Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rastor posted:

I'm not saying everyone can or should be a Python programmer.

You literally are though and the fact that you can't see how condescending you're being about it is pretty funny IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

greatn posted:

I think Pidgeys calc is counting extra time for you turning in your new pidgeotto for more candy. If you have enough already you can go faster.

Nope. Just tried it and it doesn't appear to. Just fwiw add 10% if you can go fast!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

drunk asian neighbor posted:

You literally are though and the fact that you can't see how condescending you're being about it is pretty funny IMO

https://esolangs.org/wiki/Pikalang

pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pika pipi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pipi pi pi
pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pipi pi pi pi pipi pi pichu pichu pichu pichu ka
chu pipi pi pi pikachu pipi pi pikachu pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pikachu
pikachu pi pi pi pikachu pipi pi pi pikachu pichu pichu pi pi pi pi pi
pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pikachu pipi pikachu pi pi pi pikachu ka
ka ka ka ka ka pikachu ka ka ka ka ka ka ka ka pikachu pipi pi pikachu
pipi pikachu

I just got a Pikachu from a 2km egg, I was surprised that was even possible!, so happy with the littel cute rat, It say pikachu in a cute voice :3

I guest, I just won the game.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Tei posted:

https://esolangs.org/wiki/Pikalang

pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pika pipi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pipi pi pi
pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pipi pi pi pi pipi pi pichu pichu pichu pichu ka
chu pipi pi pi pikachu pipi pi pikachu pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pikachu
pikachu pi pi pi pikachu pipi pi pi pikachu pichu pichu pi pi pi pi pi
pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pikachu pipi pikachu pi pi pi pikachu ka
ka ka ka ka ka pikachu ka ka ka ka ka ka ka ka pikachu pipi pi pikachu
pipi pikachu

lmao

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Okay, but I'm not and I was able to spin it up in like 3-4 minutes of poking at poo poo, and that included "huh, why's it not working?".

Plus now it asks for your API key as a variable when you deploy it so all you have to do is get an API key from google, click the "DEPLOY TO HEROKU" button, and punch your information in. I think registering an SA account is more complicated now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tei posted:

I just got a Pikachu from a 2km egg, I was surprised that was even possible!, so happy with the littel cute rat, It say pikachu in a cute voice :3

As well as rats and pidgeys and other useless poo poo the 2km eggs can hatch out any of the four starter pokemon.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Taear posted:

As well as rats and pidgeys and other useless poo poo the 2km eggs can hatch out any of the four starter pokemon.

They can, theoretically, in the same way that there's a theoretical chance for food to reconstitute itself

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I got a bulbasaur once out of a 2km egg!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
loving hell Niantic really want you to spend money on Pokecoins. Running out of balls on a near-constant basis now.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

loving hell Niantic really want you to spend money on Pokecoins. Running out of balls on a near-constant basis now.

I do not know your situation, but I live in an area with more pokemon than pokestops and so once a week or so I just drive to the nearby city, stroll around and tap the near-infinite pokestops. Plus it is good exercise and I get to try some restaurants I've been meaning to try. You may not have a city within a reasonable drive, but if you do, it's worth considering. One trip is usually enough to fill up my bags.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Drythe posted:

my 2km was a squirtle, but he was a squirtle approaching 600cp

i have eight 5kms about to hatch so i will post the results later

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

It has nothing to do with being tech phobic. Someone is explaining how to do a thing I don't understand, in terms I don't understand. But sure, teaching yourself a programming language and basically compiling your own program is just as easy as driving a car. :jerkbag:

hahahaha look at this moron who thinks basic python is harder than learning to drive a car

Seriously, brother, come on man, it's ok to not want to bother learning it or anything because it is broadly less useful than learning to drive but literally every motherfucker in this thread could get the basics if they wanted to

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Drythe posted:

having multiple skills, especially ones relating to computing, is valuable to your person in these days with an over saturated job market in most fields. It also shows you have the ability to learn things outside your chosen field, and an ability to learn looks good.

Mostly be a well rounded person rather than focusing on one narrow thing

That's not really a good example, it's just the exact kind of wishy-washy bullshit I can spin at any job interview for just about anything lol.

Coding is probably useful but at low levels it's a hobby so acting like it's a valuable life skill (which to me comes with the implication that it's something that most people need to know) is rubbing people the wrong way. Knowing how to sew is useful too but I wouldn't yell at people for being uncertain of its difficulty or not wanting to go practice sewing buttons for a while or whatever. Even children can do it! But the people coming into the thread and lording that over other people who are put off by a stereotypically "hard" sounding hobby aren't helping.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Drythe posted:

I have like 10 loving weedles

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

turtlecrunch posted:

Noooo servers can't go down I'm trying to capture an entire airport for yellow

So the planes were down so long yesterday that the servers came back up and I owned that loving airport for five minutes. :unsmigghh: YELLOW!!!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rafza posted:

my 2km was a squirtle, but he was a squirtle approaching 600cp

i have eight 5kms about to hatch so i will post the results later

:stare:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

He bought incubators

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Okay, but I'm not and I was able to spin it up in like 3-4 minutes of poking at poo poo, and that included "huh, why's it not working?".

Plus now it asks for your API key as a variable when you deploy it so all you have to do is get an API key from google, click the "DEPLOY TO HEROKU" button, and punch your information in. I think registering an SA account is more complicated now.

I'm not saying Python is hard or anything, and I'm glad you got it working so easily, but that doesn't mean it'd be easy for everyone, and it's a pretty high entry barrier, relatively speaking

I tried having this same argument in the Mini NES thread as far as "for the cost of the mini-NES and its 30 games, you can spend less money and maybe an hour of time putting together a RetroPie and have complete collections of every system from the SNES back instead" and was met with a sea of "lol if you think the average target consumer even knows what a Pi is." Personally setting up RetroPie is easy as hell, but I get it, not everybody wants to dig beneath the surface to get something working.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Prop Wash posted:

I do not know your situation, but I live in an area with more pokemon than pokestops and so once a week or so I just drive to the nearby city, stroll around and tap the near-infinite pokestops. Plus it is good exercise and I get to try some restaurants I've been meaning to try. You may not have a city within a reasonable drive, but if you do, it's worth considering. One trip is usually enough to fill up my bags.

Yeah, if you live in a small town/village your first trip to the nearby city is magical. I'm timing my first lucky egg/evolution bonanza in a way that I'll be visiting the city the day after, so I can restock on (better) items.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

GeneX posted:

He bought incubators

ten bux worth actually, but yeah

mostly because my birthday is coming up and im planning a full day trip this weekend so i want to hatch a lot of things, get more eggs and hatch them too

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Clocks posted:

That's not really a good example, it's just the exact kind of wishy-washy bullshit I can spin at any job interview for just about anything lol.

Coding is probably useful but at low levels it's a hobby so acting like it's a valuable life skill (which to me comes with the implication that it's something that most people need to know) is rubbing people the wrong way. Knowing how to sew is useful too but I wouldn't yell at people for being uncertain of its difficulty or not wanting to go practice sewing buttons for a while or whatever. Even children can do it! But the people coming into the thread and lording that over other people who are put off by a stereotypically "hard" sounding hobby aren't helping.

Actually being able to know how coding works is important, either you can eliminate the need a person to communicate between your business users and IT staff, or you can be that person. And that person always makes a gently caress load of money.

Also being able to tell our business guys, hey if this value is null its gonna break poo poo, is your business case ever gonna have that happen? and not having to explain poo poo to them is great.

They are also able to write their own reports for things so we don't have to spend time doing it for them, and thus their managers like them better since they are using less of our resources than other staff.

Communications team being able to understand html for the web pages is also great since they can do basic things on their own.

Marketing understanding javascript and html is useful since they can make their own advertisement emails, track metrics, etc is also valuable.

Coding/Programming encompasses more than making a page output hello world

One of my friends specifically in Marketting got a new job at a very large pay raise since he self taught himself javascript and html or whatever it was he said he uses. gently caress if i know what marketting people do

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I got a Lickitung and an Exeggcute out of 5km eggs, initially I was a bit bummed but apparently Exeggutor is one of the best pokemon in the game right now so :v:

So how does CP work with levelling? I know it scales up as you level up, but does it match with wild pokemon? That is, if I catch a Snorlax at level 5, will it be as strong when I hit level 15 as a Snorlax I caught at level 15? Does it matter if I power them up earlier or later? I have a few decent Pokemon but I'm not sure if I should stick with them or wait to catch a better version of the same Pokemon. Vileplume, for example, apparently ranks decently highly, but I'm not sure if the 120CP Vileplume I caught at level 6 is worth pursuing, and if it is I'm not sure if I should be powering it up now or later.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Rafza posted:

ten bux worth actually, but yeah

mostly because my birthday is coming up and im planning a full day trip this weekend so i want to hatch a lot of things, get more eggs and hatch them too

behold

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

that shits gonna hatch before the weekend yo

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Drythe posted:

that shits gonna hatch before the weekend yo

i'm heading to highbanks this afternoon for more charmanders, i assume i'll fill my egg inventory up before then

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Drythe posted:

One of my friends specifically in Marketting got a new job at a very large pay raise since he self taught himself javascript and html or whatever it was he said he uses. gently caress if i know what marketting people do

Amateur blogger > Wordpress freelancer?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I got a Poliwag and a Nidoran out of my 5 km eggs. Zzz

I saw a silhouette of an Ivysaur but never found him. More like BYEvysaur :qq:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

Amateur blogger > Wordpress freelancer?

I dunno, he does marketting for like pharmaceuticals or something now. Marketting is so boring to me i barely pay attention to the details he talks about

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Do these IV calculators even take into account moveset? I have some poo poo pokemon with high HP, but poo poo moveset.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Not if its one that's just calculating an IV value, no. Moveset > IVs also

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
All the Python in the world didn't stop this game from locking up literally every time it goes into battery saver mode. I swear it wasn't this bad before today.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

If you are on android try that go extender app

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Macaluso posted:

I got a Poliwag and a Nidoran out of my 5 km eggs. Zzz

I saw a silhouette of an Ivysaur but never found him. More like BYEvysaur :qq:

This is why pokevision.com is such a blessing until they fix the tracking. Speaking of which:

4 minutes of walking to get there, but no way I would be able to contain it with regular pokeballs. drat.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

You might, don't just not try you quitter :colbert:

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

If you have a friend you trust that lives or work in a pokestop rich environment you could always have them log in as you and farm some poke balls.
I do this for my wife she worked in a deadline and the building i work at is historical so i don't have to leave my desk to hit a pokestop. I log in for an hour a work day, for 12 rolls a day.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I finally got out to experience a real Pokestop farm, so crazy to see so many people just walking laps around the park. Even got a lure farm started :)

In about 2 hours I caught 115 Pokemon lol

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Another anecdote nobody cares about:

I'm now ~14/18 for Eevee name trick. The most recent 2 mistakes were named properly well in advance of evolving with a few app logoffs to allow the server to sync.

It's a good bet but not guaranteed (might be guaranteed for your first time evolving?)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

This is the way to go.

Except for the fact that my screen currently has 4 2km eggs that are un-incubated.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So how does CP work with levelling? I know it scales up as you level up, but does it match with wild pokemon? That is, if I catch a Snorlax at level 5, will it be as strong when I hit level 15 as a Snorlax I caught at level 15? Does it matter if I power them up earlier or later? I have a few decent Pokemon but I'm not sure if I should stick with them or wait to catch a better version of the same Pokemon. Vileplume, for example, apparently ranks decently highly, but I'm not sure if the 120CP Vileplume I caught at level 6 is worth pursuing, and if it is I'm not sure if I should be powering it up now or later.

The Snorlax from level 5 would have the same potential cap (IVs excluded) at level 15 as one caught at level 15; the latter is just likely to come with higher CP when you catch it, so you'd need more Stardust and candy to get the first one up to par. They could both be equally strong with enough time/dust/candy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Licarn posted:

US politicians asking the important questions:

https://democrats-energycommerce.ho....2016.07.19.pdf

Pity they didn't ask them about the servers being down all the time too.

Al Franken was already pooping himself in one of his committees earlier over the app access for apple devices since it asked for more than the google app.

Clocks posted:

Legit curious, how is basic python (or coding, I guess) a "valuable life skill"? Like I'm not even joking. It's come up here in regards to cheating at pokemon and is also applicable to my real life in the following ways: _____ ? :confused:

If you do work on a computer, you can learn some basic python to automate or speed up some things you do. If you can do formulas and harder things in excel, you're more than qualified to do basic things in python. If you can't do formulas or harder things in excel, you can still probably learn python.

You don't even have to install it to learn it
http://www.learnpython.org/

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 21, 2016

• Locked thread