Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cheerfullydrab posted:

There are people who literally would like just the battle scenes from Battlestar Galactica interspersed with lense flares and yelling.

Yeah I think they're up to their 3rd movie now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Moridin920 posted:

It's fun to turn the brain off sometimes and watch some action ofc but I dunno why people have to get all or nothing about it.

I spent a decade working in pediatrics where I saw lots of horrible, horrible things. When I was choosing my entertainment, I just wanted to see good looking people fight with each other.

Now that I'm out of it, I like a broader spectrum of things. I suppose I'm saying that it just depends on where you are in life at the time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don't know why people would tune into Star Trek and get mad when social commentary pops up. Especially with 90's Trek, the undisputed king of well-meaning but preachy social issue episodes.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

cheerfullydrab posted:

There are people who literally would like just the battle scenes from Battlestar Galactica interspersed with ads for energy drinks.
I did to, when I was fifteen.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Was BSG really popular because of it's space battles? IIRC but they only really got into it a handful of times over the course of the series and most of the show was people talking about stuff

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't know why people would tune into Star Trek and get mad when social commentary pops up. Especially with 90's Trek, the undisputed king of well-meaning but preachy social issue episodes.

I think Quantum Leap might have it beat out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

the first ep of ds9 is extremely solid and star trek as all hell

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

cheerfullydrab posted:

There are people who literally would like just the battle scenes from Battlestar Galactica interspersed with ads for energy drinks.

There are fans who make those for themselves -- they computer render really long, really neat-looking battle sequences featuring the starships from their favorite sci-fi universe(s).

Some people love them. I've never even made it all the way through one, even though I usually love the big space battles. (I could watch Enterprise vs. Reliant or the battle of New Caprica all day.) But without even the barest hint of storyline other than "the Romulan warbirds are attacking and those Excelsiors are the defense", there's absolutely nothing to hold my interest. The special effects in these things can be surprisingly decent, and I'm sure the creator thought of all kinds of clever tactics to have the ships do. But I don't actually CARE.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Yeah I realised that I never watched much of early DS9 so I started the first episode last night myself. Only about halfway through because I rewatched that scene where Sisko meets with Picard and just wants to jump the table and murder him like a billion times. It's some good poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gorelab posted:

I think Quantum Leap might have it beat out.

I like that episode, but yeah, that's some primo preachy cringe right there. I was thinking about this the other day, but there's no way you could do Quantum Leap today with a white dude. Some white guy leaping into women, minorities, and the disabled and changing their lives by "fixing" events that they originally couldn't fix themselves? Yikes.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like that episode, but yeah, that's some primo preachy cringe right there. I was thinking about this the other day, but there's no way you could do Quantum Leap today with a white dude. Some white guy leaping into women, minorities, and the disabled and changing their lives by "fixing" events that they originally couldn't fix themselves? Yikes.

Quantum Leap also has a lot of stuff where they obviously mean well, but still come off as kinda racist or whatever they're saying is bad by modern standards. Still a pretty good show though, even with it's cheesyness.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/755887987972513792

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Well. That is either heartwarming or ominous.

Time to add Picard to my deadpool by way of self-inflicted means.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gorelab posted:

Quantum Leap also has a lot of stuff where they obviously mean well, but still come off as kinda racist or whatever they're saying is bad by modern standards. Still a pretty good show though, even with it's cheesyness.

The first season (I think) episode where he leaps into a Native American kid trying to help his dying grandfather get back to their ancestral lands is a good example of this. I get what they're trying to do and it's obviously well-intentioned but when Sam's first words in the episode are "I'm an Indian? Oh boy!", it instantly dates the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I want Patrick Stewart to live forever, running that hardware store until the heat death of the universe

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Quantum Trigger

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anything is racist/homophobic/whatever if you just wait about 20 years. I'm not defending Song of the South or anything, but maybe people are just a bit too thin skinned about popular media of the past.

My cousin used to love to listen to standup comedy tapes when we'd drive around. After I came out, he tried to hide all his Sam Kinison tapes from me, thinking I'd get all bent out of shape, which is ridiculous.

This morning I was watching Married with Children and Al, seeing an obviously gay guy, said "and they wonder why we call them queens", and I laughed my rear end off. Even the Golden Girls took some real potshots at gay folks, and that's basically our Roots.

Chill out people. Social attitudes change. You should celebrate the fact that they do.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Agreed, Lovecraft wasn't that bad of a racist

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

There's plenty of stuff from 20 years ago that isn't homophobic. Other stuff was always homophobic, but nobody cared at the time because gay people were these weird pink demons who caused AIDS.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

I'm trying to think of my top 5 or 10 best Star Trek episodes and the thing I keep coming back to is how none of them are Voyager. In 7 seasons the closest they probably came for me was probably Living Witness. Even North Star from Enterprise rates higher for me than anything I can recall from Voyager.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

THC posted:

There's plenty of stuff from 20 years ago that isn't homophobic. Other stuff was always homophobic, but nobody cared at the time because gay people were these weird pink demons who caused AIDS.

AIDS was originally called GRIDS (Gay Related Immune Deficiency Syndrome) :science:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

THC posted:

No, but even shows that didn't explicitly make gay jokes still whooped up the canned laughter every time a clearly gay person was on screen.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

AugmentedVision posted:

Agreed, Lovecraft wasn't that bad of a racist

Negro eggs.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

criscodisco posted:

No, but even shows that didn't explicitly make gay jokes still whooped up the canned laughter every time a clearly gay person was on screen.

Yeah and they were homophobic. We didn't have to wait 20 years for that to become a true statement.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tectonis posted:

I'm trying to think of my top 5 or 10 best Star Trek episodes and the thing I keep coming back to is how none of them are Voyager. In 7 seasons the closest they probably came for me was probably Living Witness. Even North Star from Enterprise rates higher for me than anything I can recall from Voyager.

I am usually the first to poo poo on Enterprise and all it's frustrating lameness but I will stick up for North Star as a fun but modern throwback to a TOS style adventure

The firefight between the landing party and the cowboys was loving great

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

THC posted:

Yeah and they were homophobic. We didn't have to wait 20 years for that to become a true statement.

Yeah, I don't think we're in disagreement here. I just think that holding things from the past up to modern social sensibilities is just looking to get angry.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

My friend's never been a huge Trek fan, he's seen a handful of episodes and movies. But his girlfriend grew up with no TV at all, so we've been steadily introducing her to different stuff. We showed her TOS last week and it has quickly become her favourite show. Her appetite for more Trek is insatiable. It's been awesome watching these old episodes I grew up with and seeing all the little details I didn't pick up on as a kid. Leonard Nimoy was a fuckin' genius.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

THC posted:

Her appetite for more Trek is insatiable.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I enjoy watching people break themselves like waves upon jagged rocks as the true horror of Voyager reveals itself to them.

Please keep posting your her hopes, assumptions and reactions.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I can only imagine my dad's delight at me taking to Trek like I did, since my sister hated all that stuff. I only wish I could pass my love of Trek on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tectonis posted:

Enterprise at least deserves something for the two-parter A Mirror Darkly. It came the gently caress out of nowhere, had no bearing at all on the regular series in the slightest, but damned if it wasn't actually good :munch:.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That episode was great, but the show should also be recognized for its incredible production values. Goddamn that was a pretty show.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

What shoes are to women, tools are to men. Use it once, but it has a place of honor in your house forever.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 21, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

criscodisco posted:

That episode was great, but the show should also be recognized for its incredible production values. Goddamn that was a pretty show.

My favourite little detail is them even swapping the opening credits for ones filled with images of war and destruction instead of exploration.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Enterprise at least deserves something for the two-parter A Mirror Darkly. It came the gently caress out of nowhere, had no bearing at all on the regular series in the slightest, but damned if it wasn't actually good :munch:.

The first two seasons of Enterprise are painful to watch but by season 3 of Enterprise the show was pretty solid, at the end of it the ship is a wreck and you're cheering when Shran shows up because he hates that he owes a debt to a Pinkskin. Sure there's some stinkers like the mining station escape and the rape-y telepath that loves Hoshi but it's got a pretty good decent:bad episode ratio for a Star Trek season.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
You guys make me watch more Star Trek. Whenever I read this thread, I flip on Netflix and keep going through DS9.

Cuz gently caress Voyager, seriously. I could never watch that show through.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Tectonis posted:

The first two seasons of Enterprise are painful to watch but by season 3 of Enterprise the show was pretty solid, at the end of it the ship is a wreck and you're cheering when Shran shows up because he hates that he owes a debt to a Pinkskin. Sure there's some stinkers like the mining station escape and the rape-y telepath that loves Hoshi but it's got a pretty good decent:bad episode ratio for a Star Trek season.

Enterprise did what DS9 did very well and have two or three episode story arcs. A total turnaround from Voyager.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tectonis posted:

Season 3 had some stupid poo poo of its own though. Like a guy running into their unsecure fancy combat center and just deleting THE ENTIRE DATABASE OF THEIR ACCUMULATED INTEL with about three keystrokes.

When I saw that, I assumed it was a feint or they had backups or something, but nope. Played straight, all their intel data gone.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

They finally added the Treks to Canadian Netflix, so I decided to rewatch some of Enterprise because I hadn't seen it since I was like, twelve.

Good lord the last episode. I'd probably nominate it for the worst series finale in history. A plot with basically nothing to do with the rest of the series, randomly killing off one of the main characters but apparently barely any of the crew cares, lumpy, disheveled Jonathan Frakes loving everywhere.

And then ending it with:

"Oh man Archer is about to give an amazing speech that children everywhere will memorize in school centuries later. It's that good!"
"Should we stay and listen?"
"Naw gently caress that Computer End Program"

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Season 3 had some stupid poo poo of its own though. Like a guy running into their unsecure fancy combat center and just deleting THE ENTIRE DATABASE OF THEIR ACCUMULATED INTEL with about three keystrokes.

When I saw that, I assumed it was a feint or they had backups or something, but nope. Played straight, all their intel data gone.

Ctrl+A
Shift+Del
Enter

Alternatively:
cat /dev/random > /Usr/JArcher/DONOTDELETE/PorthosPics/Intel.txt

Trip just doesn't back anything up because he is actually a bad engineer :ssh: