Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Phanatic posted:

They have to. Congressional mandate. Navy wanted to wait and use the second one off the line, they were overruled and ordered to carry the test out on the Ford.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/breaking-news/2015/08/11/pentagon-directs-shock-tests-carrier-ford/31479077/

Here's the one they did on the Teddy Roosevelt:

I've posted the one I was tangentially involved in before (They fired this one off a week before I started working for this particular department of NAVSEA, so I got to process data for it. Some of my cow orkers were in the trailers on the fantail, others were in the thirty-eight boat towing the charge.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qiZK_ZIjB4

My dad spent most of his career in that group, and rode the TR shot, who the hell are you :tinfoil:

e: Have a video of what happens inside the ship when they light the bomb off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogmVzCqkTAI

TasogareNoKagi fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In case someone here is holding their breath and waiting for me to make the obvious joke, please contact to Guinness WR before you expire.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

TasogareNoKagi posted:

My dad spent most of his career in that group, and rode the TR shot, who the hell are you :tinfoil:

e: Have a video of what happens inside the ship when they light the bomb off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogmVzCqkTAI

That video owns, all these middle aged dudes standing there holding for their lives.

I get why they do it but there's something really funny to me about spending billions of dollars on a fancy new ship and getting everything meticulously painted and sealed and you get all the manuals on the shelves and the computers set up just so and then BOOM and everything just falls on the floor.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

Calling cellphones "Handy" is creative and fun :(
yeah but the only language in german now, is german.
sentences are one or two lines tops.
everyone spells their own name the same way every time.
:nallears:

edit: also it's probably kind of bad manners now for whoever heads their army to write to a friend of his, "Well, we're going to give [the enemy] one behind the ear"

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 20, 2016

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Any reccomendations for the drug wars in Colombia during the 80/90's?

I got Killing Pablo but want something about his rise, and something more extensive in scope as well....

E: while im at it, something on Grant, Sherman or TE Lawrence would be nice too

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

bewbies posted:

That video owns, all these middle aged dudes standing there holding for their lives.

I get why they do it but there's something really funny to me about spending billions of dollars on a fancy new ship and getting everything meticulously painted and sealed and you get all the manuals on the shelves and the computers set up just so and then BOOM and everything just falls on the floor.

Similarly I get why it's there and important but all that cool ship stuff going by and then just a toilet floating through at 7 seconds is priceless.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

I got Killing Pablo but want something about his rise, and something more extensive in scope as well....

I dunno if this is what you're looking for but I just got Narconomics (haven't finished it yet). It is really highly regarded at least and it looks really neat.

https://www.amazon.com/Narconomics-How-Run-Drug-Cartel/dp/1610395832

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Read Grant's memoirs, they're great.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

xthetenth posted:

Similarly I get why it's there and important but all that cool ship stuff going by and then just a toilet floating through at 7 seconds is priceless.

Important thing to learn really, I bet battles have been lost on not having a sturdy enough shitter. if someone educated wants to talk on the importance of hygiene on the battlefield that would be cool

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
aha
haha
ahah

aaaaaaaaaaaa

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

P-Mack posted:

Read Grant's memoirs, they're great.

Sherman's too. Even better is they're like 99¢ on Kindle too and it's a nice edition that's been proofread and everything.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

DesperateDan posted:

]if someone educated wants to talk on the importance of hygiene on the battlefield that would be cool

What the gently caress is tha *dies of typhus*

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

Important thing to learn really, I bet battles have been lost on not having a sturdy enough shitter.

U-1206, you're welcome.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

DesperateDan posted:

if someone educated wants to talk on the importance of hygiene on the battlefield that would be cool

Here are some hygiene tips from the Hundred Years War:

1) Are you having digestive issues before a battle? You can just pull down your hose around your ankles so you can poo poo while shooting French people with arrows.

2) Is your water going bad? Have no fear, simply find a wine-producing village and steal their wine. Also steal all of their food and any stuff they have that you like.

3) Are you camping out in front of a town that won't surrender and dying in droves from dysentery? Channel all of your rage at the cruelty of God into sacking the town after you take it. It won't bring any of your diseased friends back to life, but you will feel slightly better about the situation because you will be drunk.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Waroduce posted:

I got Killing Pablo but want something about his rise, and something more extensive in scope

"Kings of Cocaine" is an older one, that was pretty good.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So in a change of Plans I'll be in the wizard's own city of Prague instead of Paris next week. Of course I know I should visit the The Army Museum Žižkov, Aviation Museum Kbely and Military Technical Museum Lešany. But what else should I considering seeing for MilHist/in general?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
you can see anything you want except the library, which--funny story!--is in stockholm

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

you can see anything you want except the library, which--funny story!--is in stockholm

Where can I find Pike Square though!?? :confused:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

HEY GAL posted:

Queen Christina really likes books, ok. Also, I have the impression that stealing all the books in the library to bring home to the queen is one of the least destructive things an army in a city could be doing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

blackmongoose posted:

Queen Christina really likes books, ok. Also, I have the impression that stealing all the books in the library to bring home to the queen is one of the least destructive things an army in a city could be doing.
also not the only time she did that/had it done

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Xerxes17 posted:

Where can I find Pike Square though!?? :confused:

Unfortunately, that is in Washington.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

Unfortunately, that is in Washington.

That's probably to do with the fish and not the best way of war :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So it's been debunked in this thread that medieval and Early Modern people drank alcohol 24/7 because water was so poisonous from making GBS threads in all the drinking water that it would be downright lethal. Exactly how often was alcohol drank compared to plain water in these time periods? Like for HEY GAL's Germans, about how much plain water would they drink compared to wine and beer? Not including watering down drinks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DesperateDan posted:

Important thing to learn really, I bet battles have been lost on not having a sturdy enough shitter. if someone educated wants to talk on the importance of hygiene on the battlefield that would be cool

I'm not that educated but I think that for most of history more soldiers in active wars died of disease than in battle

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elyv posted:

I'm not that educated but I think that for most of history more soldiers in active wars died of disease than in battle

I think that is true all the way through WWI even. If I remember correctly WWII was the first where battle casualties exceeded medical ones.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Waroduce posted:

Actually, is there anything about Colombia in the 90's/00's?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Waroduce posted:

Not a book, and obviously a dramatization, but Narcos on Netflix is a fun watch. It was pretty popular when I interned at the DEA this spring, at least :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not a book, and obviously a dramatization, but Narcos on Netflix is a fun watch. It was pretty popular when I interned at the DEA this spring, at least :v:

That show was awesome, and I'm curious to know if anyone can speak to how historically accurate it actually was? I mean, even the broad strokes are kind of incredible, so it feels like a story that almost doesn't need artistic liberties, but then again everything I know about Pablo Escobar I know from Narcos (please don't spoil whether pablo dies) so I'm curious how much the real story matches up.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm not an authority at all on this but after watching Narcos I read some on Escobar thinking "this poo poo can't possibly be true" and yet pretty much everything I saw in the show was, or at least close to it.

Like a drug dealer was one of the wealthiest people on earth. This happened in my lifetime.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ainsley McTree posted:

That show was awesome, and I'm curious to know if anyone can speak to how historically accurate it actually was? I mean, even the broad strokes are kind of incredible, so it feels like a story that almost doesn't need artistic liberties, but then again everything I know about Pablo Escobar I know from Narcos (please don't spoil whether pablo dies) so I'm curious how much the real story matches up.

Spoiler alert the guy dies

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Spoiler alert the guy dies

Wow, I specifically said

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

I'm not an authority at all on this but after watching Narcos I read some on Escobar thinking "this poo poo can't possibly be true" and yet pretty much everything I saw in the show was, or at least close to it.

Like a drug dealer was one of the wealthiest people on earth. This happened in my lifetime.

I saw Narcos as well; I thought it was based on somebody's memoir?

Also, the show does a good job at showing how a drug kingpin could be so successful that he was literally undermining a national government.

I found Pablo Escobar a more sympathetic character than Walter White, and he blows up a goddamn airliner

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chitoryu12 posted:

So it's been debunked in this thread that medieval and Early Modern people drank alcohol 24/7 because water was so poisonous from making GBS threads in all the drinking water that it would be downright lethal. Exactly how often was alcohol drank compared to plain water in these time periods? Like for HEY GAL's Germans, about how much plain water would they drink compared to wine and beer? Not including watering down drinks.

They probably drank what we would consider unsafe amounts of "beer." This however was frequently closer to O'Doul's or Buckler than Guinness, and was generally seen as a good way to consume calories without having a full-on meal. At most it imparted a mild buzz after concerted drinking efforts. However, water was almost certainly the primary source of hydration for the average soldier.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
50 pages into that biography of Gallas, and according to this guy Matthias Gallas Did Only One Or Two Things Wrong, Maybe.

Montecuccoli respected him, Wallenstein relied on him a lot in addition to Holck and Pappenheim, loving Tilly is why he got promoted in the first place, and there's a bunch of historians who thought he was legit (when he was sober). Will keep you guys posted on the rest of the book, but so far this has been an exciting read.

Edit: Also, he and Aldringen knew each other since at least 1618, since Aldringen worked for Gallas's father, who was also a mercenary. I like reading about those two, bros4life.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 21, 2016

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I had this pet project a bit back where I tried to read a bunch of early BRD bestsellers and in Kirst's Die Wölfe it's a plot point how they give babies booze to calm them down a bit and the whole thing goes wrong when in one family mom and dad accidentally both booze up the baby and it dies. Village doctor covers it up because they're punished enough already. Really striking scene.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How drunk should you be when showing up to battle?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Lone Badger posted:

How drunk should you be when showing up to battle?
there's a sweet spot somewhere between Tilly and this dude:

that's Jacob Duwall, whose last name is the result of a German failure to spell/pronounce "MacDougall." I found an Obrist Lieutenant named Jobst MackenSehe in a Saxon roll once--prob Mackenzie.

edit: Actually it's a Swedish failure to pronounce MacDougall, the guy's father was an immigrant. https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Duwall

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 21, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

I had this pet project a bit back where I tried to read a bunch of early BRD bestsellers and in Kirst's Die Wölfe it's a plot point how they give babies booze to calm them down a bit and the whole thing goes wrong when in one family mom and dad accidentally both booze up the baby and it dies. Village doctor covers it up because they're punished enough already. Really striking scene.

Never mind that, they were doping babies up on cocaine and poo poo into the 20th century.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

They probably drank what we would consider unsafe amounts of "beer." This however was frequently closer to O'Doul's or Buckler than Guinness, and was generally seen as a good way to consume calories without having a full-on meal. At most it imparted a mild buzz after concerted drinking efforts. However, water was almost certainly the primary source of hydration for the average soldier.

Did they have any kind of water purification outside of turning the water into alcohol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

50 pages into that biography of Gallas, and according to this guy Matthias Gallas Did Only One Or Two Things Wrong, Maybe.

Let me guess, those two are getting drunk on the job once and never sobering up again.

• Locked thread