Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Gender-swapped example of "guys of online dating" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
What a weirdo, everyone knows [redacted] guys are the hottest ethnicity of all. And don't even get me started on [redacted] women, phwoar!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/...a4g&sh=ab177deb

"Just arrived to my hotel after a long flight, only to discover that their team had amazingly fulfilled my special request."

http://imgur.com/a/Q3qrh

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
My favorite part is the one or two posters saying it didn't happen and then like 10 people screaming WE CAN NEVER HAVE FUN PEOPLE ARE SO CYNICAL AT MY HOTEL WE WOULD HAVE LOVED TO DO THIS

At least some people doubt it? Better than imgur

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Xen Tricks posted:

My favorite part is the one or two posters saying it didn't happen and then like 10 people screaming WE CAN NEVER HAVE FUN PEOPLE ARE SO CYNICAL AT MY HOTEL WE WOULD HAVE LOVED TO DO THIS

People rabidly defend their right to be lied to. It's, frankly, ridiculous. They get so wrapped up in this thing existing that they go nuts about someone doubting it.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

People rabidly defend their right to be lied to. It's, frankly, ridiculous. They get so wrapped up in this thing existing that they go nuts about someone doubting it.

This guy debunking the 'filmed in a studio on earth' thing about the Apollo missions has a relevant bit about that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGXTF6bs1IU&t=665s

hogmartin has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Jul 18, 2016

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Xen Tricks posted:

Any luxury hotel would do this, on one of two conditions:

1. You're a major VIP, and request it.
2. You pay a poo poo ton of money for them to do it.

So basically, this didn't happen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

p sure this poster is a gimmick but

quote:

It really was the peak of the day. ... It really was the highlight of what ended up being a pretty rough night.

We spent weeks getting all the preparations just so. Since I decided I'm going to take a break for a while from College, I used the money I was going to put towards classes this semester and went out and bought a BUNCH of GB16 merch. Like, an ungodly amount. My sister still insists that I'm slowly turning into a hoarder, but I know for a fact that a LOT of this stuff is going to be really rare and valuable some day. Plus, I knew that buying every piece of merch for this film in sight was in my own small way helping Feig and co. fight the good fight against the misogynists and sexists, so it really filled me with a sense of pride.

Over the past few months, I had become a GIGANTIC Holtzmann-head. (Seriously, Kate McKinnon is like, literally my favourite person on the planet right now. I absolutely adore how she mugs for the camera literally every time she's on screen, it's the cutest and funniest thing in the world and I was absolutely smitten by the end of the film...is she single? Hey, where's there's hope there's good fortune as my great-grandfather used to say! )

I tried my best to channel my inner Holtzmann and stared off into space, mugging at an invisible "camera."

I literally think Harold Ramis was honestly watching over us last night because amazingly no one was seriously injured.

Now, this was a completely windless and still night. No gusts at all, no reason for this can to roll over to me. But, honestly, I took it as a sign. A sign that no matter what, Ghostbusters don't give up, despite any setbacks or sexism they may face. I felt like I could practically see Harold Ramis' ghost smiling at me and gesturing to the movie theater down the block.

"Aww, how cute," I cooed, "The Troglodytes graduated into 5th grade and learned a new insult. How clever." I said while rolling my eyes. That seemed to really prick the short one.

Well, that about it did it for me. Insult me all you like, but no one disses Mama Bear

While my rage was still ringing in my ears, I eventually heard a sound I don't usually hear. At first I thought it was just popcorn popping, but it was actually applause. I turned around to see the entire lobby applauding and cheering for us. For once, Brains had triumphed over violent and bigoted brawn. The manager at the theater came up to me and personally thanked me, saying they had been having problems with those two particular trouble makers for quite some time. I told them it was all in a days work. Right after that, a woman approached me. Turns out she was a retired female astronaut, and had heard the whole thing. She actually begin crying as she told me how brave I was for sticking up for women in the STEM field. I was humbled by her candor. We embraced for a moment while she wept, and I told her everything was alright now, the Ghostbusters were here.

This cannot possibly be real.

Also, how do you become "a gigantic ____-head" for a character who you haven't even seen yet? They're on the way to see the movie for the first time and he's already a gigantic fan of a new character? That's a weird level of pre-emptive nerdiness.

I get showing up to a movie sequel dressed as your favorite character, but showing up to the first film for a new character already absolutely in love with that character? Modern marketing I guess.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
poo poo that definitely didn't happen. No Man's Sky seems like a cool game, but the amount of obsession over it was alarming even before people started inventing fake pregnant wives that love to draw diagrams.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
If she's pregnant that means they did a sex

For real, guys. She took her shirt off and they kissed and he touched her boobs.

And now she will poop a beautiful nerd baby :angel:

Because he did sex. For real.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Pregnant and ignored wife desperate for attention tries one last attempt to share retarded husband's lame hobby before leaving him

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

This cannot possibly be real.

[/quote]

Its not. I figure most people didnt make it, but in the end he meets a female astronaut and they hug because they bonded over women in STEM being ok.

Like, this is a definitely parody, its just not particularly well done so its unclear for a while that it is one.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

blue story's husband

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Captain Monkey posted:

Its not. I figure most people didnt make it, but in the end he meets a female astronaut and they hug because they bonded over women in STEM being ok.

Like, this is a definitely parody, its just not particularly well done so its unclear for a while that it is one.

Also he calls Hunger Games an intellectual masterpiece or something.

Ghostbusters story is good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

It's embarrassing when I have to wait on my journey to work because some idiot has stopped their car in front of me to go catch a Pokemon.

sure

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

What a weirdo, everyone knows [redacted] guys are the hottest ethnicity of all. And don't even get me started on [redacted] women, phwoar!

See, up to that point, or at the very least, the line "You're pretty hot for a [redacted] guy" is believable.
After that is when it ventures into "is this just a poor parody?" territory.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

I don't know if they stop when there are cars behind them, but I know for a fact people stop outside my house to catch Pokémon. I don't play the game, so I don't own if it's a gym or what, but a shitload of kids have showed up since the game was released.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Per posted:

I know it's STDH and all, but do you really get arrested for causing traffic accidents if you're not drunk in the Santa Clara area?

California law: No. STDHLand Law: Absolutely.

You have to be DUI and/or have warrants to be arrested after a wreck.

Khazar-khum has a new favorite as of 08:26 on Jul 20, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I have a Pokestop outside the front of my place (painted signal box) and a gym across the road (big ol' church), so there are greasy nerds loitering outside on the footpath or in the church's parking lot at odd hours. Luckily I'm round the back of my place so only my neighbours near the front of the property have their sleep disturbed by weirdos celebrating that they've caught a Rapidash :cool:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Accompanied by this, which did not help the instant "of all the poo poo that did not happen" feeling I got the second I started reading it.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I KRIED B/C A MAN YELLED IN THE THEAT

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

LIKE if u cry every time a ghost busts

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I ain't afraid of no feels.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I, too, remember a South Park bit from 2006.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ha ha I killed Kenny :evilgrin:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

davidspackage posted:

Ha ha I killed Kenny :evilbuddy:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moon Slayer posted:

I, too, remember a South Park bit from 2006.

It's ,making a comeback, so be ready.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Huh I didn't actually know it came from South Park, you learn something new every day (it's not always something useful tho :v:).

CannedMacabre posted:

I ain't afraid of no feels.

Nice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fathis Munk posted:

Huh I didn't actually know it came from South Park, you learn something new every day (it's not always something useful tho :v:).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83bkpkCQu2Q

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That episode is 17 years old at this point. It could have just graduated high school.

When that episode first aired, the Commodore 64 was as old as that episode is now. That episode is the midpoint between the launching of the Commodore 64 and RNC Cleveland 2016.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Jul 21, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That's uh an interesting date system.

Year 34 CE (Commodore Era)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Cleopatra lived closer to that joke than to the building of the pyramids!!!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

The thing is, with a movie like Ghostbusters (or two), it really shouldn't matter what critics say. It's not loving Smultronstället.

e: Well of course it doesn't matter to me what critics have to say about any movie but :shrug:

Please use the proper title, Marvel's Avengers: Smultronstället

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

TheKennedys posted:

Accompanied by this, which did not help the instant "of all the poo poo that did not happen" feeling I got the second I started reading it.

Everyone cheered when some guy yelled at people making out in front of him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I have a Pokestop outside the front of my place (painted signal box) and a gym across the road (big ol' church), so there are greasy nerds loitering outside on the footpath or in the church's parking lot at odd hours. Luckily I'm round the back of my place so only my neighbours near the front of the property have their sleep disturbed by weirdos celebrating that they've caught a Rapidash :cool:

Hearing stories like this confuses me. There are like 8+ Pokestops between the parking lot and the building where I work (at a medical school with thousands of students), and I do not think I have seen a single person playing Pokemon (though I did see some police officer talking to other police officers say something about catching a Jigglypuff). It's not like there's any dearth of 20-somethings around there, so I'm wondering why other places seem to have wandering herds of people congregating around Pokestops but I haven't seen such a thing.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ytlaya posted:

Hearing stories like this confuses me. There are like 8+ Pokestops between the parking lot and the building where I work (at a medical school with thousands of students), and I do not think I have seen a single person playing Pokemon (though I did see some police officer talking to other police officers say something about catching a Jigglypuff). It's not like there's any dearth of 20-somethings around there, so I'm wondering why other places seem to have wandering herds of people congregating around Pokestops but I haven't seen such a thing.

There was that one time a bunch of people crossed the street into Central Park because something came up. Most of these "dearths of 20-somethings" are just two or three small groups of friends hanging out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MizPiz posted:

There was that one time a bunch of people crossed the street into Central Park because something came up. Most of these "dearths of 20-somethings" are just two or three small groups of friends hanging out.

I can understand someplace with the density of Manhattan, but I hear this sort of thing from people who sound like they live in more or less suburban areas. It's probably just a coincidence that I haven't seen any yet (or that they've seen so many people).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a Legion branch (Canadian veteran's organization. Basically just a vet's bar) on my way home from work that has a howitzer on display out front that's a Pokestop. For the last 2 days there's been a group of 4-5 kids sitting in the shade under it playing.

The town has like 7000 people so that's a pretty big group for here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
There's a cemetery within walking distance of my house that has a bunch of Pokestops (10 at least) and 2 gyms. For the past week there have been a string of cars just circling around inside the cemetery every night after work.

Oddly enough, I'm mostly bothered by the fact that these assholes can't get out of their car and walk around. At least look at the memorials, dagnabbit.