Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

I recognize the algorithm it is a pretty bad approximation, obviously it varies by how passionate players are and all. However, I'd say it is at least as accurate as Steamspy, at any rate. Steamspy seems generally worthless in it's estimations, as it is often underestimated by a magnitude (look at other games where official sales were announced, and compare them to Steam spy). At any rate, the 14,000 Steamspy sales doesn't really say anything.

steamspy is at least collecting data at some level, it's way less worthless than your weird "algorithm"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Paul Zuvella posted:

steamspy is at least collecting data at some level, it's way less worthless than your weird "algorithm"

The point of it was to illustrate that Steamspy doesn't really work, as it very consistently underestimate's sales by a huge margin. Again, just do some statistical analysis, and doing something like multiplyiing it's numbers in basically every case where actual sales are known will get you closer to the actual estimate.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I hope that ZTD is a success and that we get to go to Zero's magical murder mansion another time.

Also I hope they continue to release to pc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I've been playing Ever 17 and am in the final route. I actually like the twists in this game more than the twists in the Zero Escape series, even if the pacing and overall game design isn't quite as "tight" and well done. Most of the twists in Zero Escape were the sort of things that were really surprising and made sense, but they didn't give me the same sense of "wow, all this stuff from earlier in the game now makes sense!" that Ever 17 has. Makes me want to replay some stuff and see if there's anything else I missed.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

* From poking around online, it looks like Steamspy estimated Crusader Kings II had ~1.2 million owners on Steam.
* 2 years ago, Paradox said that Crusader Kings II had sold one million copies

But sure, whatever, I'm sure Zero Time Dilemma has sold five times as many copies as estimated, because your headcanon algorithm says so

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Linguica posted:

* From poking around online, it looks like Steamspy estimated Crusader Kings II had ~1.2 million owners on Steam.

But sure, whatever, I'm sure Zero Time Dilemma has sold five times as many copies as estimated, because your headcanon algorithm says so

No you're wrong. 1/300 people review games on steam. This is fact. That means that Crusader Kings 2 has actually sold 4.7 million copies. The developers are wrong.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Linguica posted:

Huh, it looks like at some point the numbers got mixed up in my head. I'm guessing I for whatever reason added up the expansion purchases at some point or something. I still feel like the Steam Spy numbers when the statistics initially were released were like 1/5 the actual sales numbers, but clearly I'm an idiot who can't be trusted.

I still don't think we can say ZTD is poorly selling, because we don't know the Vita or 3DS sales, and Steam Spy still errs on the underestimate side.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

wow man, remember that twist in vlr where k is actually akane in some of the timelines because of schrodinger's cat?

VLR was a good game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Speaking of which, the best twist in this game was when you opened Sean's head, got the "Schrodinger's Cat" achievement, and then the camera panned up and it turned out that he wasn't someone completely different in this timeline. That one blew my mind.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I like Sean, but I can't say he has a good head on his shoulders.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Holy poo poo, that game. :aaaaa:

I want to imagine Delta's your POV the whole time, and he's just rolling around and looking around wildly to get those weird camera angles.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is there a good way to take the concept of timelines that branch based on choice and scattered, non-chronological fragments of plot and put together in a way that makes playing through them all not extremely tedious? VLR did the former pretty well, since there was usually a lot of plot to be explored after each branch, but when ZTD added the fragments then the best way to play through those decisions was to go through and make each different choice one after the other.

A few of the decisions (like the voting thing at the start of the game) could be massively reduced by removing that choice from the player's hands, since it's ultimately meaningless who you end up executing and in what order. Having a joint cutscene where everyone simultaneously makes their decisions, hidden from the player, and then immediately fades into the quantum fog of the morphogenetic field, would nearly sidestep the problem of how mind-bogglingly boring it is to press a button six different times (at the cost of some illusion of player agency). Other decisions aren't so easy, though. The do-not-press button decision needs player interactivity, but, again, no matter what your decision is, it's best for you to immediately go back and make the other decision to unlock more plot.

I'm actually super interested in solving this kind of narrative problem, since branching-narrative stories like this are exactly what I want to be making in the future.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

blastron posted:

Is there a good way to take the concept of timelines that branch based on choice and scattered, non-chronological fragments of plot and put together in a way that makes playing through them all not extremely tedious? VLR did the former pretty well, since there was usually a lot of plot to be explored after each branch, but when ZTD added the fragments then the best way to play through those decisions was to go through and make each different choice one after the other.

A few of the decisions (like the voting thing at the start of the game) could be massively reduced by removing that choice from the player's hands, since it's ultimately meaningless who you end up executing and in what order. Having a joint cutscene where everyone simultaneously makes their decisions, hidden from the player, and then immediately fades into the quantum fog of the morphogenetic field, would nearly sidestep the problem of how mind-bogglingly boring it is to press a button six different times (at the cost of some illusion of player agency). Other decisions aren't so easy, though. The do-not-press button decision needs player interactivity, but, again, no matter what your decision is, it's best for you to immediately go back and make the other decision to unlock more plot.

I'm actually super interested in solving this kind of narrative problem, since branching-narrative stories like this are exactly what I want to be making in the future.

Going off of this, the decisions didn't really have any power behind them because you could (and were encouraged to) immediately turn around and make the other choice. I know ultimately everything happens and a bunch of timelines are hosed, so I guess that's something, but other than that there aren't any real consequences or narrative reasons to care about the hosed timelines.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I'm fairly certain the fragmented flowchart is another consequence of the game's limited budget. This way they don't need to program entire endings for every decision, only endings to scenes.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So I was reviewing the VLR Q&A.

"Can you give us any hints about Phi?"
"(greek letter phi)"

And the best thing is that is a real answer. Phi was partially named as part of a Greek letter theme by Sigma and was raised by an older Phi.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Holy poo poo, what a game.

I got it on Steam, and my laptop was having some weird graphical issues with it. It was mostly okay except for one puzzle that was completely broken - I couldn't see anything on the panels of one of the rotating polyhedron puzzles. But by that point I was so determined to see what happened next as soon as possible and play through the rest of the game myself that I looked up a let's play on youtube for that room, and painstakingly paused and restarted it to copy everything they did move by move on my blank polyhedron. It worked! :shepface: It was a pretty surreal experience that seems to be fitting for this game in general though.

The first thing I called right in this game was at the start. It seemed obvious that the correct coinflip ending was what we would go back to for a true happy ending, after getting whatever knowledge we needed from the game on the other side of the flip. The first WTF the game gave me was the first time I saw some doll faces come up in the status screen. I'd brought up the status screen just once or twice before I think, and it was always blank with ??? on everybody cause I didn't have any clue yet who was alive or not. Then for some reason I felt like checking it again a bit later, even though I still didn't expect it to display anything. But now it had just a few of the doll faces showing and Junpei's scared the gently caress out of me cause it was like 2 AM and I thought it was some other glitch on my laptop. That was fun.

Going through the whole big rec room puzzle and all the trouble of putting the heart together, then getting rewarded by having to roll all 1's OR DIE was the most hilarious bullshit. Carlos and Akane were just bonkers for not drinking along with Junpei after they got it. Oh speaking of the heart puzzle, I went to that room shortly after discovering Mira's identity. Between that and Sean rattling off all the details of her murders early on, I thought for a while that her murders were going to be a major theme, and Mira was going to be even more integral to the plot than she already is. Like maybe every single murder she did, not just the first one, turned into catastrophic snail situations piling on top of each other to destroy the whole universe or something. And Sean knowing so much about her murders was because he was secretly Zero, and he only remembered that stuff because stopping her was the whole point of this game, just like 999's game was all about stopping Ace and saving Akane. So that was my theory for a while until I got Sean and Zero talking in the same room. Then I started getting stuck on all the same things everyone else was.

I thought the acid showers were the worst and most hosed up things as far as the deaths went. (I thought the voice acting was a bit weak here though, that is some pretty tame screaming for the situation.) Looking back after beating the game, it's especially twisted that you never really had to choose to use them to progress. And yet, everyone's still going to end up willfully using them just cause we assume you have to try everything in this game.

What ended up disturbing me way more though, was the Sigma+Diana ending. I was typing up my responses and thoughts on things as I went along, just to keep notes and look back on once I finished. And my responses once Diana got pregnant were basically all: OMG IT'S THE HORIZONTAL TANGO PSYCHICBABIES?! WHAT THE gently caress WHAT THE gently caress NO NO NO THIS IS HORRIBLE! It just horrified me to watch Diana already breaking after a month, then extrapolating 10 months of stretching out that loving dog food, her having to give birth in that place, and having those babies born to do nothing but starve with them after they've used up all their supplies. And they're sitting there smiling and gushing about their unconditional love, and I'm still gawking at my screen thinking how is this happening, this is too hosed up! Then I remembered the teleporters but that didn't help, because the originals are still going to starve, while the new copy orphans are still getting sent out alone into spacetime who knows where, not ever getting to know their parents, and I'm bawling my eyes out at this point when they start mentioning names and OHHHHH poo poo

Up till this branch, I'd been thinking maybe Phi and Luna were the secret twins. Cause of the "familiar scent" and Phi having a "TWIN" X-pass, and her red hair, and her brooch looking like Luna's hair thing, and them both having to put in "a mother's memento". But no, Diana was the mom, so the twins are Phi and... Delta? Who the gently caress was Delta?!?!?! Then I found out who Delta was. :stare:

At first, I thought the "it's you, Delta!" reveal was a low point of the game and a bit clunky. But I got to appreciate his role more and more looking back on how it had been foreshadowed after all. I had a similar reaction to the teleporter. When I first got to that room, I was hoping that it would be some more goofy red herring stuff like All-Ice, with Zero just bullshitting them about the puzzle, because literally having an alien technology time machine seemed like that was going too far. But once I saw what all kinds of amazing crazy poo poo Uchikoshi was gonna do with it, I totally stopped caring because it was great.

I think VLR Junpei is the only halfway sane character. Watching all this made me really miss Quark. :smith:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Jintor posted:

dang the phi from 1904 who stays behind after the transporter is used continues to be a researcher all the way up until 2004 and adopts herself when she arrives from 1904.

didn't realise that

the brooch doesn't appear to have any actual origin.

Wouldn't this make Grandma Phi 109? She'd be too old to take care of baby Phi.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

just finished the game. hoo boy. took about 18 hours. i liked it overall but I gotta say the first two games felt a lot more satisfying. I guess everyone has already said this but I gotta reiterate: where the frack is kyle!!! where is he?? is he the dog??

it felt like there werent very many puzzles compared to VLR, but also, the puzzles were rarely satisfying and often really annoying. rec room and transporter room being prime offenders. after a while my reaction to any puzzle room was jsut this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LMtRG4Mc54&t=462s

better cast than vlr though, although, im not really sure why eric was at the test site at all. also it ends on ANOTHER sequel hook???? *laugh track* jesus christ dude this game barely got made!!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wouldn't this make Grandma Phi 109? She'd be too old to take care of baby Phi.

Delta lived to be 124 and was still kicking and physically active.

I think Phi's good on that end.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Neopie posted:

Delta lived to be 124 and was still kicking and physically active.

I think Phi's good on that end.

Why are they able to live so long? Magic abilities like SHIFTing and Mindhacking?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i think one thing the game did really well was keep delta's existence as a team member a secret while providing foreshadowing at the same time. there were things I noticed that seemed odd or I just brushed off immediately and as soon as he was revealed I was really confused and felt extremely weirded out by what was going on, but then as I thought back to those odd moments I was like "oh....oh god!!!" reading the reddit thread full of all the moments his existence is foreshadow'd was overwhelming.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfOsjVT8mlU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why are they able to live so long? Magic abilities like SHIFTing and Mindhacking?

Delta is apparently still alive even by VLR's events. Uchikoshi's hinted it might be because he might have been displaced through time (...from the transporter or some poo poo?)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wow. Also, what happens to Eric and Mira, was Mira "cured" from her psychpathness? Or does she continue to be a serial killer?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

this is true art

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wow. Also, what happens to Eric and Mira, was Mira "cured" from her psychpathness? Or does she continue to be a serial killer?

idk if you missed them or not but you unlock some epilogue files after you clear the game. you should read them for a very limited amount of ~closure~

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

are we posting stupid (great) video edits now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUneNc_dnm4

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Van Dine posted:

I had been a little concerned about the game's Steam specs being higher than expected, and it turned out that although it mostly ran okay, there were some problems. Various things like the menu buttons in cinema mode did not load, and they just looked like blank white squares. It was mostly not a big deal, as although there were a handful of puzzles where necessary images didn't display, that could be dealt with easily by using a guide. The only thing which was truly murder was the dragon puzzle in the locker room, since have you tried doing an image matching rotating puzzle where you can't see the images?

Getting caught up on the thread now and just found this post from a while back. This sounds like the exact same glitches I had. How did you end up doing the dragon puzzle?

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Getting caught up on the thread now and just found this post from a while back. This sounds like the exact same glitches I had. How did you end up doing the dragon puzzle?

I accessed the morphogenetic field, of course. :science:

And the information I gained from it led me to do it the same way you did the rotating puzzle you had trouble with, by looking up someone's playthrough on Youtube and painstakingly pausing and restarting the video to copy the movements. I was so relieved that it actually worked (as, after all, while trying to copy the movements it's not as if I could have known if I'd messed it up until the last moment). I hadn't waited so many years for Zero Escape 3 only to be defeated by an invisible puzzle! But if there hadn't been any video walkthroughs, I would have been 100% out of luck and left to reflect on how life is simply unfair. Should I ever set up a nonary/decision game, I'll make sure to include an invisible pattern-matching puzzle.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The logs imply she goes to set right which once went wrong. It's kind of silly, in my opinion, considering she doesn't have any real motivation to do so.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

They don't really imply anything. Sean literally coolaid mans through the prison wall, grabs Mira and goes "we're going on an adventure to make you not crazy" and then they shift outy

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Slur posted:

The logs imply she goes to set right which once went wrong. It's kind of silly, in my opinion, considering she doesn't have any real motivation to do so.

Delta showed her the power of love and friendship and she finally understood emotions

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If there ends up being a Zero Escape 4, I can guarantee the timeline Sean and Mira create by faxing to the past and dunking child-Mira will come into play.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Danaru posted:

If there ends up being a Zero Escape 4, I can guarantee the timeline Sean and Mira create by faxing to the past and dunking child-Mira will come into play.

Knowing what Uchikoshi does, yeah probably, I still kind of doubt it though since continuing on that path would mess up the central events/characters of the series to be different. And plus its not like he's dropped plot threads before (K, ?)

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

Magnus Condomus posted:

They don't really imply anything. Sean literally coolaid mans through the prison wall, grabs Mira and goes "we're going on an adventure to make you not crazy" and then they shift outy

Am I the only one who wonders what kind of world these characters live in where in a prison they let through Sean? I mean surely a prison guard would take one look at his Robo head and think "Maybe I shouldn't let him in?"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Serenity Dove posted:

Am I the only one who wonders what kind of world these characters live in where in a prison they let through Sean? I mean surely a prison guard would take one look at his Robo head and think "Maybe I shouldn't let him in?"

"literally coolaid mans"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Eric and Sean were in visitation before he Koolaided though, that came afterwards

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Luna Was Here posted:

this is true art

Agreed, which begs the question of why it's not in the OP.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Something that kinda stuck out at me. From 999, you get the feeling that Junpei and Akane lived in Japan. However, Akane's father was the one falsely accused of Eric's mom's murder by Mira's hand, insinuating that Akane's family lived in America. It makes me wonder if somewhere along the line, Junpei and Akane were retconned from being Japanese into being Japanese-American when the series built a more western appeal and fanbase.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He could have just been visiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The one thing I do appreciate that was mentioned in a q and a/interview was that because it's all the same ward, Gab actually had a small room in the vent with a bed for him to lay on.

• Locked thread