Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Here are my stupid and probably unwanted thoughts on competitive when mostly solo-queuing:

I think there should be a wider variance in ranks when selecting players for solo-queue teams. I play 90% of the time solo-queue and noticed that most players are about 2 ranks difference. I think it would be cool instead to have teams like:

Ranks: 44,48,52,52,56,60
Rather than: 49,49,50,50,51,51

It's already like this at low player count hours. Late night sessions always in end spawn camps that convince me that I probably shouldn't be staying up so late.

E: There are two queues out there. There's a 1-3 player queue and there is a 4-6 player try hard queue. You'll very rarely get matched against large teams as a solo player.

Density fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Davincie posted:

im not even wearing any headphones!

Most likely a brain tumor then. I give you 6 months to live.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
People should play against stronger players, but not always or by default, and only so much better -- you want something within their range of proximal development, that is, something they can just barely compete with if they look up strategies, actively focus on what they're doing wrong, work together, etc.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
also if you're a 60 and you lose to a 54 because you had one off-game rip your skill rating

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

People should play against stronger players, but not always or by default, and only so much better -- you want something within their range of proximal development, that is, something they can just barely compete with if they look up strategies, actively focus on what they're doing wrong, work together, etc.

Nah, they'll just blame their teammates. There is no room to improve perfection, it's just everyone else keeping them from being #1.

Zoness posted:

also if you're a 60 and you lose to a 54 because you had one off-game rip your skill rating

Also, I haven't been losing very much rank even when the enemy team is the underdog and I'm the highest level in the game. A decent match performance means you lose almost nothing even in matches like that.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 20, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zoness posted:

But if you are the 54 grats on your 1/5th gain to their 1/2 level loss.

^^^ if you're consistently doing really well but still lose, there is hardly a worse feeling in the OW Competative queue.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
The worst thing about the new patch is it took away the option of doubling up on a hero whose skillset is needed but someone else is misusing.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Jastiger posted:

But if you are the 54 grats on your 1/5th gain to their 1/2 level loss.

^^^ if you're consistently doing really well but still lose, there is hardly a worse feeling in the OW Competative queue.

No the worst thing in Overwatch Comp mode is winning the first two rounds in a KOTH map but then losing the next three

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

objects in mirror posted:

No the worst thing in Overwatch Comp mode is winning the first two rounds in a KOTH map but then losing the next three

that just means your opponents finished the download

also conversely reverse sweeping in koth feels really good, especially when round 4 is a repeat of the round 3 map so your opponents think that you just happened to pull a favored map

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 20, 2016

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Goddammit. Get 6 people to play together, play 1 comp match, lose, then half the group no longer wants to play comp because they're afraid of their rank number going down. It's just a stupid number it doesn't matter for fucks sake just play the dumb game.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Re: variance in rank in team comp

With an ideal variance in rank it should be unlikely that most games are a complete stomp (unless one of the players is vastly misranked and goes on a tear all night in the lower average games or something, where he would have and should have shat on your team to begin with).
I just think the current variance is too shallow.

Maybe I'm completely deluded too, but I think that facing people only 1-2 ranks away from the group average is bad and really makes moving through the ranks too slow (in both directions).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fateo McMurray posted:

Goddammit. Get 6 people to play together, play 1 comp match, lose, then half the group no longer wants to play comp because they're afraid of their rank number going down. It's just a stupid number it doesn't matter for fucks sake just play the dumb game.
Did you point out the exact same number exists in quick play it's just invisible?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
As an Ana main, how do I make my team not suck?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

play something else

Sindai posted:

Did you point out the exact same number exists in quick play it's just invisible?

I was too busy yelling at them for being babies about a stupid number.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Hughmoris posted:

* Pick a hero that can carry and do not suck?
* Get lucky?
* Carry as Ana?
* Use voice to communicate flankers, incoming doom ults, berate hanzos?

It's all I got. The best thing I did to stop being annoyed at my team is start to pick heroes that can really swing the tides of battle by themselves (not supports). Then if you fail, well at least you know it's completely your own fault for not being good enough.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Fateo McMurray posted:

My self-worth is directly tied to my rank.

Edit: I also put rank on resumes, so it's important.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

For sure you don't want to just "unthinkingly" do it. But I mean..its kind of Pharah's thing. Otherwise you're just a slow moving ground target that can't get around the REin shield. Having a McCree on the enemy team can just shut down every advantage of having a Pharah. Which may be working as intended but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

No, Pharah's thing is that she is the best character in the entire game at taking any high ground she wants. There are platforms that basically exist almost solely for her to stand on them. Pharah wants to spend most of her time on the ground...her jetpack just gives her the freedom to stand on better ground than anyone else.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The game should use a timer instead of percentages/bars. (capping, overtime bar etc.) This has been another Duck and Cover great idea.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All those stat tracker websites are amazing, because in spite of my buddy being a 52% winrate QP player and in the upper 30s in comp, overbuff has him as the literal third-from-worst player on all of XBL.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Minorkos posted:

kinda sounds like she's just reading her lines off a piece of paper to me

maybe some people like that sort of thing

I meant the Arabic mostly. It's a proper Egyptian accent obviously being spoken by a native

mcbexx posted:

She sounds a lot - but at the same time not quite - like Shohreh Aghdashloo.
Which is a shame, they should have gone for her.

She doesn't speak Arabic so no

Don't need more people trying to mispronounce poo poo especially in the one AAA game doing it right

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just did my Comp placement matches, 7-3 and ranked at 53. Not bad. Bit miffed at the PotG on my final match though, in overtime for the first contested point on... Numbani I think, it doesn't matter. Anyway I used Zarya's black hole and grenaded three of them down, on the other corner of the cap point Junkrat wheeled the fourth, we win and of course HE gets the PotG because his wheel did a smidge of damage on the guys I took care of so his "4-kill" trumped my 3-kill.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

pick a hero with some impact

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
ask yourself how you main a hero that's been out for 2 days or 2-3 weeks and then tranq yourself

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Hughmoris posted:

Easy, dont 'main' Ana. Or any other hero.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Anybody else running into issues after the patch? I know the servers are probably getting hit pretty hard, but I can barely get through a game without being randomly dumped back to the log in screen. Sometimes I can get back in to the round, but it's really frustrating.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Bruceski posted:

Just did my Comp placement matches, 7-3 and ranked at 53. Not bad.

I did the same. All 3 losses to 2x Reapers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

mcvey posted:

Easy, dont 'main' Ana. Or any other hero.

A lot of really good players seem to focus on one or two particular skills, though. Like tracking hitscan vs. snipers vs. projectile weapons, for instance.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I've learned the secret to comp:

Unless you're Seagul Top-500, it's better to tank your rank has hard as possible during placement matches. That way you'll be placed in matches with mouth-breathers and able to influence the results by yourself.
You'll Win faster and more often until you reach your natural skill-level, which will get you that much closer and faster to a gold weapon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

that won't get you to your correct rank faster, it just means you're improving your experience at the expense of a weaker players on the way

e: i misread and so that doesn't directly address what you said, but still, smurfing is both a dick move and counterproductive to gaining skill

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I just want to have a "main" for each category of hero, so no matter the situation I can switch out and feel okay in the role I'm having to assume for the remainder of the match

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

nickhimself posted:

I just want to have a "main" for each category of hero, so no matter the situation I can switch out and feel okay in the role I'm having to assume for the remainder of the match

Healing: Mercy/Lucio

Everything else: Junkrat

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I've found that Tracer and Zarya have surprisingly transferable skillsets for heroes whose actual functions are so different

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've found that Tracer and Zarya have surprisingly transferable skillsets for heroes whose actual functions are so different

Care to elaborate?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Laputanmachine posted:

Healing: Mercy/Lucio

Everything else: Junkrat

admirable, however i have found that junkrat is not actually a very good tank :(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Care to elaborate?

They both have tracking-type hitscan weapons that benefit more than most from attention to range (in Tracer's case because high falloff + you'll give away your position, in Zarya's case because beam range scales with charge), they both have abilities that require you to anticipate when the enemy is about to shoot you and then hit lshift and/or E, Tracer always wants to know where the enemy healers are, Zarya always wants to know where your own healers are, both have ults that travel in a "tossed" arc even though the ranges are different.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
I have Roadhog, Zarya, s76, Junkrat, and Symmetra as my core played. Rein/Bastion/Tobj/Winston as back ups. If I am healing, the games over.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Thor-Stryker posted:

I've learned the secret to comp:

Unless you're Seagul Top-500, it's better to tank your rank has hard as possible during placement matches. That way you'll be placed in matches with mouth-breathers and able to influence the results by yourself.
You'll Win faster and more often until you reach your natural skill-level, which will get you that much closer and faster to a gold weapon.

Except your strategy requires trolling 11 other people: Your teammates because you deliberately play poorly, and the other team because you let them win rather than giving them the challenge and fight they expect from you. I hope you feel bad about the actions you encourage in this video game. In conclusion, uninstall.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

FranktheBank posted:

If I am healing, the games over.

Same. I love healing but I have a 42% winrate with Mercy somehow. On the plus side, I've found announcing that fact when I'm on her will sometimes get pubbies to take over healing for me.

Undefeated with Ana, though :getin:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

Same. I love healing but I have a 42% winrate with Mercy somehow. On the plus side, I've found announcing that fact when I'm on her will sometimes get pubbies to take over healing for me.

Undefeated with Ana, though :getin:

I have a 65+% win-rate with Mercy and 30ish% win-rate with Lucio which means all these people saying Lucio is easy mode are obviously trolling me.

I've also realized that my lot in life is not to play characters that aim, unless it's Mei who I've got some sort of natural savant ability with the M2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Papercut posted:

I have a 65+% win-rate with Mercy and 30ish% win-rate with Lucio which means all these people saying Lucio is easy mode are obviously trolling me.

I've also realized that my lot in life is not to play characters that aim, unless it's Mei who I've got some sort of natural savant ability with the M2.

lucio is a lot more effective if you are in a position to be shotcalling while playing him