Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cartouche posted:

She was good in Criminal Minds. Period.

So much so that I feel the cast of Community should do a comedy series that mirrors Criminal Minds, but in a lighthearted style.

She made beyond belief far more than it had any right to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

Somebody's never listened to the Thrilling Adventure Hour.

I checked out the links that were posted earlier in the thread.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cartouche posted:

Counterpoint: Frankie was a horrible character, horribly cast, and the flakiness was anything but endearing.

What the gently caress

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Somebody is going to see this thread has a bunch of new posts in their bookmarked threads. They will click thinking, maybe just maybe a movie is in development. Nope.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Let's cap off this terrible chapter with evidence that Paget Brewster is a treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8tOiqrIAOQ

Also, bonus TAH thing feat. Paget Brewster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYaDhQLLrk8

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

What the gently caress

Oh drat, sorry for posting an opinion you do not agree with.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cartouche posted:

Oh drat, sorry for posting an opinion you do not agree with.

Luckily it's a marginal opinion though. Frankie was awesome

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Last Chance posted:

Luckily it's a marginal opinion though. Frankie was awesome

Not going to argue. As someone who didn't already have an opinion of her humor or lack of, having not seen/heard TAH. People thought she was funny in TAH, I get it. That doesn't mean she was anything of the sort when plugged into Community.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cartouche posted:

Not going to argue. As someone who didn't already have an opinion of her humor or lack of, having not seen/heard TAH. People thought she was funny in TAH, I get it. That doesn't mean she was anything of the sort when plugged into Community.

I had never seen her before Community, and I thought she was terrific. :shrug:

(I should get around to checking out this Thrilling Adventure Hour thing.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'd only seen one of her Drunk History bits (the one about the Pinkerton Detective Agency, guest starring a moth), but I liked her a lot as Frankie.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Harmonquest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cuqqHGpRDE

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spencer has become more and more amazing as time has gone. It's like watching a nerd grow up before your eyes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha how fuckin awkward is it that he still does all this stuff with erin

anyway this would be better without the audience

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I don't know how long it takes to make a thing like this, but I imagine it is quite a while. It could be that this was made before they got divorced.

Anyway, isn't it better that people can still treat each other well after a divorce? I didn't notice any real awkwardness between them during the actual show, probably less so than many of the harmontown shows.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Reddit says this was filmed in September last year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That would be around the time their marriage was falling apart. Fascinating that there's no sense of it on the show, considering the type of people they both are.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I assume they are nice to each other post divorce because Dan is desperate and lonely and Erin knows which side her toast is buttered on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PriorMarcus posted:

I assume they are nice to each other post divorce because Dan is desperate and lonely and Erin knows which side her toast is buttered on.

They've both said they're on good terms with most of their exes; people don't have to hate each other after a breakup.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

prefect posted:

They've both said they're on good terms with most of their exes; people don't have to hate each other after a breakup.

This is very true, however everything I've seen of Dan Harmon makes me surprised he's one of those people.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nice, does this mean they've cut the DnD stuff from Harmontown? That's why I stopped listening, I really can't stand listening to DnD campaigns

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Last Chance posted:

Nice, does this mean they've cut the DnD stuff from Harmontown? That's why I stopped listening, I really can't stand listening to DnD campaigns

They usually end the show with some improv now. Some of them are very good.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

They briefly did Shadowrun, but its been about 20~? eps since they dropped it I think. They sometimes do improv which is alright to great depending. Spencer has grown a lot tho and is great.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Escobarbarian posted:

That would be around the time their marriage was falling apart. Fascinating that there's no sense of it on the show, considering the type of people they both are.

They're doing it for the kid (spencer)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Last Chance posted:

Yeah they stopped as some sort of non-compete with Harmonquest. I really liked them though. I've gone through like 5 podcasts trying to find something similar, and they're universally annoying/terrible.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Have you tried The Adventure Zone?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

Adventure Zone is the best. Especially compared to Dan Harmon's D&D stuff because since it's the same people (three brothers and their dad) playing every episode they don't have to constantly introduce and abandon and re-introduce player characters and their DM actually puts some effort into coming up with funny and interesting campaigns instead of just being lazy and winging it and hoping that irony will carry them.

Their current campaign is a Groundhog Day/Majora's Mask scenario where they keep dying and re-living the same hour over and over trying to figure out what calamity happens at the end that kills everyone and how to prevent it, and it's awesome both from a gameplay and a comedy perspective.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

PriorMarcus posted:

This is very true, however everything I've seen of Dan Harmon makes me surprised he's one of those people.

Sarah Silverman saying "I'm his biggest fan- and I fired him" kinda sums him up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

Adventure Zone owns.

Takes a couple episodes for them to realize they shouldn't play the quest out of the handbook, and it really takes off after that because the DM starts writing it himself.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Actually, who decided that it was a good idea to put this on another monthly fee, lovely streaming service?

Oh, NBCUniversal. Right, OK...

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

PostNouveau posted:

Adventure Zone owns.

Takes a couple episodes for them to realize they shouldn't play the quest out of the handbook, and it really takes off after that because the DM starts writing it himself.

As someone who can't stand most actual play podcasts, TAZ is a delight. The first episodes are rrrrrough, but by the time they get to Klarg and Barry Bluejeans it starts to take off.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

As someone who can't stand most actual play podcasts, TAZ is a delight. The first episodes are rrrrrough, but by the time they get to Klarg and Barry Bluejeans it starts to take off.

Is it still worth starting from the beginning, or is there a good jumping-in point later?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

kayakyakr posted:

Actually, who decided that it was a good idea to put this on another monthly fee, lovely streaming service?

Oh, NBCUniversal. Right, OK...

I literally never heard of Seeso until MBMBaM announced they were getting a show on it. There's no way it's not going to bomb horribly as a paid service but it is nice that some people I like were given money to work on it.

thexerox123 posted:

Is it still worth starting from the beginning, or is there a good jumping-in point later?

It's serialized so you have to start from the beginning, the first campaign where they're going entirely off of a book and introducing all their characters has been edited down so it moves a lot faster than when it was first release as MBMBaM one-off special.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, i think it's worth it to start from the beginning. Looking back now, the third episode is where it sold me, so if you can make it past those first two hours where everyone is a little awkward and unsure what they're doing, I'd do that.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Well I'm on episode 4 of The Adventure Zone now, I liked it from the start, so I'm hooked!

It probably helped that I've never listened to MBMBaM, so I was getting to know the players over the first couple of episodes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

Well I'm on episode 4 of The Adventure Zone now, I liked it from the start, so I'm hooked!

It probably helped that I've never listened to MBMBaM, so I was getting to know the players over the first couple of episodes.

MBMBaM is good, their spinoff shows are incredibly hit or miss but they work well when they're all together.

Two of the brothers are regular Polygon contributors so if you're into video games they've great for that as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EExZ-X-CHOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYespfZgeWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASwnEtMF3fo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I loved Harmonquest so I'm looking forward to checking out The Adventure Zone. I need lots of podcasts to help me get through the tedium of my job :toot:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I've also heard great things about Friends at the Table.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Monster Factory's Fallout 4 LP is pretty much the only good LP since the Steampunk Abortionist days

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Adventure Zone is one of the best podcasts ever made. FatT is basically unlistenable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Yeah their spin-offs can be all over the place but Rose Buddies is a solid podcast if you wanna hear Griffin get wine-drunk and holler about the Bachelorette. I don't even watch the show but his drunken enthusiasm for it is entertaining enough.

• Locked thread