Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Nuclear torpedoes and ASCROC (basically rocket-launched depth charges) are great for "well there's an enemy nuclear ballistic submarine around here somewhere" which blurs the line between a tactical and counterforce weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

It still seems like there's a distinct possibility that this is all going exactly as planned.

Which sounds :tinfoil: and freaks me out, but anyway.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Let's not get too hasty with the r word. Ted Cruz made a big fuss about how he was gonna endorse the nominee because HE SWORE AN OATH. He said this despite Trump calling Cruz's wife an ugly bag.
Cruz is only doing this because Trump from then till now really got under his skin. He's only doing this for self-indulgent reasons.

gently caress Ted Cruz. TV talkshows are too good a fate for him.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

But the question remains, should we really be allowed to have such devices?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Blind Rasputin posted:

But the question remains, should we really be allowed to have such devices?

Hail SS-18 Satan may his passage cleanse the earth

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

When will we finally unveil our new Trident 50 megatrump ICBMs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GSD posted:

it was mentioned that our military would be rebuilt

what happened to it that requires rebuilding????
it has women in it

http://college.usatoday.com/2016/07/19/mike-pence-mulan-women-military/

quote:

“Despite her delicate features and voice, Disney expects us to believe that Mulan’s ingenuity and courage were enough to carry her to military success on an equal basis with her cloddish cohorts,” Pence wrote in the op-ed. “Obviously, this is Walt Disney’s attempt to add childhood expectation to the cultural debate over the role of women in the military.”

His main argument? Pence says that Mulan’s romance with a superior officer proves that women are unfit to serve in the military.

"Put them together, in close quarters, for long periods of time, and things will get interesting. Just like they eventually did for young Mulan. Moral of story: women in military, bad idea.”

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SSNeoman posted:

Let's not get too hasty with the r word. Ted Cruz made a big fuss about how he was gonna endorse the nominee because HE SWORE AN OATH. He said this despite Trump calling Cruz's wife an ugly bag.
Cruz is only doing this because Trump from then till now really got under his skin. He's only doing this for self-indulgent reasons.

gently caress Ted Cruz. TV talkshows are too good a fate for him.
Ted is, was, and will forever be a giant piece of poo poo. I'm still delighted with his non-endorsement last night for a couple of reasons: 1) Should the unthinkable happen and Trump win, he's going to have a very miserable next few years. People in Congress already hate him with the exception of Mike Lee; nobody would piss on his face were it on fire for fear of drawing Trump's ire. 2)If the most likely scenario occurs and Hillary wins the inability of the crazies to blame their candidate that they rabidly defended for losing on his own merits will mean they'll blame Cruz instead. He'll probably get primaried and lose. He'll find himself on the receiving end of all the whackjob hate he's so carefully stoked these past few years.

And the best part? He could have simply declined to speak at the convention and remained silent on the whole thing and when Trump goes down the shitter fold his arms and calmly say: You should have picked me and maybe have tried again in 2020. But his gigantic ego wouldn't let him, he just had to get in that passive aggressive dig, get that last word in. This is a man who just pissed in the coffeepot at work, even though he knows he's on camera and also he has to drink a big steaming cup of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't like Ted Cruz, but he has bigger balls than all of the bootlickers for sure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't like Ted Cruz, but he has bigger balls than all of the bootlickers for sure.

Chris Christie has been flying around the country carrying Trump's garment bag for the last 3 months.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

mcmagic posted:

Chris Christie has been flying around the country carrying Trump's McDonalds bag for the last 3 months.

ftfy

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

As the potential future vice president of the United States I have some very in depth opinions on the Disney classic Mulan, and furthermore

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Let's not confuse biggest balls with biggest psychopath.

Balls implies that you are pushing through fear and making a courageous act. Cruz gets energized by a crowd of people booing him and threatening to do physical harm.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

Ted is, was, and will forever be a giant piece of poo poo. I'm still delighted with his non-endorsement last night for a couple of reasons: 1) Should the unthinkable happen and Trump win, he's going to have a very miserable next few years. People in Congress already hate him with the exception of Mike Lee; nobody would piss on his face were it on fire for fear of drawing Trump's ire. 2)If the most likely scenario occurs and Hillary wins the inability of the crazies to blame their candidate that they rabidly defended for losing on his own merits will mean they'll blame Cruz instead. He'll probably get primaried and lose. He'll find himself on the receiving end of all the whackjob hate he's so carefully stoked these past few years.

And the best part? He could have simply declined to speak at the convention and remained silent on the whole thing and when Trump goes down the shitter fold his arms and calmly say: You should have picked me and maybe have tried again in 2020. But his gigantic ego wouldn't let him, he just had to get in that passive aggressive dig, get that last word in. This is a man who just pissed in the coffeepot at work, even though he knows he's on camera and also he has to drink a big steaming cup of it.

There's a lot of republicans I can go "Well at least he has stopped clock moments" with.

Ted has been the only person I've ever seen that I can't even say that about. I'm so happy he's destroyed his career with this .poo poo. Only people like Mark Levin are defending this piece of sht.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

nachos posted:

Let's not confuse biggest balls with biggest psychopath.

Balls implies that you are pushing through fear and making a courageous act. Cruz gets energized by a crowd of people booing him and threatening to do physical harm.

Who cares what his motivation is. He did the objectively right thing.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Eh. It behooves him to undercut Trump because it seems unlikely that the Orange One would be successfully primaried if he was a sitting POTUS. Motivation matters here, because he wants the seat for himself, and he has to do his backstabbing routine all day erry day to make sure the position isn't filled with another Republican when he takes his shot in 2020.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

This is a man who just pissed in the coffeepot at work, even though he knows he's on camera and also he has to drink a big steaming cup of it.

This is basically how he's managed his entire political career.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

mcmagic posted:

When fringe leftist candidate Bernie makes an rear end out of himself fighting Hillary to the bitter end, he's a hero fighting for his beliefs. When fringe right-winger Ted Cruz does the same thing to the bloated reincarnation of Benito Mussolini, he's a psychopath.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kumo posted:

Anybody thinking "I sort of respect Ted Cruz more than before." is doing precisely what Ted Cruz wants.

:puppetmaster:

Edit: Oh that's loving annoying

Ted Cruz, T ed Cruz, Ced Truz?

I don't respect Ted Cruz more for doing this but I'm glad to see there' no bridge to yuuge for him to burn.

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, I hope it torpedoes her career, but I doubt that's going to happen. There's just enough plausible deniability for her that they can defend it.

These are the people who defended Trump's wife's speech with My Little Pony references, I don't think anything is impossible anymore.

I don't think you understand the right wing radio audience if you think a nazi salute would hurt her career.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i really wish Reuters would use a different picture for their front page

:gonk:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

at the date posted:

When fringe leftist candidate Bernie makes an rear end out of himself fighting Hillary to the bitter end, he's a hero fighting for his beliefs. When fringe right-winger Ted Cruz does the same thing to the bloated reincarnation of Benito Mussolini, he's a psychopath.

What Bernie did by continuing to campaign and do a 50 state sort of thing to raise progressive issues is not comparable. The reason he continued his campaign was for exactly that reason. It was also to get as many delegates as possible to help push progressive planks on the platform.

Bernie is not going to go on stage in Philadelphia and pull the poo poo that Cruz just did either. He has said "We must stop Trump" multiple times and has said that's his top priority (and why he's supporting Hillary).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i really wish Reuters would use a different picture for their front page

:gonk:

Oh poo poo is Pence the Corinthian?

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Screens dying last night.

https://twitter.com/samsanders/status/755948029157474304

https://twitter.com/mj_lee/status/755947481259585537

https://twitter.com/AndrewHClark/status/755946649579622400

More for my benefit.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So were the people who set the screens up Democrats too?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

at the date posted:

Bernie did the right thing too. Just like Cruz did. He didn't make an rear end of himself at all.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

acejackson42 posted:

A carrier strike group[1] (CSG) is an operational formation of the United States Navy. It is composed of roughly 7,500 personnel, an aircraft carrier, at least one cruiser, a destroyer squadron of at least two destroyers and/or frigates,[2] and a carrier air wing of 65 to 70 aircraft. A carrier strike group also, on occasion, includes submarines, attached logistics ships and a supply ship.
Someday soon those aircraft are going to be F-35s right? Which is hardly better than nothing at all.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The United States currently has 19 commissioned aircraft carriers in service. The rest of the world combined after that has 21. And the US is currently constructing 3 more with another 16 planned. gently caress.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Trump's speech has been leaked.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Krauthammer and Bret Baier talking like Trump has already won

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Krauthammer and Bret Baier talking like Trump has already won

It's possible he already has. Candidates like Trump win by firing up their bases to turn up and vote, and getting their opponents not to take them seriously so they stay home. Seems to be what's happening.

There was an interview with Rob Ford's biographer in the Globe & Mail today where he remarked how much of Ford Nation he saw in Trump's supporters. It's all playing out in much the same way as that election did in Toronto.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

They sure weren't wrong about this being a dark loving doom and gloom speech.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
if he can stay on script, he'll get a significant bump in the polls from that speech. It is what the Chris Hayes tweet said earlier--pure nationalism, but with a dash of Hillary hatred solely on policy. But it doesn't have any huge gaffes in it that I can see. There is no "Hillary for prison" bullshit. So he'll have to go out in public/on twitter and gently caress up like he always does.

Point is, don't put too much stock in the upcoming polls

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It also reads nothing like anything Trump has ever said in his life. It is coherent, has multi-syllable words, and makes clear arguments and points.

Like it's so plainly and blatantly something he had someone else write for him that I honestly can't help but wonder/hope if some of his supporters might see through the facade and be a bit upset with him. It's not very strong or manly to have to read other people's words.

Like, seriously, I'm just flabbergasted how little this sounds like him. Whoever wrote this thing didn't even try to capture Trump's voice, which is funny because Trump's 'charisma' is his selling point as a fascist strongman and front.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Batshit insane evil billionaire Peter Thiel should be fun.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

There was some republican analyst type on NPR this morning saying that if Trump barely loses then the whole party will hate Ted Cruz a lot (I paraphrase) but if Trump loses in a landslide then a lot of people will think that Ted Cruz knew what was up all along. Notably absent was any mention of Trump winning.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Plenty of lies and stupidity in that so it checks out. I wonder how anyone listening to that speech thinks they survived this long with America become a lawless hellhole will people are murdered by the millions every day thanks to Hilary Clinton.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

emdash posted:

if he can stay on script, he'll get a significant bump in the polls from that speech. It is what the Chris Hayes tweet said earlier--pure nationalism, but with a dash of Hillary hatred solely on policy. But it doesn't have any huge gaffes in it that I can see. There is no "Hillary for prison" bullshit. So he'll have to go out in public/on twitter and gently caress up like he always does.

Point is, don't put too much stock in the upcoming polls

The problem with that is I don't think Trump is even capable of staying on script for longer than a minute or so at a time.

It's going to be interesting to see what he ends up doing tonight.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
There is no chance Trump won't veer off script to take a swipe at Cruz.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

withak posted:

There was some republican analyst type on NPR this morning saying that if Trump barely loses then the whole party will hate Ted Cruz a lot (I paraphrase) but if Trump loses in a landslide then a lot of people will think that Ted Cruz knew what was up all along. Notably absent was any mention of Trump winning.

Normally I would agree with that take, but this is Zodiac Killer we are talking about. If it was anyone else, they'd be right. But as has been stated many times on this board, Republicans are so good at holding on to grudges and creating stabbed-in-the-back narratives that even Hitler would be impressed. I cannot imagine any world where Zodiac Killer is forgiven his lifetime of betrayals and backstabbing.

Particularly when the hypothetical impetus for doing so is that he was right and did the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

So do they change the speech or not?

• Locked thread