Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

FAUXTON posted:

Getting one of the tea party's turnbuckles shithoused out of the senate and possibly imperiling the seat in 2018 by way of intraparty warfare was the plan the whole time.

texas is not going to vote out rafael "ted" cruz, have you BEEN to texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grondoth posted:

I can't loving believe how terrible this convention has been run. I can't loving believe how every part of it has been so bad.

i can :sad:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
A plate of brown pellets is laid in front of boosted

"Mmmm so tasty Mr trump, thank you so much for this gift! I'm gonna gobble em all down!"

Manafort leans over and whispers "does he know they're rat turds?"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah boosted, remember how Rubio was only strengthened by Christie suicide bombing him?

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Grondoth posted:

I can't loving believe how terrible this convention has been run. I can't loving believe how every part of it has been so bad.

Are you kidding? This is the best part.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sarmhan posted:

Maybe Manafort played it down/ didn't tell them?

I think Manafort was too clever by half, thinking that Cruz would look like a sore loser and only damage himself.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I like how when Manafort has Trump on the leash the campaign just barely staggers along, and every time his hold slips for even a second these amazing little disasters unfold right away

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

toe knee hand posted:

http://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/status/755963201473445889

For background, Gary Bettman is the wildly unpopular commissioner of the NHL who gets booed at most of his public appearances.

I was in the arena for this during the lockout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6UWj1YZW2M

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

I'm thinking it'll be less Steve Austin and more Owen Hart.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/755962430304428033

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The real masterstroke will be if Donald can't top this drama tomorrow and this is the story of the convention. Cruz will have beaten Trump on showmanship, finally.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
are twitter embeds not working for anyone else?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trump constantly leaving so he can frantically dash between ATMs to keep his kite going is the unsung hilarity of this convention.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm a little surprised that Trump's "I'm not even mad" tweet referred to Ted Cruz by name instead of Lyin' Ted.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah I'm not sure I agree this was a smart move by Cruz, maybe if Trump goes down to humiliating defeat, but if it's a near run thing he's going to have the reputation in Republican circles that Nader does among Democrats.

Definitely a disaster for Trump though, there is no way to spin this week as a unifying event.

It was a high-stakes gamble but not a stupid gamble. In four years NOBODY is going to want to be on the record as having supported Trump.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Getting one of the tea party's turnbuckles shithoused out of the senate and possibly imperiling the seat in 2018 by way of intraparty warfare was the plan the whole time.

Everyday of this convention provides more evidence to both the "Trump is a Clinton plant" and "Trump campaign is being run by Russian plants" hypotheses.

Gotta dig into the Clinton Foundation stuff to see if these two theories can be combined.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Woah, cogent analysis from Nate.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I'm really looking forward to a 2 minute "Convention Highlights" video where we first get sections of Melania's speech played back to back with Michelle Obama's. Next it will cut to Friend Ben saying how Hillary worships Satan. Maybe a breather with Michael Flynn trying to get the 8 people left in the room to chant USA. Next we get Ted Cruz boo'd off stage for not endorsing Trump, a Sig Heil from Blond Fox Lady, Cancer Pill Lady on Cat Drugs....

And I can't wait to see how they close this mofo out tomorrow!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

sites all frigged up

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
dat headline:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/no-sign-trump-endorsement-plenty-cruz-ambition-125701181.html posted:

Ted Cruz booed lustily as he refuses to endorse Donald Trump

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i look foward to donald trump continuing to have a 1/3 of being president after a week of absolutely scathing stories and the most poorly run convention in modern history

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
This could be a real problem for the Democrats.

'Cause the Democratic convention is going to look really boring by comparison.

Oh well. I'm sure the media will gin up something to show the Democrats as Just As Bad. Gotta be evenhanded.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It was a high-stakes gamble but not a stupid gamble. In four years NOBODY is going to want to be on the record as having supported Trump.

They're not going to want to be on record implying it's okay to let Hillary win either if they're Republicans.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

paranoid randroid posted:

sites all frigged up

only thing not working for me right now

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

babypolis posted:

i look foward to donald trump continuing to have a 1/3 of being president after a week of absolutely scathing stories and the most poorly run convention in modern history

38% as of now, according to 538, and Trump will probably get some kind of a convention bounce despite all this so it's going to go up in the next week.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
biggest bump thats gonna come out of this convention is the rail of coke Milos snorting off the toilet in his hotel room while he hides out from BLM hitsquads

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

They're going in and out

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
cruz is just playing to the future opinion that the gop would have won in 2016 if they had run a true conservative, just like they said in 2012 and 2008

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Anything hilarious coming out of the FEC filing?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/755981619081674752

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

blue squares posted:

apparently the 50 million loans wasnt forgiven? not sure the whole thing was lost in the live posting

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Ceiling fan posted:

This could be a real problem for the Democrats.

'Cause the Democratic convention is going to look really boring by comparison.

Oh well. I'm sure the media will gin up something to show the Democrats as Just As Bad. Gotta be evenhanded.

I'm waiting for all the joke about the RNC during the DNC

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Boosted is dead right on this one. He's clicked into the Republican groupthink.

People happy with Cruz: #NeverTrumpers, diehard Cruzites, a few talk radio hosts, Democrats, the media.

People who hate Cruz: Republicans.

Adelson shut him out, donors are charging at him, delegates from his own state boo'ing him, and now the RNC has thrown him under the bus. Cruz just didn't take a poo poo on Trump, he took a poo poo on the RNC, the GOP, and Mike Pence. This was supposed to be Pence's big night and Cruz ruined it.

The party has had enough of Ted, maybe he'll continue to be a force in Texas, but four years is most likely not enough time to heal this wound.

Before today I feared Cruz was going to be the 2020 nom, he blew it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Concerned Citizen posted:

cruz is just playing to the future opinion that the gop would have won in 2016 if they had run a true conservative, just like they said in 2012 and 2008

There's a difference between 'you should have picked me' and 'vote for whoever.' Republicans regularly pick runners up to be the next nominee, but someone who told the Party to gently caress itself on the biggest stage possible may have some trouble. Or he may not! But it wasn't a safe bet.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

blue squares posted:

He seems to have forgiven the loans, and wasn't lying about the (very mediocre) fundraising numbers, so not really. People haven't had a chance to really dig through it yet, though.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Concerned Citizen posted:

hillary's gonna get two terms by default because her opposition will have been trump then cruz lol

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

e: whoops that link was June nvm

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Hey when you are a serial killer at the age of 1 you gotta be smart

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
SA banner ad size:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

blue squares posted:

Meredith McIver doesn't seem to exist, or at least isn't on campaign payroll.

edit: :widowsnypa:

• Locked thread