Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ooh, I like "hand money" as a back-formation.

e: I just looked up "wet shaving". This para is from the first page of the first hit.

Yes, my labia are trembling in fear. Or hilarity, it's hard to tell from up here.
N.b. I bought my husband a straight razor in the 1980s. We now use it as a bread lame.
Straight razor shaving is for exactly the kind of shaving nerd who would say, in all seriousness, "A classic wet shave takes you on an aesthetic journey back to the root of your male essence." People who are so boring, they can talk about shaving for hours. Because they're obsessed with some fedora-wearing idea of masculinity, but philately is too exciting for them.

I shave with a safety razor. It's about 10 cents a shave. The ad copy for wet shaving is unbelievably contemptuous, but then so is the ad copy for pretty much any beauty products, just in a different way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mozi posted:

It's a combination of other options being wildly overpriced and hoping that people forget to cancel their subscription.

It might be them on the podcast ads or it could be Harry's razors (they liked it so much they bought the factory, don't'cha'know). I've tried both and Harry's is actually pretty great because you just order however many blades you want and there's no subscription element to it. The Dollar Shave Club razor sucks in comparison as well. Anyhoo.
Yeah they were going after the printer ink model of pricing the blades that Gilette and Shick etc. had spiraled into.

Halloween Jack posted:

I always wondered how they can really deliver shaving supplies that cheaply.

If men are really interested in getting a good shave really cheap, they'll just get into wet shaving and buy the same, very affordable products over and over again.
I could be way out of touch but wet shaving seems like very much a "thing", whereas part of the appeal of the Dollar Shave club was to make shaving less of a "thing". I'm sure it's possible to wet shave more cheaply but I would also guess that's true only if your time is worth $0.

Also, obvious to most of you but it's common to run at a loss and get users etc. with the plan that you can run at a profit when you scale up. Obviously if there is no feasible way to do THAT then yeah, dumb... though I guess if you cash out to the tune of (some portion of) a billion dollars then maybe it's a con job but it's not just normal crap-your-pants dumb.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shifty Pony posted:

That said I'd love to see a commercial based on the joy of getting into a bed with freshly washed sheets after shaving your legs. Goddamn is that the best feeling ever.
You're not wrong.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pro-tip, if you want the Dollar Shave club blades without doing their stupid subscription model, you can look up Dorco USA, which is their supplier. Cheap rear end but decent quality blades in the Gilette style (4 blade, 5 blade, etc).

I spend like $30 on razor blades and they last me like 9 months.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

pangstrom posted:

I could be way out of touch but wet shaving seems like very much a "thing", whereas part of the appeal of the Dollar Shave club was to make shaving less of a "thing". I'm sure it's possible to wet shave more cheaply but I would also guess that's true only if your time is worth $0.
There are actually a lot of us who wet shave in order to make shaving less of a thing; wet shaving is just better for your skin once you learn how to do it right (and it doesn't have to take a long time). But yes, the marketing is dominated by weird shaving geeks who want to talk about spending half an hour getting in touch with their manliness through shaving. They're the dorky equivalent to the jocks who are so, so manly, they can only wipe their butts with Dude Wipes.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

That said I'd love to see a commercial based on the joy of getting into a bed with freshly washed sheets after shaving your legs. Goddamn is that the best feeling ever.

I once had to shave all of my body hair (legs + arms + torso, just not the beard) as part of a dare, and crawling into freshly washed sheets was a goddamn life-changing moment for me.

Then the leg and arm hairs grew to an eighth of an inch and the itching started. :gonk:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Straight razor shaving is for exactly the kind of shaving nerd who would say, in all seriousness, "A classic wet shave takes you on an aesthetic journey back to the root of your male essence." People who are so boring, they can talk about shaving for hours. Because they're obsessed with some fedora-wearing idea of masculinity, but philately is too exciting for them.

I shave with a safety razor. It's about 10 cents a shave. The ad copy for wet shaving is unbelievably contemptuous, but then so is the ad copy for pretty much any beauty products, just in a different way.

I think most of the benefit to wet shaving is in the soap and brush i.e. not the part which saves you money and not in the razor. You really get a closer shave with less irritation with the newer multi-blade razors, and you don't have to obsess over technique like with the old-fashioned safety razor.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Halloween Jack posted:

Is it really any different than getting into woodworking or baking gluten free muffins or growing 14 different kinds of dwarf chili's on your urban balcony garden? All things that you can feel free to make into a hobby, and all things that no one else wants to hear you talk about for 20 minutes at a party. There is an extra element of romanticized rugged manliness being sold to pasty, soft handed tech workers, but then again, selling products with clever advertising is as American as apple pie.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
How the hell does tumblr and twitter make any money? I never see any ads. Then again my ad blocker is on 90% of the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I wanted to try a straight razor because I hoped I could just shave my beard straight off with it. But loving hell you can't buy a working straight razor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I had enough trouble finding a half decent safety razor that took wristcutter blades. Everything's the drat multi blade things that cost a fortune to replace and blunt after one use.

loving shaving hipsters can gently caress off, I just want a thing to get my drat beard off my face quickly and without being expensive.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

How the hell does tumblr and twitter make any money? I never see any ads. Then again my ad blocker is on 90% of the time.

they don't:ssh:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

I wanted to try a straight razor because I hoped I could just shave my beard straight off with it. But loving hell you can't buy a working straight razor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I had enough trouble finding a half decent safety razor that took wristcutter blades. Everything's the drat multi blade things that cost a fortune to replace and blunt after one use.

loving shaving hipsters can gently caress off, I just want a thing to get my drat beard off my face quickly and without being expensive.

gently caress a bunch of stropping a straight razor for 10 minutes each time before being able to use it

ugh

just get a nice heavyass merkur safety razor and a sharps container

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

cheese posted:

Is it really any different than getting into woodworking or baking gluten free muffins or growing 14 different kinds of dwarf chili's on your urban balcony garden?
No, but that's point. If I'm buying gluten-free muffins, the last thing I want to see on glutenfreemuffins.com is a screed about how gluten is the devil and meat is murder. If I'm buying peppers to grow in my container garden, I don't want pages and pages of Alex Jones style GMO paranoia. I do not want be lumped in with a subculture of sad idiots when I buy a product.

silence_kit posted:

I think most of the benefit to wet shaving is in the soap and brush i.e. not the part which saves you money and not in the razor. You really get a closer shave with less irritation with the newer multi-blade razors, and you don't have to obsess over technique like with the old-fashioned safety razor.
I'll concede the possibility that the high-quality multi-blade razors shave closer and with no more irritation, as well as being easier. That's if you throw them away after using them once. But practically speaking, they're loving expensive, so people are reusing blunted blades with bits of hair and dead skin trapped in them. Ones where they can't actually see or control the edge of the blade like you can with a safety razor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

gently caress a bunch of stropping a straight razor for 10 minutes each time before being able to use it

ugh

I got one of those and it's alright, still have to trim the beard before I can shave it though. Definitely cheaper to buy the old blades than the proprietary ones though.

Though I keep cutting my face up using it, whatever, skin grows back, money doesn't.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
So did anyone here land that dog chef job? I think my recipe for 'aliments pour chiens avec de l'eau' must have been rejected by that drat dog butler.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

They have tons of ads, including recently some audio ones on tumblr.

However, most people are like you.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

silence_kit posted:

I've never found that mastering technique requires much of an obsession with a safety razor. You just drag it across your face at an angle. I mean, I guess with a multi-blade razor you can just jam it into your face carelessly, but the difference in skill levels required is pretty minimal. There's not really any difference in time required, either. If you don't want to use a brush, you can just use shaving cream. Or use nothing and do it in the shower!

I have never understood the popularity of cartridge razors. Just looking at Amazon, you can buy almost 60 decent quality razor blades for the price of a single Gillette fusion blade.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/airb...=0qWMF-mn-5C7k1

quote:

It should be said upfront that these models don’t favor the left or right. In fact, #BlackLivesMatter and Airbnb have built movements using essentially the same tactics that have made the NRA so effective. Understanding the mechanics behind today’s most successful movements is not only important for each of us as citizens or organizers, but also as entrepreneurs, marketers and executives.

#airbnbmatters

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

I don't understand how you can make money from website ads. Shouldn't everyone be using ad blockers now? But then again, I don't know why anyone would buy something through spam email, but apparently enough people are doing it to make those businesses profitable.

neonnoodle posted:

they don't:ssh:
I wonder if some of these money-losing platforms are allowed to persist as long as they do because the parent company reasons "The time these people spend on our site, not spending enough money, is time they don't spend on a competitor's site, spending any money at all." When every media platform is acquired by a huge tech/media empire that logic makes sense, maybe.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Yep.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Pro-tip, if you want the Dollar Shave club blades without doing their stupid subscription model, you can look up Dorco USA, which is their supplier. Cheap rear end but decent quality blades in the Gilette style (4 blade, 5 blade, etc).

I spend like $30 on razor blades and they last me like 9 months.

Why does anyone bother with this dollar shave club bullshit anyway?

100 shark blades are like 9 bucks...

https://www.amazon.com/SHARK-Super-Stainless-Double-Blades/dp/B00306PJD4/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1469038660&sr=8-2&keywords=shark+blades

Buy a safety razor and a good soap and you're good for quite a while.

Razor: https://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Long-...ds=safety+razor

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

cheese posted:

Is it really any different than getting into woodworking or baking gluten free muffins or growing 14 different kinds of dwarf chili's on your urban balcony garden? All things that you can feel free to make into a hobby, and all things that no one else wants to hear you talk about for 20 minutes at a party. There is an extra element of romanticized rugged manliness being sold to pasty, soft handed tech workers, but then again, selling products with clever advertising is as American as apple pie.

No, it's more like making a hobby out of brushing your teeth or flossing

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Halloween Jack posted:

No, but that's point. If I'm buying gluten-free muffins, the last thing I want to see on glutenfreemuffins.com is a screed about how gluten is the devil and meat is murder. If I'm buying peppers to grow in my container garden, I don't want pages and pages of Alex Jones style GMO paranoia. I do not want be lumped in with a subculture of sad idiots when I buy a product.
All of those things you mentioned exist though and generally exist in every hobby. There are groups of sad idiots in every subculture. Maybe the "spend 45 minutes straight razor shaving to get in touch with your zen masculine self" guys are more annoying to you, but they are not unique.

Stinky_Pete posted:

Some people get very into aspects of personal grooming and beauty. If someone wants that to be their "thing" then I say go for it. You are an idiot if you buy into the PR bullshit about straight razor shaving, but then you are an idiot if you buy into the PR bullshit of any activity.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lest we forget

quote:

You know when you were a kid and your dad was shaving and you'd pretend-shave beside him because you thought it made you look grown-up? Everything redditors do is that same talismanic grasping at symbols of adulthood and sophistication tinged with an air of desperately overthinking it while completely missing the point.

If I use a real straight-razor and make my own lather with a badger brush then that makes me manly and attractive, even though I have scraggly unkempt hair and I'm 50 pounds overweight. If I wear a fedora it will make me cool and sophisticated, even though I'm wearing it with jorts and a le meme t-shirt. If I smoke an ecig then I look hard-boiled and interesting, even though my baby palate means I have to puff candy-flavored clouds of nicotine water from a robot's dick.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Stinky_Pete posted:

You can spend 200 dollars on a fancy electric toothbrush these days. It charges via USB!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I use an artisnal, hand carved piece of birch like the old times

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
nothing so gauche as USB

my sonicare diamondclean charges via induction when i plop it inside of its glass cup

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't understand how you can make money from website ads. Shouldn't everyone be using ad blockers now? But then again, I don't know why anyone would buy something through spam email, but apparently enough people are doing it to make those businesses profitable.

The money is in mobile web and more specifically free to play app installs. The payoff of landing a single whale who dumps hundreds or thousands of dollars into the game is so great that spending $1-4 per confirmed install is worth it.

Until Apple changed it in iOS 9 apps used to be able to see what other apps were installed on a phone and both Facebook and Twitter scraped that data to target ads. Have Clash of Clans and/or Game of War installed and you'll get deluged with other free to play game ads. As far as I know that sort of snooping was never blocked in Android so I expect it to still be going on.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I'll concede the possibility that the high-quality multi-blade razors shave closer and with no more irritation, as well as being easier. That's if you throw them away after using them once. But practically speaking, they're loving expensive, so people are reusing blunted blades with bits of hair and dead skin trapped in them. Ones where they can't actually see or control the edge of the blade like you can with a safety razor.

No way, the cartridges don't go bad nearly as quickly as the double-edged razor blades. The cartridges are still good and are superior to even a fresh razor blade for many uses. The razor blades go bad really quickly--the Feathers I used to use would become noticeably blunt after one use and start irritating my skin. It is probably still more economical to use the old fashioned razor blades though.

litany of gulps posted:

I've never found that mastering technique requires much of an obsession with a safety razor.

I strongly disagree--I've used both (I used an old fashioned safety razor for a couple of years since I had read on the internet that it was so great--I've since switched back to normal safety razors) and strongly prefer the cartridges. Shaving even using an old cartridge is easier, less irritating, and faster than the old fashioned safety razor.

The brush and soap are better than the gels or creams IMO. I think a lot of people who sing the praises of shaving like we are still in the 1950's wrongly attribute the effect of the soap and brush to the safety razor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

silence_kit posted:

No way, the cartridges don't go bad nearly as quickly as the double-edged razor blades. The cartridges are still good and are superior to even a fresh razor blade for many uses. The razor blades go bad really quickly--the Feathers I used to use would become noticeably blunt after one use and start irritating my skin. It is probably still more economical to use the old fashioned razor blades though.
Right, I'm not saying that DE blades last longer than cartridges, I'm saying DE blades shouldn't be used more than once or twice, and cost 10 cents, while cartridges shouldn't be used more than once or twice, and cost I don't know what. But hey, if you've found a way to shave cheaply without getting razor burn, mazel tov, that's the only reason I got into wet shaving. I'm not trying to sell you moustache wax.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There is a thread for shaving here it's a good thread, I read and post in it on occasion.

This is not the thread for shaving, generally speaking.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

You can spend 200 dollars on a fancy electric toothbrush these days. It charges via USB!

Might as well buy a cheapo battery powered one, they're all going to have a slurry made of toothpaste, saliva and plaque seep into them over the course of a year, even with proper cleaning and regular head replacement, so might as well get the cheapest option.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Unguided posted:

Might as well buy a cheapo battery powered one, they're all going to have a slurry made of toothpaste, saliva and plaque seep into them over the course of a year, even with proper cleaning and regular head replacement, so might as well get the cheapest option.
Alternatively, I can buy the expensive one every year because I am a man of exquisite taste

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How do you think Elizabeth Holmes shaves?

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

The Twitter model (that Pinterest copies) is promoted content. The idea is:
1) People tweet authentic junk about brand X on Twitter
2) Twitter notices that a specific tweet about brand X is doing well / could do much better with a little push
3) Twitter gets company X to pay them to promote the tweet (it goes at the top of news feeds, gets bit more visibility, and potentially spreads)

It's not advertising in the traditional sense, but it's there. It's also way more automated than this general outline.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How do you think Elizabeth Holmes shaves?

With Hattori hanzo steel

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Emacs Headroom posted:

The Twitter model (that Pinterest copies) is promoted content. The idea is:
1) People tweet authentic junk about brand X on Twitter
2) Twitter notices that a specific tweet about brand X is doing well / could do much better with a little push
3) Twitter gets company X to pay them to promote the tweet (it goes at the top of news feeds, gets bit more visibility, and potentially spreads)

It's not advertising in the traditional sense, but it's there. It's also way more automated than this general outline.

Those tweets are typically wholesale created by the brand prior to the launch of the advertising. Only extremely rarely would a non planned for promotion tweet recieve money once put into the market. Twitters revenue is pretty much all variations of promoted tweets with slight modifications such as unique ad types, their loving laughable emoji system, and Twitter moments.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

With Hattori hanzo steel

Folded over 9000 times?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Folded over 9000 times?

Into the abdomen, once, with violent sideways motion while she stares at her net worth report.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
9001 times, you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-deux

Musk is still gung-ho about self driving and ride sharing.