Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

C7ty1 posted:

Been a long road, all. Cheers to whoever made money off this madness and will continue to do so.

I've been waiting a long time for my first bets on this site to pay off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
After a year of waiting my RNOM money will finally be free! Grats boys! We did it!!

RIP to those who died

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
How the gently caress did you guys predict RNOM successfully with no hedging a year in advance?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Also :rip: my G/L

'Ol RNOM kept me waaaay in the green for so long. This is gonna take a long time to get used to.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Michael Scott posted:

How the gently caress did you guys predict RNOM successfully with no hedging a year in advance?
Bought 666 shares of 9-cent Trump YES as a joke and watched it steadily climb upward against all reason.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Michael Scott posted:

They picked the guy with a huge lead in the polls--something Nate Silver didn't even contemplate.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
welp I've posted about this market about a dozen times, and the price keeps getting more and more insane (in my mind), so who knows, but Gary Johnson's June Fundraising >$1M NOs now down to 62/63c...

https://www.predictit.org/Market/2239/What-will-Gary-Johnson's-monthly-fundraising-be-for-June

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Michael Scott posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I also bought this at the same time.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
nice job on the Biden thing tho.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

thethreeman posted:

welp I've posted about this market about a dozen times, and the price keeps getting more and more insane (in my mind), so who knows, but Gary Johnson's June Fundraising >$1M NOs now down to 62/63c...

https://www.predictit.org/Market/2239/What-will-Gary-Johnson's-monthly-fundraising-be-for-June
I'm on the B1 NO, biggly. No way he raises over a million space bucks.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Paper With Lines posted:

nice job on the Biden thing tho.

You like that?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I find it really weird that they have Maryland up for a "who will win it in November" market.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah I rushed into it as soon as I got the email hoping I could get a repeat of the VA market-open but there were already thousands of shares pegged at .98 :rubshands:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Peachstapler posted:

I'm on the B1 NO, biggly. No way he raises over a million space bucks.

why? isn't he far more visible this election? how much did he raise last month?

either way, seems smarter to buy yes at 20 on b2 and b3 than no at 60 on b1

abelwingnut has issued a correction as of 14:23 on Jul 20, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I think the trump speech ratings are gonna be below 35 million for sure.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Abel Wingnut posted:

why? isn't he far more visible this election? how much did he raise last month?
Yes he is, but raising over $1 million is a huge leap from last month's $350K. I understand the campaign has elevated fundraising efforts but I simply cannot see it making that much of a difference.

YES on B2, B3, and B4 add up to 56 cents. :)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

fishmech posted:

I find it really weird that they have Maryland up for a "who will win it in November" market.

Why, because it's non-competitive? It doesn't seem like that's always their top priority when choosing which markets to put up. The one Congressional race here (MN) they put up is indeed the one that (I think) has the most potential to be dramatic, but it remains to be seen whether that potential will be realized. But for something like MD.Prez it's probably still good research fodder :shobon:

edit: and I am going to stay the heck out of the Johnson June fundraising market today. I flipped shares early in it and I have no desire to get burned by the "obvious" choice two months in a row :mad:

Lutha Mahtin has issued a correction as of 17:18 on Jul 20, 2016

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, feel like it's way better to enter the fundraising markets when they open and try to get low prices of yes in every tier. too late to enter now unless you have the number

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
So far it's not looking too good for those of us hoping for a big Trump convention bounce. Halfway through and the convention's been a half-empty debacle.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

vox, you crashed that market!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

FourLeaf posted:

So far it's not looking too good for those of us hoping for a big Trump convention bounce. Halfway through and the convention's been a half-empty debacle.

polls aren't released on the same day that the actual polling is done :ughh:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, we still have a good 3-4 days until the earliest "bumps" will pan out. That said, the run-up is probably getting baked in (along with the French attack fallout and the Turkey Coup....god, seems like forever ago, not a week).

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

a cop posted:

I think the trump speech ratings are gonna be below 35 million for sure.

This has doubled since I posted it

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Lutha Mahtin posted:

polls aren't released on the same day that the actual polling is done :ughh:

I assume you know that there's a lot of things you could have bet on that would have benefited from a convention bump, not just this week's poll market. Here's a non-exhaustive list off the top of my head:

Trump.USPrez16.YES
Clinton.USPrez16.NO
Dem.PrezParty.NO
Rep.PrezParty.YES
370.DEMPREZ16.NO
Plenty of swing states but especially NC.USPREZ16

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

EngineerSean posted:

I assume you know that there's a lot of things you could have bet on that would have benefited from a convention bump, not just this week's poll market.

My post was just astonishment that someone reading this thread wouldn't understand the basic way that most all polls are conducted, where they do the polling over a few days and then check over things for a couple days/weeks before releasing it. I'm sure the bounces will provide good opportunities for flips and cheap shares though!

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Johnson Fundraising trip report: it was B3.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I made a decent return (in my small-stakes way) just buying a bunch of B1 no and B5 no last week.

That market was hilariously out of whack, the yeses added up to like 120 most of the time.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

If 39.9 million or fewer people tune into Trump's speech I win big. Lots of people are going by historical #s and I'm hopin' that enough people have stopped giving a poo poo about tuning into things live these days that it'll make up the difference. People are forgetting that we've largely become a streaming culture over the last few years.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

a cop posted:

If 39.9 million or fewer people tune into Trump's speech I win big. Lots of people are going by historical #s and I'm hopin' that enough people have stopped giving a poo poo about tuning into things live these days that it'll make up the difference. People are forgetting that we've largely become a streaming culture over the last few years.

I think they include dvr in ratings now right?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Baddog posted:

Even so, aint nobody got cable these days.

SHINEBLOCKA
Oct 17, 2009

I've got it in for your girlf
yuh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Baddog posted:

They're using the set of Neilsen ratings that get released the day after broadcast. I don't follow the ratings industry but my guess would be these numbers won't include many DVRs, if any.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

My post was just astonishment that someone reading this thread wouldn't understand the basic way that most all polls are conducted, where they do the polling over a few days and then check over things for a couple days/weeks before releasing it. I'm sure the bounces will provide good opportunities for flips and cheap shares though!

I'm well aware of how polls are conducted; I was referring to markets like "Which Party will win the 2016 Presidential Election?" where if the convention had been perceived as a rousing success, I would have expected to see a steadily rising price shift each day. People don't always wait for polls before buying.

EngineerSean posted:

I assume you know that there's a lot of things you could have bet on that would have benefited from a convention bump, not just this week's poll market. Here's a non-exhaustive list off the top of my head:

Trump.USPrez16.YES
Clinton.USPrez16.NO
Dem.PrezParty.NO
Rep.PrezParty.YES
370.DEMPREZ16.NO
Plenty of swing states but especially NC.USPREZ16

This post, basically.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Trump with $26m in June receipts, dammit!

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

fist bump man

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I have no idea why Johnson >1million NO dropped to 40 for a bit, but thanks for the $$$$

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

FourLeaf posted:

I'm well aware of how polls are conducted; I was referring to markets like "Which Party will win the 2016 Presidential Election?" where if the convention had been perceived as a rousing success, I would have expected to see a steadily rising price shift each day. People don't always wait for polls before buying.

The phrase "convention bounce", when used to describe a US Presidential race, refers to poll numbers. Your pet definition (backpedal?) here makes even less sense than if you had used the generally accepted definition, since the assumption it relies upon is that users of an obscure website for politics nerds has a significant portion of its user population who would change their opinion based on a modern major-party convention.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yes and we're on a site full of other people who know this and we're all trying to predict what everyone else will do before they do it.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The phrase "convention bounce", when used to describe a US Presidential race, refers to poll numbers.

What the hell? I don't know why you've decided I can use a word in only one way and never apply it to new situations, but the meaning was obvious. The only person backpedaling here is you.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Your pet definition (backpedal?) here makes even less sense than if you had used the generally accepted definition, since the assumption it relies upon is that users of an obscure website for politics nerds has a significant portion of its user population who would change their opinion based on a modern major-party convention.

How the gently caress does it make "even less sense"? There are plenty of examples of people on PI changing their opinion based on events rather than polls. The first one that comes to mind is Christie humiliating Rubio in the debate before the New Hampshire primary. Rubio shares immediately started dropping before the debate was even over. It's not exactly a far loving stretch to think something similar could possibly happen during the convention.

But go ahead and keep being an obnoxious pedant.

FourLeaf has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That indictment contract was hilariously mispriced. At one point it was a 67/33 favorite!

• Locked thread