Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ferrule posted:

Jesus christ shut up about Buffy already.

What's wrong with MK's neck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Choco1980 posted:

What's wrong with MK's neck?

Nothing, he's looking to the right.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Yup, still no improvement.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Someone take the dodge and burn tool away from that man

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
... Is his new character "Commander Mykhal Taelor" supposed to strongly resemble a poorly traced Mike Tyson when he's not a poser render?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Onmi posted:

god drat this is breathtaking

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Onmi posted:

Nope.

Nope nope nope.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Onmi posted:

Is this intentionally designed to be the worst thing ever?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

Is this intentionally designed to be the worst thing ever?
This is what happens when a Sonic the Hedgehog guy is kicked off Sonic comics and makes his original creation do not steal.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Really enjoying Laurence Campbell's recent work on BPRD.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Onmi posted:

gently caress I really, really want to read this. SOmething about his out of control nerdly obsession and ignorance to awfulness is pulling me in

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Endless Mike posted:

This is what happens when a Sonic the Hedgehog guy is kicked off Sonic comics and takes their original creation that he stole.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
how the gently caress do you get kicked off from a Sonic comic

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

DarkCrawler posted:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

By being so terrible at it and focusing so much on your "original" characters that even Sonic fans stop buying the comic.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DarkCrawler posted:

I wrote an entire post on it in the Bad Runs thread when it was around. but in summation.

Someone from Sega saw this and then decided to go see what the gently caress was actually going on with the sonic license over at Archie. The whole company and team got shaken up and they offered him a spot as "Backup Writer."

He thought of he said he'd quit they'd immediatly rush to give him everything they wanted. They said "Don't let the door hit your rear end on the way out."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

wayfinder posted:

Someone take the dodge and burn tool away from that man

Along with all the other tools. And oxygen, preferably.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DarkCrawler posted:

As far as I understand it, Sega actually looked at the Sonic comic and went "wait, how long has it been like this? What the gently caress!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I know Sonic comics and Sonic fandom in general are really niche, but there is no way SEGA could be that willfully obtuse about what that division was pumping out for at least 15-20 years.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I know Sonic comics and Sonic fandom in general are really niche, but there is no way SEGA could be that willfully obtuse about what that division was pumping out for at least 15-20 years.

As far as I understand Sega's involvement back in those days was pretty much telling Archie to do tie-in issues when new games were coming out and asking "is the comic making us money? Good, keep doing that". They were pretty hands off until someone took interest in what was going on.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Now I want to see a comedy version of The Genesis Tub/The Little People with SEGA as the unwitting creator coming back to find a tiny microcivilization of Sonic fandom growing in their petri dish.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Veotax posted:

As far as I understand Sega's involvement back in those days was pretty much telling Archie to do tie-in issues when new games were coming out and asking "is the comic making us money? Good, keep doing that". They were pretty hands off until someone took interest in what was going on.

Wasn't there a new game on the horizon when they saw that cover?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shadow the Hedgehog would have just come out and Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) would be out at the end of the following year.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

Shadow the Hedgehog would have just come out and Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) would be out at the end of the following year.

Yeah we can't let a poorly written comic tarnish either of those gems.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They probably still thought they were making good games.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Pretty much, they were treating Sonic 2006 as a big re-launch for the franchise to get it back on track. Too bad it was the worst in the whole series (and that's saying something), maybe still is but Sonic Boom gives it a run for it's money.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Veotax posted:

Pretty much, they were treating Sonic 2006 as a big re-launch for the franchise to get it back on track. Too bad it was the worst in the whole series (and that's saying something), maybe still is but Sonic Boom gives it a run for it's money.

Sonic Boom is a mediocre mascot platformer that doesn't even approach the heights of awfulness that is Sonic 06.

But even Sonic 06 is but a molehill before the titanic mountain range of incompetence that is Ken Penders' work. I'm still baffled as to how he won that lawsuit to keep all his echidna characters that are just Knuckles in different costumes.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think they maybe settled out of court? I heard that Sega gave Archie no help with the case, they just wanted it to go away.

And yeah, I never play Boom, just heard how bad it was. I used to be such a Sonic fanboy that I made excuses and convinced myself that games like Shadow the Hedgehog weren't that bad, then I played the demo for '06. That was so loving bad it managed to break the spell on me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Green Lanterns #3

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Begemot posted:

I'm still baffled as to how he won that lawsuit to keep all his echidna characters that are just Knuckles in different costumes.

Quarantine sometimes works better than extermination.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Veotax posted:

I think they maybe settled out of court? I heard that Sega gave Archie no help with the case, they just wanted it to go away.
They settled out of court. But let's be real: who the gently caress would want to go back to that particular well?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I've lost the image but the Sonic writer also tried to pander to BSS in a backup story one time. And then everyone mocked him for it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Begemot posted:

I'm still baffled as to how he won that lawsuit to keep all his echidna characters that are just Knuckles in different costumes.

The original contract guaranteeing IP rights to created concepts to Archie/SEGA was lost due to poor recordkeeping. They were afraid he could prevail.

Endless Mike posted:

They settled out of court. But let's be real: who the gently caress would want to go back to that particular well?

They new team were doing a really nice job of reforming the characters, then the case was settled and they had to force a continuity reboot. The resulting continuity is good, I hear, but it's a shame they lost everything they had been working on up to that point, as well as ~85% of the characters they had.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So here it is, the art that will be seen on the cover of Book One of THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES. I tossed out a "draft" of the cover a couple of days earlier on Twitter more to provoke a reaction to see what the comments were, if anything said would alert me to something I missed. Naturally, the text on that version sparked most of the discussion, which I anticipated. But overall, I didn't see anything to dissuade me and if anything was encouraged by the positive response I did receive. Thus, this is the official cover art.

I'm not going to comment on the various elements composing this piece, as it is a combination of both the literal and metaphorical aspects of the story within its covers. To discuss it now would give too much away. Suffice it to say, I expect longtime readers of my Knuckles stories should be very pleased and new readers will find it easy to climb aboard and follow along.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Has this dude really been a professional artist since 1994?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Has this dude really been a professional artist since 1994?

Yes. And if you think his writing is any better (This is also thankfully an example of bad art)

And my favorite one, "Spot the odd one out."

That in the wide shot was clearly drawn by Patrick 'Spaz' Spaziante everything else was clearly drawn by Penders. You can tell because Spaz's Sonic looks on model.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Blade the Echid'na and a Secy Skunkmans that looks like Pierre from SatAM Sonic?
Oh god I hope this ends up on vore/guro/furry channels.

OC CHARACTER LIARA'XHU AND P'TLla THE ECHID'NA PLZ DON'T FANFIC.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pardon me friend it's Echyd'nya v. important difference

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Can we please not have a lengthy Penders re-hash derail. He sucks. He's not an actual published writer/artist anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He actually rules