Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I guess Tynan did a thing on Reddit?

Trying to figure out if something is fun in an early build sounds like it could be maddening. I think some of the Kickstarter tiers came with early prototypes that were much more about urban combat. And the early, early versions of the game came with overpowered blast charges and weird cages to scare the poo poo out of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
There is an updated version of a vein mining mod. Not on the Steam Workshop yet, if they even will upload it there.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jet Jaguar posted:

I guess Tynan did a thing on Reddit?

Trying to figure out if something is fun in an early build sounds like it could be maddening. I think some of the Kickstarter tiers came with early prototypes that were much more about urban combat. And the early, early versions of the game came with overpowered blast charges and weird cages to scare the poo poo out of people.

yeah the blast charges were fun. you could just build a line of trapped sandbags for raids to park themselves against then you blow them all up. made the game super easy though

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

This could end badly

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Gilok posted:

This could end badly

Wait until they become maneaters

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gilok posted:

This could end badly

plant an incendiary IED and lure them over it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Why is it that every time disease strikes my colonies, it's 2-3 people getting it at the exact same time? That has to be a bug, right?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Why is it that every time disease strikes my colonies, it's 2-3 people getting it at the exact same time? That has to be a bug, right?

I thought that was intentional given the close proximity of colonists that almost all get it. I am not sure how it works, but I've had raiders catch disease that my colonists had - or they showed up with the exact same disease in the early stages (which I think is unlikely).

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

Was it Lupus?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Hav posted:

Was it Lupus?

At one point all my colonist had Malaria then all had Fibrous Mechanites. Later when most had Sensory Mechanites I captured a raider, and when I checked his health he also had Sensory Mechanites.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gilok posted:

This could end badly

First rain go out and shoot them. boomalopes aren't that scary when it's raining

e: On the modding front, redistheat has been updated

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=21770.0

Azhais fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 21, 2016

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

e: On the modding front, redistheat has been updated

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=21770.0

This looks really cool, but I've now been totally spoiled by the Workshop.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bushiz posted:

So I got this yesterday and have been having a blast dying over and over while my age-addled brain tries to recalibrate to how ten years ago me was able to play dwarf fortress. Is there a way to map out what you mine out without clicking on every drat individual tile as they slowly get revealed? I don't have the patience for that kind of micromanagement and I don't care if I accidentally dig too greedily/deep in the process.

Orders menu -> mine / clear / chop / hunt / etc can all be applied to large areas.

The main (well, only) dangers to look out for while digging:
- Sealed off rooms (not just caves, but walled rooms you usually have to deconstruct to get into) can sometimes contain insane colonists in ancient cryo chambers, killer robots, or killer insects
- Any open area too big (no wall within 6 squares of an open tile) risks a roof collapse or a cave-in
- Temperatures can get really cold in large mined spaces, so in winter you'll need to wall/door off open spaces and too much mining can make your pawns literally freeze to death

That last one is a big issue mostly in non-temperate biomes, where outside temperatures can drop to -30C or worse in winter and basically the only way to survive is to stockpile food ahead of time and keep all your pawns inside with heaters or campfires and a reliable supply of electricity or fuel.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 21, 2016

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Does anyone remember the game Deadlock: Planetary Conquest by Accolade in 1996? A lot of people are making Fallout themed mods, but I think a Deadlock overhaul could be amazing.

The very base mechanics were somewhat similar. You have randomly or custom generated planets with biomes, and you were one of 7 alien races fighting to control the planet. Each race had strengths and weaknesses, technology had to be researched, resources mined and farmed, military units built. Many of the races in that game have abilities that would translate amazingly to RimWorld. The Uva Mosk were nature lovers and had supernatural bonds with plants and animals. The Maug were sickly broken humanoids who relied on technology and ultra-fast researching for survival. Tarth were massive beings who were dumb as stumps and consumed the most food but had unstoppable military units, etc etc.

Damnit, I think I need to learn how to mod this game.

Prophecy120 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 21, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Broken Cog posted:

Disease is really abstract and simplified, the incident just sticks the effect on X number of people and that's that, it doesn't attempt to model real world disease at all. To be honest it's mostly just dumb and the ones like gut worms are something you should consider disabling. For sickness caused by improperly prepared or uncooked food there's already food poisoning anyway.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is there a way to customize the stats and such of your colonists?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is there a way to customize the stats and such of your colonists?

There's a beta version of Prepare Carefully for A14. It still has some bugs but should mostly work OK.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Is there any way to get Steam to stop updating mods for a while? Having my saved games get broken every few hours because a guy updated a mod is getting a little annoying.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I released a prisoner and after leaving base he got mauled and eaten by an angry bear, and all my colonists got a negative 7 mood for a week because of it.

Guys, he was out of the base, it wasn't really our fault.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Flesh Forge posted:

Is there any way to get Steam to stop updating mods for a while? Having my saved games get broken every few hours because a guy updated a mod is getting a little annoying.

Even when it gets updated it breaks it? You sure it's not just the warning that mods used in map generation have changed?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Are there any good tutorial/beginner videos to watch? I found a few but they're all twitch streamers and most of the videos are split 60/40 between playing the game and sucking off subscribers.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

seconding what lunethex wrote. i dont think there's a steam option, but you can find the mods in c:\steamlibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\294100

theyre just numbered folders, but if you look in the about\about.xml files you can see what is what. move them to c:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\rimworld\mods and they should run as local mods. you may want to also unsub from the mods, but you can choose whether to run the local or steam versions in the mod interface, so that may be an overabundance of caution.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Red Mundus posted:

Are there any good tutorial/beginner videos to watch? I found a few but they're all twitch streamers and most of the videos are split 60/40 between playing the game and sucking off subscribers.

If you have a basic grasp of how the game works Enter Elysium is a decent watch because he's good in some aspects and terrible in others so his skill cap isn't so high that you have no idea what he's doing and he'll constantly gently caress up obvious things which makes it easier to figure out what you should do in your own game. That latter part may lead you to stop watching though if it bothers you too much.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IcePhoenix posted:

If you have a basic grasp of how the game works Enter Elysium is a decent watch because he's good in some aspects and terrible in others so his skill cap isn't so high that you have no idea what he's doing and he'll constantly gently caress up obvious things which makes it easier to figure out what you should do in your own game. That latter part may lead you to stop watching though if it bothers you too much.

That last line pretty much sums up why I stopped watching youtube Rimworld videos. Guys complaining that their people were constantly pissed off while not having someone spend 5 minutes making a table for the first two game weeks and never building even a basic horseshoe pit. The -5 "ate off the ground like a filthy animal" mood penalty is the easiest thing ever to get rid of

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Even when it gets updated it breaks it? You sure it's not just the warning that mods used in map generation have changed?

The saved games won't load so I'm kind of stuck when this happens.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Azhais posted:

That last line pretty much sums up why I stopped watching youtube Rimworld videos. Guys complaining that their people were constantly pissed off while not having someone spend 5 minutes making a table for the first two game weeks and never building even a basic horseshoe pit. The -5 "ate off the ground like a filthy animal" mood penalty is the easiest thing ever to get rid of

It does occasionally bite me when someone has food in their pocket and decides to stop what they're doing and eat right there, instead of going back to the kitchen.

"It's your own drat fault, dumbass!"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Hey everyone playing this game. I see a lot of reviews talking about invasions and stuff. I play Dwarf Fortress a lot so I'm not a stranger to sieges, but can you dial them down or at least build an impenetrable fortress and chill until you want to smack space goblins in this one?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pochoclo posted:

Hey everyone playing this game. I see a lot of reviews talking about invasions and stuff. I play Dwarf Fortress a lot so I'm not a stranger to sieges, but can you dial them down or at least build an impenetrable fortress and chill until you want to smack space goblins in this one?

All you can really do is reduce the frequency by lowering the difficulty. The swarms will still grow relative to colony wealth however, so it's really just a way to drag things out.

Killboxes sort of work, but the AI will learn from survivors where your defenses are and they'll go around them, up to and including mining their way into your base. You can't really turtle up like DF, tho it sounds like Tynan is slowly coming around to the idea that people want to be able to play this game like DF instead of "can you build a spaceship before the storyteller finishes her '3 people crashlanded and were loving MURDERED' story"

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

When I picture the events of this game being told by an actual storyteller, I picture the sort of incoherent screeds that schizophrenics write.

"Three intrepid good people on a planet ONE OF THEM IS A CHILD SLAVE SPACESHIP CAPTAIN and they build a house out of steel because there aren't enough trees and then they all got sad until someone made a table and some horseshoes there were a lot of EXPLODING WILDLIFE and they couldn't open that room because it was FULL OF ANCIENT DANGER but they ended up building their research table out of limestone blocks and a short circuit caught the dog on fire and the captain got so sad he murdered everyone except the guy who died of the plague THE END."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

There's a "no raid" mod on Steam workshop as well as the mod forum.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=672718181&searchtext=no+raid

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I seriously hope that Tynan doesn't add Suicide as a severe mental break condition. As dark as the game can get, that's a little too dark.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

IAmTheRad posted:

I seriously hope that Tynan doesn't add Suicide as a severe mental break condition. As dark as the game can get, that's a little too dark.

Yeah he pretty explicitly said this won't happen

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IAmTheRad posted:

I dunno, they already pretty much emulate Thich Quang Duc and set themselves on fire regularly

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I've got two pyromaniacs living in a wooden compound. So far they've only set fires outside while it was raining but it's really only a matter of time.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah he pretty explicitly said this won't happen

Kind of weird that the line is drawn there and not "Slave girl who has been raped over and over again her whole life" creepy fetish material.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Gilok posted:

This could end badly

It's raining, shoot a couple and have meat for weeks.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

IAmTheRad posted:

Is he considering it or what? Where's this coming from?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I Said No posted:

Is he considering it or what? Where's this coming from?

He said maybe as a very rare mental break in the AMA. I hope he doesn't go through with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't see how suicide as a mental break is any worse than the plethora of hosed up poo poo that can happen in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Flesh Forge posted:

There's a "no raid" mod on Steam workshop as well as the mod forum.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=672718181&searchtext=no+raid

i want raids to happen. i dont want game ending scenarios like three ancient catepillars emerging from a ship landing on my base just because the ai decided i was taking too long

what mod does that?