Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

Thanks for the help and recommendations guys. I opened up the laptop this afternoon and the jack was just a 4 pin connector so I ordered the new power jack, found one on amazon for like :10bux: So we will see if that solves the problem, if not I guess I'm ordering a 2.5" transfer case.

GopherFlats fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GopherFlats posted:

Thanks for the help and recommendations guys. I opened up the laptop this afternoon and the jack was just a 4 pin connector so I ordered the new power jack, found one on amazon for like :10bux: So we will see if that solves the problem, if not I guess I'm ordering a 2.5" transfer case.

I don't know if you need a case, just a USB-SATA interface. I got a really great Anker one for $25 Canadian, so like $3 US.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hey, so this afternoon I'm driving my computer to my mates place about an hour away. I want to make sure that nothing is damaged in transport. The case is a CM690 ii advanced, so a pretty bulky ATX case. The biggest things I'm worried about are the TC14PE cooler and the GTX 980 GPU. I can have the computer upright in the passenger seat, but I'm considering putting it flat in my boot to avoid torsion on the motherboard from the cooler. Only problem with the boot is that it would be more likely to slide around as it has quite a bit of room. Is there a preferred method? The computer has no HDDs so I'm not worried about that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Lay it flat, the CPU cooler is the greatest source of torsion. Shove some pillows or something around the case so it's cushioned and the torsion is reduced. It would be super if you could shove some bubble wrap or other cushions inside the case to further reduce the force, but just watch how fast you are going around corners and you will probably be fine.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just bought a new stick of ram for my laptop (Lenovo x250). How long do I need to keep it running in memtest? Any options to include when I start it?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

McCracAttack posted:

Thanks for the reply. BIOS is up to date and I tried making a bootable Memtest86+ USB stick but got nowhere so I'll come back to that when I've got a bit more patience.

Windows has a built in memory test. "windows memory diagnostics" in the start menu

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
I got a Gigabyte Z170N Wifi rev 1.0, because i wanted to be able to overclock, and use 3200 Hz RAM, but like a fool, I didn't check that it could run 8 Gb sticks at 3200Hz, and now I find out only the rev 2.0 can do this. Is this some sort of software or firmware kind of thing I can fix or am I doomed to forever have my RAM running at 2133 Hz?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

HalloKitty posted:

Windows has a built in memory test. "windows memory diagnostics" in the start menu

Is this robust enough for my purposes also?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

BurritoJustice posted:

Hey, so this afternoon I'm driving my computer to my mates place about an hour away. I want to make sure that nothing is damaged in transport. The case is a CM690 ii advanced, so a pretty bulky ATX case. The biggest things I'm worried about are the TC14PE cooler and the GTX 980 GPU. I can have the computer upright in the passenger seat, but I'm considering putting it flat in my boot to avoid torsion on the motherboard from the cooler. Only problem with the boot is that it would be more likely to slide around as it has quite a bit of room. Is there a preferred method? The computer has no HDDs so I'm not worried about that.

Lay it flat behind the passenger seat and recline the seat all the way back so it pinches it down onto the back seat.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I looked around and didn't see a better place to ask this question:

What's the best option for securely storing and backing up photos and documents for a home network (two laptops, a few tablets and that's about it). Is there a hardware option that could do this wirelessly, or am I better off paying for a monthly online backup service?

It's all extremely mundane poo poo like family photos and tax records...

E: In short I want to know if network attached storage or online backup is favored these days. Thanks!

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 21, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Diver Dick posted:

What's the best option for securely storing and backing up photos and documents for a home network (two laptops, a few tablets and that's about it). Is there a hardware option that could do this wirelessly, or am I better off paying for a monthly online backup service?

E: In short I want to know if network attached storage or online backup is favored these days. Thanks!
There's a backup thread here, the short answer is you want both. If you're gonna be lazy like most people I would prefer a cloud backup because I think it is much more likely that a fire or natural disaster will destroy all your storage devices than that an established cloud backup provider would shut down without warning or gently caress up and lose your data unless you are using a Microsoft cloud.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Diver Dick posted:

Backup solutions are fairly cheap, probably go with whatever provider is recommended in the thread Alereon linked, on-top of using a cloud backup, I'd grab an external harddrive (or 2) and plop the data on those. If you REALLY REALLY care and don't want to risk losing the physical hard drives, take them out of your house and put them somewhere else that you feel is safe. Flash memory is not a good thing for a long-term backup, so avoid using USB sticks for this, just stick to platter drives, they will last a long time especially if you don't have it plugged in all the time.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Thanks! I'll start my research in the linked thread.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Red_Fred posted:

I just bought a new stick of ram for my laptop (Lenovo x250). How long do I need to keep it running in memtest? Any options to include when I start it?

I usually run Memtest for an hour or two, or overnight if timing suits. However, whenever it has detected a problem it has done so within the first 30 minutes.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
How useful are separate sound cards, anyway? Some people swear by them and claim that there is a noticeable difference in audio quality, but other people tell there's barely a difference. What would be the case if I was considering a Xonar DG?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
A lot of depends on how terrible your motherboard sound design is. Some mobos are pretty good and adding a discrete sound card is barely/unnoticeable, others suck rear end and even a non-audiophile can hear the difference.

I run an old SB X-fi Platinum because I use all the I/O's, but I can't hear much difference between it and the onboard Realtek. However, on my old P67 ASUS board, there was a big difference in sound, the onboard(also Realtek) had hum and hiss under certain workloads.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

rear end posted:

How useful are separate sound cards, anyway? Some people swear by them and claim that there is a noticeable difference in audio quality, but other people tell there's barely a difference. What would be the case if I was considering a Xonar DG?
That depends entirely on how good the onboard sound on your motherboard is, which is mostly determined by how much effort and expense the motherboard manufacturer went to isolate the analog audio traces on the board from the digital traces. Great motherboards like Asus' ROG range will do as well as good dedicated soundcards, cheap motherboards will be awful. Here's one of Anandtech's last Z97 motherboard reviews (chosen for variety, the same trends hold for current boards), look at the Rightmark Audio Analyzer benchmarks around the middle of the page. Dynamic range measures how good the audio processing hardware on the board is and shouldn't vary too much from board to board (but sometimes does anyway). THD+N measures how much analog distortion and noise (interference) there is and is really what measures how well the motherboard's audio was implemented. Asus cares a lot about signal quality on their boards so they tend to do well on audio. Specifically, the audio portion of the motherboard is completely isolated from the other sections to prevent interference, they make a portion of the board transparent so that you can visually see they aren't connected. Here's some Asus marketing from 2014 that shows this off.

All that to say, if you bought a high-end motherboard you probably don't need to upgrade. If you have a lower-end board it would probably help.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 22, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

rear end posted:

Just listen to your music on the current sound card you have. Does it have an annoying hum or hiss that won't go away no matter what speakers/headphones you switch to? You'll benefit from a separate sound card. Otherwise, don't bother.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Wasn't sure whether to put this in this or Parts Picking. The question's perhaps too vague.

It's been said that 'heat is the enemy'. I am currently discovering this. Recent hot weather is causing heat warnings(70C and higher) when playing things with any real stress. As far as I'm aware, I have the default cooling from my old-ish(Receipt says I bought the thing in 2013-I think I bought the thing from advice from here) GTX 660(Is it even worth upgrading, when the most stressful thing I play is along the lines of Dynasty Warriors 8 or World of Warcraft?), and the default fan/heatsink/whatevers that came alongside my processor, an i5-3570K. Under minor stress(Maybe too many Chrome windows) it's 40-50C.

I have no idea what's 'safe' in regards to temperature, except the simplistic thoughts of 'lower is better' and that 'they wouldn't warn you without good cause'.

Mainboard is Asustek P8H61, if it matters.

Two thoughts:

1. Should I buy one of these fancy heatsink things? Is it a case of 'anything's better than stock'?
2. Is it worth considering upgrading the graphics card? Would an older card run hotter by default? Is age a factor in heat produced?

I have no intention of overclocking, if it matters.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 23, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

rear end posted:

There's a lot of RF and electrical noise in the case, and most low-end motherboard chipsets are both poorly shielded and lack the op-amp needed to boost the Realtek's SNR (Realteks are designed to work either with out without the op-amp to give the motherboard designer cost flexibility). So the problems with your P67 are relatively common. Front audio connections tend to be particularly noisy in my experience, since there's a long run of poorly shielded cable.

On the other hand, if you don't hear any problems on your newer motherboard then by all means use it. There are technically-superior DACs out there that support greater bit-depth and faster sample rates, but it's beyond the limits of human hearing for most people and it's extremely difficult to get media with that quality to begin with.

The one area that you may see a noticeable improvement is if you're driving a nice pair of headphones and you need a more powerful amp than the motherboard provides. Some headphones just need a really powerful amplifier and sound funny without it even at low volumes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bloodly posted:

It's been said that 'heat is the enemy'. I am currently discovering this. Recent hot weather is causing heat warnings(70C and higher) when playing things with any real stress. As far as I'm aware, I have the default cooling from my old-ish(Receipt says I bought the thing in 2013-I think I bought the thing from advice from here) GTX 660(Is it even worth upgrading, when the most stressful thing I play is along the lines of Dynasty Warriors 8 or World of Warcraft?), and the default fan/heatsink/whatevers that came alongside my processor, an i5-3570K. Under minor stress(Maybe too many Chrome windows) it's 40-50C.

Step one, vacuum out your heatsinks and any dust filters. You really should do this at least once a year especially in a case without positive pressure and dust filters.

If that still doesn't fix it, remove the CPU and GPU heatsinks and re-paste them using Gelid GC Extreme or Noctua NT-H1. If you can't get those, make sure whatever you use is non-conductive.

You may also want to consider replacing your fans, depending on their age they may be wearing out and not moving as much air as they used to.

To answer your question, anything under 90C is OK for both CPUs and GPUs. 75C or lower is preferable but there's no physical harm running in the 80s.

Also, a 660 is getting up there in years and you could pick up something like a GTX 970 pretty cheaply (~2.25x as fast for ~$175), or go for a new 1060 instead ($250, 2.5x as fast, even lower power) and take a big step forward in performance. If you are having heat problems stay away from AMD. But on the other hand if you are happy with what you've got then there's no real reason to upgrade.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 23, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

fishmech posted:

Uninstall Bitdefender completely. The antivirus it has is worse than Microsoft Security Essentials(Windows 7)/Windows Defender(Windows 8 and 10), and the firewall is worse than the built in Windows Firewall for actual firewall purposes.

What should I use instead? Windows Defender?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

goodness posted:

What should I use instead? Windows Defender?
Yes, use the Microsoft-provided security software for your OS.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Alereon posted:

Yes, use the Microsoft-provided security software for your OS.

Good to know it's still good. MSE was always really good and low key.

I had switched because I read that defender was bad or a memory hog, maybe I remember wrong.

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

On the subject of sound cards:

My pc is hooked up to a tv over hdmi (via an amp) with 5.1 speakers. Picture and sound go out over hdmi, with sound from the onboard card. Would a separate sound card still send audio over hdmi or would it insist on using its own output?

Cheers

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

all_purpose_cat_boy posted:

On the subject of sound cards:

My pc is hooked up to a tv over hdmi (via an amp) with 5.1 speakers. Picture and sound go out over hdmi, with sound from the onboard card. Would a separate sound card still send audio over hdmi or would it insist on using its own output?

Cheers
If you have multiple audio devices, the Windows sound settings will allow you to set any one of them as the default. There generally wouldn't be any insisting, maybe apart from what it picks as a default upon installation. Which you can easily change.

There wouldn't be much of a point getting a separate sound card if all your audio is going out over hdmi currently, because that's already hard bypassing all the garbage aspects of onboard sound anyway. It's barely, if at all, involved at this point.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

goodness posted:

Good to know it's still good. MSE was always really good and low key.

I had switched because I read that defender was bad or a memory hog, maybe I remember wrong.

Whoever was saying that either was in the business of selling other antivirus, or was thinking of the old Windows Defender from years back, which was a very barebones thing that later got replaced by MSE.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know the answer to this already but hoping someone can pull some magic answer out of their rear end. Cousin's hard drive is on the fritz, says at one point he managed to get it up and start dragging files but it stopped, I plugged it into the hot swap port on top of my tower and eventually a couple drives appeared but are inaccessible, telling me to scan them. Said restart PC to fix errors, restart hangs forever if I dont unplug it, same thing happened on his computer. Worst of all, hearing clicks in it. Actually worst of all, has important photos on the drive but I guess they are all down the drain now. Anything I might try to see if I can recover any of it? I did have a drive exactly like it, same size and all a while back that I was able to recover most of the data but I dont think it had the dreaded click of death.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

fishmech posted:

Whoever was saying that either was in the business of selling other antivirus, or was thinking of the old Windows Defender from years back, which was a very barebones thing that later got replaced by MSE.
People spent a long time fetishizing detection rates on benchmarks sponsored by the commercial antivirus industry.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

codo27 posted:

I know the answer to this already but hoping someone can pull some magic answer out of their rear end. Cousin's hard drive is on the fritz, says at one point he managed to get it up and start dragging files but it stopped, I plugged it into the hot swap port on top of my tower and eventually a couple drives appeared but are inaccessible, telling me to scan them. Said restart PC to fix errors, restart hangs forever if I dont unplug it, same thing happened on his computer. Worst of all, hearing clicks in it. Actually worst of all, has important photos on the drive but I guess they are all down the drain now. Anything I might try to see if I can recover any of it? I did have a drive exactly like it, same size and all a while back that I was able to recover most of the data but I dont think it had the dreaded click of death.

Try freezing it. I've had a couple of dying, clicking, hard drives that I was able to pull data off of after an overnight stay in the freezer. I put 'em in plastic bags to minimize condensation.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Is it somehow possible to connect the case's HD AUDIO connector to a USB amplifier?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

NihilCredo posted:

Is it somehow possible to connect the case's HD AUDIO connector to a USB amplifier?
Give us a link to the sort of product you consider to be a USB amplifier, so we can figure out why specifically the answer is going to be no.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Flipperwaldt posted:

Give us a link to the sort of product you consider to be a USB amplifier, so we can figure out why specifically the answer is going to be no.

You could do it if you chopped up the internal audio header and wired the appropriate cables for the headphone into a 3.5mm or 1/4" TRS plug.

At the end of the day it's all just signal, there's nothing magical about the internal audio header that makes it special. Put the right connections on the right pins and it'll be fine.

It's still a bad idea because those wires are always crappy and poorly shielded and pick up RF/electrical noise like crazy.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 24, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fast am-I-stupid question: Combination of Windows (8.1) and HP Stream 11 laptop.

I refreshed the device to clear all the crap out of it and sort of 'start over' and it worked great a couple days. I worked with it a bit two days ago half in the sun/shade (about an 80 degree day), and it got kinda noticably warm after about 10-15 minutes of use. So was I anyway, and so I took it back to my air conditioned office.

I used it another full day, no issues. Today I took it to my cool home and let it update the jack jumpin hell out of itself (Windows 8.1 updates all over again), come back home after lunch and suddenly the backlight doesn't work. If I shine a flashlight into the screen I can see brighter imagery in the murk, so it isn't an issue with the device trying to output an image to a projector that isn't there or something.

I was thinking maybe it's some setting in the BIOS or in Windows that got flipped and now it doesn't trigger the backlight at first, but after additional thought, maybe I baked the little bastard and it just took a couple more days to kill itself. How screwed do you suppose I am here, and what are my options.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Fast am-I-stupid question: Combination of Windows (8.1) and HP Stream 11 laptop.

I refreshed the device to clear all the crap out of it and sort of 'start over' and it worked great a couple days. I worked with it a bit two days ago half in the sun/shade (about an 80 degree day), and it got kinda noticably warm after about 10-15 minutes of use. So was I anyway, and so I took it back to my air conditioned office.

I used it another full day, no issues. Today I took it to my cool home and let it update the jack jumpin hell out of itself (Windows 8.1 updates all over again), come back home after lunch and suddenly the backlight doesn't work. If I shine a flashlight into the screen I can see brighter imagery in the murk, so it isn't an issue with the device trying to output an image to a projector that isn't there or something.

I was thinking maybe it's some setting in the BIOS or in Windows that got flipped and now it doesn't trigger the backlight at first, but after additional thought, maybe I baked the little bastard and it just took a couple more days to kill itself. How screwed do you suppose I am here, and what are my options.

Have you tried booting into another OS using like an Ubuntu liveUSB or just the installation media for the laptop to rule out software?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

tuyop posted:

Have you tried booting into another OS using like an Ubuntu liveUSB or just the installation media for the laptop to rule out software?

I'm going to try this next, but I'm not very confident. It's an HP, so the restore is on a separate partition, and I've already tried wiping the OS partition and reinstalling that from the restore partition, having to shine a flashlight into it the whole time. Even accessing the BIOS screen for boot options and whatnot won't light it up. I'm guessing that Linux won't fare any better, but I guess we'll see.

edit: yep, no worky. Linux Mint live boots up just fine, no backlight. Bightness control shows in the gloom and does nothing. Am I boned? Next steps?

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 24, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

I'm going to try this next, but I'm not very confident. It's an HP, so the restore is on a separate partition, and I've already tried wiping the OS partition and reinstalling that from the restore partition, having to shine a flashlight into it the whole time. Even accessing the BIOS screen for boot options and whatnot won't light it up. I'm guessing that Linux won't fare any better, but I guess we'll see.

edit: yep, no worky. Linux Mint live boots up just fine, no backlight. Bightness control shows in the gloom and does nothing. Am I boned? Next steps?

Someone's going to recommend googling your laptop model number + backlight or screen repair.

But, odds are you'll just spend $60-$300, two weeks of waiting for parts, and five hours scouring the carpet for lost screws only to break sixteen crucial paper-thin plastic tabs and plugging your laptop into a monitor for a few months while you save for a MacBook Pro so you never have to go through this again.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

tuyop posted:

Someone's going to recommend googling your laptop model number + backlight or screen repair.

But, odds are you'll just spend $60-$300, two weeks of waiting for parts, and five hours scouring the carpet for lost screws only to break sixteen crucial paper-thin plastic tabs and plugging your laptop into a monitor for a few months while you save for a MacBook Pro so you never have to go through this again.

You've read my mind. I'm not handy, and it was a $200 laptop, 1.5 years old, and it was only ever my satellite machine. Maybe I'll connect an external hard drive to it and have it be a headless media server. Time to find a new cheapie.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Hey guys, small M.2 / PCIe question here. I have an Asus ROG Ranger Z170 board, and I'm wondering if buying and plugging in an M.2 SSD will cause the graphics card to run at less than x16 lanes. I know the difference between that and x8 isn't that big but I'll just get a SATA SSD if it's the case. I've tried googling it but it's difficult to find a straight answer. The CPU is a 6700k if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tuyop posted:

Macs break all the time, telling people to drop thousands on one so this "never happens again" is downright cruel.

doctorfrog posted:

What probably happened is that the fuse on the backlight blew, if it doesn't turn on at any point. Less likely would be the backlight failing without the fuse blowing.

I would only consider it likely to be a software issue if it works when you start it up and then shuts off once it gets into Windows.

You can probably repair this yourself if you're careful to find the exact part numbers to buy.