Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Kai Tave posted:

Otoh given that there will be an equal number of Hanzos on both teams I still consider this a win.

Realtalk, what do you do with Hanzo at this point? His kit feels just kinda there and even pre-patch I wasn't really sure what role he served, it feels like he needs more of an overhaul than just some numbers.

I think it would be super cool if Hanzo had a Guided Arrow skill where one press launches an arrow, and another redirects it toward a target point.

That would let him do a bunch of stuff that other characters can't, while fitting the character concept perfectly, and not being a dumb "free kill" button like Scatter Arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
This patch is great. McCree, Zen, and Ana are all extremely fun.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The best part of Ana is all the people on my team wailing "NOOO" when I instalock her in comp.

What do you goons think: Captain Amari skin for Ana who I'm not particularly good at but enjoy playing or Blackbeard skin for Torb who I feel like I'm p drat good at and also enjoy playing?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zorodius posted:

I think it would be super cool if Hanzo had a Guided Arrow skill where one press launches an arrow, and another redirects it toward a target point.

That would let him do a bunch of stuff that other characters can't, while fitting the character concept perfectly, and not being a dumb "free kill" button like Scatter Arrow.

Legitimately I think that would be kind of cool. Or even wrap it into scatter arrow and rework the physics of it so you can't instagib people with it but you can "guide" the splinters more in a specific direction to allow you to pull off corner shots or shots that ricochet around a Reinhardt shield or something more viable.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

My overwantch suggestion: give lucio soap shoes

Let Mei skate on the ice patch if she shoots the ground in front of her for a small speed boost.

Comedy option: Make others (opponents and teammates) slip on it randomly.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Verranicus posted:

The best part of Ana is all the people on my team wailing "NOOO" when I instalock her in comp.

What do you goons think: Captain Amari skin for Ana who I'm not particularly good at but enjoy playing or Blackbeard skin for Torb who I feel like I'm p drat good at and also enjoy playing?

I assume she still has old lady voice when using those younger skins, which seems kinda weird. Something to keep in mind before you blow 1000 currency on it.

250 currency Vanu skin is the best Ana skin anyways. Makes me want an NC one for McCree.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I bought Ana's Merciful skin and do not regret it.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I rather like her simple 75 gold green skin, Peridot I think? Makes her sort of look like she has a forest camo cloack on. Doesn't feel quite as lame or lazy as most common skins.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ana has good skins

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

vulturesrow posted:

I'm on PS4 and comp is marginally better. There is still some dumb poo poo, especially considering I'm hovering right around 50 right now but overall I do feel like people are trying a little harder in comp. I want to win every time I play but I don't expect to, and in QP I'm willing to roll with whatever since I have a try-hard variant to play. And it makes me feel less bad about picking characters I'm not very good with or that aren't a very good for with what others have picked.

The quality of comp is way up after the first week or so on PS4, although at the level I'm at, there's just not enough experience or skill (and I'm happy to lump myself in with the unskilled and unexperienced) to make the games a ton of fun. It's very rare that the matches aren't very onesided.

So I'm kind of dependent on people still caring in QP so I have a shot to get some good games.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The way I see it, Comp isn't much different than QP at the level most goons play at, so you may as well play in Comp to have a chance at the points. I've already got 125 from casual play.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a way to quickly mute everyone in Quick Play? I get 4 gold as Mei and get told to kill myself, and I'd rather just play the game and pretend my team mates are lovely bots ala HOTS.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a way to quickly mute everyone in Quick Play?

You just leave the voice chat group for your team via social.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Verranicus posted:

The way I see it, Comp isn't much different than QP at the level most goons play at, so you may as well play in Comp to have a chance at the points. I've already got 125 from casual play.

Unfortunately I didn't get the skill allotment when I registered, I'm a high 20s player.

Not having the same skills as most goons is nice in like, Puzzle Pirates where I was/am much better at that game than the average person here but when it comes to first person shooters I'm total garbage.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I love new D.Va.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Verranicus posted:

If comp was more casually paced I might be inclined to go along with this line of reasoning...and legitimately, good job...but the games just take too dang long for me to really enjoy it among other things. I think quick play is genuinely much better paced, even though I can (kind of) see why comp is done the way it is.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Since the patch, I have a 70% win rate in comp as McCree. This is good and cool and please Blizzard don't nerf my cowboy shootmans

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Since the patch, I have a 70% win rate in comp as McCree. This is good and cool and please Blizzard don't nerf my cowboy shootmans

I'm eagerly awaiting the next round of McCree nerfs followed by the next round of McCree buffs.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Give Hanzo a higher headshot multiplier, making him a dedicated medium range tank buster.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Ddraig posted:

Give Hanzo a higher headshot multiplier, making him a dedicated medium range tank buster.

Replace Scatter Shot with Photon Shot, giving the arrow penetration through all activated shields (Zarya, Rein, Winston, etc) and through multiple character hitboxes.
Improve projectile flight time by x2.
Reduce damage from 125 to 100.
Have the draw only effect velocity/distance and headshot multiplier
Give Hanzo a x1 to x4 HS multiplier based on how much he charges his shot. Charging his shot should take longer.
Reduce the mobility decrease when firing initially but quickly ramp it up to immobility at highest charge.
Allow him to leap a great distances from surfaces when crouched or wall climbing as an escape/mobility option and chain wall climbs with Space.
RMB is now a Flash Shot, a temporary 2s blind with 10s cooldown in a moderate radius from point of impact. Effects even those protected by shields and the like, etc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ddraig posted:

I feel like current McCree would still be better at the role even without adjusting his damage further upwards, unless you're talking something absurd like "can oneshot Reinhardt/D.Va with an arrow."

I'm kind of not really sure in the abstract I like the idea of McCree as "midrange cowboy railgunner" either really, because it seems to be moving him further away from his stated intended role and while there's obviously room for a character's focus to change if they aren't working in that role I feel like Blizzard is just so nervous about trying to revisit Fan the Hammer into something better and accidentally breaking things all over again that they're shifting McCree in a weird direction in their attempt to rebalance him. Especially since McCree is now kind of stepping on Soldier 76's toes, and I have a feeling that this is going to be another instance of something that pro headshot clickers can bust wide open because if there's anything I've learned about FPSes in these last two months it's that if you give headshot savants a high-powered method of hitscan headshotting people to death at anywhere from high to medium range that they will basically do incredibly disgusting things with it.

Again, this is all abstract and poo poo. Maybe it doesn't matter. I think, personally, that I'd rather not see McCree become a hero wrapped solely around being a left-click headshot skill tester with a flashbang in reserve and that there are plenty of ways they could revisit FtH to make it more worthwhile without simultaneously allowing him to delete every character in the game with it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I'm still amazed they looked at the mccree changes and thought "yeah, this is a good idea."

Same for hanzo, but for the opposite reason.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Remove hanzos bow and replace with minigun imo

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Like I said, right now everyone is probably extremely leery of readjusting Fan the Hammer upwards because if they gently caress that up it would most likely be perceived far worse than if they overbalance McCree but in a completely different way. If/when this version turns out to be busted then they'll probably look at FtH again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they could keep the damage but increase the rate of fire for fan the hammer

that way, he'd still do the same damage to tanks but be able to kill flankers more reliably with the stun-fan combo

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Zzulu posted:

Remove hanzos bow and replace with minigun imo

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
hitscan characters were a mistake

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Like I said, right now everyone is probably extremely leery of readjusting Fan the Hammer upwards because if they gently caress that up it would most likely be perceived far worse than if they overbalance McCree but in a completely different way. If/when this version turns out to be busted then they'll probably look at FtH again.

Yeah, so instead of making a character oppressively good at just close range and kinda lovely at every other range, he's oppressively good at all ranges except widowmaker's. I can't imagine how they could have seen this was a bad idea before putting it on live.

There was no way they were going to get around looking at FtH. This is just a waste of a patch (for Mccree balance, other poo poo was good) outside of them learning the lesson that "Mccree being this good at all ranges isn't a good idea"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

they could keep the damage but increase the rate of fire for fan the hammer

that way, he'd still do the same damage to tanks but be able to kill flankers more reliably with the stun-fan combo

That's one thing they could do. They could also increase the duration of the flashbang's stun (slightly) in order to achieve the same thing but people are weird about stuff like that. Or they could bring back his old FtH damage and simply take the automatic reload off of his combat roll since it was really the ability to flash and then fan twice in a row that was causing such problems. Maybe shorten combat roll's cooldown and extend its distance slightly to make it more of a useful dodge instead of simply that thing you do to get a free reload.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

ana has good skins
I wish I could say the same for Zarya. :( Almost everyone has at least one good alternate skin except her.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Zarya's coat skins are cool because they're literal Russian military uniform in the Overwatch world.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

That's one thing they could do. They could also increase the duration of the flashbang's stun (slightly) in order to achieve the same thing but people are weird about stuff like that. Or they could bring back his old FtH damage and simply take the automatic reload off of his combat roll since it was really the ability to flash and then fan twice in a row that was causing such problems. Maybe shorten combat roll's cooldown and extend its distance slightly to make it more of a useful dodge instead of simply that thing you do to get a free reload.

they could swap the reload out for some iframes or something

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
McCree is always going to be good because Hitscan is sort of the best form of doing damage in any game that's included it.

Literally the only thing McCree has going for him is high spike damage and the ability to interrupt ults. You take away the former, and you might aswell play Roadhog as he also has that capability and does substantially higher amounts of damage with 3 times the health.

Fan the Hammer was broken, that was fixed. They also didn't really bother to make up for this substantial loss with increased damage output in the way that he should be doing most of his damage meaning he was being outperformed by heroes that did his job far better, far easier and with more advantages.

Prior to this patch there was literally no reason at all to pick McCree over Soldier since Soldier would outperform McCree at every single distance, in addition to having self-healing, higher mobility and arguably a better ultimate.

Now both heroes have their respective niches and there are situations where I would pick one over the other. McCree is good at spike damage and burning down people fairly quickly, Soldier is good at sustained, steady damage that is incredibly reliable even if you don't nail every shot.

McCree was kind of garbage, now he isn't, I guess people are going to have to get used to it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Combat roll doesn't reload, but the cooldown is reset when you fire your 6th shot. It makes more sense thematically anyway. Roll, dump your magazine into someone, roll away to safety so you can reload again.

I swear you play a different game from the rest of us. It's uncanny.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 21, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ddraig posted:

McCree is always going to be good because Hitscan is sort of the best form of doing damage in any game that's included it.

Literally the only thing McCree has going for him is high spike damage and the ability to interrupt ults. You take away the former, and you might aswell play Roadhog as he also has that capability and does substantially higher amounts of damage with 3 times the health.

Fan the Hammer was broken, that was fixed. They also didn't really bother to make up for this substantial loss with increased damage output in the way that he should be doing most of his damage meaning he was being outperformed by heroes that did his job far better, far easier and with more advantages.

Prior to this patch there was literally no reason at all to pick McCree over Soldier since Soldier would outperform McCree at every single distance, in addition to having self-healing, higher mobility and arguably a better ultimate.

Now both heroes have their respective niches and there are situations where I would pick one over the other. McCree is good at spike damage and burning down people fairly quickly, Soldier is good at sustained, steady damage that is incredibly reliable even if you don't nail every shot.

McCree was kind of garbage, now he isn't, I guess people are going to have to get used to it.

There are multiple paths to making a character good, is kind of my point, and I don't know if I 100% agree that the way to make a character that Blizzard themselves described as an "anti-flanker counter to Genjis and Tracers" better after justifiably being nerfed was to instead reimagine him as Hitscan Hanzo. Fan the Hammer was broken and needed adjustment, I'm not sure I'd say it's "fixed" right now because unless you have bad aim is there ever really a reason to use it over single-shot (and if you have bad aim then you probably aren't really suited to McCree, an aim-intensive character)? Right now there are a whole bunch of conflicting opinions as everyone is doing the immediate post-patch This Thing Sucks And Is Broken Forever tango so I suppose we'll see in a month or so if McCree and Soldier are actually comfortably coexisting or if every pro team drops their Soldiers in favor of McCrees for general purpose headshotting duty.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

The Walrus posted:

https://watcher.gg/profile/pc/us/LLJKwalrus%231519;mode=1

just ignore the kda move along move along. i need to take my own advice about how to play pharrah, I flutter around too much.

just wish the games actually looked like the stats, for me.

I keep losing matches and going further down, now my friends will not play with me as apparently i am too low for them :(

They are Rank 50

https://watcher.gg/profile/pc/eu/TheresaJayne%232869

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/eu/TheresaJayne-2869

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Kai Tave posted:

There are multiple paths to making a character good, is kind of my point, and I don't know if I 100% agree that the way to make a character that Blizzard themselves described as an "anti-flanker counter to Genjis and Tracers" better after justifiably being nerfed was to instead reimagine him as Hitscan Hanzo. Fan the Hammer was broken and needed adjustment, I'm not sure I'd say it's "fixed" right now because unless you have bad aim is there ever really a reason to use it over single-shot (and if you have bad aim then you probably aren't really suited to McCree, an aim-intensive character)? Right now there are a whole bunch of conflicting opinions as everyone is doing the immediate post-patch This Thing Sucks And Is Broken Forever tango so I suppose we'll see in a month or so if McCree and Soldier are actually comfortably coexisting or if every pro team drops their Soldiers in favor of McCrees for general purpose headshotting duty.

People will probably pick McCree over Soldier in the pro levels because at that level aimbotting is rife and why would you not pick him over Soldier, particularly as McCree's major disadvantage (if you miss or whiff you do no damage at all) is completely nullified by the Taimou's of the world with their suspiciously accurate tracking of resurrected people.

I'd also probably not put too much stock in what Blizzard "themselves described" since there's a lot of characters who had roles that Blizzard themselves don't seem entirely convinced about. I'd put Roadhog much higher in the anti-flanker territory than McCree, even when FTH was broken as all hell, because Roadhog has more than enough HP to react to an attack from an unexpected angle, which is what flankers do, than McCree who would die fairly quickly if a flanker got the drop on him, which is kind of what flankers do.

Like, wha's Hanzo's purpose in game? What was D.Va's, prior to this patch? Blizzard might have had a fixed view in mind when they created these characters but things change rapidly especially with thousands of people playing and pushing things to their limit.

It seems McCree is now different from what they originally envisioned him to be, which is entirely within Blizzard's rights.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Wait what is wrong with buffed mcree ?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nothing unless you like playing pharah

there are things they could have done to buff him that didn't give him a railgun but this is what we have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just had a game where I was wallriding around as Lucio inside the well on that Ilios map. 3 dudes fell in trying to kill me, pretty funny.