Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

H110Hawk posted:

Trim models. Two, three, four, five for consumers.

The trim models just tell you what poo poo they got. You should be able to google "20xx Prius trim levels" and determine what got what. In a few years, the base was really, really base to aim at the fleet market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I may have been mistaken, then. I thought they were trim levels or some equivalent of package variations; so it's just a matter of the 2016 model looking significantly different compared to earlier years.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bill NYSE posted:

I may have been mistaken, then. I thought they were trim levels or some equivalent of package variations; so it's just a matter of the 2016 model looking significantly different compared to earlier years.

In some years they did have trim levels like that, but the way you worded it didn't really make that clear.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There's the generation of Prius, which is usually denoted as Gen 1 (BAD), Gen 2 (GOOD), Gen 3 (SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN GEN 2, WORSE INTERIOR SPACE), Gen 4 (NEW AND UGLY), and then for each year of production Toyota decided to go away from their typical CE/LE/XLE/SE trim levels and decided to call them One (did not get them in US), Two, Three, Four, and Five. Result: You can have a Gen 2 Prius 2, or a Gen 2 Prius 3, or a Gen 3 Prius 2, etc.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
How long do Prius batteries usually last?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I don't get why everybody's hating on the 4th gen Prius so much for being funny looking, they've always been funny looking and apparently the li-ion batteries and double-wishbone rear suspension make it drive way better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't get why everybody's hating on the 4th gen Prius so much for being funny looking, they've always been funny looking and apparently the li-ion batteries and double-wishbone rear suspension make it drive way better.

It always had an odd shape but was fundamentally bland. The new one is hideous.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Honestly it's not really a car you own for the looks, irrespective of what generation it is.

Just did my morning errands, gym and work commute entirely on the plug-in battery pack though. Hooray for 999mpg.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That Works posted:

Honestly it's not really a car you own for the looks, irrespective of what generation it is.

Just did my morning errands, gym and work commute entirely on the plug-in battery pack though. Hooray for 999mpg.

It's the car equivalent of a dishwasher. All you care about is that it does the god drat dishes without wasting water and energy. You don't care how it looks, you don't care about the process used to wash the dishes, you don't care about the experience of the dishes as they are being washed, and you don't give a gently caress about what other people think about your dishwasher. It's a great car if that's what you want. It's a horrible car if you care about a car as anything other than a BFC optimized appliance. I think this is why enthusiasts have such a hard time with the Prius - just can't imagine that people truly do not care about cars, or they really look down on people who truly don't care.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's the car equivalent of a dishwasher. All you care about is that it does the god drat dishes without wasting water and energy. You don't care how it looks, you don't care about the process used to wash the dishes, you don't care about the experience of the dishes as they are being washed, and you don't give a gently caress about what other people think about your dishwasher. It's a great car if that's what you want. It's a horrible car if you care about a car as anything other than a BFC optimized appliance. I think this is why enthusiasts have such a hard time with the Prius - just can't imagine that people truly do not care about cars, or they really look down on people who truly don't care.

Yep.

I love cars, have grown up working on them and have had a lot of "fun" yet impractical ones. I went into the Prius knowing it wasn't going to be anything but a tool.

However, I will mention there are some really nice pluses to it that I didn't expect. The electric system especially in city driving is great. The combined engine and road noise is so low you just feel like you're drifting around in it and it makes the sound system that much better without the background noise. That was a plus that I didn't expect. Also getting in, pushing a button and just going is a little neater than I expected. It's not like cranking an engine takes a long time but having the literal pushbutton and move start feels even nicer than I would have thought.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My pops just got a '16 Volt and I like it for the same reasons. As a little commuter, it's pretty slick. It is also way too expensive. I'll just by his used off him in 5 years.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That Works posted:

However, I will mention there are some really nice pluses to it that I didn't expect. The electric system especially in city driving is great. The combined engine and road noise is so low you just feel like you're drifting around in it and it makes the sound system that much better without the background noise. That was a plus that I didn't expect. Also getting in, pushing a button and just going is a little neater than I expected. It's not like cranking an engine takes a long time but having the literal pushbutton and move start feels even nicer than I would have thought.

That was surprising and a little disconcerting when I test drove a Leaf last year, yeah. I literally asked the sales guy, "Wait. Is it--is it on? Can I reverse now?" :v:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

That was surprising and a little disconcerting when I test drove a Leaf last year, yeah. I literally asked the sales guy, "Wait. Is it--is it on? Can I reverse now?" :v:

Yep, the 1st 2-3 times I drove it I was kind of panicked for a second but now its pretty rad.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Proposed Budget: ~20k
New or Used: new, although open to the idea of certified pre-owned
Body Style: four door sedan
How will you be using the car?: commute, driving about 40 minutes to two hours a day total
What aspects are most important to you?: reliability, low maintenance

Right now I've seen offers for a new 2016 Honda civic for 20k (including taxes and fees) and a 2016 Hyundai Elantra for 17k, but I'll have to find a way to get it from Florida to Pennsylvania. Any suggestions?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

certified pre-owned is bullshit

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Uncertified never owned?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's just a used car bundled with a warranty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ithle01 posted:

Proposed Budget: ~20k
New or Used: new, although open to the idea of certified pre-owned
Body Style: four door sedan
How will you be using the car?: commute, driving about 40 minutes to two hours a day total
What aspects are most important to you?: reliability, low maintenance

Right now I've seen offers for a new 2016 Honda civic for 20k (including taxes and fees) and a 2016 Hyundai Elantra for 17k, but I'll have to find a way to get it from Florida to Pennsylvania. Any suggestions?

you should buy a prius unless you really have a boner for trunks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cpo process:

d-tech gets a checklist of some absurd number of points (for advertising purposes), puts car on lift, goes through and checks off the things. sometimes he might fix something but probably not. the whole process might take an hour and a half. then the car gets a mediocre warranty and is marked up 10% over an equivalent used car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Eh, I've found most CPO cars to be right around the same price as a comparable used. The warranty is nice to have. I wouldn't say it's bullshit, but if you're paying more than you can find a used car for, just be aware of what you're actually paying for.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The biggest thing to remember about a CPO is that it does not replace a PPI.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've been actively comparing cpo vs regular used on Mazdas with less than 10k miles for the past couple of months and I'd guess the premium is around $500 or less.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I know nothing about cars and likely never will so I'm willing to get the cpo just because of the warranty.

So, what's with the thread recommending so many Prius? It seems like it's every other recommendation. (I know nothing about cars so this is an actual question)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If someone doesn't know much about cars and is looking for a driving appliance, it's almost categorically the best choice for a whole host of reasons we go over every few pages.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

powderific posted:

If someone doesn't know much about cars and is looking for a driving appliance, it's almost categorically the best choice for a whole host of reasons we go over every few pages.

Thanks, I've read the thread a bit so I see it getting mentioned and the reasons for buying it, but trying to find one within my price range means getting one used and for some reason there aren't a lot of used Prius in my area so I'll probably have to go looking further out for one if I go that way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What's your area, out of curiosity?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What's your area, out of curiosity?

NE Pennsylvania, I've been to a few dealerships and the Prius that I've seen had more miles on them than I'm willing to go in for, nothing under 60k+ combined with a price well over $10k. Then again, my options were limited to say the least. Thus, I'm looking into something like a Honda Civic because it's within my price range and seems to be reliable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what?

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...urce=QUICK_FORM

that's 50 mile radius of Scranton

edit: on one not that great search site only

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 21, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I've been actively comparing cpo vs regular used on Mazdas with less than 10k miles for the past couple of months and I'd guess the premium is around $500 or less.

The answer isn't "never buy CPO", it's just "don't pay a premium for CPO".

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

There is a small benefit to a manufacturer CPO in that the extended warranty is a 1st party warranty backed by the manufacturer, which is at least worth something, even if most people vastly overestimate its value. Most third party extended warranties aren't even worth wiping your rear end with.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

The answer isn't "never buy CPO", it's just "don't pay a premium for CPO".

This is true. What I was going for was "It's stupid to only consider CPO cars"

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

I have a feeling I know what will be recommended here, but just in case:

Proposed Budget: 15-20k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Small-midsize sedan
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver/occasional errand mobile (~15 miles a day). This will be our 2nd car. My wife drives our Escape to work and my new job isn't super convenient when taking public transit, so I just need something that will get me there and back.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? For this car, not necessarily. Bluetooth, A/C, power everything, that's probably about all I need. Backup cam would be cool but not necessary.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, gas mileage, interior space/headroom/legroom (I'm 6'3), good in snow. I'm in DC

Smells like a Prius based on what everyone else in here posts, just wondering if I'm missing something else. I actually don't mind the look of the 2016 ones.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
You have a million options if you're considering used in your budget. Most cars you can buy within the last five years fulfill all of your parameters. I'd probably start by looking at Civics and Accords, Mazda 3, or whatever else in the segment suits you. If your mileage is low you don't stand to get much out of the premium price Priuses sell for on the used market, and the new ones are outside of your budget.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You're in DC, you don't need a car that's good in snow.

I would not pay the premium for a Prius if I drove ~4,000 miles a year as my canine friend just posted. Go sit in a bunch of stuff and see how well you fit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

If you have somewhere to charge, a used volt might actually work pretty well for you. You'd basically never have to buy fuel and it would help avoid the wear and tear of short drives on the motor.
If you have the insanely subsidized EV leases there, that might be worth considering as well. In CA, the Fiata 500 EV (you would be surprised how big they are inside) has leased for $100 or less with 0 down for 36 months, which is actually a pretty drat good deal. They tended to come with 10k/year milage which isn't an issue if your driving is what you say it is.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I completely forgot about this thread because I've been busy for the last week, but thanks for the advice, especially on the cpo.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just reading the thread not actively looking for anything...but with the Prius talk - anything to look out for on a 2005+ with around 100k as far as repairs or reliability issues? Will be shopping for a 10k or less car for my wife to haul the kids around and make monthly 200+ mile round trips to visit family.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Take it to a Toyota dealer for a test of battery condition. I'd also advise you to load up on as many passive safety features as you can, so read up on trim levels for each specific year. You particularly want traction and stability control. I can't remember if these were always standard on Gen2 or not.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I have our new car narrowed down to a CX-5 Touring FWD or a CR-V SE FWD. Not quite a straight across trim comparison, at that level the Mazda has a few more standard features. I'd go up a trim level on the CR-V but don't want the sunroof. I slightly prefer the Mazda, it's more fun to drive, but this will be my wife's car primarily. She has driven both and likes them equally. I have a friend who got a CX-5 last year new for about $24K OTD, but that dealership is now closed. I guess the CX-5 is skyrocketing in popularity because the Mazda dealers are not moving on price nearly as much as the Honda dealers. Best price I've been able to find so far on CX-5 is about $26.5K OTD. The best price I've gotten locally for the CR-V is almost $3k less than the CX-5, though the MSRP difference between the two is only $650.

Should I keep trying to find a crazy deal on the CX-5, or should I just be happy that I'm getting a good deal on the CR-V? We're fairly price sensitive and I don't think I will have any remorse picking the CR-V if it's a better deal. If autotrader invoice prices are right, $600 over invoice OTD / about $400 under invoice before taxes and actual DMV fees. Another dealership has offered to "beat" the best quote I already have on the CR-V if I come in and talk with them, but given no details. I might try that first since they are closer to my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was shopping those two vehicles in 2013, though the LX versus both the Sport and Touring trims, since the rear camera wasn't available as a standalone option on the Sport at the time. Price difference here was pretty similar as well, and while both my wife and I might have liked the CX-5 a little better, it was not $3000 better on a sub-$30k purchase.

The only thing I find annoying on the CR-V after three years and 81k miles is the lack of power, and that's partly because now the other vehicle I drive is a 260hp Jeep instead of a 110hp Ranger. The 2015+ CR-V gets the CVT as well, and while there's a lot of people in AI who are anti-CVT at all costs, I find the Honda CVT to be perfectly competent in a vehicle where you just aren't ever going to be flogging it around a track. It's also much quicker than the 5-speed automatic in just about any acceleration test, even though the current engine doesn't make much more power than the old K24. The CX-5 isn't going to be any different in that regard anyway.