Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel exactly the same. Honestly with how sudden and fast the XYZ section of the show ended I feel like if Synchro had been a cour shorter and XYZ got 10 extra episodes (and pre-Dennis fusion the other 3) we would've gotten better pacing and allowed some non-Yuya duels to happen. But still, Yuya's pretty entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

But still, Yuya's pretty entertaining.

He sure is trying his best! :haw:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

VolticSurge posted:

I've always thought about watching some of those. Any you Goons would recommend? Only one my friends have suggested is Yugi VS Astral.

All of them. Like, seriously, they're all really good.

Yugi vs. Mai is my favorite though. The Kuriboh play is the best thing. :swoon:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I feel exactly the same. Honestly with how sudden and fast the XYZ section of the show ended I feel like if Synchro had been a cour shorter and XYZ got 10 extra episodes (and pre-Dennis fusion the other 3) we would've gotten better pacing and allowed some non-Yuya duels to happen. But still, Yuya's pretty entertaining.

I'm still pretty irked we don't get a second Zexal character like Shark or one of the Arclights.

Anyway, spoilers for the next few episodes have been out for a while.Highlights include:

Kite vs. Dennis
Pirates (:psyduck:)
Rin vs. Yugo.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VolticSurge posted:

I've always thought about watching some of those. Any you Goons would recommend? Only one my friends have suggested is Yugi VS Astral.

Kaiba v Pegasus was rad as hell

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I missed you, Kachidoki.

In all seriousness, that was another pretty good episode. It gave Yuya a chance to fix a past mistake, and did so in a cool way. And next ep we get Neo Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon so that should be good too! Arc-V is good!

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I missed you, Kachidoki.

In all seriousness, that was another pretty good episode. It gave Yuya a chance to fix a past mistake, and did so in a cool way. And next ep we get Neo Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon so that should be good too! Arc-V is good!

The only thing that pisses me off is Kaito saving Ruri from her tower instead of Shun . Arc-V is still fun otherwise.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
And Acrobat Tower was never seen again...

The heelies were pretty cool though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

serefin99 posted:

The more recent Joey vs Pegasus duel is pretty great, and I highly recommend all of the Arc-V era Japanese duels (so far: Jack Atlas vs Yugo, Yuto vs Yugo, Yuto vs Kurosaki). This one, however, you should skip, since they sorta screwed up Yusei.

Japan does live character duels too? I can't find any on YouTube. :(

The dub's writing somehow seems worse in these live duels...

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Episode spoilers:

Goddamn, wasn't expecting Dennis to just loving kill himself like that.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Episode spoilers:

Goddamn, wasn't expecting Dennis to just loving kill himself like that.

He is always such a card.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Boy, these Academia guys sure are switching sides awfully easy. Didn't know Entertainment Duels were that powerful.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Boy, I sure am glad they cut the Xyz arc short so they have time to introduce the important character Pirate Guy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ancient Egyptian card game pirates. :colbert:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
To be fair, who wants to spend time in XYZ?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Senerio posted:

To be fair, who wants to spend time in XYZ?

Me. :colbert:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
we've already kind of done everything there is to do in XYZ though

what else is there, yuya and gang walking around the ruins going "yep this place sure got hosed!" for thirty episodes?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Blockhouse posted:

we've already kind of done everything there is to do in XYZ though

what else is there, yuya and gang walking around the ruins going "yep this place sure got hosed!" for thirty episodes?

why not, that's what they did in the Synchro dimension.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
And it was terrible!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Synchro was good at first and then it just kept going until it reached the end and remembered to be good again.

It couldn't have possibly been a more accurate representation of 5Ds.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think it's the most obvious, simple flaw of Arc-V, which admittedly could be due to hands tied on the production side but still, to fix Synchro's slow-rear end pacing? remove a cour and make the tournament way shorter, bam. How to make XYZ's pacing better and not make the final twelve minutes of it go a zillion miles per hour solving everything? add that cour you took away from Synchro, heck maybe not all of it, give an extra three episodes to Yuzu and Alexis' adventures in Fusion before Dennis walks in.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It could have been better paced but I enjoyed the Synchro episodes. Pacing was the least of latter half 5Ds problems.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Speaking of very clear flaws with an obvious fix, Dennis offing himself was cool but we needed more insight on his motivations because it looks like he simply went "yeah, egao owns boop", how would we have gotten more on his inner turmoil? if his last opponent was Shun instead of Kaito. I've been cool with the guest characters but Kaito is the only one actively bringing the show down now, that match should've been Shun showcasing how far he's gone and how much he believes in Entertainment thanks to Yuya while Dennis keeps denying that they were ever friends, instead it was just Dennis going on a lil bit about entertainment and Kaito giving flat responses (bar that one "who's the heel?!" line) that makes you wonder if he learned anything from Yusho ever.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Speaking of very clear flaws with an obvious fix, Dennis offing himself was cool but we needed more insight on his motivations because it looks like he simply went "yeah, egao owns boop", how would we have gotten more on his inner turmoil? if his last opponent was Shun instead of Kaito. I've been cool with the guest characters but Kaito is the only one actively bringing the show down now, that match should've been Shun showcasing how far he's gone and how much he believes in Entertainment thanks to Yuya while Dennis keeps denying that they were ever friends, instead it was just Dennis going on a lil bit about entertainment and Kaito giving flat responses (bar that one "who's the heel?!" line) that makes you wonder if he learned anything from Yusho ever.

I think the point of Kaito beating him was to show that even the least entertaining person in the world who doesn't care a single shill about entertainment whatsoever is more entertaining than Dennis's gimmicks, and that he hasn't grown as an entertainer at all since being with Academia.

That doesn't make Kaito any more good than he was before, mind you.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Slur posted:

I think the point of Kaito beating him was to show that even the least entertaining person in the world who doesn't care a single shill about entertainment whatsoever is more entertaining than Dennis's gimmicks, and that he hasn't grown as an entertainer at all since being with Academia.

That doesn't make Kaito any more good than he was before, mind you.

I figured they were going for that in the first half of the episode but they didn't really point towards it on the second half, like no one utterly amazed by Kaito except for the very end when everyone's clapping for the duel, then again by the end I was so bored with the duel I might've missed cartoon people having a good time for it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/oratFFFF/status/756757767789031424

:haw:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It's canon

https://www.instagram.com/kazuki_yugioh/

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So can someone help me. I got Legacy of the Duelist and it is getting me back into Yu-Gi-Oh. I have only watched the Duel Monsters dubbed to completion and now want to actually watch the rest of the animes. I know the last seasons of GX and 5Ds I will have to watched subbed but for the rest, is there enough of a difference that I should watched the subbed versions or would I be ok with the dub and still understand what's going on by the time I get to those final seasons? and which would be better for Zexel and Arc-V?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The sub is always better, bar GX season 2.

Also, Zexal isn't very good...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MiddleOne posted:

The sub is always better, bar GX season 2.

Also, Zexal isn't very good...

I prefer Society of Light subbed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Watch subbed whenever possible. Don't watch Zexal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
GX isn't nearly as fun subbed.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zexal is a good show, especially when it gets to the second half.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I liked ZeXal a lot but it takes a long while to get going and it's the most clear on Yugioh Spinoffs not actually being an ensemble show.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dexie posted:

Zexal is a good show, especially when it gets to the second half.

I...strongly disagree. Like, there's absurd things to laugh about, like the super saiyan transformation and him cheating so hard he literally defies the laws of physics, but none of it Is fun, the main character is the worst main character in the series, and I find ALL of his duels boring. Utopia is such a bad boss monster imo. Not.to mention all of his friends suck.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Tumblr, of course, adores it for obvious reasons.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
The best thing about ZeXal was Kaito. Everything Yuma touched ended up being awful, but Kaito was sweet, I thought Shark's arc was a neat twist, I loved the Tron Bros, and Vector was a loving blast. There was a lot of chaff with it though, and I'd hesitate to call it good overall, but it definitely had good moments. Like Shark vs. IV in the last arc might legit be my favourite duel of the series.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

At the very least, it seems the animators and artists had a lot of fun with Yuma. They were always having him dress in silly outfits and make ridiculous expressions.

And as eye-rolling as it was, I've definitely got to give props to the manga writers having Astral outright confess to being in love with Yuma at the end of the manga. That's a pretty big deal for a shounen series.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You are nuts. Kaito is the absolute worst. A character who seems like a cool rival but ends up being entirely subsumed by his brother complex and stops having any kind of character arc midway through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
GX dub is perfect, just watch the first two seasons though.