Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cythereal posted:

Call to Power also had the best tile improvement system I've ever seen in a Civilization game: it's managed empire-wide. You have cities produce Public Works, which is added to a global Public Works pool which you then spend to construct tile improvements anywhere in your empire. You could settle a new city and keep it producing units or buildings while a city back in the core of the empire builds public works to establish all the infrastructure around the new city.

They really need to bring this back. I've seen enough of the AI completely forgetting to build workers or wandering them constantly into the same barbarian camp, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Gort posted:

They really need to bring this back. I've seen enough of the AI completely forgetting to build workers or wandering them constantly into the same barbarian camp, thanks.

"They", and Call to Power, were not in any way affiliated with the Sid Meier's Civilization franchise at all; CTP only has 'Civlization' in its title because it was also based on the Avalon Hill board game Civilization. Sorry to disappoint.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Aerdan posted:

"They", and Call to Power, were not in any way affiliated with the Sid Meier's Civilization franchise at all; CTP only has 'Civlization' in its title because it was also based on the Avalon Hill board game Civilization. Sorry to disappoint.

Thanks for the information. They need to implement this in a mainstream Civ game.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Even if you want to keep workers-as-units, there's got to be a level of control between 'micromanage from turn to turn' and 'let the computer automatically gently caress up your farms, lol'.

A method I've wanted since Civ4, but never learned enough modding to actually do, is to just add the ability to designate a tile as future farm, future mine, future plantation, etc. Then automated workers would just build toward your designations as fast as possible. This way, you can still micromanage completely if you want, or micromanage a little by marking out short term plans, or just paint your entire vision of the future onto the map and let your little mans get to work.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is Sean Bean doing the tech tree, or was that just a thing for that E3 demo?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

victrix posted:

It's really unclear as to whether on not he's just doing the game intro and the demos. I'd assume yes but you never know.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'll take anyone for the tech tree except the lady narrating the first look trailers.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

victrix posted:

I'm not holding out hope for him after the first Era, if he is in the game at all. :ohdear:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I believe he's gonna voice Victoria

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

I believe he's gonna voice Victoria

Hiring one voice actor and having them do different impressions for each leader would be hilarious.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Human Crouton posted:

Hiring one voice actor and having them do different impressions for each leader would be hilarious.

So get Billy West?

I like how the two abilities per Civ (or Civ/Leader if you want to be one of those types) means that the Civs aren't functionally shoehorned into specific victory paths. Instead of typical early rush Montezuma, you look like you can get some good late game stuff that doesn't necessarily revolve around killing everyone.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Human Crouton posted:

I don't believe in pre ordering- but Every Civ Leader Voiced By Sean Bean would make me pre-order the game and every expansion and DLC in perpetuity.

Aztecs look amazing, as have all the other civs we've seen demonstrated so far. Discovering you have Monty as your neighbour (or Cleo) will seriously affect how you approach the game. And yeah, as many other posters have noted, each civ seems built to play a different way, rather than WIN a different way.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tree Bucket posted:

I don't believe in pre ordering- but Every Civ Leader Voiced By Sean Bean would make me pre-order the game and every expansion and DLC in perpetuity.

Aztecs look amazing, as have all the other civs we've seen demonstrated so far. Discovering you have Monty as your neighbour (or Cleo) will seriously affect how you approach the game. And yeah, as many other posters have noted, each civ seems built to play a different way, rather than WIN a different way.

If it came out that Sean Bean was narrating descriptions, tech research, and tutorials, etc. I'd Preorder RIGHT NOW.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I miss Leonard Nimoy.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ghostlight posted:

I miss Leonard Nimoy.
Beep Beep Beep

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Jastiger posted:

If it came out that Sean Bean was narrating descriptions, tech research, and tutorials, etc. I'd Preorder RIGHT NOW.

If Sean Bean was narrating the tutorial, I'd actually do the tutorial...

(not that anyone will ever improve on "beep")

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I got pig iron. I got pig iron. I got all pig iron.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Negrostrike posted:

I'll take anyone for the tech tree except the lady narrating the first look trailers.

You've discovered iron working in Sid Meier's Civilization Six. How will you work your iron?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cythereal posted:

However, while talking about Call to Power, the game also had some pretty neat ideas that I'd love to see reused. Once you got to settling underwater cities, you could build undersea tunnels to let non-sea units travel underwater without needing a transport unit and at great speed - they'd even link up directly with magrails on land. However, if you pillaged a tunnel it would flood the network destroying all tunnels not part of a city and drowning any land units caught in the tunnels.

cant you invent bulkheads or something?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You've discovered iron working in Sid Meier's Civilization Six. How will you work your iron?

Now I want DOTA style announcer packs for Civ VI.

Stanley parable narrator first, please. :v:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Tarquinn posted:

Stanley parable narrator first, please. :v:

Oh, are we naming people we want to voice the quotes now?

Morgan Freeman. You may close the thread now.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Have they said anything about multiplayer?

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Early access :suicide:

"Pre-order for the Aztec Civilization Pack"

good, that means without this DLC I can actually start a game where I dont spawn near Monty like half of all the games played (and get Hiawatha or Pocatello otherwise) :argh:

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Teron D Amun posted:

good, that means without this DLC I can actually start a game where I dont spawn near Monty like half of all the games played (and get Hiawatha or Pocatello otherwise) :argh:

You can for 3 months, at least.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

thelazyblank posted:

You can for 3 months, at least.

Well, being a DLC, it'll likely still be able to be disabled from loading.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Just be a man and fight the Aztecs.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
True enough. Have they given any insight on how they're adding new civs? Are they going to do packs like they did in the last base game or sticking to expansions? Both? Nobody said anything?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Besides the Aztecs, we know there will be 4 post-launch DLCs that will have some kind of mix of new scenarios, maps, civilizations, and leaders.

My guess is that it'll be a lot like the Civ V DLCs, but other than speculation from the board of Civ leaderheads having 22 pictures (which would fit 18+4), there's no indication as to what will be included.
They also mentioned that they plan at least one more "wave" of DLC worked on after they get through the release.
I'd expect some full-blown expansions down the line for new mechanics, too, but we're probably wholly years away from that (Gods & Kings was 2 years after Civ V).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

thelazyblank posted:

True enough. Have they given any insight on how they're adding new civs? Are they going to do packs like they did in the last base game or sticking to expansions? Both? Nobody said anything?

I read somewhere that doing standalone civ packs was a mistake, but if that means they'll just do a bunch of Spain/Inca packs or stick to expansions or have standalone packs anyways, I dunno.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kurtofan posted:

I looked carefully at the the First Look video this screenshot came from, and I strongly suspect that (at least some of) the footage is older than May of this year:

- Most of the people are wearing long-sleeved shirts or hoodies. I haven't researched historical temperatures, but it looks more like Maryland winter clothes than late spring. (Yes, a few are in short-sleeves, but some people wear short-sleeves all year round.)

Maybe, but my office is cold as crap and one of the girls here keeps a winter parka at her desk to wear.
We live in Arizona

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

I read somewhere that doing standalone civ packs was a mistake, but if that means they'll just do a bunch of Spain/Inca packs or stick to expansions or have standalone packs anyways, I dunno.

I'd be down if they just released a pack of 8 new civs or something

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Hogama posted:

And for another observation, Montezuma I is the first revealed leader to be returning from Civ V (though obviously Gandhi's coming).

Nope!

This is Montezuma I and Civ 5 was Montezuma II, his great-grandson. While fun Civ 5's Monty is also pretty much nothing like what Montezuma II was actually like. From what we've managed to piece together that isn't just the Spanish making GBS threads all over him Montezuma II was an exceedingly posh bastard. He was still a vicious warlord but in a way more sneering, gently caress you got mine way than screaming ximicacan from the blood altar. (Screaming ximicacan from the blood altar was the priests' job)

EDIT: Oh! Also, Firaxis clarified on Twitter that the Eagle Warrior's ability doesn't work on Barbs. You have to actually go to war for it. The Aztec DLC also comes with a new Wonder: Huey Teocalli, the now destroyed great pyramid-temple of Tenochtitlan. Judging by the screenshot of it it has to be built on a water tile. (Which is ironic because it was one of the few things in Tenochtitlan that was built on solid ground :D)

DOUBLE EDIT: Apparently I'm a loving idiot and it IS Montezuma I in Civ 5.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 23, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:ssh: Civ V had Montezuma I as well

E: to your credit every other game in the series has featured Monty II

Jump King fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 23, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Civ 5 explicitly had Montezuma I, as well. It's 1-4 that had Montezuma II. His leader blurb and civpedia profile describe him consolidating the Aztecs and the Triple Alliance and all the stuff he did. I can't speak for the accuracy of his personal portrayal, though.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'd be down if they just released a pack of 8 new civs or something

Yeah, that's my hope. I'll totally pay for single civ DLCs, though, so I'm part of the problem. :(

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
They stopped doing new individual civs after the expansion came out, I assume the problem being you couldn't make use of expansion mechanics without complicating the buying process for people who skipped the expansion. I imagine they're going in with that foresight this time, but the collectors edition says it does give some of the early dlc for "free" a la a season pass.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

"Aw geez Rick! A barbarian is in range of a city!"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I know this is a minor thing but I hope the antiquity sites aren't made-up bullshit this time around. I've been playing Civ 5 again and it bothers me that I'm finding stuff from historical events that never happened (and I know they didn't because I was there!), especially given they sold the feature on the premise that the early game would show up again in the late game in the form of artifacts you can go around collecting.

That being said I really loving like the archaeology mini-game and I can't wait to see what they've done for it in Civ 6. There was the most fleeting of glimpses of the artifact screen in one of the videos but as far as I know, not yet many details of how the tourism / culture victory has been revamped:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I know this is a minor thing but I hope the antiquity sites aren't made-up bullshit this time around. I've been playing Civ 5 again and it bothers me that I'm finding stuff from historical events that never happened (and I know they didn't because I was there!), especially given they sold the feature on the premise that the early game would show up again in the late game in the form of artifacts you can go around collecting.

That being said I really loving like the archaeology mini-game and I can't wait to see what they've done for it in Civ 6. There was the most fleeting of glimpses of the artifact screen in one of the videos but as far as I know, not yet many details of how the tourism / culture victory has been revamped:

can you give an example of made-up bullshit?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I assume what he's saying is antiquity spots would pop up in places where a battle didn't occur but I think that was intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It felt like cheap bullshit. You'd find a Japanese artifact from a battle in 2800 BC when you knew for a fact that Japan hadn't discovered the continent at that point and there was no battle there.