Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

More mini-RPGs need to be handwritten in the single-sheet booklet format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Not related to forums the posting but I made a 2 person boardgame ruleset on a fugue state about twitter slapfights/controversies where you could either drum for sympathy from random followers or try to make the other player have a mental breakdown and all the card options were logical fallacies, insults and insincere arguments.

I also designed the first expansion to be about family holiday dinners to see who would be the first person to throw a plate of food at/stab with a salad fork their kin over politics, sports or past grudges.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Skunkrocker posted:

EDIT:

It's more of a supplement, an addon to the existing WOD canon.

That being said, you're right but I'm doing it anyway because honestly? I already started and now I can't stop writing. Don't worry, it's not Forums: the Posting, which honestly I now want to make.

That's fair enough. I'm just burned out by the WW format in general. Like, if you want to make a game about anteaters, I'd rather someone try and fail to make their own mechanics rather than see Anteater: The Anteating, where there are 5 anteater Types and 5 different Schools of the art of Anteating (and they all have snarky high-school opinions about each other). Where you gain power by boosting your Tongue stat, increasing your Tasty Ants and combine to fight the Aardvark menace, which also has 5 Types of aardvarks and 5 Colleges that all have snarky opinions about how to eat termites and so on and so on and so on

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Simian_Prime posted:

That's fair enough. I'm just burned out by the WW format in general. Like, if you want to make a game about anteaters, I'd rather someone try and fail to make their own mechanics rather than see Anteater: The Anteating, where there are 5 anteater Types and 5 different Schools of the art of Anteating (and they all have snarky high-school opinions about each other). Where you gain power by boosting your Tongue stat, increasing your Tasty Ants and combine to fight the Aardvark menace, which also has 5 Types of aardvarks and 5 Colleges that all have snarky opinions about how to eat termites and so on and so on and so on

Yeah, that's kind of always been their thing; split it into further and further groups so they can all bicker with each other, yet still have to get along. It's really loving lame.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Simian_Prime posted:

I feel like you've given this Anteater supplement quite a bit of thought

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Enough about that, what cool powers can I buy as a pangolin?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Enough about that, what cool powers can I buy as a pangolin?

Delicious.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Simian_Prime posted:

For as niche a case as this I can agree with this, but for a more generic idea I can't fault people for working within a system that works as opposed to coming up with a whole new one. It's not nearly as easy as it sounds.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The whole WW system is pretty mediocre though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
White Wolf continues to use splats because they work. They're a really effective means of helping people make characters that fit into the setting and guide their inspirations down channels without people saying "but what do I do with it?".*

They don't always work, especially in games that are so thematically tight or incoherent that subdividing PCs is either unnecessary or muddled (Mummy is the first one, Geist is the second), but it keeps coming back because it's a proven technique.

* I keep trying to figure out how to add splats to Nobilis to solve this problem, which is odd because Nobilis has splats; they just apply to Imperators and player characters are warned against identifying with them too hard. It's an interesting problem!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

* I keep trying to figure out how to add splats to Nobilis to solve this problem, which is odd because Nobilis has splats; they just apply to Imperators and player characters are warned against identifying with them too hard. It's an interesting problem!

Why would you feel the need to do this? The entire Key system is made to help you figure this out, and is quiet good at it. The thing Nobilis needs is a more defined conflict system, not changes to character creation.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hell there are extensive sections on the different Songs. They're tied up in a lot of unnecessary prose, but they exist and are (with the exception of Light) well defined and interesting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

Why would you feel the need to do this? The entire Key system is made to help you figure this out, and is quiet good at it. The thing Nobilis needs is a more defined conflict system, not changes to character creation.

Lots of people have said that they find lifepaths confusing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Lots of people have said that they find lifepaths confusing.

Weird, they're very straightforward. Again, they're probably getting caught up in the prose.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

So uh, I'm just gonna leave this here because it's really something else.

http://www.glyphsrpg.com/ (Possibly NWS, reports of naked female Poser models)

quote:

The Token System TM is a Tabletop Role Playing Game Engine that implements a specially crafted Coin known as "The Token TM," bearing symbols known as 'Glyphs' and a hole through the center used to pinpoint the success or failure of an action.

This system is the original one of its kind. The Token TM is used to determine the outcome of random probabilities, variables and player actions. 'Grids' of concentric shapes are employed in conjunction with many scenarios The Token TM is used in.

Players Spin, Slide, Flip or Toss The Token TM relative to the context, which determines how The Token TM is to be used for that instant. This presents a new dimension of immersion in the Role Playing experience in addition to the results of random probabilities....the player's own skill!

The Token System TM gives players more control over their Characters rather than solely relying on the random outcome conveyed by Dice.

Insert Token to play!

:psyduck:

Supplementary reading in this "design journal" : http://roleplayerschronicle.com/?p=47610

quote:

Influences
I intentionally had as little influence as possible so that I could create something truly unique without being swayed by other sources. Mechanically, the vast majority of RPG’s available are clones or various takes on other systems, as good as they may be. I wanted to completely avoid my game being just another flavor of fantasy. Glyphs is an RPG system and yet is very much its own thing. However, the development of the Token System that Glyphs uses was inspired by the Tarot. I have over 15 years of experience in reading Tarot and studying symbols.

Research
Research was generally done on the spot for specific mechanics and calculations for the sake of accuracy. Having an extensive background playing D&D, I basically plugged in everything that I would want to see in an RPG from a rules standpoint. I then researched online forums and weighed a list of what elements should be included, and refined the game into 26 chapters.

:gonk:

This things is 454 pages long, and yet he repeatedly refers to it as a barebones system.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 21, 2016

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Scyther posted:

Having an extensive background playing D&D

abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Not only do they sell a GM's screen, but you can purchase a Quick Gen screen to hasten the character generation process :stonk: It has just as much info on it as the GM's screen.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That poser art is making Plutonis horny!!!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Judging by the art, Glyphs is set in the mystical land of The Uncanny Valley.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i have zero idea what that token actually does but it looks cool as hell aesthetically

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Countblanc posted:

i have zero idea what that token actually does but it looks cool as hell aesthetically

Just open up the .pdf and try to make sense of the pages immediately following the Poser Golem. But yes, it LOOKS badass.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
You know to run when someone says they "don't want to be influenced by outside sources". At best that means "can't be hosed to learn or understand new systems" and at worst "I am a dangerous mental patient, my dog tells me to burn things and make bad elfgames".

In other news, does anyone have that power selection cheat sheet Andy made for Double Cross?

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Countblanc posted:

You toss it onto the table and the center-most glyph* is the result ( I assume the 'roller's' perspective) like a compass.

*If more than one read them clockwise, left to right. Of course if they are evenly apart, then you get to argue with the GM that you really wanted to roll All Seeing Eye and not Spanner or something.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

Weird, they're very straightforward. Again, they're probably getting caught up in the prose.

It also may be that they just aren't as helpful if you have a vague concept like "I want to be a frat boy who's the Sun" or "I think it would be nice to be the ruler of the ocean" and the part they have trouble with is fitting that into the game's social milieu. Like, is being a frat boy the path to being the god everybody thinks is dumb, or is Apollonian hedonism common in this setting? If I want to be the person who thinks all these fancy names are pretentious and performs divine interventions in a Superman T-shirt, is that fairly normal, or am I a rebel against orthodoxy, or am I being an rear end in a top hat who's refusing to play in-genre?

This is where splats are helpful because they make it really clear what positions are considered "normal" in-setting. The Songs don't fill this role that well, because they're splats that you're encouraged to look at and throw parts of back, so they aren't as good at displaying social norms for Nobilis.

I've been working on an outline for Nobilis 4e for a while now, and one of the big things I want 4e to do is make it clear that each player group is going to be doing a lot to define the world just by working out their own domains and by creating NPCs.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm honestly surprised it took about 45 pages for that game to get around to having a naked female Poser character.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

It also may be that they just aren't as helpful if you have a vague concept like "I want to be a frat boy who's the Sun" or "I think it would be nice to be the ruler of the ocean" and the part they have trouble with is fitting that into the game's social milieu. Like, is being a frat boy the path to being the god everybody thinks is dumb...
This is where splats are helpful because they make it really clear what positions are considered "normal" in-setting.

Did... did you play in that lovely Changeling game too? Cause this literally happened, except splats didn't help make it any dumber of a character.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Rand Brittain posted:

It also may be that they just aren't as helpful if you have a vague concept like "I want to be a frat boy who's the Sun" or "I think it would be nice to be the ruler of the ocean" and the part they have trouble with is fitting that into the game's social milieu. Like, is being a frat boy the path to being the god everybody thinks is dumb, or is Apollonian hedonism common in this setting? If I want to be the person who thinks all these fancy names are pretentious and performs divine interventions in a Superman T-shirt, is that fairly normal, or am I a rebel against orthodoxy, or am I being an rear end in a top hat who's refusing to play in-genre?

This is where splats are helpful because they make it really clear what positions are considered "normal" in-setting. The Songs don't fill this role that well, because they're splats that you're encouraged to look at and throw parts of back, so they aren't as good at displaying social norms for Nobilis.

I've been working on an outline for Nobilis 4e for a while now, and one of the big things I want 4e to do is make it clear that each player group is going to be doing a lot to define the world just by working out their own domains and by creating NPCs.

As it is, with Nobilis in both editions I've read, the issue is that the game does not actually have a social milieu to speak of described in the books (A Society of Flowers never came out, right?)

Like, we're given rough general ideas of how many other Familia there might be on Earth, but very little suggestion on how to use them other than the 2e sample campaign suggesting "Interact with these three families" (which is pretty cool) or 3e seeming to vaguely suggest "and in this adventure, the Takari Risu pops up".

I have no clue what most Nobles are doing with their day to day, and 'splats' would probably help less than general categories. Are most of them fighting the in War? As a GM, should I be including them regularly? Do most of them just chill out and tend to their Estate? How does that work, anyway? Is the world almost fluid because of all the crazy things Nobles could be doing that's constantly changing the world?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Skunkrocker posted:

Did... did you play in that lovely Changeling game too? Cause this literally happened, except splats didn't help make it any dumber of a character.

I wasn't really talking about the objective quality of the concept, but about what characters in-setting will think of it. Is it okay to have a vampire who thinks all the Traditions are dumb? Does that make me a rebel or just an idiot who doesn't believe in things that are obviously correct in-character? The existence of Anarchs indicate that this is something you can do.

Nobilis isn't as clear on whether refusing to engage in fancy magical tea parties and use really big words is a political stance, just really gauche, or refusing to engage with the premise. (The answer is meant to be "depends on the needs of your table" but this could be more explicit.)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
crossposting from the warmahordes thread

i just got back into the stupid money hole known as miniatures, what's a decent and inexpensive carrying case for the foam for my stupid plastic dolls

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Literally The Worst posted:

i just got back into the stupid money hole known as miniatures, what's a decent and inexpensive carrying case for the foam for my stupid plastic dolls

Everyone is going to tell you to get something from KR Multicase.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Swagger Dagger posted:

Everyone is going to tell you to get something from KR Multicase.

yeah im not paying for kr multicase. they're nice poo poo, but they're way more than i want to pay for taking it between my house, the car, and the shop (where, if im being honest, i'll probably end up leaving it at some point because i have a key to the back room)

i'd like to get an Army Transport case but i'm not sure if i can get them through one of our distributors or not

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Nobilis isn't as clear on whether refusing to engage in fancy magical tea parties and use really big words is a political stance, just really gauche, or refusing to engage with the premise. (The answer is meant to be "depends on the needs of your table" but this could be more explicit.)

Ah ok, yeah the culture/politics of the Powers could use more thorough explanation. It's more like a collection of weird short stories as it is.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

When I still played I used this Makita Case with closed cell foam glued to foam board. Could be a bit tight for larger armies, but somehow I made it work. I guess it depends on how deep into the rabbit hole you are going. If going for more than one army, you could always look at contractor chests. Cheap, ugly as sin, but they work and have durable wheels for curb hopping. Can even slap a padlock on it for minimal security, if that's your thing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

paradoxGentleman posted:

Genius the Transgression is good.

This is Objectively Wrong™. Like I'd rather play this Highlander WoD game. Luckily it's on track for full release at GenCon '95!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

yeah im not paying for kr multicase. they're nice poo poo, but they're way more than i want to pay for taking it between my house, the car, and the shop (where, if im being honest, i'll probably end up leaving it at some point because i have a key to the back room)
The lowest-end KR is literally a cardboard box with foam in it.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

This is Objectively Wrong™. Like I'd rather play this Highlander WoD game. Luckily it's on track for full release at GenCon '95!

There is a nWoD supplement called Immortals that never directly references Highlander, but hints at it's existence. I always wondered about that, like how it would quote the Queen songs in the margins, or straight up say the plot to the films, but then if you search the entire book top to bottom Highlander just never gets mentioned by name.

I wonder if it was just to piss this one guy off. Nerds have a history of doing dumb things like that.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

now that's a dwarf

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Simian_Prime posted:

Judging by the art, Glyphs is set in the mystical land of The Uncanny Valley.

No, the uncanny valley is cyberpunk, not some generic fantasy trash

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Glyphs random NPC generation posted:

1- ‘Spin’ the Token Twice to establish the Character’s level of Clothing. Interpret the Digits from 0-9 as an overall 'EN' Index Value.
SCANTILY [EN Index 1-3]: EX: Dressed only in Under Garments, Tops, Bottoms, Swimwear, Socks, Sandals, Gloves or Accessories that complement the attire.
CASUALLY [EN Index 4-7]: EX: Dressed in compatible combinations of the following Articles: Under Garments, Socks, T-shirt, Tunic, Blouse, Shorts, Casual Pants, Sweat Shirt / Pants, Skirt, Tights, Gi, Sandals, Accessories.
ADEQUATE [EN Index 8-27]: EX: Dressed in compatible combinations of the following Apparel Articles: Under Garments, Socks, Polo / Dress Shirt, Field Pants, Dress Slacks, Dress, Jump Suits, Wet Suits, Battle Uniform, Robe, Hat, Hood, Vest, Shoes, Boots, Accessories.
HEAVILY [EN Index 28-60 or more]: EX: Dressed in compatible combinations of ‘Adequate’ Clothing Levels, in addition to the following Articles: Snow Suit, Coat / Jacket, Cloak.

2- OPTIONAL STEP. This step is available for more detailed randomization but may be skipped. 'Spin' the Token into the Omni Grid to establish whether or not the Character is actually wearing the Apparel Article eligible for the level of Clothing determined in the last step. The Token’s (+) side in this context means ‘YES’, while the (--) side means ‘NO.’ Unless you want to risk the Character being exposed after Random Generation, we recommend as a bare minimum to have the Character wearing Under Garments or Tops / Bottoms by default. Also, if the Character is ‘Casually’, ‘Adequately’ or ‘Heavily Dressed’, you may choose to assume that Undergarments and Socks of some type are being worn. A bit of common sense is needed during this phase. While you are determining which Apparel types are being worn, if your Token Flip yields an Article that has the same function as the initial Article, you can either ignore it or replace the original Article to avoid your Character wearing two of a similar Apparel Article on top of each other.

3- For each Apparel Article the Character is wearing or for an overall assessment, determine the Article’s Index Values. 'Spin' the Token and interpret the Element Glyphs for each Article’s 3 Index Values (EN, IM, CF). Depending on each Article’s Index limits, either no Token Flip is ecessary, or you may have to re-flip.

1- 'Spin' the Token into the Omni Grid to determine the Apparel Article’s condition. The Token’s (+) side in this context means ‘New / Good Condition’, while the (--) side means ‘Used / Ragged Condition.’

2- Determine the material the Apparel Article is made from. 'Spin' the Token into the Omni Grid. The Letter Zone that the Token’s sights fall within is the first letter in the Material's name to be used. Repeat the process up to 4 more times until a Material's name can be narrowed down from the letter clues.

Default Materials
COTTON – DENIM – SILK – LEATHER – HEMP – FUR – NYLON – SPANDEX – POLYESTER – FLANNEL – WOOL JUTE – RUBBER – VELVET – CASHMERE – RAYON – CANVAS – LINEN – BURLAP – SKIN – CORDUROY SUEDE - FLEECE - MICROFIBER

3- Finally, you need to determine the Article’s Color dyes and Patterns or Textures. ‘Spin’ or ‘Flip’ the Token inside the Omni Grid. The Color Zone where the Token’s Sights land designates the Article Material’s Color. Furthermore, the States Glyphs should be interpreted as the Article’s Color Patterns or Textures. You may ignore the States Glyphs if you do not want any specific Patterns or Textures. If ‘Design’ is a result, then create a design that best fits the Character’s physical appearance or Bio. Regarding Patterns and Textures, ‘Spin’ or ‘Flip’ the Token again to discover their own Color that contrasts against the Material’s Color.

I think at least half of the 400 pages are 'spin the token into the omni grid and interpret the result as a number from 1 to 4 using this key [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]' every time they want to say 'roll a d4'.

xiw fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

xiw posted:

now that's a dwarf

Actually I think that's Daniel Bryan.

Skunkrocker posted:

There is a nWoD supplement called Immortals that never directly references Highlander, but hints at it's existence. I always wondered about that, like how it would quote the Queen songs in the margins, or straight up say the plot to the films, but then if you search the entire book top to bottom Highlander just never gets mentioned by name.

I wonder if it was just to piss this one guy off. Nerds have a history of doing dumb things like that.

Most likely, it's just an attempt to avoid having the owners of Highlander come after them. After all, if you entirely copy something but don't directly name it, you're in the clear!

I wouldn't be surprised if these guys had never heard of 1994's hottest net.supplement at all.

• Locked thread