Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

If you want better lows, you'll probably want a 2.1 system, in which case the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 is still among the best.

Why wouldn't he keep the speakers he has and add a subwoofer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I'm guessing we can ask for recommendations here? I'm looking for something to replace a set of failing (?) Creative GigaWorks T20s (original version). I unfortunately don't have much money at all to work with right now, so I can't afford something like the JBL LSR305s and a nice subwoofer. I'd like something that at least equals the T20 set if possible. I watch a decent amount of movies and shows, and I play a lot of games. Music sounded okay through the T20s, but I've gotten used to just listening to music on my exercise headset.

I have some other equipment, but it's probably not hugely useful with speakers. Namely, a Roland Quad-Capture and a Schiit Magni, and my sound card is an X-Fi Titanium HD. My setup was mainly for use with headphones. Anyway, I'd appreciate advice. Thanks.

(Background if curious: for several years until around April, I'd been exclusively using circumaural headphones on my PC (the past decade has been HD555, DT 880, and then Fostex TH600). I recently switched back to my old pair of Creative GigaWorks T20 speakers to see if it would help alleviate my worsening ear pain, headaches, tinnitus, and apparently hearing loss (tested recently, left side has measurable loss now). I hadn't been listening at overly loud levels, but I've had slightly hypersensitive hearing for years (higher frequencies = pain) and I have medical conditions (Chiari malformation and a few associated issues) that basically create extra pressure inside my skull that worsened significantly a few years ago (reduced after surgery). Fun stuff.

Using speakers and earbud-style headphones seems to help avoid ear pain and headaches, at least. Unfortunately, the left T20 speaker started crackling within the last week. It seems to happen after certain frequencies or maybe passing a certain volume threshold, but then it remains constant until you shut off the power. Switching cables and changing sources doesn't seem to help, and removing the connection from the source to the left speaker doesn't seem to stop the crackling after it appears. It stays isolated to the left speaker, so it seems like it's probably a problem with that left speaker itself. I honestly have no idea since I'm not knowledgeable about the inner workings of audio components.)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Budget man/woman.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Sorry, should have mentioned that. Also man.

I'm working in Canadian money here, but preferably under $100 (currently ~$78 USD). I can probably stretch to $200 (~$156 USD) if there's nothing worthwhile in my preferred price bracket.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's a Canadian brand called Kanto that sells decent powered speakers, they go on sale a lot. The YU2 should be around the top end of your range.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

If I can save up more cash, is there a known good setup in the sub-$500 CAD range? I can likely work around the crackling/hissing on the T20s for now and just try to save up for something to replace them if there's something significantly better under $500.

I've seen the LSR305s talked about here and various other places. They're apparently $220 per speaker here (which is actually still cheaper than Amazon.com with shipping). If I went with those, I'm guessing I could try them with some RCA to TS/TRS cables from my sound card or I could just connect them to the Quad-Capture if the sound card produces buzz/hiss/hum/whatever. They'd probably also need a subwoofer for a more ideal setup, but that's something that I could pick up (probably significantly) later.

There also aren't really places to try out speakers like the JBLs around here, so like most audio-related things I've bought in the past, I'd probably be buying anything on blind faith.

edit: Since nobody has anything else to contribute, I'm just going to keep looking around for more impressions and information on the various available options until I have no choice but to replace the faulty speaker.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 23, 2016

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Looking for a recommendation for speakers to hook up to a laptop in a conference room. Music doesn't have to sound good, but we'd like voice to come through loud and clear over lovely terrible Skype or whatever we'll use

Requirements:

Reasonably portable
No subwoofer to lug around
1/8" jack, no messing with speaker wire or RCA cables or anything that's more confusing than a completely brain dead "plug the pluggy part into the computer hole"
Under $300

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
https://www.amazon.com/ClearOne-Chat-160-Group-Speakerphone/dp/B002IAO0GA

Doesnt exactly meet your requirements (it's usb) but it actually works really, really well. Bonus: the mic is wayyy better than what's built into the laptop.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

garfield hentai posted:

Looking for a recommendation for speakers to hook up to a laptop in a conference room. Music doesn't have to sound good, but we'd like voice to come through loud and clear over lovely terrible Skype or whatever we'll use

Requirements:

Reasonably portable
No subwoofer to lug around
1/8" jack, no messing with speaker wire or RCA cables or anything that's more confusing than a completely brain dead "plug the pluggy part into the computer hole"
Under $300

Speakers? The Bose Companion 2's are loving Skype *champs*. No microphone or anything but skype voices are on point more than any other computer speakers I've heard.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I just moved and noticed that my (quite old, second hand) Logitech 4.1 THX speakers are having an issue with the front right one very quietly (but just noticeably enough) clicking. Tried swapping speakers, wires, cleaning, etc, no change. Any recommendations for a 2.1 (or maybe even an easily mounted 5.1 system that can function as a 2.1 for a bit while I continue to unpack) speaker setup? From the minimal research I've done, it seems like I should buy the Klipsch Promedia setup - is there anything else around that price that's comparable?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I just rewired my computer/entertainment center area and realized that my Logitech Z-5500s are coming up on 10 years old. The things are still kicking! Everything still runs fine, and all inputs still work.

Peep Jerky
Apr 11, 2005
Edit: just saw a good price on a basic Sony receiver so I'm going to try that to drive my speakers.

Now, any recommendations for a powered subwoofer (preferably 10")?

Peep Jerky fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 31, 2016

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I currently have old Logitech X-230 2.1 set that I've used for ages, or rather not used since I never really liked how they sound and rather preferred to use headphones when possible. I've been thinking about getting amp and decent set of passive speakers but everything recommended is kinda expensive and I don't want to buy crap that I'd want to replace later so I've just been sitting on it...

Anyway, coworker is getting rid of 2 Mission M30i speakers that I could have for cheap (like 30 €). From my limited googling these seem to be okay speakers? They are also quite small and look cool.

Should I buy these and get some cheap amp to get me started? It's mostly for music.

Edit: Well I figured those are so cheap it's kinda silly to worry about so I went and picked those speakers up. Added cheap LP-2020 amp to get me started while I look for something better, possibly used or good deal on new receiver as I'd like something with at least 2 inputs.

Anyway, first impressions - why didn't I do this before...

ugh whatever jeez fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 1, 2016

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Has anyone used the Logitech Z323 speakers? I've been using this Logitech Z205 clip-on speaker for my laptop for a few years now and it's OK, but I just got a larger desk and I have room for a couple of small speakers, so I was hoping to upgrade.

My budget is <$150. I mostly listen to music (indie rock, nothing with super-heavy bass or whatever) and watch Netflix shows with my computer, so I don't think my use case needs anything too special.

Also, I've never had a subwoofer before. I realize this is a stupid question, but does that go on the desk or the floor?

Cletus Van Damme
May 7, 2008

Wanna buy some cheap starships?
Im looking into setting up a new speaker system and was wondering if there is anything terrible or that I could improve with this setup, it will also double as a half assed entertainment center as I use my computer as a TV.

L/R speakers Polk Audio TSx 110B Bookshelf Speaker - Cherry
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHHCCXM/

Center speakers Polk Audio TSx 250c Center Channel Speaker - Cherry
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHHCAU2/

and receiver Sony STRDH550 5.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J30GXW2/

It would be a stretch to push my budget any further right now but I can fill in with a subwoofer later.

Cletus Van Damme fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 9, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

surf rock posted:

Has anyone used the Logitech Z323 speakers? I've been using this Logitech Z205 clip-on speaker for my laptop for a few years now and it's OK, but I just got a larger desk and I have room for a couple of small speakers, so I was hoping to upgrade.

My budget is <$150. I mostly listen to music (indie rock, nothing with super-heavy bass or whatever) and watch Netflix shows with my computer, so I don't think my use case needs anything too special.

Also, I've never had a subwoofer before. I realize this is a stupid question, but does that go on the desk or the floor?

Subwoofers go on the floor.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Is there any significant choice to be made about speakers in the <$50 range?

I am buying something to listen to while at work so small form and low price really are the most valuable factors, for me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Best value for my money still a Klipsch Promedia 2.1? I'm not an audiophile or anything, just want something that sounds good in a gaming PC. Downstairs neighbors are a restaurant with a vaulted ceiling, so no worries about noise from the subwoofer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Need a budget.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Need a budget.

I could go $200-$300, if the marginal improvement was sufficient to justify it. I got my current speakers almost 15 years ago for $120 (5.1 system I've been using as 2.1, finally blew out the third of the four satelittes).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
JBL LSR305 is the completely obvious and unassailable best choice unless you have a really small budget or a really big budget. Period.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

JBL LSR305 is the completely obvious and unassailable best choice unless you have a really small budget or a really big budget. Period.

I guess I should mention I watch Netflix while falling asleep; are those going to be negatively affected by being left on all night, pretty much every night?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Thanatosian posted:

I guess I should mention I watch Netflix while falling asleep; are those going to be negatively affected by being left on all night, pretty much every night?

My LSR308s haven't been

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress those things are huge.

How big of an upgrade are they over the Klipsch Promedia 2.1?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thanatosian posted:

Holy gently caress those things are huge.

How big of an upgrade are they over the Klipsch Promedia 2.1?

Massive and gigantic upgrade.

They're used in studios to let the mixing engineer hear every part of the music. They're better than most 'proper' hi-fi speakers.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

KozmoNaut posted:

They're better than most 'proper' hi-fi speakers.

lol no

Pretty sure this has been covered before in this thread, but that's just flat-out wrong.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Schpyder posted:

lol no

Pretty sure this has been covered before in this thread, but that's just flat-out wrong.

My condolences on your hearing loss.

E: Well no, they're not better than hi-fi speakers costing 10-20 times as much, but they trounce most speakers costing upwards of 5 times as much. And they absolutely run rings around any set of PC speakers ever made.

Hi-fi speakers are generally pretty crap, with boosted midbass and scooped mids, apart from some specific well-regarded models. And expensive audiophile speakers tend to have very pronounced treble, because most audiophiles with a lot of money are old and deaf.

My Adams are better than the JBLs, obviously, as are Neumanns, Yamahas, Genelecs, Opals, ATCs, PMCs and so on. But they also cost a lot more.

E2: Actually, get Yamaha HS studio monitors instead, they come in 5", 6.5" and 8" models. They're better than the JBLs, and comparable in price, at least around here. They're also prettierless ugly.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 27, 2016

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Look, I'm not saying the LSRs aren't pretty good. They are. They're also really cheaply made (hence the price), and while the waveguide to reduce dispersion from the tweeter is fantastic for a mixing situation where you're sitting in a fixed spot at a console, it's less than ideal for general listening around an entire room.

Also they hiss like a motherfucker, probably due to the complete lack of shielding around the amp.

Are they the best computer speaker deal for the money? Sure. Would I take them over a good 5.1 set of home theater towers and surrounds running off a nice receiver for general home theater listening? Not a loving chance.

Man I wish the Yamahas were close in price to the JBLs here. :( they street for roughly twice the price in the US.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 27, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hissing is a common complaint with active monitors, but I bet you everyone who complains has the gain cranked. If you do that, the amplifier is effectively wide-open, so of course any low-level noise is going to be amplified enormously, too.

I have the gain on my Adams set to 9 o'clock (or 2/10), and there is absolutely no hiss. I have to turn the up the volume on my preamp a lot more, but that conveniently puts the most used volume range right in the middle of the volume knob's travel and makes it easier to make small adjustments with the remote control. The higher output level from the preamp also means that my DSP crossover/EQ has a lot more signal to work with, which should result in a better SNR and dynamic range.

(And coincidentally, it also makes the VU meters on the DSP a lot more useful, since they actually show something at normal listening levels now)

Full volume on the preamp is still well and loud, but not "my neighbors are going to kill me" loud.

TL;DR: a proper gain structure is important.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

OK hold up. Do you actually have any experience with the JBL LSR series? Because the issues I'm talking about are specific to that model range, not active monitors in general. And they're the ones I take exception to being "better than most proper hi-fi speakers."

I literally just checked this on mine, and the hiss is digital, in that it comes in at the 2nd notch (1.5) on the gain dial, and stays the same level throughout all higher gain settings. Also, it's only coming from the tweeters. This is a well known issue. The hiss is even there without any source connected! It's just the cheap class D amp that JBL uses in the LSR series.

So yeah, other powered monitors might not have the issues the LSRs do, but that says literally nothing about the LSRs.

Here's my rundown as an actual JBL LSR308 owner about the pros and cons of the line:

Pros:
- Sound good. Really good. Response is really flat, so your sound won't be hilariously colored like say a KRK Rokit would give you (definitely important for mastering/mixing, less important for music/movies/games depending on your tastes).
- Dirt fuckin' cheap. I got my pair of 308s for around what a single Yamaha HS8 streets for.

Cons:
- Cheaply made. A thin plastic molding to hold the driver and tweeter, a four-sided MDF box, and a thin metal backing plate that holds the amp. One of my power LEDs died within 10 minutes of powering them up the first time, so I opened them up to disconnect the LED lead on the other, and holy hell, there is literally nothing in there. This cheapness leads to:
- Hiss. Not super loud or anything, but definitely noticeable if they're (video) monitor distance from your sitting location and don't have any sound source playing.
- Only a single balanced input. It has TRS and XLR connections, but they're wired to the same input, so DO NOT hook two sources up to the two different jacks!

ALL THAT BEING SAID, they're still miles better than pretty much any computer speaker out there, including the Audioengine A2s I had prior to the LSRs.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 27, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is there a comparable passive speaker to the JBLs? I feel like that would fix most of your issues with them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The 305s I listened to at a local store didn't have any more hiss than other studio monitors I listened to. Maybe they're just inconsistent.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Schpyder posted:

- Only a single balanced input. It has TRS and XLR connections, but they're wired to the same input, so DO NOT hook two sources up to the two different jacks!
This is so common on studio monitors, I don't even know if it deserves a mention as a con. I mean, I understand it can be confusing coming from any other context, but still.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
What if you want an actual 5.1 setup (yeah yeah it's pointless BUT...) because you play a lot of FPS or other games where they aren't actually coded to properly localize sound unless you're in headphone mode or using some sort of 5.1/7.1 setup?

Sometimes I don't want to wear headphones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Get an AV receiver that can decode 5.1?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Are there any recommendations for 2.1 PC speakers that'll be used for gaming and listening to music? Price range is under $200. I saw some Klipsche ones at Best Buy but figured it'd be worth asking in here if anyone had any other recommendations. I like having a subwoofer.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Get the JBL lsr 305 right this minute on amazon warehouse:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00DUKP37C/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1480145931&sr=8-2&keywords=Jbl+lsr305&condition=used

Get the like new 2x for $160. Best deal ever. It could be gone at any moment.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 27, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Deal I posted got snatched up, hopefully by someone in this thread. That was such a good deal.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

The 305s I listened to at a local store didn't have any more hiss than other studio monitors I listened to. Maybe they're just inconsistent.

I experienced the same thing in my local pro audio store. Once you bring them into a very quiet home environment, you definitely notice the hissing.

The above critique is 100% correct. The cabinets and plate amp material is made with bottom barrel materials, which isn't a problem with the LSR305 since they're so small but it definitely negatively impacts the sound quality of the much larger LSR308. Me and a lot of my home studio mates use the LSR305 because you aren't going to get anything that sounds that good for under $300 USD. But they all have a significant amount of constant idle hissing from the sensitive horn tweeter that is not impacted by choice of input, input sensitivity or gain. There's absolutely nothing you can do about it, its just JBL cutting every corner to hit the same price point as Creative or Corsair 2.1 computer speaker sets.

KillHour posted:

Is there a comparable passive speaker to the JBLs? I feel like that would fix most of your issues with them.

Not really, I can't think of anything as cheap as the LSR305s that uses constant directivity. That being said Philharmonic Audio's New Affordable Accuracy Monitor is an actual alternative, being $210 not including shipping. You'd still have to find a cheap amp to use since they're passives though.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So, Massdrop is doing a drop on Kanto's Yaro 2 amp + speakers combo. Are they any good? There's not exactly a lot of talk on the internet about it. I've found exactly one video review but I'm curious if there's any goons with any experience with them.