Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Part 9's Stands will all be based around songs from DDR.

Beware my Stand 「WAKA LAKA」

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I'm sort of disappointed that Hato's stand isn't "Boots Walk King" or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Dragon Dream didn't make its user drink his own piss, dude just did that of his own volition cause he was weird.

I assumed the stand told him because the stand was a dick to its user and thought that was the real explanation for that :shobon:

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
For me, I've considered KC's "erasing" ability to be more along the lines of phasing himself out of reality, or something like that. If I remember right, King Crimson cannot attack someone while he is "erasing" time as he'll just pass through them like how the bullets passed through him in the Metallica fight. Instead, he has to launch his attack the second his "erasing" is done.

Like in the last fight, KC tries to setup whipping a glob of his own blood in Girono's eyes, so once "erasing" stops, the glob would blind him and he could then attack without getting countered.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Waiting on a The Mountain Goats stand name of「The Legend of Chavo Guerrero」in the inevitable luchador/wrestling themed Jojo part 9

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

grandpa took a homo picture

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
New Dio is making snake jokes and doing acrobatics on his horse, while showing signs of having gained a Stand ability... Part 7 is the best, Dio is the best. Now I'm waiting for him to turn out to be evil and dash my hopes for a jojo/dio team-up.

e: and the weird poo poo Dio is doing actually creeped me out, well done Araki!

Llab fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 21, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That part of SBR is one of my favorites. Araki does such a good job of establishing normalcy and then chipping it away like the beginning of a horror movie, right in the middle of the larger arc.

The best thing about Diego is that he isn't actually a villain like the original Dio, he's just kind of a dick. He teams up with Valentine out of jealousy and desperation, but ultimately turns on him. You could probably see it as him being the same as the original Dio but without the 「gravity」 of the Joestars influencing him. Thus, he dies a hero trying to assassinate the president.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Continuing my reading of Stone Ocean.

Yo-Yo Ma is creepy as gently caress and Annasui continues to be the absolute worst. :argh:

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Having just finished Scary Monsters, I can safely say it's easily one of my favorite JoJo things. I like how SBR's version of vampirism is apparently turning people into dinosaurs! I guess the one thing I wasn't really feeling was Doctor Ferdinand or whoever. He's just kind of there all of a sudden and doesn't seem to do much before getting beaten.

Dexie posted:

Continuing my reading of Stone Ocean.

Yo-Yo Ma is creepy as gently caress and Annasui continues to be the absolute worst. :argh:

Agreed on both counts. I remember thinking I had missed a beat when Yo-Yo Ma showed up out of nowhere to help out the crew. Annasui is uh... always kind of a creep for Jolyne, but I think he kind of grew on me after a certain line later on.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Begemot posted:

That part of SBR is one of my favorites. Araki does such a good job of establishing normalcy and then chipping it away like the beginning of a horror movie, right in the middle of the larger arc.
I've said it a lot in this thread before but Diego's slow transformation and Johnny just watching in utter confusion at what is even happening is some good rear end poo poo, some of the best JoJo right there

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

This 'moving towards the green baby' puzzle is some fifth grade math class poo poo. I'm pretty sure I had this on a test once.

EDIT: gently caress yes Weather Report to the rescue.

...or not. :gonk:

Vandar fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 21, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dexie posted:

...or not. :gonk:

:(

Dexie posted:

and Annasui continues to be the absolute worst. :argh:

At least he is always the person getting clowned on. I don't think there is a single fight where anasui doesn't get hosed up for being a creeper dumbass haha, I think the closest might be Yo-Yo Ma where he is useful or Dragons Dream where he takes a hit and spends the fight speedwagoning

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Weather Report hugging fake out hurts, but it's worth it for Annasui getting owned once again

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

What really hurts is F.F.'s fate.

I knew she was going to die but I wasn't expecting it here or so soon. :( She's my favorite character in the entire part so far.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i want annasui and joshuu to both be dragged to hell

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

[checks watch]
drat it really is Annasui discussion time again

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Annasui did everything wrong

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Annasui is great because I like seeing rear end in a top hat creepers get dunked on repeatedly.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Joshuu is a better piece of trash than Annasui.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Begemot posted:

The best thing about Diego is that he isn't actually a villain like the original Dio, he's just kind of a dick. He teams up with Valentine out of jealousy and desperation, but ultimately turns on him. You could probably see it as him being the same as the original Dio but without the 「gravity」 of the Joestars influencing him. Thus, he dies a hero trying to assassinate the president.

Yeah, IIRC when Johnny and Gyro first met Diego in the race, Johnny immediately told Gyro, that Diego is a very bad person and if they ended up fighting him, they must go all out and go for the kill, and we, the reader, agrees with Johnny cause we know from Part 1 and Part 3 that Dio is a loving evil rear end in a top hat but Diego, on the whole, don't do all that much evil stuff, I don't think. In terms of collateral damage, I fairly sure he killed less innocent people than Johnny.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

WrightOfWay posted:

Joshuu is a better piece of trash than Annasui.

joshuu is a better written piece of trash, but this still involves the phrase 'piece of trash'

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

davidHalestorm posted:

Yeah, IIRC when Johnny and Gyro first met Diego in the race, Johnny immediately told Gyro, that Diego is a very bad person and if they ended up fighting him, they must go all out and go for the kill, and we, the reader, agrees with Johnny cause we know from Part 1 and Part 3 that Dio is a loving evil rear end in a top hat but Diego, on the whole, don't do all that much evil stuff, I don't think. In terms of collateral damage, I fairly sure he killed less innocent people than Johnny.

The funny thing is that Johnny's entire motivation for telling Gyro that was petty jealousy, which makes it a pretty great character moment.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zeruel posted:

Annasui did everything wrong

Except, funnily enough, his suggestion that they murder the green baby to keep pucci from getting it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

The funny thing is that Johnny's entire motivation for telling Gyro that was petty jealousy, which makes it a pretty great character moment.

Johnny's the best.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Daxing Dan posted:

Sequence of events:
1) Aerosmith fires at Diavolo
2) Diavolo is hit by bullets; bullets pass through Diavolo
3) Risotto is hit by bullets.

Diavolo uses King Crimson to erase #2, causing reality to immediately skip from #1 to #3 with Diavolo left unharmed. And, you're right that Diavolo is effectively intangible for the duration of his power, but for that same reason, he can't punch anyone in the midst of it like Dio can.

The disorientation is a side effect from sequences like these:

1) Wind up to punch Diavolo
2) Punch at Diavolo, Diavolo dodges
3) You finish your punch, having hit nothing.

When Diavolo erases #2, you immediately snap from #1 to #3. Then, you're left wondering where Diavolo just went, and why your arm is stuck out in front of you when you don't remember moving it. Meanwhile, Diavolo is punching a hole through your chest and chopping your shoulder in half.

So how was Bruno able to punch himself in the future?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

fractalairduct posted:

So how was Bruno able to punch himself in the future?

Epitaph

He didn't actually hit himself, he just thought he was going to hit someone but the person he was aiming at was just himself

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I love that Johnny is perceived as a stone cold bastard over Gyro in-story. A crippled horse jockey is deadlier than the guy who was going to be the head executioner of his country.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Cerebral Bore posted:

My favorite thing related to that is the reveal that Johnny is salty about Diego because George treated him better (and probably sponsored him for races, in the beginning) and beat Johnny in a race, where he got second place and STILL threw his trophy into the garbage. All without Diego realizing what was going on between Johnny and George.

I'm also sure that at least 90% of the bad rumors about Diego cheating in races are from other bitter rich assholes because horse racing is a rich, snobby sport, and now here's this poverty-stricken upstart kicking everyone else's asses. Johnny probably heard the rumors going around and just ran with them because of course he would. I love the fakeouts of whether or not Diego's actually Evil or just a dick.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Llab posted:

I love that Johnny is perceived as a stone cold bastard over Gyro in-story. A crippled horse jockey is deadlier than the guy who was going to be the head executioner of his country.

mind you, said going-to-be-head executioner didn't want to kill people and the crippled horse jockey had to be actively told not to ice someone

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Johnny Joestar posted:

mind you, said going-to-be-head executioner didn't want to kill people and the crippled horse jockey had to be actively told not to ice someone

I don't know if I've gotten to that part yet. I just finished Ringo and that was a great fight. Go Go Zeppeli!

I'm really starting to see how 7 tops a lot of people's favorites. Gyro and Johnny are both great characters. I've heard 7 is the most consistently good part, so I'm looking forward to the rest.

I didn't realize Valentine was so... sturdy. I thought I had seen an image of him that showed him looking... taller and thinner I guess. less dwarfy, more elfy.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
so i'm still messing around with my brother's copy of eyes of heaven and holy lol is mista broken

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's Wonder Festival 2016 over in Japan this weekend. We might finally see the long awaited Gyro Super Action Statue. It got announced like a year ago.

I think Johnny is announced too, but it's more recent than Gyro.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Llab posted:

I don't know if I've gotten to that part yet. I just finished Ringo and that was a great fight. Go Go Zeppeli!

I'm really starting to see how 7 tops a lot of people's favorites. Gyro and Johnny are both great characters. I've heard 7 is the most consistently good part, so I'm looking forward to the rest.

I didn't realize Valentine was so... sturdy. I thought I had seen an image of him that showed him looking... taller and thinner I guess. less dwarfy, more elfy.

that's the power of his stand... shan't spoil it for you

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Llab posted:

His physique changes after he brings Jesus into his heart.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

so i'm still messing around with my brother's copy of eyes of heaven and holy lol is mista broken

Iirc Mista and Mariah are supposed to be the combo that basically break the game over your knee.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Begemot posted:

His physique changes after he brings Jesus into his heart.
It seems so obvious who the Corpse is that I keep expecting it to not be Jesus. The Holy Spirit compels you to shoot your fingernails out, I guess.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

Koichi: Rohan-sensei, did you live in Morioh town when you were a kid?
Rohan: Yeah, but I don't remember it well, so I've decided to retrace my memories about this town.
Koichi: Rohan-sensei, a ghost appeared!
Rohan: I've seen you somewhere... who the hell are you...!?

That's the unaltered translation, for Josuke. (Koichi says "Rohan sensei, yūrei da!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Llab posted:

It seems so obvious who the Corpse is that I keep expecting it to not be Jesus. The Holy Spirit compels you to shoot your fingernails out, I guess.

my one wish is for some fundamentalist christian group to learn about Steel Ball Run so they can get mad about that Jesus' body is still on earth and it's giving people satan powers