Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Scrublord Prime posted:

yoshi.p plz add Ultros as a boss fight

good news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

seiferguy posted:

I would love some random minibosses, similar to in Aquapolis when a minotaur might show up. Minotaurs already are in POTD, but more of them would be cool.

We had minotaur three to a room last night.
Not three to a floor, three to a room.
My party was scrambling so I was just calling '111' every few seconds so our NIN could get some hits in without getting smacked by one of the others.
Good times.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm starting to lose track of where you're seriousposting and where you're not :(

So I got through 31-40 yesterday, ending at +11/+14, and can't do 41-50 as a result (I gather from FC that I need to be at least +12 in both). So I have to start a second file. Can I actually get upgrades to my aetherpool in the first 30 or so floors or am I going to have to slog through those and do 31-40 and pray for RNG to be nice enough to let me do 41-50?

1-10 caps out at +7 for the gear so maybe 11-20 is +14. :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So I gotta go through at least 1-10 with zippo to show for it in the aetherpool department. Laaaame

Not that 1-10 takes very long but it's the principle dammit

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Stack up those deep dungeon items while you're in there :D

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

1-10 caps out at +7 for the gear so maybe 11-20 is +14. :shrug:
I got a piece of equipment from +9 to +10 while in 1-10.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

:homebrew:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HenryEx posted:

I have flight (in that area) and it's still the most obnoxious thing. Not only can't you sprint between nodes anymore when it's off cooldown to avoid the mount summon/desummon, i don't really enjoy having to use the "where's the next node" skill EVERY TIME after two nodes.
It's three packs of two for every level of node in every zone. Just memorize the locations and you can't miss 'em.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Potato Jones posted:

20-30 is the rouge-like section, the other floors are different colors.

Noice.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
GLD continues to be a fun experience. I didn't much like being a healer, but that's just because it was difficult to scrounge up damage when trying to get through the hunting log. Still, stuff like Protect and Cure was awesome to have. It was especially cool to see that all that stuff carried into being a Paladin.

Question as I continue leveling, how can I make sure to keep aggro on packs? I spam Flash when I first pull (2-4 times depending on how many are around) but inevitably something will break away from me as the healer goes crazy or if one of the mages is AoEing. Normally I just try and Shield Lob them back before spamming a few more Flashes, but is there something better I could be doing?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

GLD continues to be a fun experience. I didn't much like being a healer, but that's just because it was difficult to scrounge up damage when trying to get through the hunting log. Still, stuff like Protect and Cure was awesome to have. It was especially cool to see that all that stuff carried into being a Paladin.

Question as I continue leveling, how can I make sure to keep aggro on packs? I spam Flash when I first pull (2-4 times depending on how many are around) but inevitably something will break away from me as the healer goes crazy or if one of the mages is AoEing. Normally I just try and Shield Lob them back before spamming a few more Flashes, but is there something better I could be doing?

Cycle between your targets while doing your enmity combo. Do not pick one guy to pump your combos on while trying to maintain aggro on the rest with Flash/Circle of Scorn alone. Consider Spirits Within and Shield Swipe as individual enmity attacks while doing this as well.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
If you're leveling PLD pre shield oath and get stuck with max level BLM/SMN AoEing theres not alot you can do. Flash a few times and rotate your threat combo on the mobs. Use fight or flight if its up.

Alternatively, reroll WAR, map all your keys to overpower, and roll your face on the keyboard.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kuvo posted:

Alternatively, reroll WAR, map all your keys to overpower, and roll your face on the keyboard.

Low level, the game tries to teach you that this is a bad idea by making you run out of TP fairly quickly, but by 50 it's somehow not a problem.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you can crossclass invigorate before you hit level 30 though????

pull three packs, hit blood for blood + raging strikes, spam overpower until you die or you get kicked

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Reiterpallasch posted:

you can crossclass invigorate before you hit level 30 though????

pull three packs, hit blood for blood + raging strikes, spam overpower until you die or you get kicked

Have Bloodbath up as well and you'll basically never die. MRD is actually a lot of fun (if a bit gimmicky) up to about 50ish.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kuvo posted:

If you're leveling PLD pre shield oath and get stuck with max level BLM/SMN AoEing theres not alot you can do. Flash a few times and rotate your threat combo on the mobs. Use fight or flight if its up.

As a guy who has been that BLM a lot, you can also just let one or two of the mobs eat their face. They won't go down faster than the pack does, because it's low enough everything doesn't hit that hard yet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I got a piece of equipment from +9 to +10 while in 1-10.

Weird, even on floors 8 and 9 every chest with a weapon upgrade gave the failed upgrade message when I ran through on a SMN. :(

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Skaw posted:

Cycle between your targets while doing your enmity combo. Do not pick one guy to pump your combos on while trying to maintain aggro on the rest with Flash/Circle of Scorn alone. Consider Spirits Within and Shield Swipe as individual enmity attacks while doing this as well.

Right. I try to do that, but I think playing DPS almost exclusively makes my brain freak out if I'm not burning enemies down one by one. I'm trying to tank efficiently and contribute to DPS significantly. Which I feel is admirable, but more difficult for my current skillset.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

SonicRulez posted:

Right. I try to do that, but I think playing DPS almost exclusively makes my brain freak out if I'm not burning enemies down one by one. I'm trying to tank efficiently and contribute to DPS significantly. Which I feel is admirable, but more difficult for my current skillset.

Generally, here's the general rule of tanking: walk forward, open with two of your AOE until you've firmly established yourself as having a full aggro bar, then use your threat combo to keep things in line. At 17 you get Provoke, and if something runs off, Provoke it and then Shield Toss/Tomahawk it to make it run back over. In general, Flash again after every 2-3 threat combos as well.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

Just remember that cycling targets doesn't affect your overall DPS very much. It's just that instead of one guy getting it all, you're spreading it out among the pack. Contributing to DPS as a tank is admirable, but on trash packs it's not the focus. You should primarily focus on dancing between/out of AoEs and holding hate to the best of your ability. Bosses are where you want to step up to the plate and try to squeeze as much additional DPS in as you can.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As a guy who has been that BLM a lot, you can also just let one or two of the mobs eat their face. They won't go down faster than the pack does, because it's low enough everything doesn't hit that hard yet.

And yeah, it's not the end of the world of a mob or two gets ripped off you during trash pulls. Trash isn't particularly deadly unless you lose control of a lot of the pack, even at the higher levels. Leveling up and learning to tank, you'll just come across those super DPS players that'll end up ripping things off you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, don't sweat being imperfect and losing threat here and there; even if you're a Very Good tank sync'd down from level 60 with raid gear it'll still happen sometimes on low level; the cards are even more stacked against you when you're just learning and your gear's not very good.

It sounds like you're doing a good job of noticing when you make mistakes so honestly just keep that up and eventually it'll click, don't worry about it. As long as you actually care about losing threat and using your abilities correctly, you're already in the top 10%

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SonicRulez posted:

GLD is something of a special snowflake before you get Shield Oath in that you want to make sure you touch everything with Rage of Halone after you do your flashes.
I usually do this:

Flash to get everything's attention,
Flash to keep it while positioning,

Fast Blade Primary,
Savage Blade Primary,
Halone Secondary,

Flash,

Fast Blade Secondary,
Savage Blade Primary,
Halone Primary,

Fast Blade Primary,
Savage Blade 3rd,
Halone 3rd,

and then work from there. Add more flashes if the DPS decide to not follow your expected kill order for whatever reason.

If there's more mobs, flash 3 times, then riot blade combo the primary between flashes.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 21, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That is way too much flashing. Flash once and start your enmity combo and tabbing each attack on a different mob. Flash does no damage and isn't as much enmity as savage blade. Don't flash spam. Shield lob, flash, start plugging and chugging.

Edit: the most flashing you should be doing is just to keep the blind debuff up.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 21, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
When you get Shield Oath you can cut your flashing down some but until then, especially in AoE situations, it's better to be liberal with them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mr. Nice! posted:

That is way too much flashing. Flash once and start your enmity combo and tabbing each attack on a different mob. Flash does no damage and isn't as much enmity as savage blade. Don't flash spam. Shield lob, flash, start plugging and chugging.

Edit: the most flashing you should be doing is just to keep the blind debuff up.

Well, if you were to cast flash twice (2GCDs) you actually generate more enmity than if you were to combo fast blade/savage blade. Once you get rage of halone, the fast blade combo generates substantially more.

Low level it's not unreasonable to just cast flash like 4+ times then start riot blading. Flash is the best. Overpower is sometimes harder to use on account of it being conical. Flash is radial so it's better in my mind and also inflicts blind which helps even on bosses.

jokes fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 21, 2016

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

I finally got my first weapon and forgot to change from the job I was leveling with :doh:

So make sure you are in the job you want a weapon of when you go to claim it from the NPC, or read dialogue boxes unlike me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Well, if you were to cast flash twice (2GCDs) you actually generate more enmity than if you were to combo fast blade/savage blade. Once you get rage of halone, the fast blade combo generates substantially more.

Low level it's not unreasonable to just cast flash like 4+ times then start riot blading. Flash is the best. Overpower is sometimes harder to use on account of it being conical. Flash is radial so it's better in my mind and also inflicts blind which helps even on bosses.

They upped the enmity of savage blade, and when you're doing your combo, even if only two steps, you are contributing to DPS. Flash spamming is bad.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
I found my perfect title.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Chyea posted:

I found my perfect title.

That's a fantastic achievement name and an even better title. Shame there are literally nine of them on each server.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I thought it was per Data Centre. That's largely why I gave up. The Primal Data Centre is fairly substantial.

Actually, really, how do you convince yourself to keep going? I mean doesn't it frustrate you sometimes, how you can't choose who you're playing with or your comp? Looking at standings, people already have 40+ matches. I'd like to do the feast more seriously, but it just feels like too impossible a task.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's a fantastic achievement name and an even better title. Shame there are literally nine of them on each server.

Each server cluster! For Chyea's (and mine), that's 13 servers.

Also, the top 100 chest looks really cool:

ruta posted:

I thought it was per Data Centre. That's largely why I gave up. The Primal Data Centre is fairly substantial.

Actually, really, how do you convince yourself to keep going? I mean doesn't it frustrate you sometimes, how you can't choose who you're playing with or your comp? Looking at standings, people already have 40+ matches. I'd like to do the feast more seriously, but it just feels like too impossible a task.

Try to play a few games a day. Stop if you're getting angry or you don't feel like you're improving. Improvement comes slowly and naturally.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

They upped the enmity of savage blade, and when you're doing your combo, even if only two steps, you are contributing to DPS. Flash spamming is bad.

On the other hand, if you flash once and call it a day the blm is going to rip hate before you can tag everything with savage blade, causing DPS to be lost to chasing after mobs and subsequent aoe not hitting everything.

PLDs should flash enough to keep hate. That will usually be two or three flashes. Everything being in one spot for aoe is worth losing a gcd or two of single target tank DPS.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Solution: be a class that doesn't have to choose between enmity and damage.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, BLM is the best class

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Klades posted:

On the other hand, if you flash once and call it a day the blm is going to rip hate before you can tag everything with savage blade, causing DPS to be lost to chasing after mobs and subsequent aoe not hitting everything.

PLDs should flash enough to keep hate. That will usually be two or three flashes. Everything being in one spot for aoe is worth losing a gcd or two of single target tank DPS.

It's not flash once and call it a day. It's flash once and aggressively cycle through your enemies spreading damage/hate among them all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Square should really make Flash deal damage. :sigh:

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

Lemon-Lime posted:

Square should really make Flash deal damage. :sigh:

I agree, warrior does need a buff in dungeons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One cool trick you can do is to use cover to not have to deal with enmity at all for 12 seconds. Note that this depends heavily on your covered target not freaking out and running away like an idiot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Stufoo posted:

I agree, warrior does need a buff in dungeons.

Just put it in on a super low level GLD talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's a dumb +2 vit gld trait at like 16 right? Just put it there, it's not like anyone does sastasha at 15 these days with all the xp bonuses you're 16 before you qualify.

• Locked thread