Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Because neonazis are sticklers for rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

acejackson42 posted:

The Enterprise is being decommissioned and will be recommissioned as a new Gerald R. Ford class aircraft carrier when it launchs in the 2020s. The current aircraft carrier named Gerald R. Ford is the first of a line of 10 hyper-modern carriers the U.S. Navy is building; it replaces the Enterprise when it's commissioned in September of this year. The next Ford-class ship to launch will be the John F. Kennedy, which will replace the Nimitz (the carrier from The Final Countdown).

If anything -- and I think that graphic points it out pretty clearly -- the U.S. Navy is more terrifyingly powerful now at any size than the rest of the world's navies combined. And these ridiculous new carriers are just going to make it easier to extend that power further. It's not ship numbers that matter any more, it's air power and the ability to strike when and wherever simultaneously. The U.S. can already do that. Soon they'll be able to do it even better.

So bitching about the size of the navy is the same as it was when Obama took down Romney in embarrassing fashion in that debate -- nothing but more garbage and bullshit from the GOP. Same as it ever is.

a single carrier air wing is enough to take on the air force of all but like 5 countries on earth. its pretty remarkable just how much loving firepower we can put off someone's shore.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Anybody thinking "I sort of respect Ted Cruz more than before." is doing precisely what Ted Cruz wants.

:puppetmaster:

Edit: Oh that's loving annoying

Ted Cruz, T ed Cruz, Ced Truz?

Kumo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 21, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I sort of respect Zodiac Killer more than before

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

go3 posted:

a single carrier air wing is enough to take on the air force of all but like 5 countries on earth. its pretty remarkable just how much loving firepower we can put off someone's shore.

And also we have like 60 - 70 submarines, which seems like an insane quantity to me.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I don't respect Zodiac more than before, but I applaud anything that gets the RNC audience to show their true colors.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

This is a pretty good "in the crowd" article about what it's like to be at, and then get into, the RNC.

Aren't metal detectors and pat downs normal at any event like this?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

hot sauce posted:

Aren't metal detectors and pat downs normal at any event like this?
Pretty much. The DNC will be doing it too I'm sure. I guess it's just more of "lol hypocrites want open carry/guns all the time but refuse to let them into their convention."

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

go3 posted:

If you take into account what the rest of the ships in a carrier group can do to air bases and command and control structures, man, a single carrier group could probably wipe out the military structure of any country outside of Russia and China in a matter of a day, if not hours. Throw in nuclear weapons and an single carrier group could probably do in most of Russian and Chinese military, too.

It's literally insane to think that the U.S. Navy is anything but the most fearsome military force on the planet. Christ, if anything they need fewer ships given how much hell they can bring with what they have now...

Edit: from wikipedia, this is an air carrier group. Whole lotta cruise missles and whatnot on those other ships. Throw in a sub or two and, well...

A carrier strike group[1] (CSG) is an operational formation of the United States Navy. It is composed of roughly 7,500 personnel, an aircraft carrier, at least one cruiser, a destroyer squadron of at least two destroyers and/or frigates,[2] and a carrier air wing of 65 to 70 aircraft. A carrier strike group also, on occasion, includes submarines, attached logistics ships and a supply ship.

acejackson42 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 21, 2016

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Bubbacub posted:

And also we have like 60 - 70 submarines, which seems like an insane quantity to me.

How many of those carry nukes?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bubbacub posted:

And also we have like 60 - 70 submarines spend about half of all the money everybody spends on military things altogether, which seems like an insane quantity to me.

It would blow Americans' loving minds if they knew how powerful we are, and the goddamn morons that make up our electorate let the Republican Party sell them on the idea that we need even more to be competitive with the Russians. We have more and better poo poo than literally almost the entire rest of the world combined and it's actually terrifying on a religious level.

Mostly the problem is that American power is quantifiable as "in relative and absolute terms far and away superior to everyone else" and not in terms of "we literally can magically make the world bow to our every whim because AMERICA gently caress YEAH!", which is what Americans want to happen so they can feel safe from scary brown men from the desert. See: Benghazi.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm pretty sure all of them. All the time. And they're anywhere they need to be and no one knows it. They're the scariest part of the U.S. military arsenal because at least with carriers you know where it's coming from.

Take a Clancy-talk scenario: Say you're a rogue nation. You launch your sole nuclear missile into south Texas and all of a sudden five Minutemen missles show up on your radar coming from the bay in your largest city. The sub they came from could have been there for weeks without you having the slighest idea it was there... and now you're radioactive ash.

I think the overall theme here is just don't mess with the U.S. military. It won't end well for you...

acejackson42 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 21, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lightning Knight posted:

It would blow Americans' loving minds if they knew how powerful we are, and the goddamn morons that make up our electorate let the Republican Party sell them on the idea that we need even more to be competitive with the Russians. We have more and better poo poo than literally almost the entire rest of the world combined and it's actually terrifying on a religious level.

Mostly the problem is that American power is quantifiable as "in relative and absolute terms far and away superior to everyone else" and not in terms of "we literally can magically make the world bow to our every whim because AMERICA gently caress YEAH!", which is what Americans want to happen so they can feel safe from scary brown men from the desert. See: Benghazi.

Right wing chickenhawks can't ever wrap their minds around the fact that no, it is actually not enough to wave massive guns around until all things are perfect. They've bought into the republican chanting of weakness and mindless brutality so hard that they cannot comprehend the reason any problem could happen short of us not having quite enough big guns for ARE HEROES.

Even when we spend almost all our money on yet another pointless piece of military machinery, the Republicans keep on bleating the same thing and their voters just swallow it whole. The Repulicans have trained their base so very well that they will always believe whatever nonsense they are given and never consider asking a logical question like why the Republicans failed to kill all the terrorists over their eight years or how it could be that a program costing less than an aircraft carrier is our biggest waste just because it aids poor people.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

acejackson42 posted:

I'm pretty sure all of them. All the time.

I don't think all of them are Nukes launchers.

I just know that about a third of our Nuclear arsenal are on subs

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Blind Rasputin posted:

14 of 70. Used to be 18 but we converted a few to cruise missile subs.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's funny to laugh at but it gets absurd when people seriously consider she is actually throwing out a nazi salute.
I'm going to come out and say she did.

Laura Ingraham is a noted racist, regressive shitheel who's used racial slurs ON AIR in the past.

I can completely believe that at some level, she agrees with Nazi ideology, maybe she's got a shoebox under her bed of old medals, an armband, maybe an empty zyklon-b canister. And now she's being invited on the big stage, in front of tens of thousands of inchoate supporters, on the third day, in the Main Event of the RNC, and there's lights and people screaming and ten million people at home watching, waiting on her every word on how Donald Trump will finally Make America WhiteGreat Again... and you just get carried away in the moment.

Just for a split second, that move you practiced in the bathroom mirror, sneaking it in once in a while after a few too many glasses of Shiraz, thinking "yeah killing the Jews was bad but the idea of racial purity isn't the worst, look how much White people have done!" (a statement said in all seriousness by a national politician just days earlier, with almost no blowback).

And so you just throw it up. Sieg Heil.

And instantly you know it's wrong, and you awkwardly correct it, because holy poo poo they aren't ready for that message. But you know, and your tiny insolence, your momentary lapse will be the dogwhistle that gets "the right sort of people" tuning in to your show, or voting for Trump.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Moatman posted:

Ah, there we go. Still, that's 14 of those bastards that could be anywhere at any time unless they're in port. That should scare people enough or at least give them hard-ons for military power projection. But it's never enough, nothing will be because SUPPORT AR TROOPS!

Edit: I seem to remember seeing something that every sub had at the very least nuclear torpedoes, but that could be from some cold war novel or something I read as a kid.

acejackson42 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 21, 2016

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Laura Ingraham is a noted racist, regressive shitheel who's used racial slurs ON AIR in the past.

I can completely believe that at some level, she agrees with Nazi ideology, maybe she's got a shoebox under her bed of old medals, an armband, maybe an empty zyklon-b canister. And now she's being invited on the big stage, in front of tens of thousands of inchoate supporters, on the third day, in the Main Event of the RNC, and there's lights and people screaming and ten million people at home watching, waiting on her every word on how Donald Trump will finally Make America WhiteGreat Again... and you just get carried away in the moment.

Just for a split second, that move you practiced in the bathroom mirror, sneaking it in once in a while after a few too many glasses of Shiraz, thinking "yeah killing the Jews was bad but the idea of racial purity isn't the worst, look how much White people have done!" (a statement said in all seriousness by a national politician just days earlier, with almost no blowback).

And instantly you know it's wrong, and you awkwardly correct it, because holy poo poo they aren't ready for that message. But you know, and your tiny insolence, your momentary lapse will be the dogwhistle that gets "the right sort of people" tuning in to your show, or voting for Trump.

Leaning towards something like this myself. This whole campaign has been continually winking with white supremacists. Trump has to "look into" David Duke and the KKK before he can form an opinion on them. Steve King with his white supremacy talk over "subgroups". Sherrif's Stars for fucks sake.

Probably more things I can't think of off the top of my head, but I haven't been able to give them the benefit of the doubt for a while now.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Facebook posted:

Nazi Salute: Laura Ingraham Appears to Perform Gesture During Speech at RNC, Viewers Say

Images of the radio host's outstretched right arm and wave after her speech Wednesday led to debate on social media that she was giving the Nazi salute. She has not commented on the speculation.

That's one of the top trending stories on Facebook right now.

Honestly I'm not willing to out and out accuse her of intentionally doing it, because it's too hard to prove, upon thinking about it. But poo poo, you put those pictures and videos out there and make them go viral and yeah, most of the people who weren't already going to vote Trump are probably going to be like :stare: what the gently caress. That's all the Hillary campaign and it's supporters need to do, really.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

acejackson42 posted:

Edit: I seem to remember seeing something that every sub had at the very least nuclear torpedoes, but that could be from some cold war novel or something I read as a kid.
Nuclear Torpedoes makes no sense because you want the airburst of a nuclear reaction (+EMP) and detonating underwater, even in a harbor, wouldn't give you that nearly as well.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

Moatman posted:

14 carry Trident missiles (the Ohio class boomers), but pretty much all the attack subs can carry nuke tipped tomahawks.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I keep thinking about Ted Cruz.

I look at him, and I'm just stunned there could be someone more entitled, more arrogant than Donald Trump. He's a person that dances around questions, and when pressed upon by a single person? He throws a temper tantrum.

When people on FOX loving NEWS would ask him questions he'd throw temper tantrums over it.

People will say it's brave he did this on principle and such. But I didn't get that vibe from him at all last night.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nuclear Torpedoes makes no sense because you want the airburst of a nuclear reaction (+EMP) and detonating underwater, even in a harbor, wouldn't give you that nearly as well.

Nuclear torpedoes were a thing in the Cold War because underwater nuclear detonations will absolutely slam dunk the living poo poo out of a fleet, while an airburst will do comparatively less damage. At least, when nuclear tech was less advanced, this was the case. Nowadays nuclear torpedoes would be mostly pointless for the US to have because the only ones with a meaningful navy anymore would be us.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

For tonight:

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/07/rnc_2016_07212016_what_time_it_starts_channels_liv.html

quote:

COMPLETE LIST OF SPEAKERS

• Brock Mealer, motivational speaker

• Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.)

• Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin

• Lisa Shin, National Diversity Coalition for Trump

• Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus

• Jerry Falwell, Jr., president of Liberty University

• Peter Thiel, founder of PayPal

• Tom Barrick, chief executive of Colony Capital

• Ivanka Trump, Trump's daughter

• Donald Trump, the Republican presidential nominee

:allears:

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Spun Dog posted:

Leaning towards something like this myself. This whole campaign has been continually winking with white supremacists. Trump has to "look into" David Duke and the KKK before he can form an opinion on them. Steve King with his white supremacy talk over "subgroups". Sherrif's Stars for fucks sake.

Probably more things I can't think of off the top of my head, but I haven't been able to give them the benefit of the doubt for a while now.

With this kind of GOP shitshow going on, it's just as likely an intentional act as much as it wasn't. That alone should be just absolutely horrifying and beyond the pale for politics in 2016. I mean, seriously, a loving Nazi salute, even a clandestine one, is being discussed as actually happening at a major U.S. political convention? And there's a case for it being real?

Holy poo poo, people. I'd say this is just as off the rails as things can get, but we've got months of Trump losing coming up and that's going to draw out all sorts of monsters as panic and realization sets in. First Obama and now this? It's going to drive them insane and who knows what will happen. And if he's winning? Those same monsters will be emboldened.

A loving straight-up full on Nazi salute from someone tonight might not even register when it comes to the poo poo we're going to see down the road.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Geostomp posted:

Right wing chickenhawks can't ever wrap their minds around the fact that no, it is actually not enough to wave massive guns around until all things are perfect. They've bought into the republican chanting of weakness and mindless brutality so hard that they cannot comprehend the reason any problem could happen short of us not having quite enough big guns for ARE HEROES.

Even when we spend almost all our money on yet another pointless piece of military machinery, the Republicans keep on bleating the same thing and their voters just swallow it whole. The Repulicans have trained their base so very well that they will always believe whatever nonsense they are given and never consider asking a logical question like why the Republicans failed to kill all the terrorists over their eight years or how it could be that a program costing less than an aircraft carrier is our biggest waste just because it aids poor people.

I assume some of that's still holdover from the Vietnam war and the like where overwhelming military force works great against conventional armies but completely sucks against anything asymmetrical/dispersed. Where if we'd only let our military defoliate an entire country or dropped daisy cutters on every mountain top we'd finally be able to get those bastards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

OK I officially think this is the best lineup they have had so far if by "best" you mean the most horrible despicable people.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lightning Knight posted:

That's all the Hillary campaign and it's supporters need to do, really.

It's been said before and it's true now: Trump is God's gift to Hillary's campaign.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Nuclear torpedoes were a thing in the Cold War because underwater nuclear detonations will absolutely slam dunk the living poo poo out of a fleet, while an airburst will do comparatively less damage. At least, when nuclear tech was less advanced, this was the case. Nowadays nuclear torpedoes would be mostly pointless for the US to have because the only ones with a meaningful navy anymore would be us.

It was also a means of killing fast, deep diving subs like the Alfa.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Nuclear torpedoes are a tactical, not strategic weapon. Meant to be used against ships and subs.

E;fb

Also nuclear weapons aren't always airbrust, counter-force weapons were usually groundburst.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

All this fόhrer over her gesture reminded me of this ancient clip of Jonny Buchardt luring his audience into doing something stupid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJRUDaw8DJE

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

citybeatnik posted:

I assume some of that's still holdover from the Vietnam war and the like where overwhelming military force works great against conventional armies but completely sucks against anything asymmetrical/dispersed. Where if we'd only let our military defoliate an entire country or dropped daisy cutters on every mountain top we'd finally be able to get those bastards.

The funny thing is that problem still exists no matter how much money you pump into the military.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Cythereal posted:

It's been said before and it's true now: Trump is God's gift to Hillary's campaign.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/796fa5e9-29de-4ed0-896f-d00809018bbd

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

mcmagic posted:

OK I officially think this is the best lineup they have had so far if by "best" you mean the most horrible despicable people.

Ivanka might be the best speech of the night, and by "best" I mean the only one not filled with 10x as much poo poo as we've seen the previous three days. It's going to be a glorious night of abject lunacy.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

That's one of the top trending stories on Facebook right now.

Honestly I'm not willing to out and out accuse her of intentionally doing it, because it's too hard to prove, upon thinking about it. But poo poo, you put those pictures and videos out there and make them go viral and yeah, most of the people who weren't already going to vote Trump are probably going to be like :stare: what the gently caress. That's all the Hillary campaign and it's supporters need to do, really.

I couldn't care less what she was intending to do there, because she's such an enormous piece of poo poo that she deserves whatever happens to her even accidentally.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mdemone posted:

I couldn't care less what she was intending to do there, because she's such an enormous piece of poo poo that she deserves whatever happens to her even accidentally.

I mean, I hope it torpedoes her career, but I doubt that's going to happen. There's just enough plausible deniability for her that they can defend it.

These are the people who defended Trump's wife's speech with My Little Pony references, I don't think anything is impossible anymore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

acejackson42 posted:

Ivanka might be the best speech of the night, and by "best" I mean the only one not filled with 10x as much poo poo as we've seen the previous three days. It's going to be a glorious night of abject lunacy.

She's just as horrible as the rest of them.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Bikini was an underwater test, I do believe? Yeah, I get the sense a nuclear torpedo would mess things up right quick.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, I hope it torpedoes her career, but I doubt that's going to happen. There's just enough plausible deniability for her that they can defend it.

Also because actually intending to deliver a Nazi salute is so bone-crushingly stupid that no one could ever believe she would do it, because she pretty clearly is able to dress and feed herself, which is the level of retarded we are talking about here. And even with that said, I can't bring myself to completely rule it out. Which is goddamn remarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

acejackson42 posted:

Bikini was an underwater test, I do believe? Yeah, I get the sense a nuclear torpedo would mess things up right quick.

Airburst first, then underwater. The airburst irradiated everything and did moderate damage but was mostly unimpressive compared to what they were hoping for (mind you, it missed the target and this was '40s tech), whereas the waterburst sank most of the test fleet and famously cracked a battleship in half, which they caught in a picture.

Waterburst is real nasty if you just wanna gently caress up a navy's day. I'm sure anybody worth a drat in the nuclear weapons design field that isn't the US wants them to deal with aircraft carrier battlegroups. Us, on the other hand, I imagine we don't really need them until somebody else builds a navy worth mentioning.

quote:

Also because actually intending to deliver a Nazi salute is so bone-crushingly stupid that no one could ever believe she would do it, because she pretty clearly is able to dress and feed herself, which is the level of retarded we are talking about here. And even with that said, I can't bring myself to completely rule it out. Which is goddamn remarkable.

I mean, she's a fascist giving a speech at a convention for a fascist party which nominated a scam artist running on a mostly fascist platform, supported by actual white supremacist fascist hate groups. Something something, where there's smoke there's fire.

• Locked thread