Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Ok, class. Let's do this instead.

Sell me on a PS4.

Here's my situation: I've got both a Xbox One and a PC (Intel i7-4770 3.40 GHz w/ GeForce 970 GTX). So, my PC is a lot more powerful than both the Xbox One & PS4. I primarily get my single player games on PC now. Steam is wayyy cheaper for new AAA releases (also, thanks to stuff like g2a.com) and they look 10x better on my PC than consoles. But, I buy all of my multiplayer games on Xbox One. All of my friends are on Xbox. When things like Battlefield One comes out, I gotta roll with my Xbox crew. In a more perfect world, a PC + PS4 would be the combo to roll with as there's hardly any games on Xbox One that don't come to PC. But, I'm married to the Xbone because my friends. Getting new friends is not an option.

So, I'm trying to rack my brain if the PS4 exclusives are reaaaally that worth it. Cause they look loving sweet. And the VR looks crazzzy. But, I'm starting to wonder if I would be better to just invest into an Oculus Rift or something that can do better than the PS4 VR. I'm worried that while the PS4 VR is inferior hardware, the support is gonna be much larger & better than the Oculus platform.

Another appeal is that I never had a PS3. I know with the Playstation Now, you can stream some PS3 games to the PS4 and it does a great job of it. So, there's a lot to catch up there with.

Games I'm interested in:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Uncharted series (I loooooved Tomb Raider)
No Man's Sky
The Last of Us
Spider-Man by Insomniac
Ratchet & Clank
Until Dawn
God of War
Last Guardian
Detroit: Become Human / Hard Rain / Beyond: Two Souls
Lots of indie games
Playstation VR

Steam is a wayyy better value. But those PS4 exclusives aren't going anywhere. Now....I've got enough Steam games and some Xbox One games to last me forever on my backlogged poo poo. But, I figure a PS4 could be good to use these birthday gift cards on..

Convinced on:
- The Playstation exclusives and lots of them
- Catching up on PS3 games via Playstation Now
- Spotify in my games? gently caress yeah
- It's the superior console.

Worried about :
- My preexisting large backlog
- Not gonna really be using it for multiplayer
- Playstation VR vs. Oculus Rift?

I know I'm overthinking this.

89 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If you have a solid PC then your reasons to buy a PS4 fall through the floor unless you really, really want Naughty Dog's exclusives and a smattering of other titles besides. VR is not a consideration. VR is a joke whose punchline will land a couple years later when all its early adopters have no games and less money.

Playstation Now is also a laggy mess and its title selection is erratic at best.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if you have a capable PC and want VR, you should get a Vive or a Rift

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you will probably not use a ps4 very much

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For the price you can buy a PS4 and all those games you want to play, or just an Oculus.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

buy a ps4 and play the games on your list. by this time next year ps4 will have 10 or 12 good exclusives finally with more on the way.

wait on vr for at least another 12 months imo. nothing coming out is worth the outlay

sell your xbo and play those games on your pc.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Real hurthling! posted:

sell your xbo and play those games on your pc.
you missed the part where all his friends are idiots

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Play the games in your backlog and donate $300 to the charity of your choice. That would be the responsible thing to do.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

you missed the part where all his friends are idiots

ouch
probably should sever from a group of men who play team shooters with controller

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

89 posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Uncharted series (I loooooved Tomb Raider)
No Man's Sky
The Last of Us
Spider-Man by Insomniac
Ratchet & Clank
Until Dawn
God of War
Last Guardian
Detroit: Become Human / Hard Rain / Beyond: Two Souls
Lots of indie games
Playstation VR

Most of these aren't out yet, and if you want to get into VR get a PC headset.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Get a PS4 cos they're cool and we're in the PS4 thread :cool:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ps4 is a mandatory purchase around late february/march 2017 imo.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Depends on whether the Neo is out by then :\

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

we'll know in september. leaks say this year with reveal at TGS

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

haveblue posted:

Most of these aren't out yet, and if you want to get into VR get a PC headset.
Yeah, the PC headsets are much better, PSVR is for cheapskates or those who can't stand the thought of a lot of extra setup to get a better experience

I fit in both those categories but honestly there are still too many problems with both, like the tendency of them to be mostly tech demos and awkwardness in setup/controls. I think PSVR is making an effort to be more user friendly but who knows how long that will hold up and the visual quality difference is a big one

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo PS4 has hit the point where it's worth owning for exclusives and by next year it should be even more so. I don't think anyone knows if VR is going to be worth it, but PSVR does seem like it's at least initially going to have the most software support.

I might be overestimating the value of the exclusives though since probably 60% of my total PS4 play time has been Naughty Dog games and Bloodborne.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Real hurthling! posted:

Persona 5 what up

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Literally The Worst posted:

Persona 5 what up

Delayed to 2019

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I'm bored of my games and want to play an rpg. Should I pre-purchase fractured but whole to be able to play stick of truth right now?

Can't get the money back so I'm basically paying 60 for stick of truth until December when a game is suddenly out that may or may not be worth it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that seems kind of silly to me unless you were planning on paying 60 for the new game anyway

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Awesome! posted:

that seems kind of silly to me unless you were planning on paying 60 for the new game anyway

I'm expecting to want the new game based on initial stuff I've seen on it, and I have heard good things about the first game.

Still, you're right, it definitely seems kind of silly, hence why I'm seeking validation instead of downloading it right now.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i would say no but maybe someone else will chime in with that yes so you can justify hitting the button to yourself

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Aphrodite posted:

Haha, so now there's not enough shooting? Jesus Christ.

No one is ever happy. Some people want a game where Nathan never shoots anything, others want him to be PTSD case like Max Payne. Then there are the people who want the game to be TLOU, which thank god it isn't because I thought that game was so dour and awful I couldn't even bother finishing it. Uncharted is basically video game Indiana Jones. UC2 probably idealized this best, but all of the games have something to offer and UC4 is probably the most drama laden since it is essentially Drake's swansong.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Awesome! posted:

i would say no but maybe someone else will chime in with that yes so you can justify hitting the button to yourself

Ha, yeah, as I hesitate and read more about the game, I'm thinking you're right. I'll just wait until hyper light drifter next week.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

89 posted:

Ok, class. Let's do this instead.

Sell me on a PS4.

I have all the consoles, a PC with GTX 980 Ti, and a pile of VR headsets. Get a PS4. Get all the things. It's blisssssss.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Jewce posted:

Ha, yeah, as I hesitate and read more about the game, I'm thinking you're right. I'll just wait until hyper light drifter next week.

I actually picked up Stick of Truth with the Fractured but Whole preorder earlier this month because I had Sonybux. I beat the game once, and have to go back through for some other trophies, but the gameplay itself is pretty solid. The RPG elements are well-executed and the dialogue manages to be pretty funny, most of the time. I had a lot of fun with it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

you shut up its still coming out next winter

alternately, but enough about the last guardian

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Jewce posted:

If you are a South Park fan the Stick of Truth is really fun and pretty great to get for free. If Fractured But Whole is even 75% as good you'll be happy with both games.

E: MONGORIANZ!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmISQHWIXM8

ReverendDre fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 21, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jewce posted:

I'm expecting to want the new game based on initial stuff I've seen on it, and I have heard good things about the first game.

Still, you're right, it definitely seems kind of silly, hence why I'm seeking validation instead of downloading it right now.
I've seen Stick Of Truth in sales, so if you don't have time free right now it's not like you won't have another chance

Of course it goes on sales and bundles more on PC but that's your call, since it's turn based the platform shouldn't matter too terribly much

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I got stick of truth and it ended up being one of my fav games of the year and worth the $80 Cdn on its own. Usually never buy digital unless it's a big sale.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

stick of truth had some great set pieces and the writing was funny but the combat drags after a while. the new game adding tactics style grids to the combat looks like a huge improvement but i haven't watched the show since before the last game came out so i'm afraid that it will have really lovely writing this time around.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i didnt say no because stick of truth is a bad game. i just think it seems silly to pay $60 to mostly get a code for a game that regularly goes for <$10. thats why i added "unless you are planning to pay 60 for the new one anyway"

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

IkeTurner posted:

I have all the consoles, a PC with GTX 980 Ti, and a pile of VR headsets. Get a PS4. Get all the things. It's blisssssss.

I like this idea. I've decided I'm going to revisit this idea this fall when most of the games I want are out on the system.

In the mean time...I'll have the living room ready.

*orders Amazon Echo and Hue lights*

:cool:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Never buy a console unless you can't live without an exclusive that is currently out. You have more entertainment to last you for 2 years without buying another piece of media. Maybe more. If you like
Naughty Dog Games
Quirky Japanese stuff
Then sure, pick up a PS4. Otherwise, you're set.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I got the Stick of Truth from Gamefly and while I was impressed at how well they adapted the style and humor of the TV show, I hated the combat system and the game world map and figuring out what to do next/where to go etc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just wait to buy a ps4 until the new model is released and the base is given a price cut imo

that being said, I bought one just so I could play bloodborne and don't regret it but most people probably aren't as bad with money as I am

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shadow225 posted:

Never buy a console unless you can't live without an exclusive that is currently out. You have more entertainment to last you for 2 years without buying another piece of media. Maybe more. If you like
Naughty Dog Games
Quirky Japanese stuff
Then sure, pick up a PS4. Otherwise, you're set.
More and more quirky Japanese stuff is ending up on Steam.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I am enjoying Neverwinter but I noticed high amounts of disdain for DC Universe Online in the zone chats. I like DCUO :(

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Samurai Sanders posted:

More and more quirky Japanese stuff is ending up on Steam.
Yeah, and the few things that aren't are usually on Vita instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

stick of truth had some great set pieces and the writing was funny but the combat drags after a while. the new game adding tactics style grids to the combat looks like a huge improvement but i haven't watched the show since before the last game came out so i'm afraid that it will have really lovely writing this time around.

It' currently quite a bit better than it was when Stick of truth came out. Last season was one of the best in years. Although I'd say you might want to watch it before playing because the previews have a ton of stuff from the last season that might not make sense if you haven't watched it.

• Locked thread