Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kayakyakr posted:

With the ACC's new deal and seemingly greater stability, it's either expand and try to stay alive or stay pat and know that if any of the 4 other major conferences wants to go to 16, you're going to be the conference that they target.

While the options out there aren't the most appealing, the thought has become that the Big XII can bring a team upward like the Big Ten is trying to do with Rutgers and Maryland. The pickings are slim, but there are a few teams that fit the mold. The good thing is that the Big XII is top-heavy with only ISU and Kansas being perennial cellar dwellers. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have a few new schools to beat up on.

I agree that the Big 12 is in a vulnerable position, but I think it's stupid for the decision makers to think that the conference is going to get better by getting worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

I agree that the Big 12 is in a vulnerable position, but I think it's stupid for the decision makers to think that the conference is going to get better by getting worse.

It's either get worse or get dead. There are no other options.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Big Ten never brought in Rutgers and Maryland hoping they'd make the conference better (for football, anyway). The sole reason was getting the NYC and Washington DC television markets for BTN, which in turn is bringing a shitload more revenue into the schools. Even if nobody in either market actually watches it, just being available to all those TVs is an enormous gain.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

The Big Ten never brought in Rutgers and Maryland hoping they'd make the conference better (for football, anyway). The sole reason was getting the NYC and Washington DC television markets for BTN, which in turn is bringing a shitload more revenue into the schools. Even if nobody in either market actually watches it, just being available to all those TVs is an enormous gain.

Which is why UConn is being considered. And UCF (big school in a big and growing city in a big state).

Schools with market and potential.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Big 12 as currently constituted has no conference network and is dead the day Texas or OU decides to leave, not before or after.

A 14 team Big 12 with Cincy, UCF, USF, and UConn/Memphis/whatever has no conference network and is dead the day Texas or OU decides to leave, not before or after.

Another thing to consider is that when the cable bubble bursts and everything is about streaming services, the quality of the content that a conference provides is going to be much more important than its geographic footprint. Regardless of where the viewers live, the only question that will matter is whether or not they want to watch your games.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 20, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You can't have a conference network with only 10 teams. Almost all the games are televised nationally as it is!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CaptainYesterday posted:

You can't have a conference network with only 10 teams. Almost all the games are televised nationally as it is!

Yeah, but the point is that 1)LHN is a big obstacle to the establishment of a conference network no matter what and 2) if expanding to 12 or 14 just means adding a pu pu platter of non-Houston AAC teams, then the slate of tier 3 games that they'll be peddling will be worthless dogshit anyway. I guess you can count on ESPN overpaying for those rights anyway to maintain their monopoly, but that gain is diluted by having to split the revenue 14 ways.

Imagine someone calling up Time Warner Cable, demanding that they add the B14Net so they don't miss the Kansas State-Memphis game.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 20, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm holding out a vain hope that the Big XII is just bluffing in an attempt to get their current contract reworked and extended, since if they expand the networks are on the hook for up to a billion dollars that they might not actually have.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

The Big 12 as currently constituted has no conference network and is dead the day Texas or OU decides to leave, not before or after.

So is your point that everyone should just grab what cash they can before things crumble apart? Because the second it's more profitable for Texas to leave they're gone.

At the very least adding 'worthless dogshit' lets you maybe have a 'worthless dogshit' conference after Texas ditches you.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like you could make a case that the two Florida schools, Cincy and Memphis have an upside that could lead to good things eventually, but you're totally right that such a conference would live and die by how much money the next alternative can offer Texas/OU.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Multiple people on Twitter are saying Texas is trying to block an extension of the Big 12 GoR.

Where's a GIF of that fire-breathing bug from Family Guy whispering "Good... Good..." when I need it?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

So is your point that everyone should just grab what cash they can before things crumble apart? Because the second it's more profitable for Texas to leave they're gone.

At the very least adding 'worthless dogshit' lets you maybe have a 'worthless dogshit' conference after Texas ditches you.

My point is that adding teams isn't going to make the conference any more likely to survive if Texas leaves.

If we were talking about adding Arkansas and LSU, or he'll even BYU and CU it would be different, but Cincy, bless their souls, isn't changing anything.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sometimes I forget the AAC is even a thing

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Fred Smith, the CEO of FedEx said that FedEx would sign a long-term Big 12 title game sponsorship deal if the Big 12 picks Memphis.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Multiple people on Twitter are saying Texas is trying to block an extension of the Big 12 GoR.

Where's a GIF of that fire-breathing bug from Family Guy whispering "Good... Good..." when I need it?

What's that mean? Blocking expansion? Preparing to light the whole conference ablaze?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

PostNouveau posted:

What's that mean? Blocking expansion? Preparing to light the whole conference ablaze?

I don't know if an extension to the GoR has even been proposed, but a bunch of people are saying that Texas is opposed to the idea. Presumably it means they want out of the conference by 2025 or sooner.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I know everyone's all hot and bothered by the AAC, but have you considered...

MACTION?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I've considered Ohio instead of Cincinnati.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

?

mercenarynuker posted:

I know everyone's all hot and bothered by the AAC, but have you considered...

MACTION?

I think Northern Illinois contacted the Big 12 about joining.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NIU gets kicked around every once in a while for other conferences but they were a complete unknown until 1998 or so, and their football prominence has only been in the last 10-12 years. All their other sports are afterthoughts.

it wouldn't surprise me if they did indeed reach out to the B12 but I have a hard time seeing them go.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I didn't want the Big 12 to blow up in the first place, but it did. Settling on a 10-team round-robin with TCU and West Virginia was acceptable.

I really, really didn't want a conference title game, and we're getting that.

I really don't want to expand by adding driftwood and ruin the round-robin, but that's nearly certain now.

I kinda hope Texas is able to sabotage a new GoR so OU can get the hell out of here, the Big 12 is dead. I didn't want it to happen, but it's happening.

Problem is, I wish OU would go to the Big 10 or Pac-12, but they'll wind up in the SEC.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

General Dog posted:

I don't see how adding 2-4 programs that are going to be absolute dead weight adds either value or stability to the Big 12. They've already been cleared to hold a championship game, which is stupid but fine, they get another check to split 10 ways. Even if you jump to 12 or 14, a conference network is still going to be a non-starter as long as LHN is out there.

The Big 12 media deals have pro-rata increases for new members. So say you get $25m per member. Add 4 teams and you get an additional $100m to play with. Give each new member $15m of that and save the other $10m for the original 10 teams and you get an extra $8m per team for the original 10 and the new 4 members are happy with increased prestige and significantly increased income.

e: Also reports from OU/UT reporters are that OU and UT are adamantly against any extension of the grant of rights at this point, but are for expansion. Which lends some credit to the whole fleece the media with pro-rata increases while we can and then leave as soon as the deals are up theory.

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 21, 2016

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
For what it's worth here is my preference:

Houston
Colorado State
BYU (football only)
Boise State (football only)

Gain a big presence in the Mountain time zone, add two strong football schools with significant national followings that don't bring much else (BYU has good bball, but significant issues with scheduling/Boise isn't worth poo poo in other sports), add two more schools on the periphery of current Big 12 that are poised to take a big step up with P5 status.

I could be convinced to swap CSU for someone else, but frankly WVU can gently caress off with their travel partner whining.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Houston
Colorado State
BYU (football only)

Gain a big presence in the Mountain time zone, add two strong football schools with significant national followings that don't bring much else (BYU has good bball, but significant issues with scheduling/Boise isn't worth poo poo in other sports), add two more schools on the periphery of current Big 12 that are poised to take a big step up with P5 status.

I could be convinced to swap CSU for someone else, but frankly WVU can gently caress off with their travel partner whining.

It would be interesting to see what Boise would do with all their other sports

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
god dammit I will not abide longhorns playing on smurf turf it is the most bush league poo poo ever it cheapens everything and everyone involved

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Thermos H Christ posted:

god dammit I will not abide longhorns playing on smurf turf it is the most bush league poo poo ever it cheapens everything and everyone involved

Y'all can't even keep up real grass so you don't get to complain!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
there are people still mad about the blue turf in 2016 lmao

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

gently caress boise state

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Houston
Colorado State
BYU (football only)

I'm not sure why BYU as a football-only affiliate hasn't been brought up more. Their other sports already have a home, so it wouldn't really be an issue for them, and the Big 12's (perceived) imperative to expand really only applies to football anyway. I know adding full members is preferable in a vacuum, but BYU is head and shoulders above the competition as far as fanbase, brand, and competitive floor.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BYU got themselves a pretty great deal with ESPN for all their home games (and most of their away, it seems like) now that they're independent. I could definitely see them wanting to pull back on travel though because holy hell they are all over the map this season.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bad UCLA coach thinks UCLA should go to Big 12.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/platfor...2?client=safari

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

"KIM JONG TRILL" posted:

e: Also reports from OU/UT reporters are that OU and UT are adamantly against any extension of the grant of rights at this point, but are for expansion. Which lends some credit to the whole fleece the media with pro-rata increases while we can and then leave as soon as the deals are up theory.

I am slowly accepting the inevitable. We're going to the SEC together in a decade.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I hope Maryland does the state flag on their turf in addition to their helmets

Also I hope Houston goes in the big 12 but that's not going to happen

Or rebuild the SWC

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MourningView posted:

but it acts as ~*camouflage*~, that's the only possible explanation of my team getting its rear end handed to it by a bunch of fucks from idaho

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I am slowly accepting the inevitable. We're going to the SEC together in a decade.

I think Texas still thinks it's too highbrow for the SEC. If they move I still think it would be to be the PAC, because they've flirted with it several times, and also where else is the PAC going to expand?

If the cable bubble bursts before the GOR is up there's no telling what will happen. The Big 12 might be more palatable in that world.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's a clever idea to play around with, inlight of the DirecTV/P12net thing falling through, but yeah the odds of that happening in reality are zero.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

General Dog posted:

If they move I still think it would be to be the PAC, because they've flirted with it several times, and also where else is the PAC going to expand?

*raises paw*

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

I'm not currently mad because I never have to look at it, but I would be annoyed if I had to watch B12 games played on it. I just hate looking at it for prolonged periods of time. It is grating to the eyes.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I want Memphis to the Big XII so I will have a rooting interest because it seems like the conference race has been pretty exciting recently because there are like 10 teams who have a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Ross Angeles posted:

*raises paw*

SDSU in the PAC is like HOU in BXII. They make sense in the footprint but do not add new tvs. If/when the Power 4-5 all move to 16 teams, PAC is limited to who they can take in due to geography. If it's Texas +3 other TEX/OK teams to bring Texas they do that. If it's 4 random schools west of the Rockies/Mississippi, then SDSU is a likely in.

E: In 2024, I believe either Tex/TXT/OK/OKst or SDSU/UNLV/NMX/FresnoSt will be in the PAC16.

• Locked thread