Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
John Oliver did a segment on scientific studies and how most that are reported to the media are usually total BS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rnq1NpHdmw

The main thing of note is that the most accurate way to verify a scientific study is to do a replication study, but no one wants to fund those, and they certainly won't be reported in the media either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nevvy Z posted:

I just took a bus to Cleveland to buy a car from my uncle. There was a guy on the bus who was loudly talking to someone a couple rows up about how Barack Obama is gay because if you want to become president the secret bankers who control the world force you to perform a gay act.

This is just a throwback to the Skull and Bones secret society. One of the alleged initiation rituals is you get locked in a coffin with another pledge and masturbate together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL7UJ6JU1sQ

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

John Oliver did a segment on scientific studies and how most that are reported to the media are usually total BS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rnq1NpHdmw

The main thing of note is that the most accurate way to verify a scientific study is to do a replication study, but no one wants to fund those, and they certainly won't be reported in the media either.

This poo poo is lapped up and printed in the UK tabloids.
Every week theres a new 'X cure/prevents cancer', and when they checked out the study, it was funded by a maker of X.
Cadbury were caught funding one of these

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

Well there was the Peter Doshi paper about the ineffectiveness of flu shots that was touted by all the alternative medicine sites as "JOHNS HOPKINS SLAMS, DEBUNKS, AND DESTROYS ALL VACCINES WITH NEW STUDY" because they guy happened to have a fellowship there at one point... as an anthropologist. The university quickly released a bunch of statements saying that this dude was not a virologist or epidemiologist, did not conduct any flu research at Johns Hopkins, and that he in no way represented the university.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/flushot.asp

Yeah, but this is just an example of people being intentionally misleading and doesn't really change what "a (university) study" is generally accepted to mean.

You people with racist parents make me feel lucky that the biggest problem I have to deal with is my dad having some dumb ideas about marijuana being the best medicine ever and organic food tasting better than regular food (which is infested with pesticides or something, idk).

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Being black and having two parents with doctorates (molecular biologist and history professor) that were acutely aware of the world they lived in grounded me pretty well and my father's continued involvement in the community made it so that he never came off as 'I made it and you all are lazy'. He wanted the entire black community to do well. The only things I can recall is small amounts of homophobia and hispanophobia (?) that's slowly going away as they get older because they realize it's kind a poo poo thing to do. My only hope is that when they die they don't feel like I'm left with a world that was as bad as the one they grew up in. :smith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ytlaya posted:

organic food tasting better than regular food (which is infested with pesticides or something, idk).
Organic food is too, they just use all natural fungicides and pesticides like copper sulfate or Black Leaf 40.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

This is just a throwback to the Skull and Bones secret society. One of the alleged initiation rituals is you get locked in a coffin with another pledge and masturbate together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL7UJ6JU1sQ

That's gay?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

quote:

This is how the Philando Castillo incident should've played out. Good job to this smart gun owner.

Today I was pulled over by police. I had a loaded and concealed handgun on me at the time. Please keep in mind that my actions were completely voluntary for one simple reason. This is what happened.

He approached the drivers side and asked if I knew why he stopped me and I said I did not. He said my registration expired June 30 of 2016. He asked to see my drivers license, registration, and insurance card. As I kept my hands firmly locked at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel I immediately stated.....

"For your safety and mine sir I would like to inform you that I am a legally armed citizen. I have a concealed carry permit in my wallet. I don't want to get my registration and insurance card because I have my pistol in the same compartment as my documents. The pistol is in the small compartment under the cup holder. Please be careful, there is a round in the chamber, the thumb safety is on, and there's an extra magazine with it."

He asked that I keep my hands on the wheel like they were and asked again where my handgun was. He asked where my wallet was with my permit card. I answered and then said.....

" I would like you to take possession of the handgun. I'll get out of the truck if you want me to while you get it." He told me that would be great and thanked me for my cooperation.

When I got out of the truck he wouldn't turn his back to me. I asked if he would like to search me for any other weapons so he knew I wasn't a threat. He said....

"If you don't mind that would be great. Do you have any other firearms or weapons on you or in the truck?" I replied that I did not.

The police officer searched me and retrieved my handgun from the compartment with my documents and asked permission to retrieve my drivers license and conceal carry permit from my wallet. I gladly gave him permission to get what he needed. I also gave him permission to search the rest of my truck if he wanted to if he felt it necessary. The officer declined the consent I gave him to search.

After all the formalities the cop brought my pistol back to me and I said "If you want you can just lay everything on the drivers seat and I'll get it when we're done."

I thanked him for being as calm as he was especially dealing with someone that had a handgun that was legally carried. The cop thanked me for my cooperation. He asked me to sign the warning ticket and to make sure to get my registration taken care of ASAP.

I thanked him and the back up officer for their service and told them to be safe, especially nowadays with all the crazy poo poo that was going on. I told them that was the reason I carry a handgun myself. I shook both of their hands. He handed me my warning and I went on my way.

After the cold blooded terrorist attack and hate crime in ‪#‎Dallas‬ and that day learning about ‪#‎BatonRouge‬ where the blood spilled still fresh in the minds of every American I chose to do what I thought was right.

The moral of the story.

It's about everyone's safety.

It's about respect.

When you treat people with civility you get treated with civility.

Thank you Altoona Police Department for having professional law enforcement officers representing your department and protecting the well being of the city.

‪#‎BlueLivesMatter‬
‪#‎MyLifeMatters‬
‪#‎AllLivesMatter‬
‪#‎Respect‬

Saw this on Facebook. The alleged storyteller doesn't mention whether he's white or black in this particular STDH.
Kind of disappointed that nobody stood up and clapped at the end.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

the_steve posted:

When you treat people with civility you get treated with civility.

you hear that, cops

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

the_steve posted:

Saw this on Facebook. The alleged storyteller doesn't mention whether he's white or black in this particular STDH.
Kind of disappointed that nobody stood up and clapped at the end.

This man found out the secret to not getting shot by jumpy cops: give up your right to not be searched whenever they feel like! Cops HATE LOVE him.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dienes posted:

This man found out the secret to not getting shot by jumpy cops: give up your right to not be searched whenever they feel like! Cops HATE LOVE him.

I can't imagine that there are real people who oppose black lives matter who would voluntarily surrender their firearm to a government official.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nevvy Z posted:

I can't imagine that there are real people who oppose black lives matter who would voluntarily surrender their firearm to a government official.

For some reason, I don't think they count cops as "government officials."
I've got coworkers who just KNOW that if Obama ever did say "I'm sending the army to steal your guns", that the entire military would revolt because not a single American soldier would follow that order.

Point is, when they think "Obama tryin to steel mah gunz!", I'm pretty sure they're expecting the nebulous Men in Black, not good ol' local boys who grew up in REAL America.
Basically, the cops and soldiers are the "good ones" as far as government law enforcement goes, it's the Feds who are on Obama's illegal goon squad.

Besides, if you're not guilty of anything, then you've got nothing to hide :smuggo:

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I'm on mobile and the app seems to lack search, but can I request a repost of the jangly gold chain breakdancer walking story?

The one that ends with Obama talking to bin Laden and an elder of Zion via video conference.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

That's homophobic.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Also Altoona is a tiny-rear end town if Google is to be believed so again, not a Metropolitan City cop.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SSNeoman posted:

Also Altoona is a tiny-rear end town if Google is to be believed so again, not a Metropolitan City cop.

I've seen this a bunch recently about how it's just all those big city cops being racist assholes, but it's important to note that small towns with small police forces also breed a lot of insular terrible bullshit as well.

Small town cops have the potential to be dangerous assholes just as much as big city cops. In some areas depending on the color of your skin they may even have MORE of a potential to be a dangerous rear end in a top hat.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mints posted:

I'm on mobile and the app seems to lack search, but can I request a repost of the jangly gold chain breakdancer walking story?

The one that ends with Obama talking to bin Laden and an elder of Zion via video conference.

Found it. It was in the COnservapedia thread.

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

King Hussein Obama I, flanked by his bodyguards, stepped out of his blinged Limoscalade and marched up the gold-lined marble steps of Washington Palace. It should have been a glorious day, yet under his heavy yet exquisite crown of carved human fetus-ivory his brow was ridged deeply as he silently brooded. Still, his posse, boomboxes on their shoulders, dance-walked up the steps, chains and gats jangling over the din as they grabbed their crotches.

As his trusted associates T-Von and Mook-Mook the Bushman pushed open the grand organic farm-grown cruelty-free redwood doors paid for by his 95% tax rate, he stepped into the antechamber of the gold-domed palace. Outside, ShariaVentalism reigned, but in here his word was law, and all his white teen sex slaves cowered before his glare more than even the hemp whips of their latte-drinking tweeded atheist masters.

He walked down the hallway toward his office and a prisoner in chains passed before him, lead by two turban-wearing Mexicans. He spotted the King and began shouting curses.

"You loving fascist! I knew it! I knew it! I told them, but they wouldn't listen, that your health care platform was a slippery slope to all this! You won't get away with this! The will of the Free Market will not be denied!"
"Seelenceo een the prezence of the Keeng, preesoner!"

King Obama spotted a chance to improve his ill mood.

"Bring him here. Good. Give me his file." The king looked over the prisoner's dossier. A long list of crimes against the state, and a repeat offender.
"You'll never get away with this! Never!"
"Hush now, Mr. Jack. We have ways of dealing with unruly sorts such as yourself."
"Praise be to Allah, seenyor."
"Peh! I spit at your torture! The Free Market gives me strength!"
"Oh, no, not anything as gauche as that."

The King grabbed a syringe from the outstretched hand of one of his nearby breakdancing bodyguards, and plunged it into the man's helpless neck.

"Now you are immune to rubella."

Kyle's lingering, echoing screams of tormented horror brought a slight smile like a crack in Obama's stony brown face as he walked into his lavish velvet-lined office and shut the door behind him. He motioned for his bodyguards to leave the room, and he addressed the giant screens hanging over his desk.

"Screen one on. Connect to Emperor bin Laden of Eurabia. Screen two: Hugo Chavez of the U.S.S.A.R.. Screen three: The High Elder of Zion."

The three figures appeared live via satelite.

"Gentlemen," began Obama darkly, "it's time to have...a conversation."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Found it. It was in the COnservapedia thread.

The sad part is that it still sounds better than a Trump presidency.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I can't even believe this is a thing I had to spell out. I'm in blue.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Nevvy Z posted:

It's a gross oversimplification to just call him a racist like that. He is sensitive and more complicated than that!

Anyways, I got this hilarious joke about black people all liking watermelon, it's SO ABSURD!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Nevvy Z posted:

:commissar:: "I meant it ironically" is no longer accepted as a valid defense, citizen.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

It's a gross oversimplification to just call him a racist like that. He is sensitive and more complicated than that!

Anyways, I got this hilarious joke about black people all liking watermelon, it's SO ABSURD!

Oh that's where I started. This guy offends me as both a human and as a lover of comedy. What kind of hack rear end 'comedian' relies on lovely stereotypes to carry the humor.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
To a certain extent, I'm receptive to the idea that people of different racial backgrounds bonding through obscene or vulgar jokes about race.

That kinda goes out the window if there isn't a Black person in the conversation punching back with jokes about white people.

Sounds like racism to me.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Who wants some bizarre Brexit fanfiction? Apparently the EU is destroying all cultural differences between European countries, somehow.

Here's a quick and dirty translation:

quote:

Long live borders!

Well, well

Arriving in Great Britain for the first time since Brexit...

I don't know if it has anything to do with Brexit but I've never had my papers so closely inspected by customs in Plymouth: the customs agent shines a light through my ID card, he asks me if I have anything else, like my driver's permit and if I have my passport; he asks me a number of questions like "Why and where are you going in the UK? For how long? Are you living in France or the UK (the weird grammar is in the original)?" "Well, let's not get carried away here. Neither one nor the other: In Brittany!" But I felt it would be better to not play around too much..

Well! A bit more of a hassle going through customs? About 10 minutes of stress? I don't care! If the British control their borders good for them! If the rules change for entry into the UK and I'll have to have a passport in addition to my ID from now on I'll get one...

I prefer when I go to foreign countries to really feel like I'm in a foreign country, that I'm not at home anymore: To have some problems with customs, to need to get different money, to change the time by subtracting one, driving on the left, needing to get an EU/UK adapter to plug in my computer (and if I forgot to bring mine having to use a QWERTY keyboard instead of an AZERTY one), to speak a different language, to need to measure distance with different units (miles, yards...) to eat eggs, sausage bacon and beans in the morning...

There are those who prefer to go from Quimper to Helsinki on the highway without ever noticing that they've gone through Brittany, France, Flanders, the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Finland, speaking Globish (he means English) at gas stations along the way and in the end eating McDonalds and buying clothes at H&M with €'s, which they could just as well have done in Quimper...

That's one way to be open to the world...

And here's the original text for anyone interested.

quote:

Bevet ar bevennoù !

Setu, setu...

Degouezhet evit ar wech kentañ e Breizh-Veur goude-Brexit...

N'ouzon heg-eñ eo liammet gant ar Brexit, met biskoazh n'eo bet burutellet va faperioù ken pizh er maltouterezh en Aberplymm : sellout a ra ar maltouter ouzh va c'hartenn-bivelezh a-dreuz ar gouloù, goulenn a ra diganin hag-eñ am eus un tamm paper all evel va aotre-bleniañ, hag-eñ am eus ouzhpenn un tremen-hent ; sevel a ra goulennoù pizh ouzhin evel "perak ha pelec'h ez it d'ar R.-U. ? E-pad pegeit ? Are you living in France or in the UK ? Ma ! Arabat mont re bell ganti ! Nag en eil nag en eben, alato : In Brittany !" Met santet em eus e oa gwelloc'h chom hep c'hoari va faotr fin betek re...

Ma ! Un tamm "torrpennoc'h" (ma c'haller lavarout) an tremen er maltouterezh ? Un 10 munud bennak a enkrez eno ? Ne vern ! Ma kontrol Breizhveuriz o bevennoù, gwell a se evito ! Ma vo kemmet ar reolennoù evit mont e-barzh ar R.-U. hag e vo dav hiviziken kaout un tremen-hent ouzhpenn ar gartenn-bivelezh, e c'houlennin unan...

Plijusoc'h e kavan, pa 'z an d'un estrenvro, santout ha kompren dres emaon en un estrenvro, n'emaon ket mui du-mañ : kaout un nebeud diaesterioù gant ar valtouterion, rankout ober gant ur moneiz disheñvel, kemmañ an eur dre zilemel unan, bleniañ war an tu-kleiz, bezañ prientet un azasaell U.-"E" / R.-U. evit lugañ va urzhiataer (ha ma n'em befe ket degaset va hini, bezañ "rediet" d'ober gant ur c'hlavier QUERTY e-lec'h AZERTY), komz en ur yezh all, bezañ "rediet" da vuzuliañ an hedoù gant unanennoù disheñvel (miltirioù, yards...), debriñ vioù, silzig, bacon ha fav er beure...

Tud all, evel-just, a gav plijusoc'h mont eus Kemper betek Helsinki war ar gourhent hep bezañ merzet zoken o deus treuzet tro-ha-tro Breizh, Bro-C'hall, Flandrez hag an Izelvroioù, Alamagn, Danmark, Sveden ha Suomi..., o komz globish en un nebeud stalioù trelosk o do kavet war o hent, evit, a-benn ar fin, debriñ e MacDonald ha prenañ dilhad H & M e Helsinki ha paeañ gant €-ioù...pezh o defe gallet ober e Kemper...

Un doare all da verzout an digorded war ar bed, evel-just...

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Sorry for late response on this. As a researcher, if I saw something was "a Berkeley study," I would expect to be able to call the department and Institutional Review Board at UC Berkeley and get more information, etc. I mean I actually probably wouldn't because that's not how researchers talk, but if I was giving someone the benefit of the doubt, I would assume that whoever said that is trying to allude to IRB and department approved and supervised research.

Edit: beaten and by John Oliver too.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

Who wants some bizarre Brexit fanfiction? Apparently the EU is destroying all cultural differences between European countries, somehow.

Here's a quick and dirty translation:

He should fly to the US. If long rear end customs bureaucracy is his poo poo, our TSA lines are so long he will probably cream himself when he sees them.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Someone's trying to convince a friend of mine to read Mises and Rothbard over Facebook. What are some good articles by them to drop to show how batshit they are besides Rothbard's "Free Baby Market" article?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Someone's trying to convince a friend of mine to read Mises and Rothbard over Facebook. What are some good articles by them to drop to show how batshit they are besides Rothbard's "Free Baby Market" article?

Mises was an advocate of "praxeology," which is similar to, although not as extreme as, Ayn Rand's belief that all moral questions could be answered by starting from from "A is A."

Most praxeology is saying, "well.. empirical data is hard to gather and use.. so you can't trust it, and so instead what we're going to do is derive everything from a set of reasonable first principles using deductive reasoning." This made a lot more sense before computers made working with empirical data a lot easier, but is now basically just a way for Austrian and Chicago school economists to dismiss out of hand any numbers that disagree with their Just So stories and notions about Rational Actors.

The funny thing about the Chicago school is that it does not entirely reject empiricism. So you get these svengali-like sleight of hand attempts to throw a bunch of FUD up around empirical data that leads to conclusions they disagree with while citing credulously any empirical data they do agree with. It's pretty intellectually bankrupt.

Studying economics through Mises, at this point, is like studying psychology by reading a lot of Freud. Like there are some key principles that might apply in 2016, but the majority of it has been supplanted by more modern ideas.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 22, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Start with Human action, by Ludwig von Mises.

Have a good laugh on page 33:

quote:

Praxeology is a theoretical and systematic, not a historical, science. Its scope is human action as such, irrespective of all environmental, accidental, and individual circumstances of the concrete acts. Its cognition is purely formal and general without reference to the material content and the particular features of the actual case. It aims at knowledge valid for all instances in which the conditions exactly correspond to those implied in its assumptions and inferences. Its statements and propositions are not derived from experience. They are, like those of logic and mathematics, a priori. They are not subject to verification or falsification on the ground of experience and facts.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

A social science school that denies all methodological and theoretical basis of the discipline. A shameful social science school.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

KiteAuraan posted:

A social science school that denies all methodological and theoretical basis of the discipline. A shameful social science school.

An economist is someone who sees something in practice and tries to figure out if it would work in theory.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think obama is a tyrant who wants to create a police state and also that liberal protestors should be chopped up in wheat threshers

i'm a nice guy

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Jurgan posted:

An economist is someone who sees something in practice and tries to figure out if it would work in theory.

Listen, if there were a real $20 bill on the ground friend then someone would have already picked it up so therefore it can't possibly exist.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Yeah, that's why.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The reason people don't protest in the country is because 20 people marching down the only street that matters in town doesn't really make a big impact.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jurgan posted:

As an Econ grad student, that's offensive. Sometimes we just take poo poo that works in theory and act confused when governments don't immediately take up our brilliant ideas

like Robin Hanson, god bless that wannabe cryogenicist

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nevvy Z posted:

I just took a bus to Cleveland to buy a car from my uncle. There was a guy on the bus who was loudly talking to someone a couple rows up about how Barack Obama is gay because if you want to become president the secret bankers who control the world force you to perform a gay act.

Oh come on, that's just about as silly as UK toffs loving a dead pig in an initiation ritual!

... :ohdear:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh come on, that's just about as silly as UK toffs loving a dead pig in an initiation ritual!

... :ohdear:

They never actually let him join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Start with Human action, by Ludwig von Mises.

Have a good laugh on page 33:

Also, thanks for this, but I didn't end up needing this. After I went to bed the dude freaked out about how links to their own writings was "lies and deception" and that Hillary is literally a communist and everyone figured out he was a nut job and not someone actually recommending useful things to read.