Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Air is lava! posted:

Was Dr Strange always a necromancer?

Only on Counter-Earth.

I'll give you two guesses to how this story ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mover posted:

A monstrosity of science gone mad indeed

I like that the coroner has had to jam a couple of gurneys together to support to he head.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

Only on Counter-Earth.

I'll give you two guesses to how this story ends.

1: Superman decides he has to become the new king of hell.

2: Superman decides to marry Jimmy Olsen to a gorilla.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

1. It turns out Satan was actually Superman the whole time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

Not the weirdest super swindle.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Ghostlight posted:

I'm thinking Satan is a modified Superman robot or a Kandorian assistant.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Ghostlight posted:

There is a 98% chance it is this because if there is anything Silver-Age Superman loves it is bizarre cons to protect his identity or teach someone a lesson.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

team overhead smash posted:

or teach someone a lesson.

"And that's why we don't sell our soul to Satan, Lois."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm imagining Arrested Development but with Superman as the dad.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol just lol at this weak-rear end guy not taking the rare chance to see a MODOKs dick.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not listed, but my favorite was he tricked Jimmy into thinking that Jimmy a ring let him breathe underwater and live with mermaids for a while. All because Jimmy in his sleep figured out Clark was Superman and wrote it on his hand with permanent ink so he didn't forget. So Superman made a super long clear straw that he secretely breathed an air bubble around Jimmy in the water all while distracting him from looking at his hand for a week while the ink washed off.

The mermaids were optical illusions.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not listed, but my favorite was he tricked Jimmy into thinking that Jimmy a ring let him breathe underwater and live with mermaids for a while. All because Jimmy in his sleep figured out Clark was Superman and wrote it on his hand with permanent ink so he didn't forget. So Superman made a super long clear straw that he secretely breathed an air bubble around Jimmy in the water all while distracting him from looking at his hand for a week while the ink washed off.

Every single one of these old Superman stories is the dumbest loving thing I've ever heard and it's great. :allears:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Have MODOK and Arnim Zola ever teamed up as two dudes with serious face proportion problems?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Detective No. 27 posted:

See if that happened in the movies Superman would just heat vision Jimmy's hand off.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Travis343 posted:

See if that happened in the movies Superman would just heat vision Jimmy's hand off.

He'd have to dig his ashes out of whatever bumblefuck part of Africa he got his loving brains blown off first

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Ghostlight posted:

Captain Bravo posted:

Yep.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Travis343 posted:

I'm imagining Arrested Development but with Superman as the dad.

There's always money in the Daily Planet.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Here's Lobo in the 1987 Justice League International series, issue #18

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Roth posted:

Wasn't there a book where he refused to kill Aquaman because he's also buddies with dolphins?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

Huh. I always thought the Lobo loving dolphins thing was something they made up for 52

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SilverSupernova posted:

Wasn't there a book where he refused to kill Aquaman because he's also buddies with dolphins?

Early on in PAD's run. Sometime in 1994 or so.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mover posted:

A monstrosity of science gone mad indeed

Android Blues posted:

MODOK is pretty horrifying if played straight. There was an episode of the 90s Iron Man cartoon featuring his origin story, including transformation from normal guy to giant head monster, that gave me nightmares for like a week.

MODOK's murder was pretty brutal, as well:

It's always a drag when a character with potential is turned into a punchline, because it's damned near impossible to walk that back.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Nova #9

And yes. That is in fact Nextwave's Captain @$*&%.

He later gives Sam some much needed drunken life lessons.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Huh. I always thought the Lobo loving dolphins thing was something they made up for 52

No, IIRC they established early on that the only reason Lobo works as a bounty hunter is so he can afford to feed the dolphins.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SilverSupernova posted:

Nova #9

And yes. That is in fact Nextwave's Captain @$*&%.

He later gives Sam some much needed drunken life lessons.

I love that NEXTwave is slowly being integrated into Marvel canon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think it technically always was part of it, it was just really really contained with only Aaron Stack making mention of it and no one taking it seriously. Maybe Tabitha saying stuff but I don't know even by fifth-rate X-Men standards she's remarkably underused.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I love that Marvel is slowly being integrated into NEXTwave canon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

I think it technically always was part of it, it was just really really contained with only Aaron Stack making mention of it and no one taking it seriously. Maybe Tabitha saying stuff but I don't know even by fifth-rate X-Men standards she's remarkably underused.

I know Aaron Stack kept his new personality, but the only direct mention of it I remember was when The Beyond corporation popped up in Mighty Avengers and Monica Rambeau got her hair and jacket back.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There was at least 1 or 2 mentions in the Ms. Marvel series with Carol from the late 00s where he mentions it and she's like "for the last time stfu about that it didn't happen." Then yeah Beyond with Monica is the first time the whole thing started to become formally integrated.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

I know Aaron Stack kept his new personality, but the only direct mention of it I remember was when The Beyond corporation popped up in Mighty Avengers and Monica Rambeau got her hair and jacket back.

I think Aaron got depersonalized in the Hulk? It's been a while, so he may have been repersonalized since then.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

prefect posted:

I think Aaron got depersonalized in the Hulk? It's been a while, so he may have been repersonalized since then.

He toned himself down after an epiphany in the one Marvel Zombies series when he was a member of A.R.M.O.R. going to the zombieverse to save Jocasta, but was still fairly sarcastic and snarky. He was depersonalized in Red Hulk's book then kinda shifted back to sarcastic and snarky halfway through Red She Hulk's book.
He's set to appear in Deadpool's Mercs for Money so I can only assume he'll be more in line with his Nextwave persona.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Isn't "Merc for Money" kind of redundant? Like, the only thing separating a Mercenary from a Serial Killer is that a merc gets paid.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

His original plan was to call the team the All New Heroes for Hire. He changed it to the similar sounding Mercs for Money when Luke Cage threatened legal action and violence.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Captain Bravo posted:

Isn't "Merc for Money" kind of redundant? Like, the only thing separating a Mercenary from a Serial Killer is that a merc gets paid.

Hey man, some people get into mercing for the love of the game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Hey man, some people get into mercing for the love of the game.

"Here at Deathstroke Murder & Mayhem, we go that extra mile that the big corporate mercenaries and assassins don't. Our kills are artisanal, bespoke homicides, specifically crafted to your individual needs. We're not in it for the money, we're here to make sure you get the handmade killing you deserve."

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
As much as I love the serous tone he's had the last three series, why the hell isn't Moon Knight paling around with Deadpool and Co.? Both mercs, both batshit crazy.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ferrule posted:

As much as I love the serous tone he's had the last three series, why the hell isn't Moon Knight paling around with Deadpool and Co.? Both mercs, both batshit crazy.

Totally different kinds of crazy

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gaz-L posted:

"Here at Deathstroke Murder & Mayhem, we go that extra mile that the big corporate mercenaries and assassins don't. Our kills are artisanal, bespoke homicides, specifically crafted to your individual needs. We're not in it for the money, we're here to make sure you get the handmade killing you deserve."

When Marvel and DC finally do crossovers again in about 20 years, I want to see Deathstroke teamed up with Taskmaster.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Final panel from today's issue of Spider-Man/Deadpool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Final panel from today's issue of Spider-Man/Deadpool

That entire issue belongs in this thread. Flashback issues are the best.