Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Please God, let Dan Patrick run for national office. I will never get tired of watching Texas Republicans get clowned on the moment they leave this hugbox of a state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Still waiting on the name of that one good restaurant in Wichita Falls.

I'm rather partial to Samurai of Tokyo, I freely acknowledge that there are probably better Japanese restaurants, but it was my mom's favorite restaurant, and I have a lot of positive associations with it. Plus I really do love their fried rice.

The Mandingo posted:

287 and I44. Stopped there on the drive from Dallas to Palo Duro last fall.

That Wal-Mart has a Subway now? I don't think did when I left.

TheMaskedChemist fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 20, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/wsvn/status/755445681301561344

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
That has to be a slide at a private residence, right? All the waterparks I've ever been to (though as a goon, not many) have much higher walls on the curves.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it keeps making me rewind the bad part!!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/755838530417364993

Texas turning blue soon, y'all

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ehehehe.

Fifth Circuit too right? Not exactly an activist bench.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

How does requiring ID such as a drivers license, passport, or whatever to vote discriminates against races? Is there something obvious here I'm just not seeing?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Back Hack posted:

How does requiring ID such as a drivers license, passport, or whatever to vote discriminates against races? Is there something obvious here I'm just not seeing?

Because it's a poll tax, but since it's a tax on time instead of money, it's legal!
Free time of course being something that poor people don't always have a lot of. And wealth tracks with race due to racist history.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Didn't Alabama do the same then promptly close like half the offices in the state that you could get an ID at?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Back Hack posted:

That's how institutional racism works. It's not apparrent but somehow it just turns out that demos that tend to go Democratic, like women, minorities and students are more likely not to have the required ID, because the system is tailor made for white middle class people. So, while most people regardless of background can meet the reqs just fine, it chips away at turnout and makes it so more people can't get to the polls, and those people are more likely to be minorities. Hence, racism.

Say you're a black woman, you are more likely to be poor and not have a car, so not only do you have to take a day off of your statistically more likely bad job with no PTO to go vote, you have to take one get an ID specifically to vote, because what do you need a driver's license for? A lot of these hypothetical women will go ahead and take the two days off, and a lot probably weren't going to take the day off to vote in the first place, but that number in the middle, the ones who can afford one day but not two, they're the ones disenfranchised. (and that's not even accounting for the fact that women way more often then men will have changed their names in marriage, so hope all the paperwork made its way to the right offices and nothing is mispelled) So that's a small number, one in a thousand, but in a state of millions, it's a lot of votes. And we could sit here all day long and come up with reasons why someone might not have an ID for all kinds of reasons for all kinds of different people and circumstances.

It's probably not as pernicious as a poll tax but it does depress turnout from between 2-10ish percent, depending on the data. It can swing close elections but the real problem with it is that it's loving with the freeness and fairness of elections and we can't tolerate slight or even negligible erosions of that right.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Easiest example is what if you're a 90 year old lifelong red-blooded American and want to vote but don't have the correct ID and you live in an old folks home? Do you lose the right to vote simply because you're Father Time incarnate?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Back Hack posted:

I initially felt the same way until I read more about the subject. What's the big deal, who can't go get an ID or DL at the local DPS facility? Take a long lunch at work, hop in the car drive over and show the appropriate documents. No big deal right? Wrong. I couldn't empathize with people that didn't have jobs that afforded that flexibility, or folks that didn't have a car, or folks that didn't have appropriate documents.

Turns out there's about 500,000 people in Texas that it's a hardship (according to one article I read), and that suppresses 500,000 potential voters. I don't give a poo poo what kind of voters they are, or who they vote for, voting is something everyone in this country should be able to do. Don't get me started on voter turnout which is pathetic.

Here's a story about a gentleman in Austin. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/oct/27/texas-vote-id-proof-certificate-minority-law

This rear end in a top hat actually brags about how effective Pensylvania's laws were in affecting the outcome of an election

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rob-gleason-voter-id-pennsylvania_n_3613057

How difficult it can be for some folks to get proper ID needed to vote with these stupid laws in place

http://www.brennancenter.org/publication/challenge-obtaining-voter-identification

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/keesha-gaskins/the-challenge-of-obtainin_b_1701755.html

Another problem is getting people to actually vote. When I voted in the primaries I watched dozens of people leave without voting because of equipment issues and long lines. It took me almost 2 hours to cast a vote. I have the luxury of being able to take those 2 hours off work. That's not a reality for many people, and the majority of those people tend to vote Democrat. The Republicans are trying everything they can to stay in power, bullshit redistricting, voter ID laws, trying to limit polling hours, polling locations, mail in ballots, voter registration. They're throwing everything they can think of at it.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 20, 2016

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
It's funny how people have to come up with these scenarios where something as basic as having an ID is a hardship - as if there are these doe-eyed black grannies wanting to cast their vote and they get scared away by the confusing requirements of 'having ID'

It really boils down to : Republicans think it will help them, Democrats think it will hurt them. That's all you need to know. Everything else is just rationalizations.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

oswald ownenstein posted:

It's funny how people have to come up with these scenarios where something as basic as having an ID is a hardship - as if there are these doe-eyed black grannies wanting to cast their vote and they get scared away by the confusing requirements of 'having ID'

It really boils down to : Republicans think it will help them, Democrats think it will hurt them. That's all you need to know. Everything else is just rationalizations.

Strict ID laws don't turn away many voters at the polls, but they keep lots from showing up at all

quote:

Researchers at the Baker Institute and the University of Houston’s Hobby Center for Public Policy asked 400 registered voters in Gallego’s district the reasons they didn’t vote in 2014. Too busy was the main reason given by a quarter of them. Lacking a proper photo ID was the main reason for 5.8 percent, with another 7 percent citing it as one reason. But the researchers found that most of those who said they didn’t vote because they didn’t have the right ID actually did have one.

karlor fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 20, 2016

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Would you like to drop any other truth bombs on us while you're here?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Reminder that the Voter ID law actually kept Greg Abbott and Wendy Davis from voting in the gubernatorial primary.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Hot take, next caller.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Page 47 of the ruling cites a study which "revealed that Hispanic registered voters and Black registered voters were respectively 195% and 305% more likely than their Anglo peers to lack SB 14 ID."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

1stGear posted:

Reminder that the Voter ID law actually kept Greg Abbott and Wendy Davis from voting in the gubernatorial primary.

Proof positive this law harms women and disabled people, at the very least.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Ok, you guys convinced me

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

My white-as-hell grandmother is 95 or 96 (we're not sure) and basically all her documents were lost in a fire during the depression. She's never been able to get an ID. She's voted in every election since, I think... 36. IDs really weren't that important until recently. People could totally live without them for ages.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

computer parts posted:

Or Waffle House. :(

bruh, im not sure if you're old enough or have lived in cs long enough, but before they tore it down and built something there, right when you would get off of 2818 at the university exit, before northgate starts (like over by what used to be zapatos, bar-ber-shots, daisy dukes) there was a diner called the deluxe diner. that place was the tits. but i think they closed it down in 2005/6

im spoiled after living in austin for a couple of years, but yeah i cant really think of a legit breakfast place. BCS needs a kirby lane

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BiohazrD posted:

BCS needs a kirby lane

it would be burned to the ground before the grand opening

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lisaknilsson/status/755936797364981760

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao our brave, litigious warrior

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Is he drunk AF, or just googly eyed o_O

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

probably both. it's the convention and he ALWAYS does the one-lazy-eyelid

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah his eye is hosed up.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Name the good restaurant. I dare you.

There's a Cracker Barrel.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

foot posted:

There's a Cracker Barrel.

I needed a good, big laugh this morning, thanks. :)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

He sues Obama!!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

blue squares posted:

He sues Obama!!

I'd sue Obama too but I get just as much done picking poo poo out my rear end and downing shots of Cazadores reposado while sitting in my own ball soup all day.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

blue squares posted:

He sues Obama!!

Texas Politics: He sues Obama!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/davidSrauf/status/756210093532643328

The ruling had some standards that a new measure would have to include. A lot of these were left out originally because they cost a lot of money to do and there was barely enough political room to pass a zero-cost Voter ID bill.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/756245418321649664

See if you can figure out how the Voter ID law that Abbott is implying would fix this would actually fix this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BiohazrD posted:

bruh, im not sure if you're old enough or have lived in cs long enough, but before they tore it down and built something there, right when you would get off of 2818 at the university exit, before northgate starts (like over by what used to be zapatos, bar-ber-shots, daisy dukes) there was a diner called the deluxe diner. that place was the tits. but i think they closed it down in 2005/6

im spoiled after living in austin for a couple of years, but yeah i cant really think of a legit breakfast place. BCS needs a kirby lane

It's kind of a recurring joke among my friends. I think I remember a Waffle House sign on University near Texas ave so I guess it was there at some point.

As for legit breakfast, Kettle is not terrible, in a "regional version of Denny's" sort of way. Or at least it was the only place at 3am I could've gotten bacon fries in town.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i refuse to make fun of any 24-hour breakfast diner because of the important role they play in society

they're an unsung hero

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Kettle turned into Skillets a few years back over here. Hasn't changed a bit though, the only thing missing now is the Miss Pac Man table machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Who's ready for the DNC?

I know I am