Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
The true worth of tea is that it is never not acceptable to offer someone a cup of tea, and hence a marvellous way of extricating yourself out of situations when the conversation has turned awkward or deeply personal and you're the host and need to move things on.

My wife doesn't let me have sugar in my tea. As a northerner tea is now not as enticing.

E: Apollo 11 lands on the moon. Humanity begins its first steps at setting up a proper Disaster Recovery site.

Milotic fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
my favourite preserve based explosive is jammonium nitrate

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

LemonDrizzle posted:

I will however note that big french presses are very good for making cold brew coffee.

I've been using hop bags from my beer brewing supplies. Then strain through a paper filter over the chemex or other pour over.

I cut my cold brew concentrate with whole milk because it is amazing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

my favourite preserve based explosive is jammonium nitrate
It's not just an explosive, it's also an actual good preserve-ative.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

the gently caress's the difference between a preserve and a conserve?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jose posted:

reminder that coohoolin could have voted in the general? referendum? idk one of the recent votes but never bothered to apply for citizenship so couldn't

Checked, was not entitled to. Am now, after residency for six years. And like a thousand pounds for the fee.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

As a recently minted member of the Labour Party I just had my first contact with Momentum- got a call from a nice middle class sounding lad who seemed to be rather confused- he said something about how he was calling numbers off a list on the website, and asked me if I was registered for the leadership election and interested in volunteering for Corbyn. Ended the call with 'keep the flame alight' which I thought was rather sweet.

I was a bit surprised though- the call came from a personal mobile number, and as I said, he seemed very unsure and disorganised- for the longer term members of the party in the thread, is this something I can expect regularly? The whole thing was rather charming tbh.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Camrath posted:

As a recently minted member of the Labour Party I just had my first contact with Momentum- got a call from a nice middle class sounding lad who seemed to be rather confused- he said something about how he was calling numbers off a list on the website, and asked me if I was registered for the leadership election and interested in volunteering for Corbyn. Ended the call with 'keep the flame alight' which I thought was rather sweet.

I was a bit surprised though- the call came from a personal mobile number, and as I said, he seemed very unsure and disorganised- for the longer term members of the party in the thread, is this something I can expect regularly? The whole thing was rather charming tbh.

You'll find most phone canvassing comes from activists' personal phones, although in the run-up to major elections parties will buy a poo poo ton of burners for the purpose of getting a few hundred people canvassing at HQ.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Coffee is alright if you get nice filter coffee.

Don't much care for instant, except weirdly that asda sells iced coffee milk which is actually kind of nice.

Theres a reason instant coffee isnt normalised in most other countries, tho.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Camrath posted:

Its quite likely hes as newly minted as you are :shobon:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bristol Momentum has organised phone canvassing all through the week so I imagine other areas have as well. They provide the numbers, the volunteer brings the phone most of the time.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

feedmegin posted:

Its quite likely hes as newly minted as you are :shobon:

Really, the lack of smooth professionalism really won me over. Which makes sense, given that's one of Corbyn's attractions to me.

Felt really bad being unable to offer my time, but given my 65+ hour work-week.. :/

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I got this as part of an email from Momentum a few days back:

quote:

Jeremy Call-In: Sign up to use the web-based phone canvassing app to call people who were registered supporters last year to encourage them to re-register. We have 40,000 people to call. If 4,000 of us call 10 people each, we’ll easily reach our target. You can canvass from the comfort of your own home. All you need is an internet connection and a phone.

So yeah, it's some random member of Momentum calling people from a list. It's a nice idea I guess, if you're the sort of person who's OK phoning random strangers.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do y'all not do phonebanking in normal elections?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I can't help but feel that the £25 for three days plan may have actually been good for Corbyn.

For £3 for the next month or so the PLP could have convinced a ton of people to sign up to "Save Labour" with their new fresh faced guy but instead it was a £25 quid buy in to support a candidate that had only just begun a campaign and most people still don't know anything about. It's a pricetag only the dedicated would pay and there ain't a lot of passion in the center.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

There could be upsides to this leadership contest. Looks like Corbyn is planning to come out swinging on the policies front:

Guardian posted:

Corbyn is expected to say he wants to update social reformer William Beveridge’s “five evils”, for the 21st century – and plans to announce policies over the next five months to tackle each of them, with the first being “discrimination”.

The injustices that scar society today are not those of 1945: want, squalor, idleness, disease and ignorance. And they have changed since I first entered parliament in 1983. Today what is holding people back above all are inequality, neglect, insecurity, prejudice and discrimination,” he is expected to say.

“In my campaign I want to confront all five of those ills head on … setting out, not only how Labour will campaign against these injustices in opposition, but also spelling out some of the measures the next Labour government will take to overcome them and move decisively towards a society in which opportunity and prosperity is truly shared.”

Seems pretty good. Quite like the idea of an updated 'five great evils' following in the footsteps of the founding of the welfare state.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I paid my £25 but all the candidates seem to be somewhat no-names, is there a good rundown on each of them somewhere? This Corbyn guy seems alright, good stance on marrows and beans but not sure of his ideas on the Falklands.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

jabby posted:

There could be upsides to this leadership contest. Looks like Corbyn is planning to come out swinging on the policies front:

Seems pretty good. Quite like the idea of an updated 'five great evils' following in the footsteps of the founding of the welfare state.

:allears: It's like Christmas in goon-land!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
While I do like my tea, you Brits need to realize that hot chocolate is best hot drink.

Sitting outside in the snow, sipping some hot chocolate and warming your hands, thats the best. No tea or coffee experience compares.

Actually do you guys even have hot chocolate? I wouldnt put it past you not to...

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Do y'all not do phonebanking in normal elections?

Most activistism revolves around actually knocking on peoples doors and talking to them, since our country is actually walkable.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

GlyphGryph posted:

While I do like my tea, you Brits need to realize that hot chocolate is best hot drink.

Sitting outside in the snow, sipping some hot chocolate and warming your hands, thats the best. No tea or coffee experience compares.

Actually do you guys even have hot chocolate? I wouldnt put it past you not to...

what's hot chocolate?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

GlyphGryph posted:

Uh, chocolate comes in a foil wrapped bar, mate, or sometimes a box :rolleyes:

(or an egg)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

GlyphGryph posted:

We do today.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Wow, people actually drink chocolate.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bring out the :psyduck:'s

https://twitter.com/GrahamJones_MP/status/755902630669541377

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

the gently caress's the difference between a preserve and a conserve?

Explosive potential.

GlyphGryph posted:

Things we don't have in Britain so Americans stop asking:-

Cable tv
Ice in drinks
Air conditioning
Mexican food
Potato chips
Muffins
Mac and cheese
Corn dogs
Starbucks
Pokemon Go
Uber
Free refills
Contactless debit/credit cards
Birds larger than a great tit
Dogs bigger than Collie dog (it's actually illegal for a dog to be bigger than this, it came in the same time as the gun ban because they snuck it in - Dangerous dogs act September 11 1997)
Naruto

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 21, 2016

Jaminjami
Jan 26, 2015
Pfizer, Africa's Best Friend

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
he just got paid £80k a year to lobby the government on behalf of a pharmaceutical giant just like any other normal everyday person might

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
God bless those pharmaceutical companies that privately fund all their own research and don't rely heavily on prior work or research from publicly funded academia, and heavily promote generic versions of their drugs to be locally produced in the developing world.

Bravo to them I say, each and every one of them.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://mobile.twitter.com/GrahamJones_MP/status/755888467595423744

lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Regarde Aduck posted:

Explosive potential.

Things we don't have in Britain so Americans stop asking:-

Cable tv
Ice in drinks
Air conditioning
Mexican food
Potato chips
Muffins
Mac and cheese
Corn dogs
Starbucks
Pokemon Go
Uber
Free refills
Contactless debit/credit cards
Birds larger than a great tit
Dogs bigger than Collie dog (it's actually illegal for a dog to be bigger than this, it came in the same time as the gun ban because they snuck it in - Dangerous dogs act September 11 1997)
Naruto

Add taquitos to this list :sigh:

e; gently caress me Mexican food is right there.

it's too hot today.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
are there anyamericans who want to send me a care package of these "nylon stockings" and "chewing gum" I've heard so much about

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

It's 50% anyway because he should round up, not down. :colbert:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

life saving drugs = good
profiting of life saving drugs = bad or at best ethically complex

not really hard to understand is it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've run into a bunch of big mountain dogs and I'm glad they aren't illegal they're lovely.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Don't ruin it. :ssh:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I was okay on hot chocolate until i had a real thick hot chocolate that wasn't just milk with some powder in and since then I've always found regular hot chocolate vaguely disappointing if it's below a certain level of viscosity

I still drink it though because a) i don't get on with coffee or tea and you've got to drink something if you want to look like a normal and b)it's got chocolate in so

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Don't ruin it. :ssh:

It was an important loophole in the law designed to allow st bernards to sit for portraits, basically another case of one law for the toffs and one for the rest of us.

Angepain posted:

I was okay on hot chocolate until i had a real thick hot chocolate that wasn't just milk with some powder in and since then I've always found regular hot chocolate vaguely disappointing if it's below a certain level of viscosity

I still drink it though because a) i don't get on with coffee or tea and you've got to drink something if you want to look like a normal and b)it's got chocolate in so

There's a great chocolate shop near me that does an amazing one, I dunno what they put in it but I can get close-ish by making it with single cream and lots of powder

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Hot chocolate is good once in a while when you're tired and just kicking back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

you've got to drink something if you want to look like a normal
That's what whiskey is for. It makes the rest of the world look more normal too!

I am certain there are no downsides to this. :tinsley:

• Locked thread