Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Naval Action aside, are there any good grog games for the Age of Sail? Fleet actions are fine, but I'm more itching for a pipedream along the lines of "Silent Hunter: Wooden Ships Edition"

That Pirates of the Caribbean game with the New Horizons mod is literally that. It's perfect for what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My LP may not convey that very well though since I've been loving about on land. New update today or tomorrow btw.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Battle of the Bulge has been good so far. Some of the UI is very confusing, and many rules are not explained very clearly, but the game does offer grog-shots, and is fun. The graphics are pretty in a simple way.

I wish there was 2v2, especially with AI options. And the game could start a bit faster on iPhone 6, since often you might know what you are gonna do on your turn, and you just wanna click it. Also, no option to play in portrait mode, which is a downside when you are walking at the same time.

Also, no iOS-native notifications for your turn, only email. This might be the biggest drawback.
I bought the whole bundle, so looking to try eastern front and Afrika with wife, too.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The game was originally built for iOS and used to have native notifications. Then they built a PC version and backported it to iOS, overwriting the original version and removing the custom iOS features!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That Pirates of the Caribbean game with the New Horizons mod is literally that. It's perfect for what you're looking for.

Yeah it looks promising but it is on neither Steam nor GoG and thus might as well not exist. Finding a cheap physical copy would be a pain and I am too :effort: and out of touch to obtain it other ways.

A few of the other games in the Corsairs series are available on Steam/GoG. Are they any good/modded?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

V for Vegas posted:

The game was originally built for iOS and used to have native notifications. Then they built a PC version and backported it to iOS, overwriting the original version and removing the custom iOS features!

I love grognard games.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
gently caress this genre! :bahgawd:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
The entire Codename:Panzers bundle is 75% off on Steam. Is it worth getting?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Should I be excited for the new order of battle campaign?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Anyone know of any good grog games that cover the iran-iraq war?

Nuramor posted:

The entire Codename:Panzers bundle is 75% off on Steam. Is it worth getting?

I didn't care for it - very RTS-y. If I want RTS ww2 COH does it better

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DOMDOM posted:

Anyone know of any good grog games that cover the iran-iraq war?

I didn't care for it - very RTS-y. If I want RTS ww2 COH does it better

Graviteam Tactics Operation Star has Iran/Iraq DLC

Steel Armor has iran/iraq and a DLC for basra 86

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Stairmaster posted:

Should I be excited for the new order of battle campaign?

If they actually make proper use of the army modifiers or 'unique abilities' as well as having a decent mix of missions (and maps to play on)? I'd say yes.

If you don't like their supply system, and I believe you can play the training 'campaign' to get a feel for the game, then you won't like the game.

EDIT: YOU CAN TRY WINTER WAR FOR FREE... but its not available for purchase :cripes:

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 21, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That almost makes sense but the store page it links to doesn't have a price tag...

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
is AGEOD Civil War fun

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

tatankatonk posted:

is AGEOD Civil War fun

No.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I finally sat down and played through the CMANO tutorials, then I set up a Final Countdown scenario and Walleyed the Mobile Unit to death. A++ would violate causality again. (I wish the Yamato was in so I could pit it against the modernized Iowa though.)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Stairmaster posted:

That almost makes sense but the store page it links to doesn't have a price tag...

Yeah, I have no clue why they don't have the DLC up for sale yet :shrug:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

is AGEOD Civil War fun

As with all AGEOD games, if you like the setting then yes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If they actually make proper use of the army modifiers or 'unique abilities' as well as having a decent mix of missions (and maps to play on)? I'd say yes.

If you don't like their supply system, and I believe you can play the training 'campaign' to get a feel for the game, then you won't like the game.

EDIT: YOU CAN TRY WINTER WAR FOR FREE... but its not available for purchase :cripes:

You can play the training stuff and the first mission of every campaign. It''s a good game.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Graviteam Tactics Operation Star has Iran/Iraq DLC

Steel Armor has iran/iraq and a DLC for basra 86

The Graviteam DLC is actually Iran vs. Russia in Afghanistan 1979 IIRC, not Iran v. Iraq.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

tatankatonk posted:

is AGEOD Civil War fun

I liked 1 ok but I really hated two. The AI is terrible and it is very easy to take DC/Richmond.

You also have some interesting strategic decisions as the south you don't often see in ageod games. Factories vs blockade runners and forts vs armies.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 21, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

uPen posted:

You can play the training stuff and the first mission of every campaign. It''s a good game.

Its definitely a good game, but I always suggest trying or watching someone play with the supply system. Its a huge difference on Panzer Corps (which I think is a little more accessible) and enough of one to merit caution.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Forums Terrorist posted:

I finally sat down and played through the CMANO tutorials, then I set up a Final Countdown scenario and Walleyed the Mobile Unit to death. A++ would violate causality again. (I wish the Yamato was in so I could pit it against the modernized Iowa though.)

Wait, does CMANO cover WW2 naval stuff? Because I've long wished for something like a Jane's Fleet Command cross-bred with Carriers at War with support for complete hypothetical engagements, like the USS Ranger and the USS Wasp against the KMS Graf Zeppelin and KMS Peter Strasser off the coast of Liberia or something.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wait, does CMANO cover WW2 naval stuff? Because I've long wished for something like a Jane's Fleet Command cross-bred with Carriers at War with support for complete hypothetical engagements, like the USS Ranger and the USS Wasp against the KMS Graf Zeppelin and KMS Peter Strasser off the coast of Liberia or something.

I think the latest database update adds in late war stuff.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Steel Panthers MBT has some Iran Iraq missions preloaded. Think there is or was a campaign floating around as well

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
OoB: Winter War just launched

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FastestGunAlive posted:

Steel Panthers MBT has some Iran Iraq missions preloaded. Think there is or was a campaign floating around as well

Protip please never play SPMBT

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

OoB: Winter War just launched

Yes. I bought it and it sure is... more OoB. Not much to differentiate it from the other ones, though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Phi230 posted:

literally all it needs is to get rid of igoyougo and it'd be the perfect wargame.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Can somebody remake Sierra's Civil War Generals 2 already? The whole Panzer Corps and Order of Battle success stories have shown that the market's out there for attractive, reasonably simple hex-based, turn-based 90's gameplay-assed homages to old games, I want this one already, goddammit.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A slick, Order of Battle style remake of Age of Rifles would be incredible.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Phi230 posted:

What's wrong with it, I forget

I remember playing it off and on over the years cuz it's ancient and there's been a few funny LPs of it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ATGM's triggering Interrupts during movement were really annoying, but then again so were tanks getting interrupts and allowing evasive-maneuvers on totally flat ground.

ATGM's were probably the biggest problem in general sadly.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
What about the WW2 one, in that case? :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I enjoyed it. Managing movement of the sheer number of units one-by-one every turn also sucked, but that must've been an engine hardcoded thing given its age.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gamerofthegame posted:

What's wrong with it, I forget

I remember playing it off and on over the years cuz it's ancient and there's been a few funny LPs of it.

Imagine you have a platoon of T-72s cresting a hill on the flank of a few ATGM teams and an enemy Abrams platoon.

You crest the hill, and you are spotted by every single enemy on the line you are flanking.

It is your turn, yet every single hex you move, you are shot at by every single enemy on the line.

Also god loving help you if you call in artillery, or aircraft. Aircraft especially. Have fun getting shot at by every single man and weapon in the enemy force before your plane even sees the target.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Imagine you have a platoon of T-72s cresting a hill on the flank of a few ATGM teams and an enemy Abrams platoon.

You crest the hill, and you are spotted by every single enemy on the line you are flanking.

It is your turn, yet every single hex you move, you are shot at by every single enemy on the line.

Also god loving help you if you call in artillery, or aircraft. Aircraft especially. Have fun getting shot at by every single man and weapon in the enemy force before your plane even sees the target.

Yeah, the whole "soldier fires rifle at thing he can neither hit nor hurt" x 999 is what turned me of the entire series.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Yeah, the whole "soldier fires rifle at thing he can neither hit nor hurt" x 999 is what turned me of the entire series.

Not to mention every time someone decides to shoot an M1A2 in the front with an AK47 it pauses for a couple seconds and plays that drat ricochet sound effect. Turns take ages.

The game would be improved by an order of magnitude if units were more intelligent about what weapons they used on what targets.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
At one point, I could have sworn that either SPMBT/WW2 or SPWAW had an option to set the range for unit weapons so they didn't piss away all their ammo with long-rang/low-probability shots - am I just insane, or thinking of a different game?

If you *really* want to see stupid-long action phases in MBT, turn on unlimited ammo and throw in a few air attacks - I've had bombruns that started six hexes from one map edge, and continued through *every* *single* *hex* to the other map edge. :black101:

(Kinda sucked if you'd been attacking a buildup on enemy force from behind and the Arc Light just rolled through your main line of resistance, though.)

Other goofy MBT stuff: FLASH launchers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M202_FLASH) apparently fill an entire 50-meter hex with a WALL OF DEATH FIRE, and will totally buttfuck everything stacked there with splash damage - I've had shots that kill or mobility/morale-kill 6+ modern Soviet tanks and 4 or more APCs plus either destroying or routing onboard or deployed infantry with 40-70% casualties. Regular flamethrowers or napalm runs are also silly-destructive, but not on that scale - and the FLASH units are so cheap, may as well just grab a few on the way out of the purchase screen, right? :v:

Even better, attacking into a burning hex eats morale, and fires *can* spread. :supaburn:

(Been years since I played MBT, though, so maybe these issues have been adjusted since then.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
SPMBT would be a great game to remake, polish, and drop all the poo poo