Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Howard Beale posted:

has anybody said "hooters, hooters, yum yum yum, hooters, hooters on a girl who's dumb" yet?

Yes, but it bears repeating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Howard Beale posted:

has anybody said "hooters, hooters, yum yum yum, hooters, hooters on a girl who's dumb" yet?

What about...

Who's that riding into the sun?
Who's the man with the itchy gun?
Who's the man who kills for fun?
Psycho Dad, Psycho Dad, Psycho Dad.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

SEX BURRITO posted:

I was always sad that MWC didn't get a proper finale. It needs a Netflix revival (yeah I know it'd be terrible, but still).

My favourite episode is when Al is building his own bathroom and buys the toilet of his dreams. I just love when he's happy and enthusiastic about some stupid thing. Plus, the more toilet jokes in an episode the better.

*bad to the bone starts playing*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MZWougcU-I

That scene was awesome

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Tricky D posted:

I seem to remember a magical time when MwC followed In Living Color on Sunday nights. There was even a crossover ep where Al showed up in a sketch.

:chanpop:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ed O'Neil's body language is amazing and sells so many jokes that would have otherwise completely failed.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Ed O'Neil's body language is amazing and sells so many jokes that would have otherwise completely failed.

Ed O'Neil was beyond perfect for this role. His physical comedy/body language were hilarious and his whimpering (like when the tarantula crawls on him) is funny when it shouldn't be.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The episode where Steve and Al's fishing trip is ruined by the families tagging along is on TBS right now. It's the one where Peggy, Marcy and Kelly's periods all sync up.

I love Al's note to Peg:
"by the time you read this note, I'll be gone. I've been called away on an emergency fishing trip. I wouldn't be surprised if you plan up the kids and leave me. If you do, please take the dog with you. Al"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Anyone have a copy of Big'Uns ?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I always loved that when Bud and Kelly needed to sneak away Kelly used a pumpkin and all just looked in the rearview mirror and went "what about you pumpkin?" and it worked

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

shadow puppet of a posted:

And they poo poo all over Jerry Mathers.

A very good ep.

And the girl in the freezer section in cut offs.

A fabulous ep.

That's Bobbie "Cherry Pie" Brown. Still appearing in metal videos to this day - see Steel Panther Live From Lexxi's Mom's Garage. Good stuff.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

WescottF1 posted:

That's Bobbie "Cherry Pie" Brown. Still appearing in metal videos to this day - see Steel Panther Live From Lexxi's Mom's Garage. Good stuff.

Someone make an Ed McMahon's Star Search thread.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

WescottF1 posted:

Her auto biography is kind of interesting. She was married to the singer from Warrant and he had a pretty hosed up life.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyLmSAnoR6g

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Bonzo posted:

Her auto biography is kind of interesting. She was married to the singer from Warrant and he had a pretty hosed up life.

I listened to her on an old episode of Loveline lately, and she's goddamn nuts.

Thanks for this thread, OP. Since I'm a stay at home husband I usually keep MwC on in the background while I do other things, and had been burned out on it lately having seen the episode so many times. Thanks to this thread is got a new appreciation of them, and found myself actually sitting down to watch them this morning.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

criscodisco posted:

Thanks for this thread, OP. Since I'm a stay at home husband I usually keep MwC on in the background while I do other things, and had been burned out on it lately having seen the episode so many times. Thanks to this thread is got a new appreciation of them, and found myself actually sitting down to watch them this morning.

Did you have any Bon Bons?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
No, I actually cook and clean and do handyman poo poo around the house.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Also I haven't worn the FancyFigure 327 in years, I've moved up to the MaxPower 911 EZ-loader that Peggy never could.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I like it when the family all makes fun of Al together for having a job and supporting them.

Peggy: We appreciate what you do for this family.

Then they pause and bust out laughing.

Another time when Peggy, Bud, Kelly, and recently fired Steve got back from the zoo.
Peggy: Hi, honey. Oh Al, we had such a great day. Steve took us all to the zoo. And Al, it was the best time to go. No lines or anything, because, you know, during the day all the idiots who have jobs can't go.

Then they all point and laugh at Al.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Howard Beale posted:

i used to have a co-worker at the school district who loved saying that

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

criscodisco posted:

I am glad that this thread has rekindled what I assume was once a passionate love affair with one of the greatest television comedies of all time.

criscodisco posted:

No, I actually cook and clean and do handyman poo poo around the house.

So, you're Dan Castellaneta.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Centripetal Horse posted:

So, you're Dan Castellaneta.

I don't really understand, but I'd like to think I have a better hairline.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

First, I apologize for the rather 'interesting' use of the English language. We were kind of on the sauce. Lots of it.

I will let him know, next time I see him. I told him about your thread, and he seemed flattered. He likes that people see Griff as the underdog among underdogs.

Anyway :

It actually has done him alright. He's just not really a 'car' guy. As long as it works, he really couldn't care less about it. He invests in stuff, like my bar, for insatnce, and also independent films, and is very active in the LA area black acting community.

He enjoyed working on the show, and appreciates the opportunities it gave him. He liked the dark humor of the show, and the opportunity to play that part.

His favorite non-Griff character that he's played? Or on MWC Cast?

If you mean as an actor, I bet it would be Perryman (Officer and a Gentleman)

On the show, probably Seven.
(I don't know, but I'll ask him next time I see him)

And we took a picture for ya. Sorry I look like a total corndog. Like I said, we were pretty smashed.

Please ask him if in the scenes they were drinking beer, were they actually drinking beer.

My dad used to tell me they aren't allowed to but I could never find anything that said that was true. I always assumed they were actually drinking beer. At least that's what I wanted to believe :allears:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

criscodisco posted:

See if this shakes anything loose:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Oh poo poo, I never realized that was Dan Castanella.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
But yeah, I do always see a bit of myself when I watch that episode.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

criscodisco posted:

loving noob

There's an episode where Peggy takes up dancing and goes by herself and hits it off with a dude but the dude is gay and his husband (played by Dan HoweverYouSpellHisName) goes to Al to try and get his husband back.

Naturally as soon as Al hears Dan cooks and cleans, he wants to marry him.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Yeah we already cleared that up. I just didn't realize it was Castanella.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

If you go to New Orleans, he does spend some time there - So if you happen to be there when he goes out for a weekend, I'll hook you up. Otherwise, come to CA - I'll buy you a couple drinks because you're not dead and I like cats.

Yeah, the Tulane thing is correct, and he was a huge presence on the show, the eps that he was in... For me, bias aside, that era is peak MWC.

And Harold is very Grifflike IRL, a pretty happy guy, just chugging along making a time of it. He's very intelligent, his speaking voice and tone is exactly Griff.

I don't think he would have much interest in our humble forums (or any forums/social media for that matter.) I don't think I've ever seen him post to his Facebook, come to think of it.

a wise man indeed

we could all learn a lot from Gri--Harold ... Griffarrold

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Clockwork Sputnik is the man

Hey does anyone else besides me remember the commercial for the Married With Children movie? It was at the beginning of some VHS tape I had. Maybe one of the Ninja Turtles tapes or The Simpsons when they actually had VHS releases of the show? I can't find it anywhere online. It was just the family sitting in front of a TV with an announcer talking about the upcoming Married With Children movie.

I could be making this up in my head but I think they simply used the movie script for the three part London episode.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul
Episode information
Episode title: Whose Room is it Anyway
Season: 1
Episode: 6
Air date: 04/26/87
IMDB link: Cast and Crew
Albundy.net trasncript: Transcript
Bundyology notes:

Bundyology posted:

None

Summary:
Al pays the bills in a way that only Al can. Surprisingly, his cost-cutting measures meet with less than complete cooperation from his family.

Centripetal Horse says:
The Bundys' brokeness is probably the single most common theme in episodes of Married... with Children, but somehow it never gets old. Although it has come up in previous episodes, this is the first episode where Al's meager income, and the family's complete lack of spending discipline, is put on display as a major theme.

Although Al is certainly the victim in his family's financial games, this episode shows his obvliviousness to his own contributions to the problem. When he asks what the family can do without, Peggy suggests they can do without Al's $75 glow-in-the-dark tackle box.

Notable occurrences:
This is the first episode where Marcy directly mock's Al's pay. This is also the first significant sign we get of the disdain Marcy has for the underclass, despite her outward projection of being an enlightened and caring liberal.

Although the Bundys have previously sown minor discord in the Rhoades' marriage, this is the first time we see Al and Peggy engaging in an all-our war of manipulation against the Rhoadeses for their own gain. In this particular case, Al and Peggy are also warring against each other.

Peg makes a joke about "the two women who live in the brown house and say they're sisters." I think this line is notable for two reasons. First of all, it's a rare example of a joke on Married... with Children feeling dated. "The secret lesbian couple who lies about their relationship" really doesn't seem to have legs in 2016. Second, addressing homosexuality head-on becomes something of a theme on this show. There is an episode where Al bonds with a gay man who is a better wife than Peg ever was, and another very obvious "we're teaching you a lesson, here" episode where Amanda Bearse, who is gay, plays Marcy's gay cousin.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

loving noob

There's an episode where Peggy takes up dancing and goes by herself and hits it off with a dude but the dude is gay and his husband (played by Dan HoweverYouSpellHisName) goes to Al to try and get his husband back.

Naturally as soon as Al hears Dan cooks and cleans, he wants to marry him.

The dude Peggy teams up with is Sam McMurray, who worked with Dan Castellaneta and Julie Kavner (Marge Simpson) on the Tracey Ullman Show.

The face Peggy makes when she tells Al that she could have Sam and that he's sexier than Al, to which Al tells her he's gay is priceless.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Young Freud posted:

The dude Peggy teams up with is Sam McMurray, who worked with Dan Castellaneta and Julie Kavner (Marge Simpson) on the Tracey Ullman Show.

The face Peggy makes when she tells Al that she could have Sam and that he's sexier than Al, to which Al tells her he's gay is priceless.

In fact, Al calls Sam, "a homo," which is definitely going into "notable occurrences" when we get there.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Risky
May 18, 2003

Ed O'Neil irl can fight really well. He's actually a high ranking judo expert or something.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Risky posted:

Ed O'Neil irl can fight really well. He's actually a high ranking judo expert or something.

He's a pink belt in Shotokan Ninjutsu under Hidalgo Hayce.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

"What are you doing here?"
"Wife made my belt pink."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I remember the guys on the show going to a fancy salón and getting jherri curls and poo poo.

They get too froufrou so Al suggests they pop off a fire hydrant and "Wash the Gay away". Dunno why that's always stuck with me.

There's something about O'Neil's look that's perfect for Al. Downtrodden. Deeply set eyes cast in shadow. Strong nose that's pronounced but somehow looks smushed against his features. Tan, baked bean teeth that form a goblin-like smile of insanity and hopelessness. It's utterly mesmerizing.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Please ask him if in the scenes they were drinking beer, were they actually drinking beer.

My dad used to tell me they aren't allowed to but I could never find anything that said that was true. I always assumed they were actually drinking beer. At least that's what I wanted to believe :allears:

Never on a hot set. Off hours or even on the lot, sure but never on set. Stages are very closely monitored ESPECIALLY if minors are working. But the beer in their cans was usually sparkling water. Provided, incidentally by a beer bottling company specifically as props - so as to get the "pssht" carbonation sound when opened. But totally non alcoholic (funnily enough I learned this from working for the red Cross during the aftermath of the 94 Northridge quake - the first few days cases of canned 'prop' water were donated to the shelter at Santa Monica College)

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 21, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Risky posted:

David Mamet made Redbelt after being introduce into MMA by Ed O'Neil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread