Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

i am no longer a boy now i am a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Gonna be disappointed as gently caress if supreme edgelord isn't the 100 point title.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not enough characters.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Last Celebration posted:

Gonna be disappointed as gently caress if supreme edgelord isn't the 100 point title.

You'll have to settle for Hero.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Last Celebration posted:

BlitzBlast posted:

You'll have to settle for Hero.

Spirit of Compromise: Heroic Edgelord

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Should I pick up the MM Zero games on VC or seek out a copy of the Collection on DS?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The collection has an easy mode but the games are otherwise identical between versions. VC has savestates, of course.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'd just go for the collection tbh, since it has the whole handheld convenience thing. Amazons still selling it for $25 new so it'll probably be a bit cheaper.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Yeah, I'm surprised that something like the X Collection is so expensive, while the Zero Collection is not much different than a physical of the Legacy Collection.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The GameCube X Collection is expensive, but the PS2 version is amazingly cheap at $12 new.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I would love a Mega Man maker. If they did it, they should include expansion DLC that adds enemies, bosses, weapons and tiles for each of the Mega Man games.

Also, what's up with all the Lum avatars? I see that character everywhere but I've never seen the show \ manga.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, what's up with all the Lum avatars? I see that character everywhere but I've never seen the show \ manga.

A dude in ADTRW was handing them out to everyone and some of them have stuck around since then

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah a few months back somebody just bought lum avatars for like half the posters in ADTRW

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I would love a Mega Man maker. If they did it, they should include expansion DLC that adds enemies, bosses, weapons and tiles for each of the Mega Man games.

They already made Megaman Universe.

Then they cancelled it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lord Chumley posted:

They already made Megaman Universe.

Then they cancelled it.

No one would enjoy Mario Maker if everyone looked like this in it:

When people talk about a mega man maker I'd wager they envision something that uses the original game assets.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
To be fair, he doesn't seem happy that he's drawn so lovely and all his games have been cancelled either

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Is there a version of that image that says Rock Man and has normal eyes?

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

A good poster posted:

Is there a version of that image that says Rock Man and has normal eyes?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Make a Mega Man maker and just take all the sprites and tiles from the 8-bit games. Don't even bother making other art styles like Mario Maker did, just use NES sprites. Maybe make NES-styled sprites for the bosses from 7 & 8 so they match.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Gammatron 64 posted:

NES-styled sprites for the bosses from 7 & 8 so they match.

Full 8-bit sprites for Mega Man 7 and 8 already exist, I'm happy to say!

Of course, Capcom would never bother to licence them and use them intelligently, I'm unhappy to say. :(

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I dunno, Mega Man 9 was a fun throwback but I'd rather move away from the 8-bit look.

(I want every game to look like Rayman :allears:)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I dunno, Mega Man 9 was a fun throwback but I'd rather move away from the 8-bit look.

(I want every game to look like Rayman Hard Corps Uprising :allears:)

:swoon:

(Alternatively, Code: Hardcore's style would be good too.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Make a Mega Man maker and just take all the sprites and tiles from the 8-bit games. Don't even bother making other art styles like Mario Maker did, just use NES sprites. Maybe make NES-styled sprites for the bosses from 7 & 8 so they match.

I think that's in the works as a fan project. The recently-LP'd MaGMML contest is built on at least one of those engines.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Full 8-bit sprites for Mega Man 7 and 8 already exist, I'm happy to say!

Of course, Capcom would never bother to licence them and use them intelligently, I'm unhappy to say. :(

Yeah, I know they do, it's just that Capcom can't legally use them. Companies typically can't sell fan-produced things because... reasons. I dunno. I'm not a lawyer. Capcom gave Street Fighter X Mega Man a thumbs up and put it on their website but it was free and they couldn't sell it because of legal stuff.

Discendo Vox posted:

I think that's in the works as a fan project. The recently-LP'd MaGMML contest is built on at least one of those engines.

Nice. You have a link to that?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, I know they do, it's just that Capcom can't legally use them. Companies typically can't sell fan-produced things because... reasons. I dunno. I'm not a lawyer. Capcom gave Street Fighter X Mega Man a thumbs up and put it on their website but it was free and they couldn't sell it because of legal stuff.

Nice. You have a link to that?

http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=1369

I haven't followed it in detail. It's built on Blyka's engine, which would also work well for adapting the whole series, aside from the detailed game-specific engine quirks that purists love. They added a ton of stuff already, and it's all apparently quite customizable judging from what was added just for the contest.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 20, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=1369

I haven't followed it in detail. It's built on Blyka's engine, which would also work well for adapting the whole series, aside from the detailed game-specific engine quirks that purists love. They added a ton of stuff already, and it's all apparently quite customizable judging from what was added just for the contest.

Nice. Maybe I'll take another shot at a fangame again now that someone else has done most of the coding lol

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think CV3/MM1/MM2 not being on the NES Classic is just because A) they probably liked the sound of 30 games versus 20 or 40 and B) they probably wanted to fill as many slots with first party games as possible because they don't need to pay licensing fees and they still make money off of many of those franchises.

I do really wish MM3 was on there, though. If it was, I could probably forget about ever hooking my NES up again. Because it is the best classic Mega Man game :colbert:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Maverick Hunter X is $5 on PSN right now. I can see that it's been cheaper, but I ponied up for it anyway to play on my VitaTV.

So I played this on PSP a few/several years ago and recalled liking it a lot despite the middling reviews. On replay I found myself cursing up a storm that they moved the dash capsule and ended up just looking up where to get it. It's amazing how much moving that one upgrade killed the flow of the early game. The other oddity was having to make it through the entire Armadillo stage without getting hit once, or even suiciding to try again if you want the hadouken. Been enough years since I played X1 that I botched that one a bunch.

Overall still mostly the same fun game, though X looks sort of horrible at the PSP's native res stretched onto a TV without anti-aliasing. He's too detailed and ends up a mess. Gonna have to check this game out in PPSSPP to see if the game upscales well or looks worse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

The other oddity was having to make it through the entire Armadillo stage without getting hit once, or even suiciding to try again if you want the hadouken. Been enough years since I played X1 that I botched that one a bunch.

Rolling Shield literally instant-kills 90% of the enemies in that segment including the Mets.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

ImpAtom posted:

Rolling Shield literally instant-kills 90% of the enemies in that segment including the Mets.

I was using charged sting to run around, but the issue was the effect ending at bad times mostly, or without the SNES's slowdown on the last mine cart I got hit a bunch by birds (until I started to spam angled-up sting shot).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Gammatron 64 posted:

Nice. Maybe I'll take another shot at a fangame again now that someone else has done most of the coding lol
:whip:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's worth watching LPs of/playing the product of that contest. They've got custom levels, enemies, bosses, and mechanics in there. The framework seems remarkably flexible- though again, I haven't touched it myself.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 20, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wouldn't mind a 2.5D game if they used the design for Mega Man and the trophies in Smash 4.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
If you are going to make a fan game please make it 60fps.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Andrigaar posted:

I was using charged sting to run around, but the issue was the effect ending at bad times mostly, or without the SNES's slowdown on the last mine cart I got hit a bunch by birds (until I started to spam angled-up sting shot).

If you end up doing it again, try the fully charged rolling shield next time. The fully charged rolling shield is ridiculously good in that game because you can switch weapons while in the shield.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

If you end up doing it again, try the fully charged rolling shield next time. The fully charged rolling shield is ridiculously good in that game because you can switch weapons while in the shield.

Yeah, I typically just activate the charged Rolling Sheild at the start of the stage, then use Storm Tornado to obliterate everything in the way (switching to Fire Wave to get rid of the mole tanks faster). As long as you play it this way nothing should be able to touch you (though I think you still need to have 4 full Sub Tanks before the capsule will appear).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

If you are going to make a fan game please make it 60fps.

I've messed with earlier builds of Blyka's engine before and I think it's 30fps. I think I managed to make a 60fps version but it was a huge pain and I had to recode like everything.

I'm also the kind of person who would literally want sprite flickering for authenticity but it's a minor detail that would take a lot of work and I'm too lazy to code it.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
So, I've been playing MMX5, after finishing MMX4. Though a lot of the stages are kind of slow and make very awkward use of the duck and grab mechanics, and everything to do with Squid Adler's stage is just the worst, most of the maverick fights were pretty good. On the other hand, fuuuuuuuck the second Virus stage boss. I didn't bother to collect every single bit of the Gaea Armor (another loving awful design decision), and the boss loving makes spikes pop out of the walls that you're climbing on, while you're trying to avoid the spikes on the ground. It's virtually impossible to beat without immunity to spikes. Who signed off on this?

Lamprey Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 21, 2016

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
I've never even considered taking Gaea into the Rangda Bangda mk2 fight. Especially not in the game that includes Falcon. Just fly until you know which walls are safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I've beaten 1-6 on NES and the 5 Game Boy games, really liked them. finally started Mega Man 7 recently. This game really sucks. I think I'm done with this series. I would try the wii ones (10 and 11 or something) but i imagine input lag makes them a chore to play?