people that don't matter don't matter and that emotional damage you talk about will not exist. Teach your children to be strong not to go cry in there safe room because someone called them ugly. It's a sad world we live in..."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would argue his four year old post arguing for greater oversight from Twitter is no more authentic than what he is doing now. He thought he could get attention as a thoughtful critic and advocate during the dawn of socially aware internet, and when he didn't he saw he could get attention going the other direction.

But with Milo instead of Trump.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Aeka 2.0 posted:

how many followers did he have?

about 500k before he went out

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Enough to brainwash tons of the alt-right.

"Nobody by far has been able to come up with sound arguments rebutting anything milo says"

"who says that milo is bigoted? Left wing lunatics like yourself? So left wing lunatics decide what reality is nowdays? Moron"

" If anyone actually reads the tweets, they are far from what the media makes them out to be. I believe its just a case of the far left silencing those who dont agree with them."

" We live in a week liberal cry baby society. Teach your children that words from people that don't matter don't matter and that emotional damage you talk about will not exist. Teach your children to be strong not to go cry in there safe room because someone called them ugly. It's a sad world we live in..."

I don't understand how treating one another with respect and kindness is this much of a challenge.

If my parents caught me doing the sorts of things that Milo, and his idiot right wing followers were doing? They'd have whupped my rear end, and had a nice talking to me about it.

I also don't understand why these people are so bizarrely intimidated by women and transgender people.That Gavin McInnes shitbag ranting about how women should be in the kitchen? Who honestly believes that crap?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
During the roll call of Missouri, the delegate said "the home of icon Phyllis Schlafly, and the birthplace of talk radio on KMOX!"

Rush Limbaugh is from Missouri, and really created talk radio. I bet he was super-cheesed that he didn't get a shout-out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't understand how treating one another with respect and kindness is this much of a challenge.

If my parents caught me doing the sorts of things that Milo, and his idiot right wing followers were doing? They'd have whupped my rear end, and had a nice talking to me about it. :corsair:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Glenn Beck comparisons really can't be made enough.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

I also don't understand why these people are so bizarrely intimidated by women and transgender people. That Gavin McInnes shitbag ranting about how women should be in the kitchen? Who honestly believes that crap?

It's basically a bunch of dudes who are just deeply, deeply insecure about themselves. So they try to define themselves primarily through their masculinity, because being male is pretty much the one thing that they all have that a) can never be taken from them, and b) that has, or used to have, a number of positive qualities associated with it. You know, all the old stuff about men being the real movers and shakers, the big deciders, the rational supermen, yada yada. So since so much of their perceived self-worth depends on the value of their masculinity, they react absolutely viciously to anything that might diminish it.
Women are looked down upon because if you want to feel superior, you need something or somebody to feel superior to. If any women try to fight for a spot in the limelight, then that's of course seen as a direct assault upon this superiority. Feminism in particular is the devil because acknowledging that the game is rigged in favour of men means accepting that the reason men are at the top isn't because they're intrinsically better. Transpeople, merely by existing, throw a big old wrench in the traditional gender model that supports this worldview, so they too must be attacked and put down at every opportunity.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

lynch_69 posted:

I just wanted to call some politicians lizard men :\

... I can dig it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MinibarMatchman posted:

On it. Using it. Thank you so much for this, AdjectiveNoun.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

lynch_69 posted:

I just wanted to call some politicians lizard men :\

The correct term is lizard PEOPLE.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

https://twitter.com/SidizenKane/status/755738172718546944

Edit: This dude says some Milo supporters are retweeting this unironically hahaha

Between this and Trump apparently stating that he will just give Pence all the work as VP, I think we have full confirmation that the loud right wing has nothing resembling self awareness.

FuzzySkinner posted:

If my parents caught me doing the sorts of things that Milo, and his idiot right wing followers were doing? They'd have whupped my rear end, and had a nice talking to me about it.

I also don't understand why these people are so bizarrely intimidated by women and transgender people.That Gavin McInnes shitbag ranting about how women should be in the kitchen? Who honestly believes that crap?

It makes perfect sense when you're an insecure manchild using aggression to mask your weaknesses. Instead of having to learn anything or grow, you just rant at everyone else for being and get a crowd of similar knuckle-draggers reinforcing you. You get to be the mighty truth-sayer rather than just some sad rear end in a top hat with no prospects. Anybody who tells you know is just a weasel trying to take what's yours. It's what the Republicans have been pitching for decades.

Hell, Trump proves that you can get close to being President purely on strength of being a the biggest, loudest, dumbest bigot and bully you can be. Why would they ever think anything else when it seems to be winning so much? Trump and Milo are the greatest idols for this crowd of sad, angry men because they give them validation for their childish impulses and narcissism.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 20, 2016

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

FuzzySkinner posted:

I also don't understand why these people are so bizarrely intimidated by women and transgender people.

I think it's a mistake to always refer to bigots as being "phobic", "scared" or "intimidated" by group X. It's a nice rhetorical power dynamic way of framing it, but most of them are not afraid in any sense of the word, but rather either hate them or know that they can get political power by presenting those groups as dangerous.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TildeATH posted:

I think it's a mistake to always refer to bigots as being "phobic", "scared" or "intimidated" by group X. It's a nice rhetorical power dynamic way of framing it, but most of them are not afraid in any sense of the word, but rather either hate them or know that they can get political power by presenting those groups as dangerous.

I disagree, they may not fear it in the sense that they run screaming in the other direction but that kind of hate comes almost universally from either insecurity or paranoia

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TildeATH posted:

I think it's fair to say that if most of those people had a transgender person touch their arm they would recoil like someone had thrown acid on them. Homo/transphobia is very much a fear and disgust of what they imagine those people to be

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think it's fair to say that if most of those people had a transgender person touch their arm they would recoil like someone had thrown acid on them. Homo/transphobia is very much a fear and disgust of what they imagine those people to be

Also don't forget that there's a whole bunch of people that think being gay is a choice, all gay people are also child molesters (that's how they recruit after all), and gender is the same thing as sex and is also immutable.

Transgender women using the bathroom are gay men in there to molest your kids.

Fear applies here, but it's driven by ignorance. Good luck fixing the ignorance part.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
So, I'm having a bit of trouble with the "make" in "Make America Work Again!"

It makes me think that the "again" they are referring to is the industrial revolution and the imagery that comes to mind is the Triangle Factory.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

Milo's chasing dollars and eyes. He was pushing bog standard blogger-journalism prior to 2014. Two months before gamergate happened he was writing articles about how gamers were shut in NEET losers who needed to get a job, then he saw a pile of said shut in NEET losers and rode them to prominence by writing poo poo that reinforced their ideas. In the next universe over he's a signatory on the #WeAreTheLeft thing.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Piccolo Dick seems appropriate

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I've been reading about Drudge. Like Milo, I don't think he gives a poo poo about ideology, just attention.

http://www.businessinsider.com/conservatives-drudge-report-dallas-2016-7

quote:

“Matt Drudge, for whom my late friend Andrew Breitbart used to work closely and for whom I used to fill in on his old national radio show, is not a conservative,” conservative talk-radio host John Ziegler told Business Insider. “He is a brilliant businessman who doesn't care at all about the conservative cause.”

The operator of anti-Trump organization Stop Trump PAC, a Republican operative who asked not to be named to preserve his anonymity, told Business Insider he agreed with Ziegler’s analysis.

“It has nothing to do with conservatism. It has to do with ratings,” he said.

He added: “When it comes to Drudge, he has chosen to go down a path of racism. Embracing racism, inciting hate — all to gain followers. He doesn’t care about conservative principles or ideas. It’s all about ratings. It’s a ratings game.”

And Steve Deace, a popular Iowa radio host, slammed the Drudge Report as a “fraud.”

“Drudge isn't a conservative. He's a sensationalist. And right now, the sensation is white grievance politics/populism, so he's parked there,” Deace told Business Insider. “Drudge, like too many other people in our industry, is a master at capitalizing on being conservative media without actually demonstrating a shred of conservatism."

He wants pageviews, and he gets them. He gets 1.2 billion pageviews in a month, and is the top traffic referrer to the NY Times, the WSJ, Fox, etc. Same as Milo, he craves that power and money more than anything else in the world. He wants people talking about him like we are in this thread. It's just pure yellow journalism and sensationalism.

I've been following Drudge for a long time, and he loves it when someone writes an article about him or mentions him somewhere, always linking it up near the top of the page, sometimes in red text. He does this regardless of what the article actually says about him. It's just LOOK HOW IMPORTANT I AM!

As of right now, he has this at the top of his page:

He's a huge fan of blatant race baiting and telling everyone to be afraid of scary black people and Muslims. And apparently being gay himself, he's perfect for Milo. A few days ago he had this up:

Linking to a Sun article about *gasp* a woman with a hijab reporting about the Nice attack! SHE'S ONE OF THEM!

These people have an audience of total morons, and they know how to exploit them. I've noticed that if Drudge links to something, that article's comment section will get flooded with an onslaught of some of the most idiotic comments that I've ever seen. My favorite example was a long time ago, when Drudge linked to some study about left-handed people making less money than right-handed people. Drudge's headline was "LEFTIES MAKE LESS THAN RIGHTIES..." The comments were flooded with things like "Well of course libtards make less money because liberalism is a mental disorder!" and on and on. People who did not even read the first line of the article.

Drudge's obsession with ratings seems like the main reason he went all in for Trump.

http://www.businessinsider.com/drudge-report-trump-2016-7

quote:

"Because of the enormous traffic and attention that a well-placed Drudge link can bring, when it becomes clear what narrative Matt is favoring, a literal 'market' is created for stories which fit that storyline so that they might be linked on the Drudge Report. For instance, it is my strong belief that, if Drudge had not gotten on the Trump bandwagon, Breitbart.com would never have so overtly done so, because they wouldn't have had the same financial/traffic incentives."

Ziegler concluded that Drudge is, in effect, an assignment editor for the news media, particularly outlets that lean or are outright conservative.

And in 2016, Drudge made it known that he was assigning only pro-Trump stories. He rewarded those who authored stories favorable to the real-estate mogul with frequent links while he simultaneously discouraged those critical of the Manhattan billionaire by blacklisting them from his page.

The message sent to journalists was simple: If you want Drudge traffic, then cover the news through a pro-Trump lens.

According to a Politico analysis of more than 300 Drudge Report banners, the conservative link aggregator did indeed go "all in on Trump." He refused to cover the billionaire's scandals but provided maximum exposure to the missteps of the real-estate mogul's opponents.

Visiting the Drudge Report in the 2016 primary season was like entering an alternate reality: Trump remained entirely free of imperfection while his Republican opponents were cast as corrupt, dishonest politicians desperately seeking power at any cost.

Cruz, frustrated in the final days of his campaign, decried the Drudge Report as an "attack site" for Trump.

"I don't know what the hell happened to Matt Drudge," echoed Glenn Beck, the prominent conservative talk-show host and founder of TheBlaze, in March.

Two months earlier, Cruz had taken a different tone, confidently assuring supporters that "we have got the Drudge Report" amid slamming more mainstream outlets. For a while, he did appear to have Drudge, but that changed once he and Trump veered toward a head-to-head clash for the nomination.

So Drudge couldn't decide what narrative to go for until the last minute, when it was either one or the other, Cruz or Trump. He went for Trump just because of the spectacle of it. We know that Trump doesn't give a poo poo about ideology either, lies and contradicts himself constantly, used to support Democrats, etc. Drudge doesn't give a poo poo about any of that, and blacklists any mention of it on his site. He wants Trump so he can post ridiculous poo poo like :

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Aesop Poprock posted:

Homo/transphobia is very much a fear and disgust of what they imagine those people to be

For homophobic men its also the fear of being treated like a sexualized object. You know, like how they treat women.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This fits in rather nicely with my fantasy casting of RWMers as various incarnations of the Joker. Limbaugh is Nicholson's Joker, Coulter is Hamill's Joker, Beck is Ledger's Joker, and now Milo is Leto's Joker. Still haven't found anyone who matches Romero's Joker yet. Maybe Hannity on account of the shrillness and camp, I dunno :shrug:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Romero is Buckley. "Isn't this fun? We're having a nice talk here on PBS where I'm viewed as a serious intellectual while sparring with my gay counterpart about how he's a totalitarian for not thinking we should brand everyone who is HIV positive on the face and ship all the gays off to a concentration camp."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

This fits in rather nicely with my fantasy casting of RWMers as various incarnations of the Joker. Limbaugh is Nicholson's Joker, Coulter is Hamill's Joker, Beck is Ledger's Joker, and now Milo is Leto's Joker. Still haven't found anyone who matches Romero's Joker yet. Maybe Hannity on account of the shrillness and camp, I dunno :shrug:

Purple and Green is a pretty deep channer rabbithole as well

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Milo Yiannopoulos looks like Blaine from iZombie fell into a vat of acid at an anime bishie bad guy factory.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 21, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
People are saying Laura Ingraham gave the old Sieg Heil?

It's the first part of a wave I guess, but between the stern face and the lingering on it for a second longer than she should have it's kind of ehhhh. You can kinda tell the moment she realizes how bad it's going to look.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Deified Data posted:

It's the first part of a wave I guess, but between the stern face and the lingering on it for a second longer than she should have it's kind of ehhhh. You can kinda tell the moment she realizes how bad it's going to look.

I don't have the picture at present, but it's important to realize that if this is a Hitler salute - and loving frankly I think it is - that the full picture is of her doing it towards a giant Orwellian photo of Trump waving in her direction in drat near the same pose.

Like the only argument you could even vaguely make is that she was waving at the Trump picture and just screwed it up real bad, but goddamn if she doesn't look like a straight up Neo-Nazi in context.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

I can't imagine anyone being this tone deaf, so maybe you're right. This is kinda the most important image of the RNC so far, it describes the present climate in the GOP perfectly.

I don't think anyone's dumb enough to do an outright nazi salute on stage at the RNC, but there's no way the optics of it escaped them. She wanted it to look a certain way to certain people, and to the rest "it's just a wave, talk about something important".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

From the picture thread, she totally locks that poo poo in before transitioning to waving and pointing.

The right is already acting like this is the liberals making Hitler out of everything, but look at that. I only see two possibilities:

1) She totally did it and knows it

2) She was so full of racialist, nationalist excitement that the salute just leapt out of her (I think this is the more likely one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Yeah I kind of hope Eisenhower is spinning at mach 5 in his grave and that when every member of the current Republican Party dies he grabs them each and turbofucks them in the ear for this poo poo. Like for real, our great grandparents are called the Greatest Generation for defeating fascism, not communism, you sick fucks, and this is what you've stooped to.

I mean poo poo, I know they've been fascists for a long time, but outright Neo-Nazism on the convention floor is a new loving low.