Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Snak posted:

This is me.

I have a lot of trouble with keeping up with monsters. And I attack too close and my combo takes me through the monster and then I have to turn around. Which usually involves getting hit a lot.

Im getting better though.

Don't worry the better hunters have infinite patience for people to learn their weapons in LR and most of HR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MDDY
Mar 21, 2008

Syka posted:

Counterpoint: Mine works great.

I did have to power-cycle a few times to get it to detect all the directions properly, though. And yeah, it's 100% stiff because that's how the nub works. It's pressure sensitive, it doesn't move around at all. I find the PSP cap a lot more comfortable to use than the original nub.

I would be more receptive to it if I could get it to work in this manner. Mine seemed to slip a little no matter what I did. Did you put yours on straight or at a 45 degree angle to line up with the groove in the PSP cap?

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Syle187 posted:

I would be more receptive to it if I could get it to work in this manner. Mine seemed to slip a little no matter what I did. Did you put yours on straight or at a 45 degree angle to line up with the groove in the PSP cap?

I did it at a 45 degree angle.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Friend posted:

Hold a direction while triggering an adept dodge to change direction. You can do a 180 and hit the thing you just dodged through (unless you dodged through a charge and it's on the other side of the map now.)

Yeah, this. It feels really awkward at first and you might have to charge in blind (aka. running towards the camera) but eventually you'll get better at it. I've basically been playing nothing but Adept everything and I can consistently dodge through an attack, angle the camera towards the mob and charge right back at them now. It just takes a particular set of inputs in the right order but it's very much doable. :3:

My only fear is that my immense love for Adept will make it hard for me to go back to the previous games..

e: it's just so great to be able to face enemies head on instead of running away. Enemy charges you? Charge right back at them and use their enormous hitbox against them :black101: maybe it's my Dark Souls instincts, but dodging into attacks and countering feels so natural to me.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 21, 2016

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Does anybody know which part of Nakarkos is his outer shell? His butt? And what's his sonic bomb timing?

MDDY
Mar 21, 2008

Syka posted:

I did it at a 45 degree angle.

Hmm, alright. I tried it again and it seemed to work a little better this time. It registers all the directions properly. The thing I don't like in particular is that if I press it too far in one direction the cap stays tilted rather than returning to center, if that makes sense. It just feels a bit off. How much someone likes this probably depends on how much they hate the nub.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Snak posted:

This is me.

I have a lot of trouble with keeping up with monsters. And I attack too close and my combo takes me through the monster and then I have to turn around. Which usually involves getting hit a lot.

Im getting better though.

I'm with ya. I'm just now able to keep a consistent yellow with stuff I know. Against stuff I don't know I'm lucky to have white.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Mortimer posted:

kelbi horns, buy em from the trader

I just tried that and it didn't cycle for some reason. :negative:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Is there some weird thing with Lance where if your first attack of a combo bounces off all other attacks in that combo will bounce off as well? It seems like if the first attack bounces I have to stop the combo or literally every attack after will continue to bounce. Hopefully what I'm describing makes sense, it's not even just only on the hard body parts as it happens just attacking the body as well.

Also I'm pretty sure Lance is a dying breed, not anime enough compared to the other weapons. Also watching people online beat stuff in half the time with some of the other weapons probably has a lot to do with it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh jeez, aerial SnS is pretty sick :stare: I decided to try it out on a Najarala (the perfect candidate) and by the time I figured it was time to apply the Affinity Oil and go ham it just kinda.. died. Only 1 application of oil, didn't even leave the room it spawned in. Broke several parts.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

katkillad2 posted:

Is there some weird thing with Lance where if your first attack of a combo bounces off all other attacks in that combo will bounce off as well? It seems like if the first attack bounces I have to stop the combo or literally every attack after will continue to bounce. Hopefully what I'm describing makes sense, it's not even just only on the hard body parts as it happens just attacking the body as well.

Also I'm pretty sure Lance is a dying breed, not anime enough compared to the other weapons. Also watching people online beat stuff in half the time with some of the other weapons probably has a lot to do with it.

I don't think I have even tried lance in MhGen yet. Apparently word of mouth is that Striker is the only style worth using because it's the only one that allows for evade lancing?

I was never a fan of evade lancing in MH4U, mostly as a stylistic thing--why the hell would you carry around that shield, then--so that's made me leery of even trying it, i guess.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

katkillad2 posted:

How would you continue a combo if you're bouncing off :confused:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I don't think I have even tried lance in MhGen yet. Apparently word of mouth is that Striker is the only style worth using because it's the only one that allows for evade lancing?

I was never a fan of evade lancing in MH4U, mostly as a stylistic thing--why the hell would you carry around that shield, then--so that's made me leery of even trying it, i guess.
Evade Lancing is the best way to play, apparently, but I have success as a Guard Lancer because I'm poo poo at evading. As long as you have the Guard+2 skill, you can stick to the monster like glue and and just never stop stabbing it. I love it. Striker allowing for Absolute Evades at will to get out of pinches is pretty helpful though!

EDIT: Note, Guard+2 isn't necessary but it is super helpful later on. I'm doing fine without it so far, I'm still Bujabujabu-ing my way through LR.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 21, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Should I not try the adept styles until I'm higher ranked, or is it okay to try those even if I'm relatively new to the game? Also, where do I go to sign up for the goon guild or whatever?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Should I not try the adept styles until I'm higher ranked, or is it okay to try those even if I'm relatively new to the game?

I'm completely new to Monster Hunter and I love Adept. Don't let the name fool you, I find it to be the easiest style for most weapons since your dodges are so much more effective even if you can't take advantage of the counterattack. :shobon:

Try everything though, because all of it is fun and which style and weapon you use is just personal preference!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
In old MH you'd probably get evasion +2 in HR so trying adept (which is Eva +2) is pretty fine.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 21, 2016

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

BMan posted:

How would you continue a combo if you're bouncing off :confused:

Maybe I'm just explaining poorly. If my first attack of the combo bounces, then every attack afterwards when I'm trying to either continue that combo or immediately restart the combo will continue to bounce unless I wait a second or so inbetween inputs from when that first attack bounced.

Edit:

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Evade Lancing is the best way to play, apparently, but I have success as a Guard Lancer because I'm poo poo at evading. As long as you have the Guard+2 skill, you can stick to the monster like glue and and just never stop stabbing it. I love it. Striker allowing for Absolute Evades at will to get out of pinches is pretty helpful though!

EDIT: Note, Guard+2 isn't necessary but it is super helpful later on. I'm doing fine without it so far, I'm still Bujabujabu-ing my way through LR.

Looking forward to trying out both evade lancing and just stacking up on Guard, but don't think I've got the right armor available for either of them yet. Also still just wearing an upgraded Buja set. I made a Hermitaur armor set since it had better defense, but so far I've not actually needed to wear it for any fights.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 21, 2016

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Ok, how do I get the egg back to base as a cat in VH? Did it for the Astalos intro by eating for lander and jumping off cliffs, but apparently cats don't get lander?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

CommunityEdition posted:

Ok, how do I get the egg back to base as a cat in VH? Did it for the Astalos intro by eating for lander and jumping off cliffs, but apparently cats don't get lander?
Look carefully on the cliffs. There's a lot of short drops you can take. When you leave the cave the initial stairway is on the right somewhere.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Walk up to a ledge and press A to climb down it (also works if you're not a cat)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow, they're really not pulling any punches in Village 5, are they. Hunt a Cephadrome, Nibelsnarf and a Gendrome.. at the same time?! :stonk:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Your Computer posted:

Wow, they're really not pulling any punches in Village 5, are they. Hunt a Cephadrome, Nibelsnarf and a Gendrome.. at the same time?! :stonk:

Dung bombs are your friend.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You should have some extremely strong weapons too at that point.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

katkillad2 posted:

Maybe I'm just explaining poorly. If my first attack of the combo bounces, then every attack afterwards when I'm trying to either continue that combo or immediately restart the combo will continue to bounce unless I wait a second or so inbetween inputs from when that first attack bounced.

Edit:

Looking forward to trying out both evade lancing and just stacking up on Guard, but don't think I've got the right armor available for either of them yet. Also still just wearing an upgraded Buja set. I made a Hermitaur armor set since it had better defense, but so far I've not actually needed to wear it for any fights.

You still are hitting something too hard. Lance has no built in mind's eye like switch axe, so hitting armor is very disruptive. The combo will work properly if you return hitting something you can pierce. You just have to clean up what you are hitting. That or you are going for a hard break.

You can touch evade lancing pretty quick, armor is available for it roughly the same as the crab. Lagombi has evade + you can gem into and unlocks at the same level as the crab. For a different take, nargacuga has evade extender but it is less forgiving. It does allow for some more aggressive plays though once you get used to it. The best to practice first is nargacuga, cause of its easy tells. Other monsters which works well with evade is the crabs. Agnanktor jump rope and plesioth hip check (yes, that hip check) are also good with evade, though they are much later.

Both styles are totally viable though, with monsters being more weak to one over the other. Generally evade is better on a lot of fights but guard is stronger on others, like Brachydios. One of the reasons why I love the weapon is that you can play it in two very distinct ways.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

You should have some extremely strong weapons too at that point.

What good are weapons when you can't hit the monster? :shepicide: Either way, I'm not gonna do that quest for a while because I finally got access to Gammoth. I'm gonna be busy killing him over and over for the next week until I get all his armor and weapons because drat if his stuff isn't my aesthetic.

Still haven't gotten the Nargacuga weapons (and still missing gloves) though, because despite sleepbombing, mind's eye oil and knowing where the break point is I just can't seem to break his wings before he dies. :(

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like I'm missing something with Adept Hammer. I've used hammer in every MH game I've played and I just can't do anything with Adept. I never die because Evade +2 is busted but I can count the number of times I've successfully landed the Adept charge on one hand. Maybe it's because I'm still grinding through low rank where Capcom felt it appropriate to replace difficult monsters with smaller hyper-mobile ones, but it's a struggle. Guild and Aerial feel a lot better.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Your Computer posted:

What good are weapons when you can't hit the monster? :shepicide: Either way, I'm not gonna do that quest for a while because I finally got access to Gammoth. I'm gonna be busy killing him over and over for the next week until I get all his armor and weapons because drat if his stuff isn't my aesthetic.

Still haven't gotten the Nargacuga weapons (and still missing gloves) though, because despite sleepbombing, mind's eye oil and knowing where the break point is I just can't seem to break his wings before he dies. :(

Go solo the guild hall version. It has enough health to survive considering you are focusing a part.

Alternatively, try gunning the wings off. I think captures also gives you chances on more wings, not sure.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Your Computer posted:

Why are you using Mind's Eye oil instead of Destroyer oil, the oil that exists specifically to make breaking parts easier without doing more HP damage?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Isn't Lance currently the top weapon for clear times, with gunlance at the bottom?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Friend posted:

Why are you using Mind's Eye oil instead of Destroyer oil, the oil that exists specifically to make breaking parts easier without doing more HP damage?

Oh drat, that's a good point. I was meaning to ask about that oil since the ingame description is kinda weird ("more easily stagger" or something to that effect), but wouldn't I still run into the problem of bouncing every swing? Even at green sharpness I bounce off the wings.

Also, capture seems to be a no-go for wings according to the MHGen DB app.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Your Computer posted:

Oh drat, that's a good point. I was meaning to ask about that oil since the ingame description is kinda weird ("more easily stagger" or something to that effect), but wouldn't I still run into the problem of bouncing every swing? Even at green sharpness I bounce off the wings.

SnS 's A-A attack is a shield bash that shouldn't bounce. And even if you use bouncing attacks they still do full damage, you're just lowering your overall DPS (which isn't a problem in this case.)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just made the HR Lagombi set for evade distance up, like in 3U and 4U. Then I look at it and it actually gives evade+ and vault :suicide: Guess it's time to try ariel HBG.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Is the camera more zoomed in this game compared to 4U? I feel like I'm having a lot harder time getting a clear picture of what a monster is doing when I'm up close.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Ethiser posted:

Is the camera more zoomed in this game compared to 4U? I feel like I'm having a lot harder time getting a clear picture of what a monster is doing when I'm up close.

Yeahhh, it is slightly more zoomed in compared to 4U. It's a pain, I keep getting lost under monsters and getting stomped on.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Remember to pick up shiny drops.

Speaking of which, I've fought that monster a couple of times but I'm still not sure what the 'soap' status does. It's a fun fight though.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Sam Faust posted:

Remember to pick up shiny drops.

Speaking of which, I've fought that monster a couple of times but I'm still not sure what the 'soap' status does. It's a fun fight though.

It's a two-step effect. You're fine if you just get one bubble popped, and you might want to in the case of the red/green bubbles for buffs, but if you double up on the soap status you'll start slipping around.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You can clear it with a cleanser, but why would you want to, you move like you're skiing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Did an online astalos with a good group. That fight is fun as all get out and made me feel like a badass after slicing his tail off with the regular amped strike from the cb

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
So I was a HH guy in 4U, and am transitioning to Gunner for Gen, just getting into the start of 3* Village. What are some good bowguns to look out for? I generally prefer LBG overall, since I like rapid fire a lot more than crouching fire, but I've been using HBGs just because there's not a great selection of elements this early, so I may as well go HBG if I'm shooting nonelemental bullets. Playing Adept style for both. using the Yukumo HBG for now, since it has innate piercing Fire and Water for when I'm against something weak to those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Your Computer posted:

For Nargacuga you don't have to attack the wings themselves, just the arms, should help with the bouncing. Even at blue they're impenetrable.

• Locked thread