Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Personally I find that aggravating because you have to stop your ship from crashing into a star once per minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

BMan posted:

Personally I find that aggravating because you have to stop your ship from crashing into a star once per minute.

Does the tab out to set acceleration to zero thing still work? I don't really use it much.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Wolfechu posted:

Does the tab out to set acceleration to zero thing still work? I don't really use it much.

Not as well as it used to, in my experience :(

Don't think I've changed anything else (drivers or whatever) so I'm inclined to blame a patch since I went to Sag A*.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Wolfechu posted:

They actually "fixed" that in one of the patches, the bastards :argh:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Have they managed to make the Galaxy Map usable in VR yet? I'm wanting to get back into the game, but the unusable interface was just ruining it for me.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm waiting for the patch before doing any engineer upgrades because I'm sitting at zero too.

What's the Jacques station about and what is out there to get from making the trek?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Blind Rasputin posted:

What's the Jacques station about and what is out there to get from making the trek?

Guess what? It's loving nothing!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
If you like mining or exploring and the rp idea behind it, go hog wild. Otherwise best steer clear.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Have they managed to make the Galaxy Map usable in VR yet? I'm wanting to get back into the game, but the unusable interface was just ruining it for me.

Nope, they haven't change anything. It's still possible to use with a stick/controller if you set the key bindings for it, but forget mouse controls.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rectus posted:

Nope, they haven't change anything. It's still possible to use with a stick/controller if you set the key bindings for it, but forget mouse controls.

On the bright side, this pretty much holds true in non-VR as well, since the mouse controls have a hilarious and not-at-all annoying tendency to suddenly focus the wrong system and start zooming your view 3k LY away from where you want to look.

…not sure if “bright side” is the right description, but you know.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

It's still pretty garbage but at least being able to bookmark systems helps a lot.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Wolfechu posted:

Been there, done it, got the tshirt at Sag A ;) It's actually fairly soothing if youre catching up on TV shows in the background. At least I think so. But then, I'm the guy who liked fishing jn Wow.

Try mining, if you haven't. It's hella space chill mode. Basically Elite's fishing.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Rectus posted:

How do people have problems with this? Are you not setting the cursor to render as an object within the 3d space? If you're having trouble selecting the right system, you can either use the mouse and keyboard to zoom in closer, or just use the keyboard to move the center point of the map to align with the system you want and hit space by default, then select your option as normal. Or you use system search and type in the system directly like pretty much everybody does in the first place.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
Stupid newbie question, but how do I set a bookmark in the galaxy view? I did one by accident but don't know what I did.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Exploring is really good if you like podcasts. Just engaging enough to feel like you're doing something, but mindless enough that you can listen to the podcast or music or watch a video or whatever and pay attention to both.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Olesh posted:

How do people have problems with this? Are you not setting the cursor to render as an object within the 3d space? If you're having trouble selecting the right system, you can either use the mouse and keyboard to zoom in closer, or just use the keyboard to move the center point of the map to align with the system you want and hit space by default, then select your option as normal. Or you use system search and type in the system directly like pretty much everybody does in the first place.

Because sometimes the game decides that, no, nothing of the stuff that's on-screen is actually selected or in focus and instead, let's interpret this mouse click as “oh, let's zoom to this system waaaaaaay over there.”

Joystick/gamepad controls are a bit more reliable, but still suffers from sticky-system syndrome, where the map refuses to unfocus a previously selected system. Either way, bad timing (because there's no way of determining beforehand when the map will randomly refocus on something else) can easily completely screw up your simple attempt at just looking at the map.

The map is a mess. There's no two ways about it, and mouse control is second only to VR in being unreliable and unusable (but more due to UI bugs than to UX design failure).

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

rev.justin posted:

Stupid newbie question, but how do I set a bookmark in the galaxy view? I did one by accident but don't know what I did.

Button between plot route and system view. Looks like a bookmark (or a banner) with a cross in the center.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Oh sweet, the Engineers stuff might hit a point I'd want to actually do. Maybe I'll finally also-"

Promptly gets hand issue that joysticks in particular do no favors to. Hmm, Dejavu.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Going space mad. Dropped 250M Cr for the 8A scoop for the cutter :homebrew:

Let's do this CG!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

Let's do this CG!

Holy hell, 7A scoop already devours stars whole in a conda, I can't imagine what an 8A would do.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Olesh posted:

Be happy that this doesn't happen to you non-stop like it does me. https://gfycat.com/NeighboringLiquidChickadee

Elite really wants you to see that other system, over there, that you don't want to go to! Hey! Hey! Look at me! I'm a system 10 LY from where you want to go! Look here! HERE! NOT THERE, HERE

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Mike the TV posted:

Be happy that this doesn't happen to you non-stop like it does me. https://gfycat.com/NeighboringLiquidChickadee

Elite really wants you to see that other system, over there, that you don't want to go to! Hey! Hey! Look at me! I'm a system 10 LY from where you want to go! Look here! HERE! NOT THERE, HERE

I have a weirder issue. If I go to locate a system, then press space to 'activate' it, it just goes to my current system. No I don't want to route to where I currently am, I know how to get there.
Any good places to head to as my first real exploration exodus? I am feeling a bit space mad.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

IAmTheRad posted:

I have a weirder issue. If I go to locate a system, then press space to 'activate' it, it just goes to my current system. No I don't want to route to where I currently am, I know how to get there.
Any good places to head to as my first real exploration exodus? I am feeling a bit space mad.

Skull and crossbones nebula.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

3 posted:

Holy hell, 7A scoop already devours stars whole in a conda, I can't imagine what an 8A would do.

Tops off in 38 seconds -- the Cutter is a 64T tank.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Shine posted:

Try mining, if you haven't. It's hella space chill mode. Basically Elite's fishing.

Yep, mining's super chill, and feels like money for almost nothing. If it weren't for the occasional random space rear end in a top hat (NPC or PC), I wouldn't even arm my ships, I'd just be mining, exploring, and trucking.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

... Jaques has a large landing pad, right? I can't even describe how mad I'd be if I got there and it's an outpost like sothis.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Finally made it back from Sag A*! After ~10 months in the black, I returned to the bubble and rank 5'd Martuuk with 15M in data! Saving the rest for faction and Palin. :woop:

After selling ~750/2200 systems, I've made ~22M, gotten ~2000 first discoveries, and >82k level 3 scans, and gone from 0 to Ranger! I was gone so long my paintjob changed. :toot:

Round trip was ~62kly, water worlds seemed suprisingly common (even around neutron stars), and plotting a route to the core isn't nearly as challenging or fraught with perils as the Brown Sea would have you believe. Honestly, if you stay in the plane of the galactic ecliptic, you could easily make it if you can jump >20ly. A scoopable star should never be further than 10ly away.

Some trip highlights:

What's the easiest way to find the materials for the rank 5 fsd? I kind of want to go to Jacques...

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

Let's do this CG!

Goonspeed. :911:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

#MakeJaquesDrunkAgain

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How the hell does obsidianant get graphics like this. Just look at those planets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7hVsXycE68

Those pictures above are incredible man. Did it take ten months of like an hour a day? If a person shot out there an hour or two a day of scanning only close planets in a system how long would it take to get to sag A and back you think? (Assuming asp w/ 25ly jump range).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Blind Rasputin posted:

How the hell does obsidianant get graphics like this. Just look at those planets?

Those pictures above are incredible man. Did it take ten months of like an hour a day? If a person shot out there an hour or two a day of scanning only close planets in a system how long would it take to get to sag A and back you think? (Assuming asp w/ 25ly jump range).

Yeah, I'm just slow. Some buckyball guy got to sag a in 8 hours or something. Witcher expansions and Stellaris didn't help. I could reasonably do 1000ly/hour or so, so I'm guessing 60-70 hours of gametime if you take your time and scan things.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Blind Rasputin posted:

I believe ObsidianAnt uses SweetFX, ReShade, and GemFX.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

All at once? Wouldn't they mostly overwrite each other?

I use EDFX which doesn't seem nearly as good, and IMO the real problem is that there are almost no custom profiles being released by anyone.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So here's another probably dumb question:

If I visit the engineer and have a shitload of materials on me, can I just keep doing upgrades onto the same module to rank it up, or do I have to bring a new one every time?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Truga posted:

So here's another probably dumb question:

If I visit the engineer and have a shitload of materials on me, can I just keep doing upgrades onto the same module to rank it up, or do I have to bring a new one every time?

You don't have to apply any upgrades you make. You can dump your materials into crafting junk upgrades freely without overwriting any of your existing upgrades, and they still count for progression.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

I believe ObsidianAnt uses SweetFX, ReShade, and GemFX.

Does anyone know a concise, updated/current guide for these?

I've installed both SweetFX and reshade on other games before but of course it seems like reshade immediately crashes when I launch the game and the guide I was reading was like two years old, so probably had bad versions of everything.

I also would like to know, don't these overwrite each other?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Wolfechu posted:

Yep, mining's super chill, and feels like money for almost nothing. If it weren't for the occasional random space rear end in a top hat (NPC or PC), I wouldn't even arm my ships, I'd just be mining, exploring, and trucking.

Unless I'm specifically loaded out for combat, I never arm any of the ships I use for mining, exploring, or trucking. Easier and less time consuming to just jump away, and less risk to my cargo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Finally made it back from Sag A*! After ~10 months in the black, I returned to the bubble and rank 5'd Martuuk with 15M in data! Saving the rest for faction and Palin. :woop:

After selling ~750/2200 systems, I've made ~22M, gotten ~2000 first discoveries, and >82k level 3 scans, and gone from 0 to Ranger! I was gone so long my paintjob changed. :toot:

Round trip was ~62kly, water worlds seemed suprisingly common (even around neutron stars), and plotting a route to the core isn't nearly as challenging or fraught with perils as the Brown Sea would have you believe. Honestly, if you stay in the plane of the galactic ecliptic, you could easily make it if you can jump >20ly. A scoopable star should never be further than 10ly away.

Congrats on making it back! That's a lot of first discoveries, very cool.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm guessing this is more of a personal "workflow" question than an absolute better or worse, but is there any real advantage to scooping every several stars than every single one?

I usually honk, set up a flyby of the star that will top me off, and then quickly check the system map to see if there's anything I want to check out. Coming out of that I'm usually out of the scooping corona and can hit witch space or run off to scan stuff. Seems to be the quickest way to check out a system for stuff while still traveling with some kind of destination in mind.

Even if I'm not honking and inspecting it still seems like a quick flyby of the star to top off the tanks is quicker than a big refueling once every 3 stars, but maybe that's just mental and not really true.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

quote:

Engineers Blueprints Materials Update

Greetings Commanders.

You may remember recently that we shared some plans and changes that will be making their way to our next point release (2.1.05) as a direct response to your feedback, thank you again.

You can read the full post here. But as a reminder, the changes included are...
  • Adjusting the way the surface scanner works to allow you to see what materials are available from any given planet. This should make locating materials far easier.
  • Making a number of changes to the lowest level blueprints. This includes improving the positive effects of low level upgrade results as well as reducing the cost and simplifying the materials needed.
  • Increasing the number of units you get for each instance of a material you find. This means instead of getting one unit of a material, you will get multiple units of that material. This will allow you to increase the number of attempts at each Engineer.
  • Increasing the number of materials spawned when surface mining. Again, to make the process easier and the materials easier to gather.
  • The likelihood of finding rare materials in these instances will also be increased, meaning it will be easier to use higher level blueprints.
  • And we will be reviewing the balance and locations of non-planet salvage and reviewing the possible USS locations for each material
Ahead of this update we wanted to share the rebalancing that has been done to the materials required for blueprints to give you information ahead of time so that those of you searching for materials can factor this into your collecting and gameplay.

You can see a full list of the new blueprints requirements that will be added in the next point update (2.1.05) by downloading it from the link below.
http://hosting.zaonce.net/community/newsletter/blueprints_requirements.xls

This point release is still being finalized and we’re hoping to give more details on the exact date in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again for your continued support and patience.

Fly safe Commanders.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/275605-Engineers-Blueprints-Materials-Update

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Panch posted:

I'm guessing this is more of a personal "workflow" question than an absolute better or worse, but is there any real advantage to scooping every several stars than every single one?
If your scoop is big enough, you can just wander close enough to the star while honking that it won't matter. There's no big time difference either way.

You're a braver man than I if you go into the system map while flying toward a star, though. I've burned up in deep space scooping from a star and trying to plot a course near the center of the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
There's a sweet spot you can find around most stars where you heat up to about 60-70% heat and then just stay there. I usually park myself there with my slow-rear end scoop on the Courier and look at my map/browse the web.

• Locked thread