Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm sure this has been asked before but its hard to find a good guide for every minor question;

-Does your level influence the CP of egg pokemon? If so, would it be smart to sit on my 5km eggs until I'm a higher level? My personal goal is to make the buffest porygon possible.
-Is there literally any way to figure out how close a pokemon on the radar is to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before but its hard to find a good guide for every minor question;

-Does your level influence the CP of egg pokemon? If so, would it be smart to sit on my 5km eggs until I'm a higher level? My personal goal is to make the buffest porygon possible.
-Is there literally any way to figure out how close a pokemon on the radar is to you?

In order:
1) Probably? It's certainly the case for wild pokemon, so I see no reason why it shouldn't be so for eggs.

2) Cheating. Seriously, the whole flare up over python (fyi, I use other programming languages for work and have no desire to install more things just for cheating at a f2p mobile game, it's not that it's especially complex) over the last few pages is because there's various programs that pluck the pokemon data from niantic and just give them to you straight up. The 3 step bug (which might be an intentional attempt to lessen server strain) is an unfortunate reality.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Internet Kraken posted:

-Does your level influence the CP of egg pokemon? If so, would it be smart to sit on my 5km eggs until I'm a higher level?

Pokemon in eggs are generated when you get the egg, not when it hatches, so the pokemon will match the level you were when you got the egg. No need to hoard, just hatch every drat egg.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Zorblack posted:

You don't need to apologize to anyone who cannot or will not bother to learn Python.

You never need to apologize to people like that.

Being too tech-phobic to learn python is like saying you can't learn to drive because Jesus Christ it's got two different pedals and there are all these signs everywhere my god it's madness.
:goonsay:

quote:

Make a github account, clone the project, get your own javascript maps API key, and edit it in to static/index.html, then deploy it to a heroku instance.

I'm just saying ^^^that was stated so matter-of-fact, that it seemed like it was assumed it was common knowledge.

It has nothing to do with being tech phobic. Someone is explaining how to do a thing I don't understand, in terms I don't understand. But sure, teaching yourself a programming language and basically compiling your own program is just as easy as driving a car. :jerkbag:

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 21, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Like a hundred people a day die in automobile crashes in the United States alone. Just because you're used to doing something or it's a vital skill that almost everyone learns at some point doesn't mean it's trivial.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

How many people die trying to hack phone games in python?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Lol car analogies, at least make it work, ya know? Learning python is nothing like learning to drive, as everyone is at least familiar with the concepts of driving. It's much more like learning to maintain the engine YouTube tutorials. It's totally possible for someone to sit there and work out how to replace a gearbox but there are so many variables in experience that determine how likely a person is to be successful at it, regardless of their 'potential' as a mechanic.

Don't be so loving patronising.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are we still talking about car crashes while playing Pokemon Go in here?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Programming in Python is like driving while playing Pokemon Go. It's not that hard for me but some people just aren't cut out for it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

jiggerypokery posted:

Lol car analogies, at least make it work, ya know? Learning python is nothing like learning to drive, as everyone is at least familiar with the concepts of driving. It's much more like learning to maintain the engine YouTube tutorials. It's totally possible for someone to sit there and work out how to replace a gearbox but there are so many variables in experience that determine how likely a person is to be successful at it, regardless of their 'potential' as a mechanic.

Don't be so loving patronising.

It's also like cooking a fancy restaurant quality meal or something. Everybody eats and prepares basic meals but making something complex or really good is a step above.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

SynthOrange posted:

god I loving wish

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Wandle Cax posted:

It's also like cooking a fancy restaurant quality meal or something. Everybody eats and prepares basic meals but making something complex or really good is a step above.

:ramsay:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I know Python, but I am too lazy to create a Pokemon account to start these python tools to map your city (when I tried, the new account creation form was closed). Getting trough the dependencies is just annoying ( Oh, you have two pythons in your system? what about flask, Pip, WHAT ABOUT FLASK?? brew that thing, no!!, you Brew that thing!, you should have use the builtin one, you drat python casual! , le requirements.txt boi! ).

I am not even sure using these scripts are a good thing. Sure, you improve your probability of finding rare pokemons, but you also hammer the servers so your bot exploring count as hundreds of users (a single guy generating the server traffic 300 guys). Probably is better to enter some local Pokemon Go community and find rare pokes with the tried and proven method of asking other human beings and making new friends...

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I agree, this game is terrible. The only redeeming 'feature' is the social phenomenon aspect and writing/using a bunch of toolage to make your in-app numbers go up will completely ruin your experience. Gotta ask yourself, what are you competing for anyway?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

SynthOrange posted:

A slow motion car crash of a conversational detour away from car crashing relating to Pokémon Go feels appropriate. Or dumb. Yes.

I am destined to catch highly evolved CP 28 monsters forever.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So while I'm enjoying myself I've got to agree with the guy from Nornire that the gym system is kinda silly.

We've got a gym just outside the house. My girlfriend has had her snorlax on it for a good two days now. That's the longest any gym has stood in the town I live in (Stockport) because there's just too much footfall. It's sort of crazy that you can get your entire team against a gym because even very powerful pokemon, stuff that's like 800-1400 I can beat with a bit of attrition.

My annoyance with it going down is stuff like if I'm going on an 8km walk today it's frustrating to not be able to use that on my game when I'm not going to be able to do it any other day that week. It's not a big deal or anything, it's just like when it happens in a MMOG or something. If the one day you can play is the one day it isn't working it's sort of crap.

The biggest thing that confuses me about the game is that you get the most pokemon in urban areas. I went on a walk between Stockport and Manchester a few days ago. It's roughly 10km. In that time I caught 8 pokemon and they were all duplicates. Meanwhile I walked through stockport for about 15 minutes and caught 4 new pokemon. I walked through a large country park and got literally nothing as well. I get the reasons but it feels wrong, surely parks and stuff should be packed with the things!
I guess I expected the app to encourage me to explore rather than stay around in the same area.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
When you guys mention Pidgey farming, do you mean keeping them? So far I've transfered them all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah stash a whole pile of them, then when you've got a whole bunch, evolve all of them at once after popping a Lucky Egg. Same goes for any other 12 candy evolution pokemon like weedles.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah stash a whole pile of them, then when you've got a whole bunch, evolve all of them at once after popping a Lucky Egg. Same goes for any other 12 candy evolution pokemon like weedles.

Noted!

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
You can also use http://pidgeycalc.com to quickly figure out how many Pidgeys/candies are needed and how much XP you'd get with the lucky egg, as well as the approximate time it would take to evolve everything.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

IncendiaC posted:

You can also use http://pidgeycalc.com to quickly figure out how many Pidgeys/candies are needed and how much XP you'd get with the lucky egg, as well as the approximate time it would take to evolve everything.

The thing is, since levelling doesn't do a lot it feels like all you're doing with that is making the game harder for yourself.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

IncendiaC posted:

FYI, pidgeycalc says you can evolve 60 in 30 minutes, I was able to eke out 70 last night and that's with one app restart (wifi issues I think). Won't affect many people, but that's just my experience!

I had 23 more ready to evolve but hadn't yet because I wanted to test the limits :psyduck:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Pidgeys calc is counting extra time for you turning in your new pidgeotto for more candy. If you have enough already you can go faster.

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006

Taear posted:

The thing is, since levelling doesn't do a lot it feels like all you're doing with that is making the game harder for yourself.

Yeah, given that it takes 500,000 xp to go from 29->30, I am going to try and enjoy my teens as much as possible before the grind gets real. No need to induce it early.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I just catch everything for fun, then evolve everything at once to see the bars fill and numbers go up

I wish lucky eggs didn't exist in-game

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

An epic battle happened on my morning walk.

Splashing to the top of the mountain gym

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
US politicians asking the important questions:

https://democrats-energycommerce.ho....2016.07.19.pdf

Pity they didn't ask them about the servers being down all the time too.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

It has nothing to do with being tech phobic. Someone is explaining how to do a thing I don't understand, in terms I don't understand. But sure, teaching yourself a programming language and basically compiling your own program is just as easy as driving a car. :jerkbag:

Sorry I read this as "someone is making me Google things :qq:". not sorry

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
What the gently caress's a Heracross instance?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GeneX posted:

I just catch everything for fun, then evolve everything at once to see the bars fill and numbers go up

I wish lucky eggs didn't exist in-game

That's just what I do too. Level just seems like a way for the top levelled people to always control every gym!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

:goonsay:

I'm just saying ^^^that was stated so matter-of-fact, that it seemed like it was assumed it was common knowledge.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Like a hundred people a day die in automobile crashes in the United States alone. Just because you're used to doing something or it's a vital skill that almost everyone learns at some point doesn't mean it's trivial.
Yeah, I stand by my post. If you're saying learning Python is way, way harder than learning to drive then you never tried to learn Python because it is not that complex. Like people are talking about compiling and stuff and in Python it handles all that for you.

I'm not saying everyone can or should be a professional Python programmer. Not everyone who learns to drive learns to shift a manual transmission and gets their CDL or becomes a professional race car driver. But a basic competency at driving is a valuable life skill. And a basic competency at coding is a valuable life skill. And Python is a good path to getting a basic competency at coding.

If you have a hate-on for Python then pick another language. Put the Swift Playgrounds on an iPad or something. You might even enjoy it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Is there any way to tell how many CP a Poke will gain on evolution? I'm sitting on a 500 Wartortle but I don't know if it's worth hoarding candy for it if it'll only go up to 600 when I could be evolving Squirtles instead.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Rastor posted:

Yeah, I stand by my post. If you're saying learning Python is way, way harder than learning to drive then you never tried to learn Python because it is not that complex. Like people are talking about compiling and stuff and in Python it handles all that for you.

I'm not saying everyone can or should be a professional Python programmer. Not everyone who learns to drive learns to shift a manual transmission and gets their CDL or becomes a professional race car driver. But a basic competency at driving is a valuable life skill. And a basic competency at coding is a valuable life skill. And Python is a good path to getting a basic competency at coding.

If you have a hate-on for Python then pick another language. Put the Swift Playgrounds on an iPad or something. You might even enjoy it.
fly away, nerd

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Germstore posted:

You headbutt your computer until it starts working

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Germstore posted:

After the technological rapture, each human will be followed by a legion of thinking machine minds. These thinking machines will do a serie of task for them, sometimes involving warring opposing factions in the Nun-reality.

I think a herocross instance is just a virtual superfortress where you have units of labor doing something for you.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Julio Cruz posted:

Is there any way to tell how many CP a Poke will gain on evolution? I'm sitting on a 500 Wartortle but I don't know if it's worth hoarding candy for it if it'll only go up to 600 when I could be evolving Squirtles instead.

http://pogotoolkit.com/

Good news: it won't be 600
Bad news: it will be 700

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Hey guys, we got a cool discord for people to chat about how they are gonna die while pogoing and driving! (hint: its always yellow team)

https://discord.gg/GvATQd6

We also have a channel where all the spergs have compiled data related to this unclear game and city specific channels for you to find a goon near you!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Rastor posted:

Legit curious, how is basic python (or coding, I guess) a "valuable life skill"? Like I'm not even joking. It's come up here in regards to cheating at pokemon and is also applicable to my real life in the following ways: _____ ? :confused:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The only python in my life is Ekans.

Edit:

He meant to type "due".

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Clocks posted:

Legit curious, how is basic python (or coding, I guess) a "valuable life skill"? Like I'm not even joking. It's come up here in regards to cheating at pokemon and is also applicable to my real life in the following ways: _____ ? :confused:

having multiple skills, especially ones relating to computing, is valuable to your person in these days with an over saturated job market in most fields. It also shows you have the ability to learn things outside your chosen field, and an ability to learn looks good.

Mostly be a well rounded person rather than focusing on one narrow thing

• Locked thread