Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thanqol posted:

Actually, voting is mandatory here. We made it to the polling places just fine. We just actually are a nation of xenophobic bigots.

Maybe you should stop the votes rather than trying to stop the boats then.

gently caress, going back to rule by England isn't any different. Might as well see about selling yourself to New Zealand for the low low cost of "please govern us and don't let us vote."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

FAUXTON posted:

Might as well see about selling yourself to New Zealand for the low low cost of "please govern us and don't let us vote."

I'd take that deal.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe you should stop the votes rather than trying to stop the boats then.

gently caress, going back to rule by England isn't any different. Might as well see about selling yourself to New Zealand for the low low cost of "please govern us and don't let us vote."

America's example shows that immigration of non-whites is the best inoculation against swivel-eyed lunatics, the problem is that immigration just encourages them out of the woodwork and will take a while to stick and have an impact in votes. Should've gotten all those non-whites back when fascism hadn't been invented and, uh, we had slavery instead?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

BREXIT is a really bad analogy for the American presidential race and America in general. The weirdest and most unbelievable thing I have to explain to people, even Americans, is that the current political schema is a direct result of the civil war, and even before that, the literal founding of America and the question of slavery.

Despite politicians railing against "identity politics", I would hazard 80% of any presidential election is about identity politics. And while the identity in question may shift in degrees, it's always the same fight since the 18th century.

Or to put it in a more succinct way: Why are conservatives against bike lanes, except as a gently caress you to liberals?

Donald Trump is a naked appeal to the white supremacist element of America that's existed since its literal founding. Except now, it's finally no longer viable (I'm loving hoping come November).

A lot of conservatives would like to frame it as minorities wanting "free stuff". But one of the most illustrative refutations is Asian Americans, who as a cohort is better educated and has higher income than even whites. And they absolutely are in the bag for Democrats since the GOP went on a white nationalist streak since Obama took office.

fair enough, I think Clinton is ever so slightly to the left of Biden and to the right of Obama. Hillary will effectively be a continuation of Obama's policies.

I don't really care to invoke minorities since I'm extremely white and conscious of it, but where I grew up was dominantly tribal.

I was a privileged minority and didn't realize it until after high school, because high school-aged people are morons regardlesss

That said, mitakuye oyasin. we are all one nation. I really hope Hillary does something about BIA and how Native Americans are treated or I'm about to become an extremely annoying poster.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 21, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

LGD posted:

Hey ya'll, I think the bigger story of the night maybe has nothing to do with the RNC

https://twitter.com/Neil_Irwin/status/755956574141624320
So Trump is basically trying to extort the former soviet satellite states for uh... boatloads of their nubile young women? In exchange for protection?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 21, 2016

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
, in which an officer shoots a child's dog during his 5th birthday party because he "lunged at him."

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Brexit had two advantages Trump doesn't. America has far more minorities to piss off than Britain does, and the Brexit campaign didn't do anything to piss of women like Trump did.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Antti posted:

America's example shows that immigration of non-whites is the best inoculation against swivel-eyed lunatics, the problem is that immigration just encourages them out of the woodwork and will take a while to stick and have an impact in votes. Should've gotten all those non-whites back when fascism hadn't been invented and, uh, we had slavery instead?

What's needed is application of harmful speech exclusions to racism/nativism because it invariably incites race riots. Then you can bring immigrants in, lure the racists and nativists out of the woodwork, and then frogmarch them into prison when they try launching another stormfront.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

LGD posted:

Hey ya'll, I think the bigger story of the night maybe has nothing to do with the RNC

Also note that those small Baltic states who only recently joined NATO would include Slovenia, birthplace of one Melania Knauss Trump. He's not even sure he would save his wife's country from Putin.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

LGD posted:

This is pretty much identical to his habit of deciding not to pay contractors for their work because it's "substandard quality" (of which he gets to be the judge).

He thinks that others should do their part in a contract, but he will not do his part when he feels he's in a suitably powerful position that the other can't fight back, and he uses obviously bullshit excuses to justify it. He thinks this makes him a great businessman who does good deals.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Meat Recital posted:

Also note that those small Baltic states who only recently joined NATO would include Slovenia, birthplace of one Melania Knauss Trump. He's not even sure he would save his wife's country from Putin.

Trump is not of the mind that Russian annexation would have a downside. Granted, he's rich but he's fur coat, Ferrari, $5k bar tab at a club rich and would be well-received in Russian circles.

He's not the kind of Gates Foundation rich that has the insight to see how straight up bad Putin is for everyone big and small.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Meat Recital posted:

Obviously they'd be able to point out what they've done for America lately.

Also I hope the officer who shot that dog gets cancer in his balls and they have to cut out both of his balls and all the other officers make fun of him and call him No-Balls Garry until he shoots himself to end it all but fucks it up and lives the rest of his life feeding through a tube and, somehow, making GBS threads into a bag.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Alright, between the Rolling Stones intro for Trump the last few nights and the Eminence Front cover when Ryan came on, I really am convinced that the person selecting the music at the RNC is either a fantastic troll or completely immune to irony.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Since Pat Buchanan’s speech at the RNC in 1992, I have awaited this election, prophesied its coming, and feel vindicated because this is the one where I think that the centripetal forces that have been putting strain on the GOP will finally tear it apart. Earlier in the year, I was gleefully saying my political Christmas present was coming and I was so looking forward to this convention.

That was then, this is now. Seeing this has long since stopped being entertaining even in the “see, you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas” sense because the GOP did this to itself. Now it’s just uncomfortable, like watching someone who really thinks they can sing butcher the National Anthem and they have only gotten as far as ‘By the dawn’s early light…’ and you know there’s more to come because they can’t stop and everyone in the audience is antsy. It feels like that kind of awkward now.

Meat Recital posted:

He's extorting them for more wives. If they don't deliver, he won't "protect" them.

TheOneOutside posted:

Alright, between the Rolling Stones intro for Trump the last few nights and the Eminence Front cover when Ryan came on, I really am convinced that the person selecting the music at the RNC is either a fantastic troll or completely immune to irony.
I think it should be clear by now there are several saboteurs inside the Vichy RNC at this point.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 21, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Maybe million a white family's dog might get people to admit that the cops have issues because all the deaths of black victims clearly don't mean anything.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Every time I hear “lock her up” at the convention, I just cringe.

When I think about Paul Manafort’s effort to help elect the pro-Putin Viktor Yanukovych in 2010, and they yelled “lock her up” in Ukraine, that’s exactly what they did. On trumped up political charges (ironically because she accepted, under duress, an unfair natural gas deal), Yanukovych threw former prime minister and his 2010 opponent, Yulia Tymoshenko, in prison.

Politicians and presidents make serious ethical mistakes. Reagan/Bush 41 on Iran-Contra, Bush 43 on WMD intelligence/torture, Bill Clinton on perjury.

But this? “Lock her up” might be the slogan of the 2016 GOP convention. It’s anything but conservative, anything but respect for the Constitution, anything but liberty. Wild. I almost wish Clinton would invite Tymoshenko to the DNC next week to show just what a threat Trumpismo presents. Maybe I’d expect this in Kiev, but America? It’s so tragic.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Slovenia is central european, not Baltic. It's literally right next to italy.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Somehow I can't picture Melania Trump signing up to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln3wAdRAim4

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

NLJP posted:

Slovenia is central european, not Baltic. It's literally right next to italy.

Don't worry, Trump can't tell Baltics from Balkans either

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 21, 2016

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Inferior Third Season posted:

At the end of W's second term, the GOP had hosed up so bad that everyone was thinking they might be finished. It took them all of two years to rally and win the midterms so decisively that we are still dealing with the gerrymandering fallout.

I think its a mistake to attribute Democrats losing seats in the Obama mid-terms to the GOP rebuilding. I think has to do with things like the Democratic voter base underestimating the importance of voting in midterms, the less intense media coverage, and the party organization doing a lackluster job campaigning in the off years gutting Dem turnout.

The forces damaging the Reagan coalition is long term stuff. Losing the demographic shifts, the culture wars, the economy, ect. These problems are slowly sinking the party over decades, they don't turn around in 2 years. Every election these problems make it a little harder for the GOP to win the Presidency, and that's a big deal in an election where 51% to 47% is a strong win.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Junior G-man posted:

She could belt out a few turbofolk tunes, maybe some Laibach

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Junior G-man posted:

She's great at repeating other people's lines why would a song be any different.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I think its a mistake to attribute Democrats losing seats in the Obama mid-terms to the GOP rebuilding. I think has to do with things like the Democratic voter base underestimating the importance of voting in midterms, the less intense media coverage, and the party organization doing a lackluster job campaigning in the off years gutting Dem turnout.

The forces damaging the Reagan coalition is long term stuff. Losing the demographic shifts, the culture wars, the economy, ect. These problems are slowly sinking the party over decades, they don't turn around in 2 years. Every election these problems make it a little harder for the GOP to win the Presidency, and that's a big deal in an election where 51% to 47% is a strong win.
The Tea Party rose to power between 2008 and 2010, which manifested itself as huge vote turnout for the GOP. It was not only the Democratic voters not showing up.

And the boomers still have a good 20 years left in them to be crotchety old assholes, and they aren't afraid of suppressing young/minority votes. The amount of damage that can still be done is immeasurable.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Pellisworth posted:

fair enough, I think Clinton is ever so slightly to the left of Biden and to the right of Obama. Hillary will effectively be a continuation of Obama's policies.

This is wrong. On foreign policy she's somewhat more interventionist than Obama but otherwise she is more liberal on most things. She's just tainted by a long legacy in government which means compromises on her record.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Quorum posted:

This is wrong. On foreign policy she's somewhat more interventionist than Obama but otherwise she is more liberal on most things. She's just tainted by a long legacy in government which means compromises on her record.
People keep saying this but the base really doesn't want another unnecessary war, so I doubt she's going to get us involved in one.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Holy crap. I'd only seen still images of the Laura Ingraham nazi salute, and assumed that it was just a cherry-picked image from a normal wave to the crowd.

Nope, she's basically got an entire Dr. Strangelove thing going on.

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/755926710147842048/photo/1

Look at the determination and seriousness during the salute, which then transforms into a smile when she remembers that she's supposed to be waving.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think what I like about the continuing dumpster fire and it's dreadful RNC is that it seems to be leading to Democratic Party Unity. The Democratic Party was already far more unified, but the "Lock Her Up" chants and white supremacist talking points seem to be encouraging hold outs to rethink their reluctance to sign onto the SS Clinton. It's a really bad fire.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Looks like police are back to killing their second most hated foe after unarmed black people, family pets. Remember that police dogs count as police officers when they are biting your face so don't try to hit it but your dog can be put down because it's easier to shoot it than to wait a minute for the owner to put it in the back room. Also if a cop kills a police dog by leaving it in a hot car then oops it's just equipment no harm no foul.

Seriously police are the biggest loving cowards; they are the last people that should be allowed to use guns.

Geostomp posted:

Maybe million a white family's dog might get people to admit that the cops have issues because all the deaths of black victims clearly don't mean anything.

Nah. There was a spree of dog shooting by police a few years ago. When the entire justice department thinks cops can literally do no wrong and most politicians don't give a poo poo if they don't think that cops are ARE HEROES there's not much the public can do other than not make eye contact and hope they don't get anyone killed by a twitchy cop. A white mayor's dog was shot during a drug bust when the cops knew that the people there weren't doing anything drug related and nothing happened because of course.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 21, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Inferior Third Season posted:

Holy crap. I'd only seen still images of the Laura Ingraham nazi salute, and assumed that it was just a cherry-picked image from a normal wave to the crowd.

Nope, she's basically got an entire Dr. Strangelove thing going on.

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/755926710147842048/photo/1

Look at the determination and seriousness during the salute, which then transforms into a smile when she remembers that she's supposed to be waving.
Keep posting this poo poo on social media until the press picks it up guys. We must continue to lay the facist heart of the RNC/GOP bare.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

Seriously, the people bitching about not voting Hillary watching this week have seen the best reason to do so:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gyges posted:

I think what I like about the continuing dumpster fire and it's dreadful RNC is that it seems to be leading to Democratic Party Unity. The Democratic Party was already far more unified, but the "Lock Her Up" chants and white supremacist talking points seem to be encouraging hold outs to rethink their reluctance to sign onto the SS Clinton. It's a really bad fire.
Is there any good proof on this reaction?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

At this point there is no plausible deniability for Trump voters. No one can say that they "just don't follow politics" or "well I always vote R so..." The Trump campaign and RNC has permeated the media so strongly you would have to be a hermit that just comes out of his cave every four years to vote and then retreat back in to total isolation. It's very clear what Trump is running on and also that all of his ideas are terrible for every facet of society including business. Anyone voting for the GOP this time is fine with white supremacy and can't hide behind economic conservatism or Sensible politics.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I hope that more people wander into the 'kill her', not just 'lock her', blunder, to receive their own visits from the serious people in suits.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Lock up my political opponent so I can run unopposed" is not much less frightening and it's disturbing it isn't getting the respect it deserves from the media.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man that guy on the ground and autistic child sure are dangerous.

https://twitter.com/Delo_Taylor/status/755985094926622720

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Casimir Radon posted:

People keep saying this but the base really doesn't want another unnecessary war, so I doubt she's going to get us involved in one.

Oh, I don't think she's actually going to get involved in a war. I just mean that, by inclination, she tends to be more interventionist than her predecessor.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Quorum posted:

Oh, I don't think she's actually going to get involved in a war. I just mean that, by inclination, she tends to be more interventionist than her predecessor.

Also remember that the notion that "Hillary will get us into another war" doesn't necessarily imply she'll go looking for one, either. Hawkish politicians can make a war out of a molehill when presented with the opportunity, even if they didn't create the circumstances necessarily. See: George W. Bush and Dick Cheney, circa. 2001-2003.

That's about the only thing I'm still wary about Hillary, really, is her foreign policy. Her domestic stuff is shaping up nicely but I'd rather we moved away from Obama's "let's drone and airstrike all of the problems" policies.

Edit: I should say that I don't mean all this to say I expect us to end up in another 9/11 situation and Hillary go full neoconservative, but we live in strange times and the rise of the extreme right at the forefront of international politics again is very scary, especially since the political spectrum is so warped in America (i.e. the current hegemonic power) that we don't even seem to recognize the threat anymore.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 21, 2016

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just about a week ago a man killed 80 people with a truck. Just imagine what that kid could have done with a train. How could they know it was a toy and not real? It's a split-second decision, life & death, all that pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Man, just did a quick google the cop literally said "I don't know," when asked why he shot. loving Christ he probably just wanted to see if he could get away with murdering himself one of dem blacks and is likely pissed rear end all hell he sucks at shooting and didn't get the kill.

• Locked thread