Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Bonzo posted:

About a week ago, my wife and I were laying in bed snuggling and she was running her fingers through my hair and sort of jokingly/absentmindedly said she would leave me if I ever went bald.
I laughed and said I'd leave her if she ever got fat. She went silent for a second and I nudged her and said I was just kidding and I love her and I would never leave her because of that. She then started crying and said she couldn't believe I would say something like that to her.
I've been sleeping on the couch ever since and she hasn't said more than two words to me. I keep telling her I'm sorry and I didn't mean it but she doesn't want to hear it. How do I fix this?
tl;dr: My wife said she'd leave if I went bald, I said I'd leave her if she got fat. She's very upset. What do I do?

I'm not sure who is stupider here, the wife who doesn't understand the concept of reciprocity, or the husband who thought his wife would take a joke about her getting fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Blacktoll posted:

I feel like a lot of guys are unprepared for this, for some reason.

So when your man don't treat you like he used to

I kick in like a turbo booster

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Un chien andalou posted:

I'm not sure who is stupider here, the wife who doesn't understand the concept of reciprocity, or the husband who thought his wife would take a joke about her getting fat.

P-Mack posted:

No joke reading this thread really makes me appreciate my wife.

SAME

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Reading this thread has made me appreciate my wife, my fully functional genitalia, and my self-awareness.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Roylicious posted:

Attractive guys have girls waiting in the wings, too.

:ssh:

Yeah but the guy usually has to act quickly or the luster of being a pre-approved catch fades. Attractive women can literally take a dump in public every day for a year and there will still be some sadbrains on the periphery of her social circle hoping to get in good.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

No one's impressed that you dated an Indian girl

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think ROTC girl's move would be to "ask for a break" if this guy forces her hand and she can't cheat on the DL.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Ugg there's a thread about a girl in a happy 3-year relationship, breaking up because of her low self-esteem. She's decided to unilaterally leave because she doesn't want her boyfriend to compromise choosing a job to be with her. She clearly is full of self-loathing and describes herself very negatively. All her friends and the whole thread have told her not to do it and she's still gonna do it and ahhhh. They're both going to end up heartbroken for no reason and I'm upset and wtf I read this poo poo for laughs, why you gotta make me feel empathetic heartbreak reddit?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bonzo posted:

bald fat
That's real messed up. He can't control if he goes bald but she can control her weight.

They are both poor jokes but the bald one is way more messed up and the wife is still mad as hell despite starting it. I don't know how anyone puts up with someone who'd get upset for more than a night before laughing it off.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 21, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Ugg there's a thread about a girl in a happy 3-year relationship, breaking up because of her low self-esteem. She's decided to unilaterally leave because she doesn't want her boyfriend to compromise choosing a job to be with her. She clearly is full of self-loathing and describes herself very negatively. All her friends and the whole thread have told her not to do it and she's still gonna do it and ahhhh. They're both going to end up heartbroken for no reason and I'm upset and wtf I read this poo poo for laughs, why you gotta make me feel empathetic heartbreak reddit?

I dated someone like this. If it isn't one thing, it's another. They just actively hate themselves and think they deserve nothing and that if someone spends time with them then that person is wasting time said person could have spent on 'better things.'

At one point my SO told me every single day 'idk why you don't just break up with me, I'm so awful/bad/etc.' Well one day I did lol, that poo poo gets old. Nothing wrong with them either, except for that low self esteem turned into self loathing. Only so much you can do to help someone before they start dragging you down into the muck as well.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah but the guy usually has to act quickly or the luster of being a pre-approved catch fades. Attractive women can literally take a dump in public every day for a year and there will still be some sadbrains on the periphery of her social circle hoping to get in good.

Hmmm,

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Khorne posted:

That's real messed up, because he can't control if he goes bald but she can control her weight.

What do you think that means for them? Does it make you feel more sympathetic towards the guy or the girl?

Not trying to pull a gotcha or anything, I honestly can't decide myself what the implication of that is.

Something similar happened with me and an ex when I was in my early 20's. After we accidentally broke her bed frame, we went to Home Depot to buy stuff to jury rig a fix that her dad recommended. When we were in the parking lot she said "Sometimes I wish you were more or a handyman like a normal guy" and that pissed me off, so I came back with "Yeah, well, sometimes I wish you were a better cook" and p. much the same thing happened; she started crying and got really offended.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Un chien andalou posted:

The husband.

The proper joke to make is "Yeah, I'd leave you if you went bald too."

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

The husband.

The proper joke to make is "Yeah, I'd leave you if you went bald too."

ACtually the proper joke to make is to start crying really hard and give her the silent treatment for 3 weeks and, ultimately, leave her.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Like 90% of the world's best jokes involve crying really hard.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
The problem with a response like that is it indicates weakness and insecurity in the part of the guy. That's the part that really hurts the girl. You are both insulting her AND you are demonstrating that you're not as good of a mate as she was hoping for.

A better response would be "sure, just watch me become the next Bob Villa, I'll get my own show on PBS." Agree with her but make it ridiculous, so it's sarcastic-funny.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Personally I'd hope that if I was marrying someone we'd be well past that petty jealousy/insecurity bullshit :shrug:

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
You'd leave me if I got bald? Really? Well guess what bitch I would leave you if, uh, your car became slow or your hair became wet

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Once a woman starts playfully suggesting that you might go bald you have to brutally and swiftly destroy her to stay in power. The man from reddit did the right thing.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Roylicious posted:

Personally I'd hope that if I was marrying someone we'd be well past that petty jealousy/insecurity bullshit :shrug:

It's the guy making it into a jealousy/insecurity issue. The girl isn't being serious when she brings up something like that. Don't respond seriously.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

sincx posted:

It's the guy making it into a jealousy/insecurity issue. The girl isn't being serious when she brings up something like that. Don't respond seriously.

Thanks for the relationship advice, something awful poster Sincx!

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

sincx posted:

Actually the girl is being serious and she is probably also being fat, which prompted the response from the man, who is being balding.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

sincx posted:

I mean he made a joke that could maybe be called tasteless, her reaction of making him sleep on the couch and barely speaking to him is pretty over the top. Especially since she fired first shots - what you think men feel no insecurity about the state of their hair?

Even if the spouse didn't find it funny it was obv a joke and it should have been taken as such. Give your husband the benefit of the doubt or whatever.

quote:

About a week ago, my wife and I were laying in bed snuggling and she was running her fingers through my hair and sort of jokingly/absentmindedly said she would leave me if I ever went bald.

I laughed and said I'd leave her if she ever got fat. She went silent for a second and I nudged her and said I was just kidding and I love her and I would never leave her because of that. She then started crying and said she couldn't believe I would say something like that to her.

imo, taking this at face value, it's sexist to suggest the woman can say that to the man but the man better watch what he says in response lest the delicate lady get her sensibilities offended. Turn about is fair play :shrug:

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 22, 2016

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
The key to a happy relationship is never ever ever talk or think about what your wife looks like or even mention it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Minimalist Program posted:

The key to a happy relationship is never ever ever talk or think about what your wife looks like or even mention it.

The key to a happy relationship is to be with someone cool and chill but then also gently caress hot people on the DL, IMO

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

sincx posted:

Is this womansplaining?

You're definitely not a man because every dude has a deep seated fear of going bald

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Minimalist Program posted:

You look beautiful today!

What, you don't think I look beautiful every day?!

*Sleeps on couch for three days*

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

My wife asked that a while back and I said only every couple nights, implying I would be unfaithful. We both laughed. They both sound pretty sensitive to me. :shrug:

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

sincx posted:

I didn't read that he was being serious like that either but maybe you've been through this before?

tl;dr insecure married couple take weak shots at each other; everyone leaves butthurt

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I love all these poly relationships where old school cheating on the DL would be the more decent thing to do.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

sincx posted:

The problem with a response like that is it indicates weakness and insecurity in the part of the guy. That's the part that really hurts the girl. You are both insulting her AND you are demonstrating that you're not as good of a mate as she was hoping for.

A better response would be "sure, just watch me become the next Bob Villa, I'll get my own show on PBS." Agree with her but make it ridiculous, so it's sarcastic-funny.

way to be a sexist you pig

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tricky D posted:

I love all these poly relationships where old school cheating on the DL would be the more decent thing to do.

I feel like in some of these cases this would actually be more respectful

because hiding it implies that you have some measure of shame or expectation of judgment if your spouse found out about your infidelity, whereas if you tell them to maybe try compersion you're basically saying "I don't care what your feelings are, and I don't give a poo poo whether you know because you will never leave or even object"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Blacktoll posted:

I feel like a lot of guys are unprepared for this, for some reason.

I think most people have ex's and such they can fall back on for booty calls should they end up single but it's a bit different when someone is pretty openly jonesin for your partner to the point where it's disrespectful to you and your partner doesn't seem to care. We used to get a lot of e/n threads like that but they fell off as our forum got older I imagine.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Roylicious posted:

I mean he made a joke that could maybe be called tasteless, her reaction of making him sleep on the couch and barely speaking to him is pretty over the top. Especially since she fired first shots - what you think men feel no insecurity about the state of their hair?

Even if the spouse didn't find it funny it was obv a joke and it should have been taken as such. Give your husband the benefit of the doubt or whatever.

imo, taking this at face value, it's sexist to suggest the woman can say that to the man but the man better watch what he says in response lest the delicate lady get her sensibilities offended. Turn about is fair play :shrug:

quote:

Men would rather be impotent than bald, according to a new poll.

Overall, 94% said hair loss was their biggest worry about what could happen to their body, while 89% said it was not being able to get an erection.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the good old "something something by your brother"

quote:

I [32 M] think my wife [31 F] of 7 years, is cheating on me with my brother [28 M]

I was with my wife 6 years before we got married in 2009. It was pretty cut and paste, we both had jobs, had our house, no kids, a couple of dogs, etc…nothing extraordinary, but we were happy regardless.

In 2011, my younger brother was going through a divorce and was falling on financial hard times, so I offered to let him stay in our guest room which was over the garage. It’s basically a mini apartment, or essentially equivalent to a hotel room. Bed, bathroom, TV, kitchenette, etc…

This gave him his own privacy, and a made it less like we had a guest 24/7 (which can be tiring). Everything worked out perfectly, we all got along, we all chimed in when it came to housework, and I was pretty pleased by how well the circumstance turned out.

I am a pilot, and he is a contractor. He’s a do-everything type of handy man for a living, and I’m not very…handy at all. This is relevant because my wife always drools over “real men”, the ones who get all dirty and can “do everything”. I have no other way to explain that, except for the fact that she is attracted to a “manly man”. What she ever saw in me is beyond me, but I am thankful that she did fall in love with me.

I am gone for periods of time, along with being home for periods of time off. I didn’t start noticing anything strange until I came home 2 days early because of a cancelled flight, and I was expecting her to be happy about my early home surprise. She wasn’t, in fact, she was downright angry. Hearing all the commotion, my brother came to investigate and she ran to him for sympathy. I went to bed alone, and very confused but not really suspecting anything between the two of them.

Everything started to become different from around this time, as she was very irritable with me, I could do no right. She laughed and joked around with him, and she practically worshiped him. If there was something to be fixed around the house, she no longer asked me, she would go straight to him. It was quite emasculating among other things…not to mention we went from sex at least twice a week to 0 in months.

He moved out after 18 months of living with us, and I was hopeful that maybe things would start to go back to normal. I was wrong, things got even worse. She became an emotional wreck, constantly flipping out on me over the smallest of things, and constantly talking about him and asking if I thought he was okay. If he didn’t do his daily check-in, she was a complete basket case. When he’d come around to visit, she was extremely happy and well…acting more than fine.

2 weeks ago, she was supposed to go on a trip with her friend A* and her friends husband B*. I was happy to get some alone time, I was contemplating divorce, and this had given me a window of opportunity to think about what I really wanted to do.

I knew that where she was going, there would be no cell phone service, so I didn’t expect a call or to be able to reach her. Now, this is when it becomes interesting…I thought I’d call my brother the first night she was gone, I wanted to go grab a beer and maybe toss some ideas his way. His phone went right to VM, so I tried again with the same result. Instantly my mind got the best of me, I started speculating that he was with my wife.

So, being irrational I got in my car and drove the 3 hour drive up to the canyon and see for myself. I spotted their location and parked down the road, I watched for a while, but I started feeling guilty, nervous and creepy. I saw my wife climb into her tent and back out several times, no sign of my brother.

Just as I was about to turn my truck on, I saw her talking to someone in the camper (not her tent) which confused me because both A* and B* were sitting at the picnic table. I waited long enough to see my brother walk out of the camper laughing at her and they went and sat down to join A* and B*.

I immediately drove home, I am a mixture of anger, confusion, hurt, betrayed…I’m hoping for the best, maybe this is all just a misunderstanding.

I don't know what to do, I don't even know what to think.

tl;dr: TL;DR: Marriage was fine until my brother moved in, suspected my wife was having an affair with him, caught them secretly camping together with some friends. What actions should I take to resolve this?!

Edit: I will be home 7 hours earlier than expected thanks to a fellow friend offering to take my last 2 flights. I'm as anxious as I am nervous as to what I am going to find when I arrive.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
How hard is it to say "I love your hair"? It's an ego boost, whereas if somebody teases you, you tease them back. The girl said "I would leave you if" and that's not something you just say. She's being a shallow dope and the guy is letting her sob about it because he secretly fears he'll go bald and then her fat rear end will dump him.

Oh, I imagine if you cross examined her she'd dance back behind "I was just complimenting your hair!" but then he could just go "Yeah and I said it's a good thing you're not fat." Smdh the things people do for steady sex.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

kaschei posted:

No one's impressed that you dated an Indian girl

Nobody said anything, but I want you to know I liked your joke.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
here's another one:

quote:

My girlfriend [30F] constantly mocks my [24M] accent and corrects my English in front of people

My girlfriend and I have been dating almost ten months. We both live in New York City. I have two part-time jobs: yoga teacher in the mornings, and then I am a language tutor in the afternoons and evenings. I live in Midtown and have one roommate (male).

My girlfriend is a department manager at a high-end fashion store in Manhattan. Her department is "young and modern" and she often wears the clothes she sells in her own department to show off the brand. She lives alone in Bronx. We met because she was a student in one of my yoga classes.

Here is my problem. Ever since I met her, she is always teasing me about my accent. I am very clearly foreign and I cannot help the way I pronounce certain words in English. What she will do, is usually she asks, "What was that? Did I hear you correctly? That you baaouwt (bought) saaoumtheeng (something)?"

And then I will feel really dumb. She often does this when we are out with other couples or otherwise in public and in front of people. She will also constantly correct my English in front of people.

I know most written English grammar rules and when I'm writing I do pretty well, but when I am in normal conversation I will make all sorts of mistakes. For example, I will slip and sometimes say, "I already seed (saw) that movie, and it I thinked (thought) was not the best film for to spend such money."

The people I'm speaking to will know precisely what I'm getting at, but my girlfriend will practically call time out to fix my sentence.

I feel very condescended to. I also feel condescended to when she makes it a point to remind me that she makes more money than I do. Such as when I suggest a place to eat I of course plan to pay for us both, but she will make me feel as if I am being not-classy by suggesting such a restaurant, and then suggest a "better" one where I cannot pay for two people. I will of course pay for myself, but then she insists on paying for me also.

I do not mind this so much but if we are with another couple sometimes she will say something like, "He has two jobs, he's more of a burger and fries kind of person," when the bill comes, and will make a grand show of the fact that she is picking up my tab also. It is not as if I even chose that restaurant, I will have suggesting something I can afford and offer to pay for her, too.

When I speak to my girlfriend about these things she says that I am too sensitive and that I am taking myself too seriously.

I do not think I am taking myself too seriously. I asked her to maybe tell me later if I made some mistakes speaking, and then I will practice to try to get better. I do not think embarrassing me in front of other young adults will solve anything except make me feel bad about myself. I did not learn English in public school because I'm from a small town, and only started to learn the language when I came to New York four years ago.

I also find it kind of strange that she will tease me about my yoga clothes (she calls them "nuthugger pants") and then call me from my work when I am finishing a class and tell me to visit at her at her department store even when I tell her I have not changed my clothes yet. Then when I actually see her at her job, we'll go out to lunch or eat at the cafe inside of the store, and she'll tease me about the pants some more. I do not get why she does this.

I know she is sensitive when people talk to her about college because she never finished getting her degree and I think she needs one to be the manager of the entire store. Right now she manages one department but she has aspirations. It will never occur to me to tease her about this, the way she teases me about my accent or my income. I know that she will feel really hurt.

I never went to college either, just low-level certifications courses for language in another country, and in the USA, an informal certification course to teach yoga and pilates.

I love my girlfriend a lot and in most other ways we have a good relationship, but I just cannot seem to get it through to her how much it makes me feel bad when she teases my accent, or corrects my English in front of other people.

How do I get her to stop?

What can I say to her that will maintain politeness but make her see how bad her teasing makes me feel?

And is it true that I am being too sensitive?

Thank you in advance.

my girlfriend has no respect for me and publicly humiliates me. what should i do?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Yossarian posted:

The key to a happy relationship is to be with someone cool and chill but then also gently caress hot people on the DL, IMO

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I[23F] feel like my BF[26M] is being rude when he makes comments about my body/apartment.

quote:

I've been dating this guy for six months now. We like the same nerdy things and can talk for hours. When I first moved into my new place four months ago, he said that is wasn't well built and that it reminded him of his dorm from high school/college. (It's in the middle of a city and expensive too.) When he has been over, he makes fun of it and keeps making those comments. I've called him out a few times on it and he still calls it a "lovely apartment."

When we went to the lake last weekend (I wore a cute bikini), he said that my arms were almost as hairy as his, I had a "nice happy trail" on my stomach, and made fun of my razor bumps on my legs from shaving and said that my skin "looked like a chicken." It really hurt my feelings and I didn't know how to respond, so I didn't say anything at the time.

How do I confront his comments and tell him how they make me feel?

TL;DR BF says rude comments about my body hair/apartment and not sure how to tell him how they make me feel.

My [29 F] wife thinks I [31 M] might be gay (I'm not)

quote:

I have been with my wife for 8 years and married for 3. I think we have a pretty normal relationship and we are both very open with each other.

So, late last night my wife and I are hanging out watching tv before bed and I'm on my phone browsing Reddit when I come across a front page AskReddit thread about the most gay thing straight guys have done. I read through a few posts pretty unimpressed when I get to a post about Mario Kart. Being bored and tired of Reddit I stop reading the post thinking playing some Mario Kart would be fun with my wife. I ask if she wants to play and she does. She asks me to set up the N64 but first I need to pee. I go to the bathroom and come back out to find my wife looking on my phone. No big deal right?

Well....the one problem is I left that particular Reddit thread open and my wife started reading it. I hadn't even read the whole post, but apparently it got pretty graphic and my wife starts to question me about what I was reading. I explained it was a front page Reddit thread I started reading and I saw the Mario Kart reference and stopped reading to see if she wanted to play.

She wasn't convinced, and gave me an incredulous look and started pushing me saying things like "if you're feeling urges or need an open ear I'm hear for you", "if you want to experiment just let me know, I don't want this to be an issue 15 years from now", etc. I was kind of thinking WTF? She wouldn't drop it and I started to get annoyed and getting defensive because she was essentially accusing me of being gay or having homosexual urges. I felt she was interpreting my defensiveness as me being ashamed and over compensating. We had a small fight and we each took a few minutes to calm down.

Once we were calmed down, I again justified why I was reading that thread and the reason I was being defensive was I didn't feel like she was taking me at my word and was pushing me to give her the response she wanted. This started another little fight and she went to sleep in the guest room.

I woke up this morning and she was in bed with me, and I tried to apologize for being defensive and angry the previous night and to reiterate that she has nothing to worry about because I'm not gay. This time she agreed but gave the same incredulous look and now it's sort of awkward as I don't think she believes me and she suspects I'm gay.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? The more I deny it, the more she is convinced I'm compensating.

tl;dr: Wife found me reading a front page AskReddit thread and now suspects I'm gay.

• Locked thread