Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Onmi posted:

Yup, still no improvement.

I had to isolate this amazing element for anyone who, like me, might have missed it when looking at the original.

Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Smoke spice every day?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
DIdn't one of the Sonic writers used to post here? Was that Penders or one of the people after him?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It was Ian Flynn, the guy who more or less singlehandedly refreshed the franchise. Goons drove him off after they got weird and jealous. There was a fair bit of, "shut up, you're too proud of writing Sonic, no-one even cares about non-cape comics anyway!".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Android Blues posted:

It was Ian Flynn, the guy who more or less singlehandedly refreshed the franchise. Goons drove him off after they got weird and jealous. There was a fair bit of, "shut up, you're too proud of writing Sonic, no-one even cares about non-cape comics anyway!".

He was trying way to hard to impress the forum, he went so far as to namedrop BSS in the book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's true, I was super jealous of the guy writing the Sonic comic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah, he should just accomplish nothing, like you two!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alaois posted:

I'd rather stay in retail for the next 10 years than have "wrote furry fantasy nonsense" on my resume.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alaois posted:

You don't need to be so defensive of the Sonic writer, he's going to be just fine.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I'd rather stay in retail for the next 10 years than have "wrote furry fantasy nonsense" on my resume.
There's still time for both!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The guy I'm really jealous of is the writer of Tails Gets Trolled. I'll never create anything that memorable as long as I live.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, the only creators who have stuck around are the ones who don't try to make everything about them. Or insist on signing their posts.

-Gail

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

The guy I'm really jealous of is the writer of Tails Gets Trolled. I'll never create anything that memorable as long as I live.

This but unironically.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was dead serious.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, the only creators who have stuck around are the ones who don't try to make everything about them. Or insist on signing their posts.

-Gail

The guy who wrote Spider Punk is so low key, I can barely remember his user name. Vulpes something, I think.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I'm more jealous of Tyson Heese, but that's because I knew him back when he was more famous for making slightly bigger and better shaded Sonic character sprites and nothing else.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's almost like integrating into the community instead of calling attention to yourself because you're mingling with some of your target audience is a better approach.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, then you wouldn't make all the dorks jealous

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Onmi posted:

I wrote an entire post on it in the Bad Runs thread when it was around. but in summation.

Someone from Sega saw this and then decided to go see what the gently caress was actually going on with the sonic license over at Archie. The whole company and team got shaken up and they offered him a spot as "Backup Writer."

He thought of he said he'd quit they'd immediatly rush to give him everything they wanted. They said "Don't let the door hit your rear end on the way out."

...I need a link to that post :stare:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Die Laughing posted:

The guy who wrote Spider Punk is so low key, I can barely remember his user name. Vulpes something, I think.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Rhyno posted:

He was trying way to hard to impress the forum, he went so far as to namedrop BSS in the book.

Please tell me someone has this saved.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm going to post a few of my favorite pages of the latest issues of Green Arrow and Spider-Man/Deadpool

Green Arrow (2016) #3:

It's all the more impressive to me that this is a series that's been coming out twice a month.

And then there's Spider-Man/Deadpool #7

It's pretty crazy to look at all the detail the artist put in to give it the look of an aged comic. I especially love how it doesn't try to glorify it, reminds me of Super Robot Wars which accurately depicts really old anime exactly how they used to look too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'll just block out the screams of the innocent for a few moments. First, I gotta stretch a bit. :allears:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

It's all the more impressive to me that this is a series that's been coming out twice a month.

Well this is a different artist than was on the first two issues. Otto Schmidt did the first two, that art is by Juan Ferreyra. His art is great, but I'd rather have Schmidt back.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I actually didn't even realize it until you pointed it out, which probably shows just how attentive I am about this sort of thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's a pretty complimentary pairing with Otto. Especially in the painted (or mock-painted) colouring.
For other Rebirth pairs, Doug Mahnke should go well with Pat Gleason since Gleason is so obviously influenced by Mahnke. Too bad there's already been a fill-in artist in #3, but it's still all bright and cartoony, so it's not too grating.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xinder posted:

I have it somewhere but couldn't find it at the time of my post.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That Green Arrow art is just astonishingly gorgeous. The sense of momentum and almost animated action in the fight scene is really very impressive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xinder posted:

Oh hey

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

But the actual chapter is about a shameful secret.

An actual reference would be like... when Jon Grey did to the /co/ and /co+/ to Shadow and Silver's cans for the 50th issue of Sonic Universe. That's both blatant and literally there to say "Hi"

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm a bit disappointed because I expected it to be blatant. But yeah, if he was posting here at the time then there's no way that wording is coincidental.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Why is the top half of her skull floating away?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Travis343 posted:

Why is the top half of her skull floating away?

That's a hologram. It's very poorly shown that it's a hologram But Tracey Yardley is generally a very good artist.

EDIT: If a character design looks incredibly dumb (all of the third set for example.) Those are pre-boot characters. You see... Archie's artists didn't know how the gently caress they were meant to design Sonic characters, after all it's just so complex... So they just made them animal-people, They used to look much worse than that. You should have seen the Knuckles/Sonic spin offs who just... have hair for some reason, because I'm guessing Sonic and Knuckles are bald.

At least they aren't Porky Pig and friends.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 22, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Unsurprisingly, I see no difference between the good and bad characters on that sheet.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Unsurprisingly, I see no difference between the good and bad characters on that sheet.

We know, but we'll find a medical cure for you yet.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There have to be numerous better ways to depict a hologram than just having the top half of someone's skull float away.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I think that stuff looks good and some people seem really weird about their anger that someone tried to vaguely reference BSS in a comic, but I wasn't really paying attention to things then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Travis343 posted:

There have to be numerous better ways to depict a hologram than just having the top half of someone's skull float away.

The image is cut off- there's more distortion going on with it and it's clearly being emitted from something, iirc.