Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Waffleman_ posted:

Something that kinda stuck out at me. From 999, you get the feeling that Junpei and Akane lived in Japan. However, Akane's father was the one falsely accused of Eric's mom's murder by Mira's hand, insinuating that Akane's family lived in America. It makes me wonder if somewhere along the line, Junpei and Akane were retconned from being Japanese into being Japanese-American when the series built a more western appeal and fanbase.
I thought they stated in 999 that Akane and her family moved out after meeting Junpei, they just didn't say it was out of the city or even out of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Txn posted:

I thought they stated in 999 that Akane and her family moved out after meeting Junpei, they just didn't say it was out of the city or even out of the country.

I think I remember that now. It's been a while since I read much of 999.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

The one thing I do appreciate that was mentioned in a q and a/interview was that because it's all the same ward, Gab actually had a small room in the vent with a bed for him to lay on.

There's been no q&a or interview yet, that's in the in-game files.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
If there is an extended Q&A for this game, I hope we get more ridiculous answers like Diana being a confirmed Trump supporter.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

W.T. Fits posted:

Agreed, which begs the question of why it's not in the OP.

how many times do i have to change the op before you people are satisfied.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

alcharagia posted:

At least one more time, so that you can have both the video and those previous images in there.

Life is simply unfair.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Does anyone know why completing the decision game at the beginning unlocks timelines for everyone, not just the timeline that you create?

Like if D team dies, you still unlock poo poo for D team. It seems like a really puzzling decision that serves to confuse people.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I think a better ending for Eric would be for him to hook up with Clover

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Does anyone know why completing the decision game at the beginning unlocks timelines for everyone, not just the timeline that you create?

Like if D team dies, you still unlock poo poo for D team. It seems like a really puzzling decision that serves to confuse people.

If you're playing Zero Esacpe at this point, you can probably expect to be going through multiple timelines with multiple possibilities, so you're prepared for some people to be alive when they should be dead in a more linear story.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Except normally Zero Escape games make you make the decision that causes the different timelines. It gets really weird when you hit the point where the Sean scene doesn't unlock because even though every timeline has been available to you now is when they decide to gate you because you didn't see one of the teams die.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

If you're playing Zero Esacpe at this point, you can probably expect to be going through multiple timelines with multiple possibilities, so you're prepared for some people to be alive when they should be dead in a more linear story.

Yeah, I understand that. My point is that its a puzzingly bad design decision when some of those timelines are arbitrarily set behind getting all of the outcomes, when some just unlock for getting one. It's the reason so many people get stuck there.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

alcharagia posted:

every time you shift to a new op you kill off the previous op. Are further changes morally justifiable?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

U-DO Burger posted:

every time you shift to a new op you kill off the previous op. Are further changes morally justifiable?

:golfclap:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Van Dine posted:

I accessed the morphogenetic field, of course. :science:

And the information I gained from it led me to do it the same way you did the rotating puzzle you had trouble with, by looking up someone's playthrough on Youtube and painstakingly pausing and restarting the video to copy the movements. I was so relieved that it actually worked (as, after all, while trying to copy the movements it's not as if I could have known if I'd messed it up until the last moment). I hadn't waited so many years for Zero Escape 3 only to be defeated by an invisible puzzle! But if there hadn't been any video walkthroughs, I would have been 100% out of luck and left to reflect on how life is simply unfair. Should I ever set up a nonary/decision game, I'll make sure to include an invisible pattern-matching puzzle.

It did feel like getting psychic help for the puzzle, didn't it? Maybe instead of invisible pattern-matching, it could be invisible Sudoku? :cheeky:

Good thing those puzzles always have the same starting position. I actually missed just one rotation somewhere along the way when I was doing it, so mine failed at first and I freaked out thinking I'd be totally stuck. But I hoped that maybe I'd just been a little sloppy and figured it was worth at least rotating a few more things blindly before I started all over. I picked an adjacent panel, rotated it once, checked it, and then it worked. That was a pretty powerful feeling of relief right there, to put it mildly.

The really strange thing though, is that all the other rotating polyhedron puzzles worked perfectly fine for me. It was only that dragon one that was hosed up. :confused:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
can anyone explain how Sean works?

he's basically a computer that knows everything, right?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone know where you can find the fan-made content without canvasing the entire thread? I'd rely on the op but it seems to suffer from a bad case of SHIFT.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Tired Moritz posted:

can anyone explain how Sean works?

he's basically a computer that knows everything, right?

He's a consciousness running as part of the activity occurring in a quantum computer. The computer runs many things happening in the bomb shelter (Edit: such as detecting if an incorrect X-PASS is one that would be developed in another timeline) and Sean is just one of them, and the knowledge and personality of Sean are kept separate from the other operations of the computer.

In part of its operation as a quantum computer, the computer computes across multiple timelines , and Sean eventually develops access to SEAN DATA on these different timelines, letting him remember things like passcodes and other knowledges that he otherwise wouldn't have. Eventually, he also gains the ability to essentially SHIFT by doing something along those lines but in reverse, forcing knowledges to another timeline's computation of Sean's personality.

Edit2: Presumably, the quantum computer provided major assistance to Delta in planning things out, considering it can result in a SHIFTing intelligence.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 22, 2016

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I thought the whole thing was Sean wasn't shifting but calculating every possible timeline and just using that knowledge to answer questions he wouldn't know.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
As far as I know, the quantum computer can connect to itself on other timelines like a big stupid time internet, so Sean doesn't really SHIFT as much as he just googles poo poo from other timelines. Also Delta mentions he downloaded Sean from the timeline where everyone shifted and uploaded that Sean to the golden timeline

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MiddleOne posted:

Does anyone know where you can find the fan-made content without canvasing the entire thread? I'd rely on the op but it seems to suffer from a bad case of SHIFT.

It's no use. You were born a shitter.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

alcharagia posted:

When a large number of shitters converge, there is a shitter resonance. Even those without shitter abilities become shitters.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

alcharagia posted:

But what if I MIND HACK my poo poo?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
technically, if Sean knows everything, why doesn't he just point everything out at the beginning?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Tired Moritz posted:

technically, if Sean knows everything, why doesn't he just point everything out at the beginning?

because when you're the weird kid with a fish bowl for a head and you start talking about alternate timelines and the crippled man in the wheelchair mind hacking everyone, you're gonna get lmfao'd outta the facility

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

He has amnesia.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

He's a program on the computer, not the computer itself. I assume the quantum computer lets him know certain things depending on where he's located in spacetime. or something.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

NRVNQSR posted:

He has amnesia.

how does a robot have amnesia?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

run amnesia.bat

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

how does a robot have amnesia?

That sounds like something Eric would ask.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

If I remember right, Zero was wiping Sean's local memory just like the drug was supposed to do. Zero also controlled the quantum computer for most of the game so he could trigger things in Sean directly.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Sean doesn't have amnesia, but he doesn't have any memories either - he had only just been activated, as I believe was stated in the conversation he has with Zero in the QC Room.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Was the origin of the quantum computer ever explained? Or did Delta get it from the same source as the transporter?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's the future, he built it. It's not considered as much of a magical sci-fi device as the transporter.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ThePariah posted:

Was the origin of the quantum computer ever explained? Or did Delta get it from the same source as the transporter?

Delta infers in that very ending that the original Sean had a superhuman understanding of multiple fields of science and that he used to ask him for help on stuff before he died.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

MiddleOne posted:

Delta infers in that very ending that the original Sean had a superhuman understanding of multiple fields of science and that he used to ask him for help on stuff before he died.

I don't understand how you came to this conclusion. I just figured "he was a really gifted kid" and "he's the leader of Free the Soul" would have led to both things.

And Mind Hacking.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Because why even mention it otherwise. Chekhov's kid. :colbert:

It would also explain why Delta felt he owed Sean. He couldn't have pulled of his ridiculous deathbunker without him.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I want to see a sitcom or something where YoungSigma returns to his body to find that he and Diana are the mother of the woman he spent a lot of time chumming around with in the future and is now constantly on the verge of a mental breakdown from all this new information, while Diana keeps mothering Phi and treating her like a rebellious youth instead of a peer.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm going through the game now again, watching my husband play. (and helping out whenever the graphical glitches get too annoying) One nice thing I noticed is the ceiling in the lounge room to foreshadow the teams working at different times. When you're going through the beginning chat and deciding what to do about the execution vote, each fragment features a shot of the glass dome in the ceiling. For C-Team and Q-Team, the light coming through is bright white. But in D-Team it's more yellow.

The first fragment my hubby picked after doing all the votes now is the rec room. This is gonna be great. :getin: But now I wonder, what if the real solution to the diceroll was to ignore the whole puzzle, never finish it to activate the armor in the first place, and just sit around drinking with Junpei for the whole 90 minutes?

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Uchikoshi in VLR Q&A posted:

Q2: What happened to Snake/Light during the events of VLR?

Did he search for Clover for 45 years, like how Junpei still searched for Akane?

A: This will be revealed in the 3rd game. I hope you guys look forward to it.

Q10: Where is Aoi during VLR?
A: This will be revealed on the 3rd game. Hope you guys look forward to it.

Q21: What’s going on with Ace? Does he die or escape from prison when Radical-6 hits?
A: This will be revealed in the 3rd game. I hope you guys look forward to it.
Q: How did Brother manage to keep his brother’s DNA intact/uncorrupted until the technology to clone (Dio/Left, 4th generation Myrmidon leader) him became available?
Also, when was human cloning invented in the VLR timeline, and when was the first generation of Left clones gestated?
A: This will be revealed in the 3rd game. I hope you guys look forward to it!

I feel like I would have liked ZTD more if Uchikoshi didn't keep telling us X or Y would be explained. He ended up explaining such little things like Akane's ring but failed to follow through on bigger promises.
Also we were told in VLR that all of the technology in the Nonary Game (Gaulems, Quantum Computers, Bracelets, etc.) was invented by Young Sigma over the next 45 years. But then we see all of that technology and some even more advanced stuff in ZTD. So is 10 years from now just like, a massive boom in technological advances? VLR is far enough in the future that I could buy the technology but ZTD seems too close to the present.

Also I think my biggest break of suspension of disbelief is just that Delta is casually 124 and like, yeah, that's fine, and Old Phi also lives that long. Like, Why? Couldn't they have just had them transported to 1935 or something so that he wasn't absurdly old? Also, I don't think him being Brother really added anything to ZTD's story and just made VLR more confusing in retrospect. Especially because Radical-6 was apparently named by that researcher whose journal we found in VLR. So why did we already have the name and everything about it in ZTD? That didn't happen yet!

It would've made a lot more sense if like, Delta wasn't Brother, but, like Akane, had lured them into supplying the Radical-6. Like, maybe Free The Soul gave the Radical-6 to Delta (in Old Man Disguise) as "medicine" for him to take and then spread, but then he mind-hacked them and learned what it was, and decided to utilize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm also frustrated by some of those things, but I do really like the main idea of Delta being Brother. Being born in the setting of a Nonary Decision game to parents who were already psychic (Diana does get lots of glimpses of other timelines early on) is a very fitting origin story for a figure like Brother. He ends up with even more ridiculous powers, which then lead to his disillusionment with humanity and becoming a cult figure, trying to manipulate the world in ways the other Zeros would never even dream of.

It would just be a bit easier to sell if it didn't also come packaged with all the crazy technology too. The age thing didn't bug me as much, though.

• Locked thread