Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

overdesigned posted:

And yet for some reason the Navy keeps so much of their initial flight training there :negative:

Hey now, there's nothing like praying for a weather cancel because you were up all night planning the night before and still have no idea what you're actually doing. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I passed a couple of flights.

Tide posted:

Yeah. I think they get their first 20-30 hrs at whatever flight school is at Bay Minette airport. Which has an all female flight line staff. Not too terrible on the eyes either.

I did IFS at Babe Minette. Unfortunately, you're not actually operating out of the FBO for that, but the flight school a little ways up the flight line. Pretty much the only flight line staff there was, like, Rudy the fuel truck driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Old stickler dude. Ugh. Every company has one or two in the training department, right?

Our "old stickler dude" is actually a line captain who insists that everyone has to follow the manuals exactly as they're written, to the point where he insists that he knows better than the check airmen ("they teach cultural procedures, not what's in the manual"), and he spent an entire three day trip insisting that I was required to say the call sign first in every single radio transmission, which was fun.

Thankfully, we have a really good training department, and they're smart enough to never allow this guy anywhere close to being a check airman.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 19, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

...and he spent an entire three day trip insisting that I was required to say the call sign first in every single radio transmission, which was fun.

gently caress that guy. It screws with my brains when you do that to me.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Despite the sim powering down on short final of our LOE, I passed and am done with 12 month. What a loving piece of poo poo nightmare. Our CQ program blows too. Thankfully I'm good for 6 months and then it's just an MV or upgrade training. Which should be about the same time.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Is this TFR big enough? Looks like the republican party is compensating for something

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
"We'll have the yooogest, most luxurious TFR!"

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 20, 2016

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The curmudgeons at AOPA Forums love to piss and moan about any Obongo related TFR, but they've been strangely quiet about that RNC monstrosity.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Make America Grounded Again

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Jeez, that thing even encompasses Akron, Mentor, and Lorain. That's like 60 miles in diameter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Luneshot posted:

Jeez, that thing even encompasses Akron, Mentor, and Lorain. That's like 60 miles in diameter.

30 nmi radius

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Which one of you assholes filed direct DUFUS?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Got a call from Seymour Johnson airfield manager asking me to fill out a UFO report. He was dead serious.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Unless you're operating scheduled service you have to stop in either Youngstown or Akron for security screening before being allowed to the Cleveland airports.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So you can open-carry near the convention but god forbid an aircraft plans a flight to one of the main airports in the city?

I don't mean to be critical, but I think the US may have their priorities in the wrong order re: freedoms.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

So you can open-carry near the convention but god forbid an aircraft plans a flight to one of the main airports in the city?

I don't mean to be critical, but I think the US may have their priorities in the wrong order re: freedoms.

President Trump would absolutely goat-gently caress GA operations in South Florida whenever he comes home.

TFRs are almost as loving stupid as TSA.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

MrYenko posted:

President Trump would absolutely goat-gently caress GA operations in South Florida whenever he comes home.

TFRs are almost as loving stupid as TSA.

How long has that "temporary" flight restriction been over Disneyland? :colbert: MAKE IT A GOD drat R-AREA OR GET RID OF IT ALREADY!

Same with that DC loving ADIZ. UGHHH

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Why even have TFR's? Then only the criminals will fly through them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh man, had a flight in a c172p today (my school uses m and n usually.*).so.....why was it an actual piece of poo poo? Like terrible.

*Desi, what model were the rentals from vic if you remember?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Any airplane more than a month old can be a piece of poo poo if it isn't taken care of.

You'll have to be more specific about what was lovely.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rolo posted:

Any airplane more than a month old can be a piece of poo poo if it isn't taken care of.

You'll have to be more specific about what was lovely.

Yeah, I think my school used mostly P models with perhaps one or two N models, and I can't remember much of a difference between the two. I think there was more variance between individual P models than between the average P model and the N model, if I'm being honest (certainly between the 62 gal. tank C172P and the rest of the fleet -- a pox on the people who would fill it full by accident in the middle of summer!).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Why even have TFR's? Then only the criminals will fly through them.

This wouldn't happen if everyone had a TFR.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh man, had a flight in a c172p today (my school uses m and n usually.*).so.....why was it an actual piece of poo poo? Like terrible.

I learned and still fly in C172P Skyhawks.

One is kind of like flying a mid 80s Buick four door. Which is to say its a bit of a slug. The other isn't bad, a little more sporty. Interior sucks though. The headliner droops on your head and all markings on the instrument panel are pretty much worn off. Not sure if you flipped the beacon? FLIP ALL THE SWITCHES.

My frame of reference is kind of limited, though, with a handful of hours in Piper Cherokee 180's / Warriors, C150's, and C162's each. Enough to get the initial log book endorsements but no recurrent flying/training since.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

shame on an IGA posted:

There was a lot of discussion of that cable failure in GiP back when it happened, which led to this wonderful slice of instructional filmmaking. I wince every time I see someone towing a vehicle with rope now.

https://youtu.be/LGH_GUbdTeQ

Always hilarious when a snatch strap (designed to use the recoil of the stretched line as mechanical advantage for pulling out a stuck 4x4) snaps and detonates the rear window. Luckily the bystanders usually tend to know the dangers and stand outside the danger zone (and the REAL rednecks call a friend with a tractor and some really heavy chain to pull it out slowly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4heELj8wcLM

And here's a guy talking about the aftermath of a break. Note that the end of it is embedded in the sidewall of the spare tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR22oP1WRtY

Pretty sure steel cable (see broken arresting gear videos) does the same or even more so; do hemp lines just limply fall to the ground when they break?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Delivery McGee posted:

Always hilarious when a snatch strap (designed to use the recoil of the stretched line as mechanical advantage for pulling out a stuck 4x4) snaps and detonates the rear window. Luckily the bystanders usually tend to know the dangers and stand outside the danger zone (and the REAL rednecks call a friend with a tractor and some really heavy chain to pull it out slowly).

A kid died in Australia a few years back when being snatched; the shackle came through the back window and hit him in the head.

There was also a photo doing the rounds of a cargo cage in the back of a 4WD being very bent after a snatch strap shackle attempted to enter the cabin. poo poo is dangerous.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

The VFC planes were a P (INH) and an R (KMY). They both had 180hp conversions as they could be put on floats when needed and you want the extra oomph toget those big bulky floats out of the water. That was probably the difference. You flew PAU right?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Desi posted:

The VFC planes were a P (INH) and an R (KMY). They both had 180hp conversions as they could be put on floats when needed and you want the extra oomph toget those big bulky floats out of the water. That was probably the difference. You flew PAU right?

Yes I did. It felt bumper and less responsive than anything

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AvWeekJC/status/757260395832893440

First gear-up of the week?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Gets pretty hectic, those controllers really cram the planes onto those runways (3 at a time on the same runway). Easy to miss a critical landing checklist item if you're not way on top of your game.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
That is why the NOTAM says to have your gear down by fisk if possible.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
From that twitter page it sounds like the gear was down but collapsed due to "bouncing." My guess is the pilot was assigned a dot to land on and had a less than stellar technique for landing on a specific point.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

When did PSA start running DAY-ORD? I didn't realize they were starting to cross-fleet PSA's flying onto old Envoy turf now.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

KodiakRS posted:

From that twitter page it sounds like the gear was down but collapsed due to "bouncing." My guess is the pilot was assigned a dot to land on and had a less than stellar technique for landing on a specific point.

Warbirds and other fast planes have a separate arrival with their own runway to land on, using the full length, and with a pretty much normal ATC interaction. No wing-rocking or landing on colored dots.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Is a Mooney that sort of airplane?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

CBJSprague24 posted:

When did PSA start running DAY-ORD? I didn't realize they were starting to cross-fleet PSA's flying onto old Envoy turf now.

A few months ago. SKW, RAH, MAG, and PSA have all fly on "Envoy's turf" since after the bankruptcy. They have something like 9 regional carriers all experiencing some level of pilot shortage so they tend to change what airline is doing what flight on which equipment on a monthly basis.

The Ferret King posted:

Is a Mooney that sort of airplane?

Most Mooneys are fast when compared with single engine Cessnas or Pipers but compared to anything other than another light piston single it's pretty slow.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

IceLicker posted:

Is this TFR big enough? Looks like the republican party is compensating for something

I wonder.... do Canadian pilots care? That does cross the border.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

KodiakRS posted:

My guess is the pilot was assigned a dot to land on

:stare: that's a thing? That seems like one dumb incident away from the FAA sweeping in and being like "nah, no more of that."

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
TBH when you have three or four times as much runway as you need this method would save a lot of taxi time and it's not like expecting a pilot to be able to touch down roughly on one of those dots would be asking too much.

I bet getting people off the runway and parked is the hardest part of controlling traffic at this event.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Duke Chin posted:

That seems like one dumb incident away from the FAA sweeping in and being like "nah, no more of that."

You’re not wrong, but till then, it does work.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Oshkosh AirVenture is a special snowflake in so many ways. You guys should check out the pilot briefing guide/NOTAM and watch some in cockpit videos of arrivals. It's neat. And it's what has to happen to fit that many airplanes into such a saturated area.

Interestingly, there are provisions for landing more than one aircraft at a time on runways at normal airports too. It's pretty tough to get them that close, but it's legal nationwide. Oshkosh goes one step further and adds colorful dots to the equation to make it something specifically assignable.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Pixelboy posted:

I wonder.... do Canadian pilots care? That does cross the border.

Not ones that are planning to stay in Canada, and if you're that far out over the lake, you're probably planning to cross the border anyway.

• Locked thread