Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How do you think Elizabeth Holmes shaves?

Probably with this: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving#/

Has the whole crowdfunding thing peaked already with so many of the first wave utterly failing to deliver? I haven't heard as much about crazy successful campaigns lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't understand how you can make money from website ads. Shouldn't everyone be using ad blockers now? But then again, I don't know why anyone would buy something through spam email, but apparently enough people are doing it to make those businesses profitable.

I wonder if some of these money-losing platforms are allowed to persist as long as they do because the parent company reasons "The time these people spend on our site, not spending enough money, is time they don't spend on a competitor's site, spending any money at all." When every media platform is acquired by a huge tech/media empire that logic makes sense, maybe.

Yep.

I'm still waiting for a virus that installs adblock or ublock on every computer everywhere and watching the entire internet fall apart

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mastershakeman posted:

I'm still waiting for a virus that installs adblock or ublock on every computer everywhere and watching the entire internet fall apart

I'm waiting for one of the major ISPs in the US to offer router or network-level ad blocking as an optional (paid) service.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm waiting for one of the major ISPs in the US to offer router or network-level ad blocking as an optional (paid) service.

:getin:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Season 3 of Mr. Robot looking good.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

You mean ad injecting as a free service, right? That's been done already.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cheese posted:

Some people get very into aspects of personal grooming and beauty. If someone wants that to be their "thing" then I say go for it. You are an idiot if you buy into the PR bullshit about straight razor shaving, but then you are an idiot if you buy into the PR bullshit of any activity.

I can't believe we went this long without someone posting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk93hTVRpW8

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mobby_6kl posted:

You mean ad injecting as a free service, right? That's been done already.

I know, but that only makes pennies per user at best and pisses people off. Paid ad blocking could bring you $5-$15 per month per user, would likely generate serious customer goodwill, and is arguably legal if it is opt in and requested by the customer. Downside of course is a reduction in data use. Bonus for the telecom CEOs is that it would really really gently caress over those jerks in SV that pushed to get ISPs reclassified as telecommunication services.

And what are companies going to do, blacklist all 130 million Verizon subscribers, including those without the service?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shifty Pony posted:

Has the whole crowdfunding thing peaked already with so many of the first wave utterly failing to deliver? I haven't heard as much about crazy successful campaigns lately.
The MST3K Kickstarter raised $5,764,229, and seems to be making very steady progress on production as far as I know. The most successful ones I've seen (not in terms of total money raised, but in delivery) are from companies that have manufacturing experience. It's great for comics artists who outsource the printing/fulfillment, and it's great for companies who already make something but want the tooling/capital to make more or a different. This bra raised $1.1 million and shipped all its product. I got one, and it rocks. The company had launched a couple of years ago with the funds from a $60K Indiegogo campaign.

Basically, don't fund people without a track record; if you do, recognize that the odds are much more strongly against you. And for the love of God, don't fund anybody with no manufacturing experience who's outsourcing to China. That way lies tears and exposés.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How do you think Elizabeth Holmes shaves?

No one knows, but we trust that she's doing a great job, and we're behind her 100%.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
I really hope this is satire, or the sharing economy has literally become poo poo. Meet Pooper, it's like uber but for dog poo poo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Barudak posted:

Those tweets are typically wholesale created by the brand prior to the launch of the advertising. Only extremely rarely would a non planned for promotion tweet recieve money once put into the market. Twitters revenue is pretty much all variations of promoted tweets with slight modifications such as unique ad types, their loving laughable emoji system, and Twitter moments.

Did Hasbro create Chewbacca Mom out of whole cloth to sell those dumb plastic masks?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Did Hasbro create Chewbacca Mom out of whole cloth to sell those dumb plastic masks?

if so, the marketing person who cast her and set up the whole thing is a genius

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

She'd likely fall under exceptionally rarely but without knowing a goddamn thing about this story is assume her tweets were popular sans any effort on Hasbros part and once she was a thing they built new ones with the intention of promoting them.

Also as far as companies circling the drain are concerned I could list you about 30 start ups I have had to meet with to prove I'm aware of the latest opportunities in advertising who I'm 99 percent certain I will never hear of again in 6 months. Adtech is smothered in me too companies who all piggyback of the same tech solutions and act as though theyve anything to offer. I've met no less than three companies that as far as I can tell are ways to buy foursquares data but pay 20% more for it. Also Yahoo because their decline is so pathetic that Aol's media buying is better than theirs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Barudak posted:

I've met no less than three companies that as far as I can tell are ways to buy foursquares data but pay 20% more for it.

Whoa. I hadn't heard Foursquare's name in years. (Well, outside this thread anyway.) I had no idea they had anything left to sell but their domain name.

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010

Unguided posted:

https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-deux

Musk is still gung-ho about self driving and ride sharing.

Why KILL ALL HUMANS one at a time, when you can do it in groups of 4? Efficiency rules.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Whoa. I hadn't heard Foursquare's name in years. (Well, outside this thread anyway.) I had no idea they had anything left to sell but their domain name.

I work for a company that uses Foursquare data for some reason and it's really bad. When I found out we used it I had the exact same response that you had.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
It's also annoyingly popular with toy collectors on Twitter.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

I really hope this is satire, or the sharing economy has literally become poo poo. Meet Pooper, it's like uber but for dog poo poo.

It has to be satire, otherwise it would be Poopr.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hold on, I have to go trademark Scoopr (Scüpr?)

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Its nice that tech has moved on from the "All you need is an idea" of a few years ago to "Just copy someone elses idea wholesale and see if someone will fund you".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

uggy posted:

I work for a company that uses Foursquare data for some reason and it's really bad. When I found out we used it I had the exact same response that you had.

I wonder what Nintendo is charging for Pokemon Go data?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I wonder what Nintendo is charging for Pokemon Go data?

I saw a sign outside a shop in town announcing that they had free pokeballs for people. Is that just someone being savvy and dumping a few hundred into the microtransactions for a promotion, or is that a deal you can work out with Niantic?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

I saw a sign outside a shop in town announcing that they had free pokeballs for people. Is that just someone being savvy and dumping a few hundred into the microtransactions for a promotion, or is that a deal you can work out with Niantic?

It's not even a few hundred. Hour-long Lures can be had for like $1.19, so you could do what my FLGS did and spend $9 and get 8 hours of nerdy people walking into your Android's Dungeon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

You absolutely can get deals it's just expensive. McDonalds is apparently going to be the first major partner with it so expect to see something in a few weeks if that deal sticks. Lures and other things are just a thing you can pay for and companies like GameStop aren't retarded and doubled their share value by shelling out for them.

As for foursquare their location technology rather than their apps nobody gives a poo poo about is what's getting used. Their code, and by extension the piggybacked data they collect, is near ubiquitous among apps.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The MST3K Kickstarter raised $5,764,229, and seems to be making very steady progress on production as far as I know. The most successful ones I've seen (not in terms of total money raised, but in delivery) are from companies that have manufacturing experience. It's great for comics artists who outsource the printing/fulfillment, and it's great for companies who already make something but want the tooling/capital to make more or a different. This bra raised $1.1 million and shipped all its product. I got one, and it rocks. The company had launched a couple of years ago with the funds from a $60K Indiegogo campaign.

Basically, don't fund people without a track record; if you do, recognize that the odds are much more strongly against you. And for the love of God, don't fund anybody with no manufacturing experience who's outsourcing to China. That way lies tears and exposés.

reminder that star citizen has pulled in ~$110 million as of earlier this year and they're transparently conning nerds

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cheese posted:

Its nice that tech has moved on from the "All you need is an idea" of a few years ago to "Just copy someone elses idea wholesale and see if someone will fund you".

Tech (in the post 80s startup sense) was never anything but stealing other people's ideas, perhaps polishing them slightly, and using connections or dumb luck to get enough VC money to market like mad with the hope that you can bury or buy the first mover. Then you aqui-hire anyone who looks like they might be trying to do the same to you.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Shifty Pony posted:

Tech (in the post 80s startup sense) was never anything but stealing other people's ideas, perhaps polishing them slightly, and using connections or dumb luck to get enough VC money to market like mad with the hope that you can bury or buy the first mover. Then you aqui-hire anyone who looks like they might be trying to do the same to you.

There are some legit good startups, but they don't get play in this thread because they're not famous and they're not huge disasters.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Shifty Pony posted:

That's a little hyperbolic, even for this thread. Innovation is few and far between, especially in 2016, but its not like there has been nothing new created.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This bra raised $1.1 million and shipped all its product. I got one, and it rocks. The company had launched a couple of years ago with the funds from a $60K Indiegogo campaign.

I also have this bra and can confirm it shipped even the extended sizes and is good

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cheese posted:

That's a little hyperbolic, even for this thread. Innovation is few and far between, especially in 2016, but its not like there has been nothing new created.

The problem is that everybody wants to be the next Google, amaxon, Microsoft, or Facebook. You just can't do anything that basic anymore and more importantly you can't do it with a year, a puppy, a dream, and $200 million from idiots.

This is why all the startup catastrophes are so hilarious. They want to build Rome in a day.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cheese posted:

Yeah it is hyperbole. There is plenty new created, much of it very impressive and large leaps over what was out there before.

But there is an almost comical amount of fad chasing in tech, and there has been for some time. There also seems to be a pretty strong second mover advantage in many cases. The public is so quick to move on that the teething problems of one platform will often present the opportunity for a second to come in and eclipse the first with only a few incremental improvements.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Pokemon go for food delivery

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Spazzle posted:

Pokemon go for food delivery

, but with Bitcoin! :downs:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I could sell a lovely bra with an extended fitting guide and people would think it was amazing because most people are not wearing the right sized bra.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is that just ignorance or one of those "I totally need those monster condoms for my magnum dong" things?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Is that just ignorance or one of those "I totally need those monster condoms for my magnum dong" things?

Bra fitting is more complex than most people realize. Boobs are also weird as hell.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

mobby_6kl posted:

As near as I can tell, it's mostly active malevolence from stores that want to carry a narrow range of sizes and direct their employees to lie about sizes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

cowofwar posted:

I could sell a lovely bra with an extended fitting guide and people would think it was amazing because most people are not wearing the right sized bra.
Because you have to know not only your breast size but your breast shape and which bra *models* (individual bra designs from the same maker) are suited to that shape, it takes hard work and luck to find a bra that fits. The Evolution bra is made entirely of stretch material, which solves the boob shape problem if you're willing to be somewhat squished, and yet manages to provide good support. It's like the difference between wearing a T-shirt and finding a fitted cotton blouse that matches your shape. Add that to the fact that trying on bras is only slightly more fun than getting all your teeth pulled while Fox News is on the dentist's TV, and the Evolution bra is a very good thing.
</unsolicited shill>

Basically, there are still needs that are very much unmet by the marketplace, and that means that there's always room for somebody who satisfies those needs at an acceptable markup. I just paid $40 for a clear plastic ball to hold my yarn while I knit. Why? Well, because when you knit you pull thread very fast from a round ball of yarn, and the round ball tends to roll all over the room/get attacked by pets/get dirty while it lies around waiting for me to pick up the needles. The clear plastic ball has a rubber base that makes it sit on the table, it has carefully designed ports to hold the unspooling yarn, and the base has room to store small knitting tchotchkes like stitch markers. Is that going to be the next $1B startup? Hell, no. But advertised from mouth to mouth among knitters, crocheters, and tatters, it could well be a small business that lasts a couple of decades.

The (a) problem with unicorns is that the nature of the VC business means that funders only want the businesses with a chance at the 100-to-1 payoff. That means that you get a tulip marketplace where people get in on later rounds because the first round was so big which means it must be important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The problem is that everybody wants to be the next Google, amaxon, Microsoft, or Facebook. You just can't do anything that basic anymore and more importantly you can't do it with a year, a puppy, a dream, and $200 million from idiots.

This is why all the startup catastrophes are so hilarious. They want to build Rome in a day.

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah it is hyperbole. There is plenty new created, much of it very impressive and large leaps over what was out there before.

But there is an almost comical amount of fad chasing in tech, and there has been for some time. There also seems to be a pretty strong second mover advantage in many cases. The public is so quick to move on that the teething problems of one platform will often present the opportunity for a second to come in and eclipse the first with only a few incremental improvements.
Absolutely on both counts. You would think VC investors would look at the 19th newest meal delivery startup stepping into a field littered with competitors and go "Ya I mean, its possible this company strikes it rich, but the odds are really low". But no, they just dump 40m in and shrug when it goes belly up. You would think a mail order razor blade company with only a modest share of an unprofitable market would fall in that category, but apparently it falls under the 1 billion dollar one instead.