Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

A couple newbie Khador questions:
1. Is it still worth it to pick up Aiyana and Holt? I know it needs Valachev which makes 12 points for the unit which seems like a lot.
2. When/how do you use ternions or koldun lords? They seem neat but I don't see them in many lists.
3. Any other suggestions for a journeyman league knowing nothing of possible opponents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan
Jan 14, 2013

CampingCarl posted:

1. Is it still worth it to pick up Aiyana and Holt? I know it needs Valachev which makes 12 points for the unit which seems like a lot.
2. When/how do you use ternions or koldun lords? They seem neat but I don't see them in many lists.
3. Any other suggestions for a journeyman league knowing nothing of possible opponents?

1. Probably not. Khador seldom lacks for armor cracking, and it remains to be seen if Magical Weapons are worth 12pts, but... probably not.

2. If infantry becomes a thing, they'll be back. Until then...

3. Like things to buy? Ways to spend points? Or tactics?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

w00tmonger posted:

KR multicase. They're super cheap of you just buy the cardboard and are really high quality of you just want to store poo poo.

Worth the money given how custom they are over trying to find something that just manages to work.

Yeah I got a card pack a month ago and highly recommend it as well. Way lighter and easier to transport than, my old Sabol case.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Game Plus is good low cost for foam. KR is the best cost to quality though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Yeah I got a card pack a month ago and highly recommend it as well. Way lighter and easier to transport than, my old Sabol case.

How many pieces of standard sized pluck foam fit in a cardboard case

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

susan posted:

3. Like things to buy? Ways to spend points? Or tactics?
Suggestions on what to buy I guess. I have one of each battlegroup, old and new, and the khador part of the 2 player battlebox. I'm thinking of adding some rifle corp giving me something like this but I don't know what else I need to fill out a 75pt journeyman list.

Khador Army - 53 / 75 points
(Kozlov 1) Lord Kozlov, Viscount of Scarsgrad [+28]
- Decimator [16]
- Juggernaut [12]
- Juggernaut [12]
- Juggernaut [12]
Man-O-War Shocktroopers (max) [16]
Winter Guard Rifle Corps (max) [13]

I have the 2 destroyers but I already have 4 jacks and that might be too much. Maybe Iron fangs?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Looking for some feedback. Trying to come up with a good list with strakhov for a team event.
Thinking it would be a good troll/everblight drop, or at least a good drop against anything with a bunch of tough. The other list will likely be eirusk with doomreavers and rifle corps.

Kommander Oleg Strakhov - WJ: +28
- War Dog - PC: 3
- Torch - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 18)
- Behemoth - PC: 24 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
- Juggernaut - PC: 12

Widowmaker Marksman - PC: 4
Man-O-War Drakhun - PC: 9
Ragman - PC: 4

Assault Kommandos - Leader & 5 Grunts: 10
- Assault Kommando Flame Thrower - PC: 2
Battle Mechaniks - Leader & 3 Grunts: 3
Kayazy Eliminators - Leader & Grunt: 5
Kayazy Eliminators - Leader & Grunt: 5

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

CampingCarl posted:

Suggestions on what to buy I guess. I have one of each battlegroup, old and new, and the khador part of the 2 player battlebox. I'm thinking of adding some rifle corp giving me something like this but I don't know what else I need to fill out a 75pt journeyman list.

Khador Army - 53 / 75 points
(Kozlov 1) Lord Kozlov, Viscount of Scarsgrad [+28]
- Decimator [16]
- Juggernaut [12]
- Juggernaut [12]
- Juggernaut [12]
Man-O-War Shocktroopers (max) [16]
Winter Guard Rifle Corps (max) [13]

I have the 2 destroyers but I already have 4 jacks and that might be too much. Maybe Iron fangs?

I'd drop a jugg, take a destroyer. Then I'd grab up the MoW kovnik, and marshall the destroyer to it. This gives you the option of aiming with it and getting +2 to damage rolls (pow 9 aoe 4 blast is pretty dang good), or assaulting with it. It won't get steady and pathfinder from kozlov, but it still gets affected by the feat. The kovnik also speeds up your shocktroopers which is really, really good.

Add kovnik joe for boosted attack rolls on the rifle corps, and then with the last 9 points add something good like fenris, the great bears, or a drakhun. Or you could grab a war dog and spend 6 on a merc like eyriss or dannon blythe/bull.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

whats the best way to store my foam trays full of stupid plastic monsters? i was going to use a comic book shortbox but i forgot how tight they are (like, the trays fit perfectly but there's no room on the sides to get out a tray at the bottom)

i dont need anything fancy, like a multicase is too much, but i would like to be able to a) store my poo poo and b) bring it with me to the store to play dumb plastic armymans

Also take a look at Feldherr. The cardboard boxes are pretty cheap with foam (and you can get certain configurations on Amazon Prime) although a bit too light for serious transport use. They also offer bags that you can fit those trays into for carrying. They can be kind of awkward sizing for lots of 40mm or bigger 30mm guys, though.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

How many pieces of standard sized pluck foam fit in a cardboard case

There are a lot of combinations of foam that you can get. In the photo above are J2H x2, F4H x2, N4H x2, the 2nd N4H is at the bottom of the box and not shown but is also filled with 2 units. Generally speaking there is enough space for 3-4 lists depending on list composition.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 21, 2016

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

CampingCarl posted:

I can answer these, but bear in mind I'm not really a typical Khador player in that I love their abundance of wizards rather than the biggest robots.

Aiyana and Holt are still pretty good, just not auto-includes like they used to be. With Zerkova 2 they can make the impossible possible, which I'll get to later.

I run three units of Ternions and one Koldun Lord regularly, again with Zerkova 2. It turns out that making enemy warjacks stationary and knocking them down with your own warjacks removes a lot of the advantage gained from power up! Additionally, now that all Greylord models except Karchev have Immunity: Cold you can fire freely if your army is mostly Greylords. I have in the past used them with A&H to take enemy heavies from full boxes to zero with just their sprays.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

whats the best way to store my foam trays full of stupid plastic monsters? i was going to use a comic book shortbox but i forgot how tight they are (like, the trays fit perfectly but there's no room on the sides to get out a tray at the bottom)

i dont need anything fancy, like a multicase is too much, but i would like to be able to a) store my poo poo and b) bring it with me to the store to play dumb plastic armymans

http://www.officedepot.com/mb/a/products/987304/Office-Depot-Brand-Mobile-Folding-Cart

Those fit two stacks of Sabol foam side by side, have wheels, and are durable as gently caress.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

http://www.officedepot.com/mb/a/products/987304/Office-Depot-Brand-Mobile-Folding-Cart

Those fit two stacks of Sabol foam side by side, have wheels, and are durable as gently caress.

In terms of durability this would hands down win.

I went with a KR card case; so I can toss my army in my messenger bag and take them to work with me. Though I'm a dirty hipster who rides public transit.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
You can also save your bux and go with a lovely tacklebox, some steel shim, and just crap magnets onto the bottom of your dudes.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I used to see people recommend hand gun and rifle cases for cheap foam cases. I just want to say: Don't do this!

That is what you use if you want people to break into your car and steal your mans.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

We used to use metal toolboxes and glue magnet sheet to the bottoms of our 40K minis back in high school. More than one person we know had their car broken into and their toolbox taken. Tools are expensive too.

And drat that thing was heavy when full of old metal minis and mine only has they one top tray. One of my friends still uses one of those two drawer toolboxes for his WMH.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

dexefiend posted:

I used to see people recommend hand gun and rifle cases for cheap foam cases. I just want to say: Don't do this!

That is what you use if you want people to break into your car and steal your mans.

I used to do this. My car was never broken into.

I stopped because the foam in those cases were warping my models.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

What's a good list two caster if your list one is Helynna? I've always been partial to Rahn and Ossyan but I don't know how they look in the MK3 environment.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

theironjef posted:

What's a good list two caster if your list one is Helynna? I've always been partial to Rahn and Ossyan but I don't know how they look in the MK3 environment.

Ossyan is stupid good, because they have him Deadeye.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

On the topic of Ossyan, how are those Vyre Electromancers? I like the look of their cool focus limiting attack but I'm always leery of buying small groups of fragile dudes.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
Every time I think about buying KR stuff, I realize that I want 3 things from a foam case ideally.

A. High Quality
B. Good Price
C. Painless shopping experience

Unfortunately KR really only delivers on one of those. I could deal with a high price if their site wasn't a shitstorm of bad design.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

jubelio posted:

Every time I think about buying KR stuff, I realize that I want 3 things from a foam case ideally.

A. High Quality
B. Good Price

Unfortunately KR really only delivers on one of those. I could deal with a high price if their site wasn't a shitstorm of bad design.

For C you just contact them directly via email and tell them what you have. They'll tell you exactly what you need.

This is what my friend did with his Menoth army when he hit the brick wall that is their website's interface. It worked out really well for him.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

jubelio posted:

A. High Quality
B. Good Price

Reaaaally not all that expensive. There website is poop though and I recommend googling something like "what KR foam to get for khador". Most of the issue for me was how many cases to get, but again, Google is basically your friend here.

They would frankly dominate if they got an intern to make them a new website...

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

It looks like they've made some improvements to their site since my last visit not too long ago.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

KPC_Mammon posted:

For C you just contact them directly via email and tell them what you have. They'll tell you exactly what you need.

This is what my friend did with his Menoth army when he hit the brick wall that is their website's interface. It worked out really well for him.

Yeah, I did the same thing and they were really helpful (albeit somehow convinced that their custom case thing was a useful thing).

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

w00tmonger posted:

Reaaaally not all that expensive. There website is poop though and I recommend googling something like "what KR foam to get for khador". Most of the issue for me was how many cases to get, but again, Google is basically your friend here.

This works really well when you have 30 models, or in 40k terms, when you're dealing with armies that are (20x marines, 3x rhinos, 3 bikers, 6 terminators). When you're looking at more models than that they get really goofy about halftrays and fulltrays and how many boxes you need to carry them all.

I will say about Battlefoam that their licensed stuff is fantastic for foaming warmahordes models. Most weird/spindly units and heavy warjacks/beasts have custom cut foam trays, they have small/medium infantry trays and they fit in one of 3 size bags. When I make lists for, say, Lock'n'Load, I take out the trays that have the models I need, stack them up and just go. I don't have to swap models around or worry about the one guy with the arm pointing out that's different breaking because chances are he's in custom cut sections or in an appropriately oversized pocket that I've made his permanent foam home.

I *really* want to like KR. I know they're the darlings of this sub. I haven't been back to their site in the last few days to see how it comes together now, but between the old lovely website design and the, frankly, confusing options they gave me to foam up my models when I asked, (multiple times between my 40k models, as well as my Khador -back when I owned 1/3 of the models I now own), I just went with the one that didn't have me convulsing in frustration trying to figure out and navigate to get what I wanted from them.

The battlefoam owner guy may be a raging rear end in a top hat who shouldn't be supported, but for gently caress's sake he makes it so much easier to get what I need. One time I even had to call them to ask about something they didn't have listed and they told me they'd custom cut it for me for $2 more.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

koreban posted:

I *really* want to like KR. I know they're the darlings of this sub. I haven't been back to their site in the last few days to see how it comes together now, but between the old lovely website design and the, frankly, confusing options they gave me to foam up my models when I asked, (multiple times between my 40k models, as well as my Khador -back when I owned 1/3 of the models I now own), I just went with the one that didn't have me convulsing in frustration trying to figure out and navigate to get what I wanted from them.

The battlefoam owner guy may be a raging rear end in a top hat who shouldn't be supported, but for gently caress's sake he makes it so much easier to get what I need. One time I even had to call them to ask about something they didn't have listed and they told me they'd custom cut it for me for $2 more.

This is how I feel. I got my battlefoam bag when they first released their WarMachine bag, before they did their Hordes branded bag. It was super simple to order and has served me well for years. I've also got their Malifaux bag for my skirmish game problem.

I'm at the point where I need more storage. I don't really want to give battlefoam more money but tray sizes aren't the same. I kind of feel like I'm locked in.

I might order some KR stuff for my Mercs so I can use my P3 expansion bag for more Skorne. But I'll probably need more Battlefoam trays for Skorne options anyway.

At this point I'm looking at dollars I'll have to spend. I don't currently want enough Mercs to fill up my Battlefoam bag. Plus I already bought some Skorne custom trays.

If I foam my Mercs in KR then I'll need a new bag. If I just get more Battlefoam, then I can stick whatever in the bag I already have. I don't usually want to transport both at the same time.

I need more foam eventually regardless. Right now I can fit everything I might want to bring with a little shuffling. The only thing that I have assembled and painted that I can't fit is my Archidon but gently caress him. I still want the option though.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

That's my shelf for my Khador models. I've got about 30" of vertical height of foam for all of my stuff. I have another shelf that has my other factions (Ret, Skorne, Mercs, Menoth, Pirates), all of them in similar foam. No matter what I want to play, I can walk over, pull out the PP Bag, grab the trays I want and I'm good to go. I even have one of the half-sized tournament bags with Foam that I use for my Dropzone Commander models.

I also know exactly how close I am to needing to order more small infantry trays or another generic heavy jack tray, or a Gun Carriage tray for when I pick that up. I won't have to worry about calling KR or navigating their moonspeak webpage.

As a fallback, when you have a small amount of models and want something tight and concise, I love Feldherr. Bonus: you can get a good amount of Feldherr stuff on Amazon Prime for 2 day delivery.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Alright, Journeyman question time.

There are currently two of us playing Ret in my league. In an effort to keep from playing the exact same list at the next points increment (15pts b/c our PG is smart) I came up with the following 3 lists of stuff I could take next week to ensure I don't end up exactly the same as the other guy:

* Gorgon & Aspis
* Sphinx (+ an extra arcanist next week)
* Hydra

Now, I know GEMorris is going to say how dumb the gorgon is, but considering the scenario you play in weeks 3 & 4 of the journeyman league, it seems like slowing people down and pushing them out of the zone might be useful. Plus, Helynna seems to work well with pushes and forced movement, given that you can do it a lot with her. Any thought on this?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

rkajdi posted:

Alright, Journeyman question time.

There are currently two of us playing Ret in my league. In an effort to keep from playing the exact same list at the next points increment (15pts b/c our PG is smart) I came up with the following 3 lists of stuff I could take next week to ensure I don't end up exactly the same as the other guy:

* Gorgon & Aspis
* Sphinx (+ an extra arcanist next week)
* Hydra

Now, I know GEMorris is going to say how dumb the gorgon is, but considering the scenario you play in weeks 3 & 4 of the journeyman league, it seems like slowing people down and pushing them out of the zone might be useful. Plus, Helynna seems to work well with pushes and forced movement, given that you can do it a lot with her. Any thought on this?

While I'm not sure how often I'd use it in full games, I think a Gorgon could have real use in a JML if you have the model. While -SPD is not as powerful as it was in MK2, it can still be really useful in this format IMO. And an Aspis seems to be pretty useful in a JML with how many shooty jacks are on the board.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Khisanth Magus posted:

While I'm not sure how often I'd use it in full games, I think a Gorgon could have real use in a JML if you have the model. While -SPD is not as powerful as it was in MK2, it can still be really useful in this format IMO. And an Aspis seems to be pretty useful in a JML with how many shooty jacks are on the board.

Yeah, this is all stuff I already have. The good/bad thing about buying some old lots out is that with only 4 light jacks, you'll have quite a collection if light spam proves to be useful. I do know that during the 0pt period being able to tie up a Slayer with a griffon turned into a very profitable move, even if the end result was a dead griffon two turns later.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I ran the Gorgon/Aspis in my JML games and it's been great. I run it into things I don't want advancing or shoot the opponent's heavy and reposition myself just outside of their threat to throw them off for a turn.

No regrets.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Can people help me put together a CoC list? I bought KM's list of stuff and want to put together a 50 point list to throw down with some friends this weekend, and haven't played CoC yet. Here's what I've got ready:

quote:

Father Lucant
Syntherion
Iron Mother
Assimilator
Cipher
Legged Heavy
Corallary
Mitigator
Diffusor
Eradicators
Optifex Directive
Reciprocators
Reductors
Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex
Attunement Servitors
Attunement Servitors
Elimination Servitors
Elimination Servitors
Enigma Foundry
Reflex Servitors
Steelsoul Keg Protector
Prime Axiom

I'm thinking iMom or Synth because I want to run the Prime Axiom and they look like they'll handle it the best (+RNG from Iron Mother, boosted attack rolls from Syntherion) and I'll almost certainly have a Corollary, but past that I don't really have any idea what I'm doing with my robot folk.

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 22, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Magres posted:

Can people help me put together a CoC list? I bought KM's list of stuff and want to put together a 50 point list to throw down with some friends this weekend, and haven't played CoC yet. Here's what I've got ready:

I'm thinking iMom or Synth because I want to run the Prime Axiom and they look like they'll handle it the best (+RNG from Iron Mother, boosted attack rolls from Syntherion) and I'll almost certainly have a Corollary, but past that I don't really have any idea what I'm doing with my robot folk.

iMom was always my favorite CoC caster, so I say her just for that :p

I still remember when I borrowed a friend's PA and additional servitors to run a full 2x PA Carrier Group theme list in mk2. That was great.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Magres posted:

I recommend learning CoC with Synth. The autorepairs make him a bit more forgiving and Magnetic Hold is goddamn amazing.

What you'll want is meta dependent, but always bring the ADO with Synth. You should also always bring a corollary. "Almost certainly" is an understatement.

Synth is the best PA warcaster because of his feat. Between Magnetic Hold and a Diffuser it'll have 13" threat and the ability to make ranged attacks out of melee. Charge a marked target, make your first initial, and then drag in their Warcaster.

Assimilator can make 3 fully boosted POW 13s with hotshot and ground pound if your opponent bricks up, I like shuffling hotshot between it and PA every turn.

Cipher with hotshot can kill all the light infantry and laying down rough terrain can really ruin your opponents day if they didn't bring enough pathfinder. Depending on your meta it might not be worth the points.

I like the Monitor with him. With the new induction mechanics it can make a fully boosted shot every turn without draining focus. The 13" gun keeps him out of most enemy warjack Boundless Charge threat ranges and crits happen pretty often when you are boosting your attack rolls. Synergy makes it less pillowfisted, with sustained attack it ends up being pretty good at mauling high-def warbeasts. With Synth's feat you can threaten the enemy caster with a potential 4d6+13 nearly anywhere on the board. Lets you trigger a shield guard/transfer/chunk off some health before initiating the PA drag.

Bring a shield guard to protect Synth and the corollary from gunlines.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Synth it is! Sorry KM :cheeky:

That's crazy that Magnetic Hold and Diffuser stack for +4" on (free) charges.

Induction questions - the range on induction is 6", right? Is there any good way to charge a melee heavy in (more than 6") and be able to pass its focus off to another Heavy, or do I have to just bite the bullet and accept that I will, at some point, need to actually spend some focus on fueling my robots?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Magres posted:

Synth it is! Sorry KM :cheeky:

That's crazy that Magnetic Hold and Diffuser stack for +4" on (free) charges.

Induction questions - the range on induction is 6", right? Is there any good way to charge a melee heavy in (more than 6") and be able to pass its focus off to another Heavy, or do I have to just bite the bullet and accept that I will, at some point, need to actually spend some focus on fueling my robots?

Typically you induct when ypu pay the focus to charge, on free charges you'll have to actually spend it. (syntherion has plenty of focus to allocate)

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
gently caress Ret imo

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

fnordcircle posted:

gently caress Ret imo

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Actually i won my only game v ret. Killing 7 invictors turn 2 with shooting was easy peasy