Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Reuse of components does not mean the ships serve the same purpose or that one could be considered an "evolution" of the other

in terms of production design it is. Someone making it was literally like oh hey wouldn't be neat if this ship was like a B-wing. They don't care that a B-wing is a heavy bomber designed by admiral akbar because he thought y-wings were poo poo. or the new rebels canon backstory where b-wings have super lasers and whatnot. It's literally lets make a new ship look kinda like an old ship and leave it to a guy making cross sections to make it sound good.

X-Wings are more marketable than a new rebellion fighter which is the main reason TFA is using an evolved version of them. Not because airforce jets look similar to how they did 30 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

hhhat posted:

So we still don't have that trailer from the celebration reel then?

I mean srs

I'm still waiting here

I like star wars ships too

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I hope that Rogue One and Episode VIII both have many new spaceships.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I want my Pointy Spaceships back :(

Failing that, Paul Saltine's Karate Killings would also be acceptable.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

A: Obi-Wan and Ben Kenobi are the same people.
B: No, they are different people. Obi-Wan is called Obi-Wan and appears in the prequels, and Ben Kenobi is called Ben Kenobi and sppears in the original trilogy.
A: Actually Ben Kenobi is just an alias worn by Obi-Wan.
B: That doesn't make sense. They're called by different names, they're different people.
A: They're both Jedi masters who hid themselves in the wilderness and teach someone to be a Jedi.
B: No, Obi-Wan teaches Anakin and Ben Kenobi teaches Luke.
A: Ben Kenobi reveals that he is Obi-Wan. He has the same knowledge and past as Obi-Wan.
B: Obi-Wan is not an old man, and Ben Kenobi appears as an old man. They're clearly not the same.

This is a condensed version of the Star Wars Thread.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

jivjov posted:

We officially have casting for young Han Solo, plus explicit confirmation that Episode VIII is picking up exactly where VII left off.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/star-wars-celebration-alden-ehrenreich-han-solo-episode-viii-rian-johnson-1201787697/

Really? Is the opening crawl just going to recap Force Awakens?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

Really? Is the opening crawl just going to recap Force Awakens?

I'm actually assuming that it's gonna go more into detail on what led Luke to go into exile on Ahch-To.

Maybe one paragraph of "last time on Star Wars" and two of background setup for Luke's jedi order and exile

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

NowonSA posted:

Okay, but what about A-wings?
The A-Wing was an all-weather interceptor aircraft intended to defend Alliance carrier battle groups against bombers and anti-ship missiles.[25] The A-wing features an internal weapons bay and a cockpit with a spacious view of the bleak emptiness of space. The cockpit is part of an escape crew capsule.[26] The wing sweep varies between 16 degrees and 72.5 degrees (full forward to full sweep).[27] The airframe consisted mostly of aluminum alloys with steel, titanium and other materials also used.[28] The fuselage is a semi-monocoque structure with stiffened panels and honeycomb sandwich panels for skin.[27][28] The A-Wing was powered by two Pratt & Whitney TF30 afterburning turbofan engines and included the AN/AWG-9 radar system for controlling the AIM-54 Phoenix concussion missiles.[29]

The A-Wing offered a platform with the range, payload, and hyperdrive performance to intercept targets quickly, but with swing wings and turbospacefuel engines, it could also loiter on station for long periods. The A-Wing B would carry six AIM-54 Phoenix missiles, its main armament.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can't believe the A-wing are built out of loving aluminum and steel. This is somehow the most hilarious thing to me.

Wookiepedia probably has 3000 words devoted to the various magic rocks that go into constructing a Jedi rave baton, but these veritable chariots of the gods are built out of god drat aluminum.

What the absolute gently caress?! I'm losing my mind at this revelation!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's space age material, what's the problem.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's space age material, what's the problem.

I'm not taking a dig at aluminum!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

... was powered by two Pratt & Whitney TF30...

...literally a F-14 Tomcat.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I still hope that Snoke actually is a giant and that it catches the heroes completely off guard when they confront him. That would be fun.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/k6EawgtLBNB5gQiIS6k

Finally a DECENT cam of the new teaser.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Awwwwww yissssssss

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Was that an upside-down Vadar at the end?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes, it is his reflection on the floor of the Death Star.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That was pretty good, though it doesn't really do anything that the first teaser didn't. I should be thankful that they didn't give too much away.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't believe the A-wing are built out of loving aluminum and steel. This is somehow the most hilarious thing to me.

Wookiepedia probably has 3000 words devoted to the various magic rocks that go into constructing a Jedi rave baton, but these veritable chariots of the gods are built out of god drat aluminum.

What the absolute gently caress?! I'm losing my mind at this revelation!

He is making a funny joke where he replaces "F-14 Tomcat" with "A-Wing"

It is literally a description of the F-14.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MrMojok posted:

He is making a funny joke where he replaces "F-14 Tomcat" with "A-Wing"

It is literally a description of the F-14.

I am thoroughly ownt.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

I am thoroughly ownt.

Yeah and the X-wing description at the top of the page is an F-16

though I feel an X-wing would be more of an F-15

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There goes my fantasy of the post-war Rebellion redeeming their A-wings for 5 cents each at the recycling plant.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

There goes my fantasy of the post-war Rebellion redeeming their A-wings for 5 cents each at the recycling plant.

10 cents each in Hawaii and Corellia. :eng101:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Doesn't that make TIEs basically Bi-planes, then?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I always felt like the Ties were supposed to be zero analogues since they are fast interceptors that explode apart at the drop of a hat.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

El Disco posted:

10 cents each in Hawaii and Corellia. :eng101:

de wanna wanga means hello and goodbye

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So much is clear to me now.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Jerkface posted:

I always felt like the Ties were supposed to be zero analogues since they are fast interceptors that explode apart at the drop of a hat.

But, the Interceptors are the interceptors.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jerkface posted:

It would make sense seeing as the Death Star battle is just Midway in Space.

Airpower!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The ARC 170 is pretty much a P-61....in space!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/755930302795673600

I like the aliens for Rogue One. They also revealed the door gunner alien is named Bistan.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerkface posted:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/755930302795673600

I like the aliens for Rogue One. They also revealed the door gunner alien is named Bistan.

That's pretty cool. I'm getting a vaguely run down Vader look from whoever this is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

That's pretty cool. I'm getting a vaguely run down Vader look from whoever this is.

Little Vader, little Imortan Joe.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Ties are so peculiar.

Their engines and lasers are so tiny compared to rebellion fighters indicating they must be incredibly advanced to produce comparable output which runs counter to the narrative that the imperial fighters are lovely but there are lots of them vs the high quality but low number of rebellion snubfighters

Also its weird that they have a tiny window in the back yet are piloted by a dude in a helmet with tiny eyes holes who probably can't look backwards.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Paragon8 posted:

Ties are so peculiar.

Their engines and lasers are so tiny compared to rebellion fighters indicating they must be incredibly advanced to produce comparable output which runs counter to the narrative that the imperial fighters are lovely but there are lots of them vs the high quality but low number of rebellion snubfighters

Their engines are tiny but they also don't have hyperdrives. The Republic fighters (ARC-170 excepted) in the prequels are similar, very very small due to not having their own drive.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They also don't have shields.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

They also don't really exist and were not designed for film with any scientific reality in mind. Twin Ion Engine is retcon bullshit, they're just flying disposable bowtie-ship bad guys.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, TIEs are superior in speed and maneuverability, comparable in weapon output (especially the Interceptor, with 4 cannons to match the X-Wing) but pilot survivability is way down due to no shields and no hyperdrive.

The old Legends EU presented those as some of the most expensive components, leading to the Empire being able to field waaaaaay more TIEs with lower capital expenditure.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's always incredibly sad how people take these movies with laser swords, magic, and aliens, and then start discussing the technical specifications of spaceships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's always incredibly sad how people take these movies with laser swords, magic, and aliens, and then start discussing the technical specifications of spaceships.

It could be worse. We could be the people who talk about what Mass Effect alien sweat tastes like.

• Locked thread