Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Chaos is far from unplayable, but their campaign was pretty obviously rushed compared to the other factions that were always planned as playable in the base game. They're my least favorite faction but I still have some fun with them despite the rough edges. It is what it is.

As a playable (purely) horde faction Chaos is still more refined than the Huns in Atilla, and the Beastmen are looking to be a further refinement of a campaign style that CA has only been playing with for about two years now.

Also, while I'm skeptical that plans haven't changed, its worth mentioning that the datamined information determined that the third game in the trilogy was originally planned to be All Chaos/All the time, complete with 4 unique god-specific factions. Either way I'm sure Chaos will get a lot more attention in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's the best way to deal with an ally's vassal who also happens to be the most powerful faction in the game? I'm allied with the Teef Snatchaz, but their vassal the Orcs of the Bloody Hand are on a rampage throughout the old world. It's kind of funny watching waves of orcs crash against the Chaos invasions, but I'm trying to work out a way to blitz through their territory while their forces are engaged up north.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

madmac posted:

Chaos is far from unplayable, but their campaign was pretty obviously rushed compared to the other factions that were always planned as playable in the base game. They're my least favorite faction but I still have some fun with them despite the rough edges. It is what it is.

As a playable (purely) horde faction Chaos is still more refined than the Huns in Atilla, and the Beastmen are looking to be a further refinement of a campaign style that CA has only been playing with for about two years now.

Also, while I'm skeptical that plans haven't changed, its worth mentioning that the datamined information determined that the third game in the trilogy was originally planned to be All Chaos/All the time, complete with 4 unique god-specific factions. Either way I'm sure Chaos will get a lot more attention in the future.
I'm glad i got Chaos for free at least.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Do Mannfreds mount options cause him to do less damage (if he's fully kitted out)? It just seems he is doing less than on foot.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

madmac posted:

The Slaanesh faction is going to be great

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Chaos on legendary is still the most fun I've had with the game. It's the perfect balance of having units that can win battles on legendary and tension in that you can actually enter a fail state. With Dwarves I never really felt like any one failure, when I had them or could have had them, was going to make me lose the campaign whereas with Chaos it's pretty much a constant threat, which is what you need for an ironman to have any meaning at all. VC are less solid than Dwarves but due to their mechanics you can still recover from mistakes so well that nothing ever really feels damning. Oh, I lost a province and an army? Whatever, it's still corrupted, vampires have fast growth and loads of money, I swapped the general out so all that died was trash and I can raise a new army in a single turn.

I still haven't touched and never plan on touching greenskin legendary. Faster rebellions to increase the tedium of crushing them, even less leadership on my units and more stat boosts to enemy units? Naw, I'm good. I'll probably try out Empire legendary at some point though, maybe after beastmen hit.

goodness posted:

Do Mannfreds mount options cause him to do less damage (if he's fully kitted out)? It just seems he is doing less than on foot.

All mounted units attack about half as quickly as units on foot when in melee. It's an attack interval of 2.8 compared to one of 5.5 IIRC, so he gets half the attack rolls as he would on foot. You generally need to consider promoting to mounts with care since it greatly increases your burst damage if you're microing charges or charging high priority targets but lowers your melee. On the other hand, I think his dragon upgrade at least has more AoE damage so it might balance out in a melee.

Decus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 20, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

A lord on a dragon will also kick the poo poo out of one without a dragon in my experience, simply because the dragon causes so much more knockback. Unmounted lord spends most of the fight on his rear end. It only gets more one-sided if you cycle charge.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
My Mannfred was routinely getting hundreds of kills every battle after I stuck him on a Dragon, the amount of AOE damage it gets is massive.

Although keep in mind that flying units like to disengage from melee if you aren't watching them and do a lot of their damage on the charge anyway, so they're not as fire and forget as unmounted Lords are. Also stay away from walls, I've had so many instant Mannfred deaths because he tried to land on a wall and fell through it somehow.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Twice now I've tried to launch a fight with AI reinforcements, and twice now the arrow has been on the minimap showing where they'd come from but they never showed up. Am I missing something?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Twice now I've tried to launch a fight with AI reinforcements, and twice now the arrow has been on the minimap showing where they'd come from but they never showed up. Am I missing something?

The AI is being an rear end and declining to help you so it preserve its own units? That might be a thing it can do? It's certainly a thing you can do when you're in reinforcement range of an ai ally army/city.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Stephen9001 posted:

The AI is being an rear end and declining to help you so it preserve its own units? That might be a thing it can do? It's certainly a thing you can do when you're in reinforcement range of an ai ally army/city.

By AI I mean an army of my own controlled by the AI. It's only happened while I was fighting the Dwarves in the mountains so all I can guess is that maybe because of the wonky reinforcement directions bug, my reinforcements seem to be coming from directions that are blocked by mountains and that somehow makes it so they don't spawn at all.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you don't control the large army they come in as your units flee I think

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Verranicus posted:

By AI I mean an army of my own controlled by the AI. It's only happened while I was fighting the Dwarves in the mountains so all I can guess is that maybe because of the wonky reinforcement directions bug, my reinforcements seem to be coming from directions that are blocked by mountains and that somehow makes it so they don't spawn at all.

Did you uncheck control large army? If so, then you are capped at 20 units on the field. So if your main army is a full stack, you won't get any reinforcements until one of your units is wiped out or routs off the map

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Vargs posted:

This is incredibly easy to do. Just open the .pack with pack file manager and delete stuff related to the units you don't want. You should only see entries for the units the mod has added/modified so I'm sure you can figure it out no problem. Honestly, the only thing you'd really need to delete is the row allowing them to be recruited by a specific building.

Make sure you save the mod as a separate file though, and enable that instead of the original. Otherwise the launcher will automatically update and overwrite your changes.

Thanks! You were right, it was incredibly easy. Almost too easy, soon I'll be going down the modding rabbit hole again and end up in Elder Scrolls land where you spend 10x time modding than playing.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Kainser posted:

The Slaanesh faction is going to be great

A perfect rack and huge dong for everyone! Including the mounts.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nash posted:

A perfect rack and huge dong for everyone! Including the mounts.

Events that impede construction in Imperial provinces because huge tits keep appearing on walls.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fangz posted:

Schwarz aren't attacking greenskins. Your vassals can't declare war. Greenskins are attacking your vassals. Because greenskins are unreliable, aggressive dicks that pretty much HAVE to be always at war and will poo poo all over whatever plan you have set up.

Personally I ally with Zhufbar, NOT vassalise them. Beating up on them alongside the bloody spears already pretty much already sets you on the path of the greenskins, earning you diplomatic maluses all over the place, and also weakens them, setting them up for confederation.

I guess it's possible. I just didn't see any greenskin armies anywhere close to our territory, and when I saw the message about going to war with the greenskins and I looked around my campaign map I noticed the schwarz sieging a tiny nearby greenskin settlement that had recently been confederated from the local tribe.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Playing as Chaos right now (after a lot of trouble earlier, which this thread helped with):

I think the biggest problem with Chaos is that everything is a loving slog. Beating up the Norscan factions is a slog. Razing your way through the old world is a slog. Getting new stacks up to speed is a slog. Sieging anything is a slog. Replacing losses is almost always a slog (unless you have the cash to just re-recruit, although you do lose veterancy). Chasing down that final loving stack of the Empire or whatever is a slog. It's just slow, annoying, and painful. The infighting thing makes sense from a lore perspective, but from a gameplay one it's just bullshit and actively discourages using your stacks competently (even if it's not a big loss, it's still a penalty for just trying to speed things up). Chaos is basically designed to be a big, fat, slow tide of lard that does nothing but chase armies or try to minimize losses during sieges. They're definitely my least favorite faction.

That's sad, because the Horde style gameplay has its merits. It's just that Chaos puts so many obstacles in your way, and you can't even support a new stack properly because as soon as a slightly weak Chaos army shows up it's suddenly being dogpiled by every single faction in the loving game from across the map in an instant and there's seemingly nothing you can do to correct that. It's just slow, plodding, and not terribly interesting because almost no one will fight your good stacks, and everyone will skullfuck your weak stacks, so you're just endlessly fighting sieges over and over until your eyes bleed. Beastmen seem to be a good improvement over Chaos' problems, in that they are their exact opposite: quick, they can ambush, they can replenish losses much more quickly, they can actually support new stacks properly and coordinate and cooperate with them, etc.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 21, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Grah why is everyone so bad at playing Chaos.

When you are starting a new stack, transfer about 60% of the original stack over to it, then park the two stacks next to each other in encampment stance recruiting guys until you are back to two full stacks. Don't send your new stack off into the wilderness with two measely marauders in it. It's that easy. Also if you want to chain sack, sack Kislev, not Norscans.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 21, 2016

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

my chaos Very Hard game was really easy I just allied with skaeling all game and awakened a couple tribes while killing Varg and the four of us just rolled down the map. Vampire Counts and Schwartzafen tried to make me break the alliance with skaeling pretty much every turn but I ignored them

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Just auto fight in all norscan battles and level up your hero to an unfathomable (level 30) and then tear rear end south and destroy the world. Literally no economic planning.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm pretty good at it

The problem is there's something to be said for the fun of defending cities while also taking them over instead of constant sack razing

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fangz posted:

When you are starting a new stack, transfer about 100% of the original stack over to it

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I feel Chaos has the biggest newbie trap in the attrition mechanic, in the way that some players go "oh no i must have my armies sepearated at all times!" , while in fact the attrition is no big deal, it happens at end of turn and doesn't loose more then 6-8% of a units HP for that turn.
Keep ur stacks close togheter, and only split them up when you know you are safe.

Also when it comes to Norscea I never had a problem with them as Chaos, Varg/Skaeling are weak early on and stay weak while you only grow stronger with higher tier unit unlocks, they are amazing for building a huge stockpile of favor early on since no walled settlements making for easy hit and runs.
The Kraka dwarfs at the start is way more of an challenge and a possible issue, but just make sure to break that first stack they have then proceed straight to sack then raze their capital and they will be an easy mop up.

Chaos is probably my favorite campaign and the one I've played trough the most, and as someone mentioned before its the best legendary difficulty experience I've had so far in the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Once you get a leveled lord and a full army of chosen with other top tier troops, the AI will always just run away from you forever because it will never take a fight it can't win and it will never win a fight against gold chevron chosen with their armies full of basic troops.

So you'll constantly just be sieging while the armies run from you, last 60 turns of my chaos campaign was just auto resolving sieges.

The last 20 turns of the chaos campaign was chasing a 1 HP empire lord as he sailed to the north of the map.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Full stack of Chosen in the campaign is so much overkill tho, hell even a full stack of normal Chaos warriors is way stronger then 80% of what AI armies can ever field, mid to late Chaos units are extremely strong compared to most other factions same tier units.

Early on I often leave Kholek at a 16 or 17 stack, since that's more then enough to crush any other single army, and it often tricks AI into thinking it has an advantage and they don't run, letting you stomp them good in a manual resolve.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The last 20 turns of the chaos campaign was chasing a 1 HP empire lord as he sailed to the north of the map.

This, this is amazing.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What should i know about the Luminarch of hysh?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Baron Porkface posted:

What should i know about the Luminarch of hysh?

Complete Strategic and Tactical Analysis: It's bad.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

2-shots gates last I checked.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well we all know that Empire is the king of "brute force your way through a chokepoint" so sure that's real useful.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

You're right Chomp, sorry for bothering to post. You got this thread.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Its just not that useful when a Witch Hunter knocks 4 holes in walls that will allow a much broader force in quickly and allow better bombardment from better artillery pieces (cannon) to boot.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
I guess you could build one instead of a steam tank.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Luminarks are great for assassinating enemy generals or heroes. Especially useful against the VC.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The Luminarch was actually heavily buffed last patch and does massive damage (Like, 2 shotting Giants damage) now along with greatly improved tracking against moving targets.

It can do cheap stuff in MP but there's still probably no real reason to use it in SP because it's not like the AI is massing big monsters for you to explode with it so that just leaves sniping Lords/Heroes and eh. It's an expensive toy, basically. I wouldn't hard tech to it but if you already have it unlocked than build one or two, why the hell not?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Luminark isnt a general purpose unit, it does one thing but it does it really really well. It's a magic sniper rifle. It's for vaporizing generals, heroes, or monsters. On smaller unit scaling it can one-shot most single model units. On larger unit sizes, it will still leave a varghulf or giant almost dead in a single hit.

I think a single shot can hit multiple times against large models because it does way more then the listed damage against them

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KillerQueen posted:

You're right Chomp, sorry for bothering to post. You got this thread.

Man I know we're living a Softer Gentler Games but did you really find my post that aggressive/insulting?

It's all good duder that's just how I post I'm not trying to yell at you. Just post.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Why is this? I've had both empire and dwarves run to the north when down to their last stack and no cities. They get stomped by some random Varg usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Nash posted:

Why is this? I've had both empire and dwarves run to the north when down to their last stack and no cities. They get stomped by some random Varg usually.

It's because AI heads for water when it's about to die, been a behavior pattern since Rome 2. As for why they head north, dunno. Could be that they altered the old scripting with the thought that "well, this will mostly be for norscans fleeing in this game since nobody else will enter the water!" in mind but then welp anybody down to 1 dude and no cities enters the water.

I want them to get rid of double-time or whatever the forced march of the sea is so bad. It was the worst part of Rome 2/Attila and will be the worst part of this game too once they add more naval combat/factions.

• Locked thread