Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nash posted:

Why is this? I've had both empire and dwarves run to the north when down to their last stack and no cities. They get stomped by some random Varg usually.

I had some fucker Varg stack pulling the classic "two inches out of your reach" game when it got tackled by a lone Dwarf lord from some dead, gay clan remnant. It initiated a battle with me as reinforcements so he basically caught the Vargs on my behalf. When the battle started he didn't even wait for me and just ran headlong into the Varg army. He routed a unit of marauders on his own and was halfway through the second when he apparently decided he'd had enough and simply walked off the battlefield still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

What exactly determines raiding income? Sometimes it's really high even in butt-gently caress nowhere and sometimes it's really low even reasonably close to the center of a faction.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Has anyone figured out how to add more actual artillery units to a unit while modding with the Assembly Kit? It seems you can add more squad members, but I haven't been able to find anything about the number of cannons/mortars/grots with hang-gliders.

I've wanted to make it rain mortar fire upon my foes in a great destructive hurricane, ever since that happened to me when a defending army parked an entire stack full of 'em in the capital I was attacking.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
The only good thing about naval double time stance is in an Empire game where you can raise stacks in Altdorf and then ferry them by the rivers out to where you need them

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm actually kinda excited for them possibly adding naval combat. It has been pretty garbage in their other games but I think adding krakens and stuff will spice it up nicely.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How are you supposed to play Empire? Cause I feel like I didn't at all in this game.

I conquered the Secessionists within the first 3-4 turns thanks to building a new army/conquering behind that initial army. Did the ambush quest, then Bretonnia invited me to their war against Marienburg. Took that easily, and Nordlands declared on me. So I took their lands easily as well. Then Ostland/Ostermark declared on me, so I took their lands as well. Talabecland stayed my ally throughout, and by the end of it I was able to Confederation them.

I then basically sat around unable to do anything for the next 30 turns. I was on great terms with Nuln, Stirland, and Averland, but none wanted to even form basic Alliances with me, let alone join a Confederation. I eventually got a quest to conquer Middenland, which I just declared on them because why not, but that got all the Dwarfs/Bretonnians to lose a ton of respect for me and drop the various nonaggression pacts I had with them. Eventually the Vampire Lords declared war on me, and I basically crushed them within the first 5 turns of them declaring on me, because ???? I own 90% of the Empire.

What are you supposed to do? Declaring on the various Elector Counts feels.....off, and is kind of oddly easy. Forming Alliances with them only gets you so far, and even if you use Military Alliances to quickly beat the Vampire Counts/help against the Greenskins, you still end up with a ton of various Elector Counts/Provinces that aren't allied to you at all. Being the Empire but being locked into Reikland feels so odd, really the whole thing feels odd. I've basically got the strongest forces I've ever had, and I feel like I'm playing the game wrong.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The last 20 turns of the chaos campaign was chasing a 1 HP empire lord as he sailed to the north of the map.

It's like the ending of Frankenstein.

Rookersh posted:

How are you supposed to play Empire? Cause I feel like I didn't at all in this game.

I conquered the Secessionists within the first 3-4 turns thanks to building a new army/conquering behind that initial army. Did the ambush quest, then Bretonnia invited me to their war against Marienburg. Took that easily, and Nordlands declared on me. So I took their lands easily as well. Then Ostland/Ostermark declared on me, so I took their lands as well. Talabecland stayed my ally throughout, and by the end of it I was able to Confederation them.

I then basically sat around unable to do anything for the next 30 turns. I was on great terms with Nuln, Stirland, and Averland, but none wanted to even form basic Alliances with me, let alone join a Confederation. I eventually got a quest to conquer Middenland, which I just declared on them because why not, but that got all the Dwarfs/Bretonnians to lose a ton of respect for me and drop the various nonaggression pacts I had with them. Eventually the Vampire Lords declared war on me, and I basically crushed them within the first 5 turns of them declaring on me, because ???? I own 90% of the Empire.

What are you supposed to do? Declaring on the various Elector Counts feels.....off, and is kind of oddly easy. Forming Alliances with them only gets you so far, and even if you use Military Alliances to quickly beat the Vampire Counts/help against the Greenskins, you still end up with a ton of various Elector Counts/Provinces that aren't allied to you at all. Being the Empire but being locked into Reikland feels so odd, really the whole thing feels odd. I've basically got the strongest forces I've ever had, and I feel like I'm playing the game wrong.

I've gone through two empire campaigns so far, and feel like there is alot more flexable in how you can choose to develop. You can use trade/alliances and directly control very little territory, steam roll across the minor factions, or some mix. Either way, you or the other empire provinces are going to be first hit by the Chaos invasion, so you should keep what you are going to do when it starts in mind.. When there are hostile armies in other factions territories, they are far more open to alliances, vasselization, and confederation.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I keep seeing people use LD as a term in this, what's that mean? AP = Armor Piercing right?

LD = Line Defense?

Also, this video changed the way i play this game dramatically, way less pausing and positioning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAzA9FmP76U

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So what's the quickest people have completed the game? Just finished a Hard Chaos short victory in 41 turns.

White Legs
Apr 24, 2006

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price." :911:
Has anyone dealt with the game just no longer launching. Every time I try to launch the launcher, it just immediately closes and says "Total War Launcher has stopped working" . Game was working perfectly fine for months and I can't think of anything that triggered it. I've tried just about every 'Fix' I've come across, I've reinstalled from a backup, redownloaded from scratch, removed folders and verified the cache, rolled back drivers, rolled back patches, changed language. But they all just crash at the launcher doing the same thing.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

LD is short for Leadership, aka the Morale of each unit. It's the same acronym the Warhammer tabletop used for the stat.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fangz posted:

So what's the quickest people have completed the game? Just finished a Hard Chaos short victory in 41 turns.

My top time is 8:48:35 for an All Factions Run. I gotta cut off at least another two minutes during the Archeon Invasion stage. I got some new routes I'm gonna try though and I hear there is a new frameskip in the Bloodpine Woods battle so I'm gonna check that out.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

My top time is 8:48:35 for an All Factions Run. I gotta cut off at least another two minutes during the Archeon Invasion stage. I got some new routes I'm gonna try though and I hear there is a new frameskip in the Bloodpine Woods battle so I'm gonna check that out.

I'll be one of the autists clapping during load screens to help keep you hyped.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

if you crouch jump into altdorf's barracks you can sequence break all the way to the vampire counts annexation

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Babe Magnet posted:

if you crouch jump into altdorf's barracks you can sequence break all the way to the vampire counts annexation

the rooftops are great for surfing on, let you skip from altdorf right up to kislev

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

But only if you haven't installed the blood dlc, they patched it for dlc users for some reason. loving fascists.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Holy moly I need some tips on how to play sieges as the attacker more effectively. I win, but I do about twice as bad as auto-resolve would have me do. I just feel like my troops take a huge pounding from the arrow towers that already puts me at about the losses auto-resolves would give me by the time I even start climbing the walls. I'm playing Empire and I have mortars unlocked.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Megasabin posted:

Holy moly I need some tips on how to play sieges as the attacker more effectively. I win, but I do about twice as bad as auto-resolve would have me do. I just feel like my troops take a huge pounding from the arrow towers that already puts me at about the losses auto-resolves would give me by the time I even start climbing the walls. I'm playing Empire and I have mortars unlocked.

The auto-resolve doesn't take the damage from towers into account. Beyond a static "With walls and no siege, you have this level chance to win."

Basically if you took the time to build towers to protect your guys and took like 4-6 turns preparing, you would do well, but that's a tonne of investment for little gain.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If you want to siege effectively you need to build towers and stay out of the way of enemy arrow towers. That or send a monster to break the gate down quickly. Either way you'll want to have some kind of elite infantry up on the walls to win that part of the fight.

(If you're the Empire you can just use cannons to kill Towers, Dwarfs don't give a gently caress.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

As Undead I like to smash the walls with a Banshee on the strategic map, then just pour my forces through the breaches and go for the plaza. Ignore the troops on the walls, they can come to me (or not. Sometimes they don't and I win without fighting them).

As Dwarves destroy the towers with your artillery then line up your quarrelers and eliminate the enemy troops. March in once resistance has ceased.

I didn't find a good strategy as Empire, although the one time I had a whole bunch of Steam Tanks in my army worked really well.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
With orcs, stick goblins at the front of the army and the towers will focus them and their shields instead of something more valuable.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Don't look at auto resolve for any indication of how a manual resolve would turn out, auto resolve is a broken pile of garbage that takes very little into account beyond lord level and troop count.
The more you auto resolve, the easier you are making your campaign, messing up the perception you may have on how some actual matchups would be in difficulty.

Something I keep seeing posted in the thread is "Auto resolve told me easy victory but I get my rear end handed to me if I try fight manualy", its not like you are playing way worse then the game would, auto resolve just doesn't play the same game is all.

If you want to have any sort of challenge in the game, then use auto resolve as little as possible, while on the flip side, if you want to super easy mode then you can cheese the campaign real bad by auto resolving throughout 90% of it no matter what difficulty.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like chaos corruption should stick around in provinces chaos has razed, the mechanic never seems to come up because empty provinces just lose all their corruption.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Steam Tanks are the best chariots. Who here agrees with my objectively correct opinion?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
All the beastman previews and I don't see anything that would stop you from making a massive horde and just auto resolving to victory with 4+ hordes stacked together and doing whatever with the free waargh stacks.

Who cares if your income tanks so long as the sacking keeps you afloat between reaching new cities to sack?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 21, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMOqfsBzqLU

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

White Legs posted:

Has anyone dealt with the game just no longer launching. Every time I try to launch the launcher, it just immediately closes and says "Total War Launcher has stopped working" . Game was working perfectly fine for months and I can't think of anything that triggered it. I've tried just about every 'Fix' I've come across, I've reinstalled from a backup, redownloaded from scratch, removed folders and verified the cache, rolled back drivers, rolled back patches, changed language. But they all just crash at the launcher doing the same thing.

Tried unsubbing from any mods you're using? Dunno if that would make a difference but might be worth a shot.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frankly I'd prefer auto resolve to be disabled by default except for one sided massacres. Sure it's more tedious but but the strategic layer alone is a pretty sucky game and auto resolve leads to me clicking to victory when I really should just stop and do something else.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Nordland just agreed to join a war against me along side Orcs.

Lot of suckers asking for a hammering.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Something else posted with the video to head off questions:

quote:

"Hey so just a bit of clarification, this is a subterranean battle, that's why it's a linear subterranean fight, similar to other subterranean battles. An ambush battle using the beast-path is different to this. During an ambush, troops will be lined up along side the enemy who are marching in a particular direction. They start very close to the enemy, about 150 meters away I'd say, giving them little time to react. There's multiple ambush battle maps in the beast-paths and multiple linear subterranean maps."

Also, noticed that this was a custom battle but the spellcasters didn't have their full spell selection-Lord/Hero customization confirmed in the next patch? I think I saw a scroll on Malagor too, so if you can take magic items now that would be pretty great.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nanomashoes posted:

I feel like chaos corruption should stick around in provinces chaos has razed, the mechanic never seems to come up because

You are talking nonsense because it already works exactly as you describe. Settlements razed by Chaos get a little warp-gate looking thing that stays indefinitely (until someone re-colonizes) that generates corruption.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Summoning a Feral Manticore was cool, I wonder if that spell can summon anything else.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Chomp8645 posted:

You are talking nonsense because it already works exactly as you describe. Settlements razed by Chaos get a little warp-gate looking thing that stays indefinitely (until someone re-colonizes) that generates corruption.

I wish Vampires got this, TBH. I think anyone dependant on corruption should be able to leave little creep colonies when they raze.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Summoning a Feral Manticore was cool, I wonder if that spell can summon anything else.

That seems quite possible, since there's not really any other obvious functionality for its overcharged version. In the TT game's version of the spell, the other options are a chimera, a hydra, or a dragon. Since they already have the animations for a dragon, that last option seems the most likely if they go that route. They'd have to make a non-zombified dragon model, but they'd need to do that eventually anyway.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah they're probably going to add the Imperial Dragon one day, I hope.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Onmi posted:

Nordland just agreed to join a war against me along side Orcs.

Lot of suckers asking for a hammering.

In my brief attempt to play Empire Karak Ziflin declared on me then called in Parravon. Shortly after that (without a shot being fired) Ziflin peaced out and I killed Parravon. Immediately Karak Izor declared then called the Skull-whatever Orcs in which was pretty eyebrow-raising.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah they're probably going to add the Imperial Dragon one day, I hope.

He's too busy sleeping and getting fat at the Altdorf Zoo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Triskelli posted:

He's too busy sleeping and getting fat at the Altdorf Zoo.

I like to assume his name is Scrambles and he's basically a pampered mascot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are you suggesting deathclaw isn't pampered?

• Locked thread