Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I have a python. It is nice but now I am done building it and I want to build something else. The Imperial Clipper and Federal Assault Ship have similar jump ranges and hardpoint quantities. Similar rep grinds can apply to both. Both cost less to insure than a python. Is either better at causing explosions than the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

When they finally release something other than the Scarab for surface driving, hopefully a tank / AA-missile unit will make ground combat zones really fun.

Multicrew + tank in hold + 'hot drop' deploying pls Frontier.

A mako :getin:
E: That actually sounds pretty badass.

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 20, 2016

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

DreadLlama posted:

I have a python. It is nice but now I am done building it and I want to build something else. The Imperial Clipper and Federal Assault Ship have similar jump ranges and hardpoint quantities. Similar rep grinds can apply to both. Both cost less to insure than a python. Is either better at causing explosions than the other?

The Federal Assault Ship is my favorite ship in the game. It's basically a bigger, meaner Vulture. It's very maneuverable in all directions, and has excellent armor. The shields are garbage, so don't bother stacking shield boosters; take more chaff/heatsinks instead. It has a pretty narrow gimbal convergence window because of where its guns are mounted (the top weapon mount can't shoot far below the nose, and the three on the bottom can't shoot far above), but you get used to it.

The Clipper is faster, but it won't effortlessly turn with every ship like the FAS can; you have to focus more on speed and positioning, the way you would in a Viper when fighting an Eagle. IIRC the Clipper has much better yaw performance than pitch, so you'd want to get used to steering it around that way. It's a very popular and capable combat ship, and is a much better multi-purpose ship than the FAS, so it's more comparable to the Python outside of combat, albeit unable to land on outposts due to its size.

Personally, I'd go FAS if you only care about combat (or keep other ships around for mining/trading/etc.), or the Clipper if you want a jack-of-all-trades.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I think I'm going to like the FAS.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

you can out-tank almost anything you'll encounter

How do you make a clipper tank well? I imagine hull tanking? Because shields seem awfully low for the size of that thing. A courier has higher base shield somehow.

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
FDEV keep a number of shadowstats and you can request them like this: make a support ticket for ED under in game issue and ask nicely. Within 30 min to an hour support will usually reply:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Speaking of triple suns, I guess it's better to be lucky than good?

That's where I came out of witchspace in the first picture. If the orbits had been a little different...

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

How should I be fighting in my conda? I went to a high res and it killed everything but my shields were getting really low over time and had a scary moment against another conda where he popped my shields and put me down to 40% hull pretty quickly. I got the kill and escaped to repair but it made me feel like I am doing something wrong. Should I be using my shield cell banks between fights to recharge my shields near full or are they more of a in a fight emergency oh poo poo. I also wasn't sure how much a shield cell filled compared to my total shields. Is that something I just need to learn to eyeball?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Shield cells fill a given amount of MJ which you can see on the Outfitting screen when you buy them. Shields should* display their effective MJ on that screen too, but if you've tinkered with them it's more difficult to say. Once you know the total MJ of your shields you can figure out how much a cell restores using the first figure.

*Am currently beyond the rift and can't remember whether that's true.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Truga posted:

How do you make a clipper tank well? I imagine hull tanking? Because shields seem awfully low for the size of that thing. A courier has higher base shield somehow.

You can't really shield tank. Vulture level shields are achievable with prismatics and thats about it I believe. I upgraded mine to A everything (inc hull tank, minus the prismatics) recently and tried that out in a hazres, down to 80% hull just taking on another clipper :/ FAS for fights

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Truga posted:

Mainly hull, yes. But remember, I'm talking most about RES ratting here, so even pretty low shields will go a long way (unless/until you go up against some nasty Elite gunship or clipper with Engineer mods). I'd definitely recommend an AFMU for when the shield breaks, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that's how I did my ratting in clipper. If poo poo turned south for whatever reason I'd just boost away and restore my shield (which is also why I use bi-weave), ramming anything tiny enough to keep up on the way so it doesn't follow me.

I later sold it, but I think I'll rebuy it this weekend and start grinding up for the FSD range and dirty drive engineer upgrades. :kheldragar: Python was stupid good as multipurpose, but clipper doesn't feel worse in any way except the landing pad thing and having a silly small internal fuel tank (only 4 jumps), but is a much, much funner flyer.

Speaking of engineer upgrades, what's the fastest way to rank up engineers? Just buy cheapest upgrades as many times as possible?

vvv: Great, thanks!

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 20, 2016

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Truga posted:

Speaking of engineer upgrades, what's the fastest way to rank up engineers? Just buy cheapest upgrades as many times as possible?

Yeah, basically buy the highest level upgrades that have easily obtainable components. Here is a useful guide:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/271640-All-engineers-leveled-to-grade-5-a-brag-a-guide-and-a-feedback

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Rectus posted:

Yeah, basically buy the highest level upgrades that have easily obtainable components. Here is a useful guide:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/271640-All-engineers-leveled-to-grade-5-a-brag-a-guide-and-a-feedback

Bookmarked for later.

I've been lazy about the engineers because finding the materials just seems like too much :effort:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MoraleHazard posted:

Bookmarked for later.

I've been lazy about the engineers because finding the materials just seems like too much :effort:

By the sound of it, they're addressing that in some later update, so even FDev agree with you. That's saying something. :D

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
Zac and the bunch actually came through on the API...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_9lIpcOxth3Uno5SldGa0szOWs/view

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I am now KOS to most DF factions. Yay.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Wonder how the fdl racks up against the FAS in combat. Anyone tried both recently?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Wonder how the fdl racks up against the FAS in combat. Anyone tried both recently?

Only briefly and not against each other, as such, but from my limited experience:

FdL has more spank and (slightly) less overall tank, in particular since the FAS' gun placement is horrible — but if you prefer shield to hull, the FdL wins on both counts. It also feels more agile, but that could just be numbers-placebo from the lower mass in spite of the two being equally rated on agility. Experimenting with the FAS seems to offer more ability to play around for different roles, whereas the FdL is more combat oriented (horrible fuel tank, few internals, but lots of utility slots). The FAS is also a hellalot cheaper to buy (and to lose).

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
After 3 days of grinding I finally have my 3x OC MC level 5 upgrades. Also I managed to get KOS status on every goon fleet. And got banned by DF from the forums for some reason. Anyone know of a good casual faction?

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 21, 2016

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Kind of excited about the Jacques station CG! Yeah it's just another haulage to a distant spot but I've been wanting to build a long haul ship to carry cargo out there and this gives it purpose other than RP or whatever.

The real question is do I just fit my clipper to do it and maybe sneak in 2 runs during the CG or try to blitz up to a cutter and do one run. I want to do the latter but that's a heck of a lot of credits (and some rank) in a very short period of time if I don't want to also have to go super hard flying out there.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

That system is retarded far. Jacques can go gently caress himself.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Whatever choice you end up doing, engineer up even a basic FSD jump range mod. If you've never done a trek this big, you're looking at at least one thousand jumps.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Chrysophylax posted:

Whatever choice you end up doing, engineer up even a basic FSD jump range mod. If you've never done a trek this big, you're looking at at least one thousand jumps.

For sure, I have a 3 rank FSD upgrade on my clipper. I did a quick shakedown jaunt out to the Statue of Liberty nebula which was only ~6kLy so this would be quite a bit more. Isn't Jacques like 22kLy?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Anyone know how much bounty hunting it takes to start messing with the inf of an Anarchy system? I need a goal.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Panch posted:

Kind of excited about the Jacques station CG! Yeah it's just another haulage to a distant spot but I've been wanting to build a long haul ship to carry cargo out there and this gives it purpose other than RP or whatever.

The real question is do I just fit my clipper to do it and maybe sneak in 2 runs during the CG or try to blitz up to a cutter and do one run. I want to do the latter but that's a heck of a lot of credits (and some rank) in a very short period of time if I don't want to also have to go super hard flying out there.

I was debating kitting out a long-legged jumpaconda so that the trip back isn't quite as suicidal, but I'm also loathe to do it without having ground out the engineering FSD bullshit.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I was debating kitting out a long-legged jumpaconda so that the trip back isn't quite as suicidal, but I'm also loathe to do it without having ground out the engineering FSD bullshit.

Suppose it depends on whether you enjoy the travel grind or the material grind more. I only had to spend an hour or two seeking the materials for FSD range 3 because I had a stock of mission-reward materials from grinding rep. I imagine trying to get rank 4/5 would be significantly more of a pain in the rear end.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Panch posted:

Suppose it depends on whether you enjoy the travel grind or the material grind more. I only had to spend an hour or two seeking the materials for FSD range 3 because I had a stock of mission-reward materials from grinding rep. I imagine trying to get rank 4/5 would be significantly more of a pain in the rear end.

Both are gameplay in reasonable doses, I'm just in a great loop of:

1. I need a better FSD so that I can haul more efficiently,
2. getting a better FSD requires doing the engineer grind,
3. the engineer grind will be reduced in the near future so I shouldn't start it now, but
4. hauling with the lovely FSD feels like it's a waste of time, so
GOTO 1

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Will there be anything out there other than general RP poo poo?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

3. the engineer grind will be reduced in the near future so I shouldn't start it now, but
GOTO 1

FSD mods aren't that bad, except for the ground prospecting stuff. The thing is that Jaques Station is really far off, so anything that makes even the slightest difference in your trip will really add up. Take the potential benefit of a FSD mod, and then multiply that by a thousand, because that's how many jumps it'll probably take to get out there. And then double that, to cover the trip back too. A couple hours spent on engineer mats now could save you a few hours later.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

GOTO 1

I guess my plan when I get back to the bubble will be: estimate how many hours it will take me to get this upgrade/what Time I am willing to spend. If that is equal to or less than what it would save in travel time on my next planned trip, then ok let's get it before I head out there.

I realize that time estimate is the key part, though. And at the end of the day it doesn't help you much because I can totally understand getting stuck in a "but I could just wait until it's not as loving tedious" loop. I am guessing going for my rank 4 or 5 will put me there too.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

OK, screw it, I'm doing this Jacques thing tonight. Almost have the itch to explore for a while anyhow. Anyone got a ready made build for a conda doing this, or do I just wing it? I'm guessing as light as possible, good scoop, afm, heat sink, and maybe a detailed surface scanner.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I have a sudden desire to get back to the game.

Can some kind soul estimate for me how much grind it would be to pimp up somewhat decently in all areas my main ships with engineers upgrades considering I start from zero? (vulture and maybe also a clipper if I get around to rebuying one)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wolfechu posted:

OK, screw it, I'm doing this Jacques thing tonight. Almost have the itch to explore for a while anyhow. Anyone got a ready made build for a conda doing this, or do I just wing it? I'm guessing as light as possible, good scoop, afm, heat sink, and maybe a detailed surface scanner.

With an empty cargo hold, zero mistakes, and no stopping to scan anything, it takes around eight hours to get to Jaques. By which I mean eight straight hours of active playtime in which you are heading straight there as fast as possible. Even longer if you load up your cargo hold with poo poo to carry out there. It is really far out! If you've never explored before, Jaques isn't a good first trip.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TorakFade posted:

I have a sudden desire to get back to the game.

Can some kind soul estimate for me how much grind it would be to pimp up somewhat decently in all areas my main ships with engineers upgrades considering I start from zero? (vulture and maybe also a clipper if I get around to rebuying one)

Wait until the next patch (due soon) before you bother with engineer upgrades.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
https://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/0patnFklndksxf5------1717--------3i050505040404B3032f2i.Iw18ZlA=.Aw18ZlA=

poo poo build I threw together with the auto build but something like that

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Wolfechu posted:

But seriously dude, have you considered NOT spending a literal entire day doing nothing but pressing "engage hyperdrive" repeatedly?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

With an empty cargo hold, zero mistakes, and no stopping to scan anything, it takes around eight hours to get to Jaques. By which I mean eight straight hours of active playtime in which you are heading straight there as fast as possible. Even longer if you load up your cargo hold with poo poo to carry out there. It is really far out! If you've never explored before, Jaques isn't a good first trip.

Yeah, it's what, about 22k ly? I've done the sag a* run before, but in an asp. I'm estimating a laden conda stripped down will get a similar jump range.
And thanks guys, I'll check that build out tonight!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Oh I see, you're already space mad. Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

BMan posted:

But seriously dude, have you considered NOT spending a literal entire day doing nothing but pressing "engage hyperdrive" repeatedly?

Been there, done it, got the tshirt at Sag A ;) It's actually fairly soothing if youre catching up on TV shows in the background. At least I think so. But then, I'm the guy who liked fishing jn Wow.

• Locked thread