Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

My least favorite thing about the game was having Preston Garvey approach me with some nonsense every time I just wanted to stick some poo poo in a box and then head back out to where I was actually doing something fun.

I get mega pissed when those "Finch Farm is under attack!" quests

Well, that's why I gave them turrets and combat armor. Take your balls our of your purse and man the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
So I finally decided to give Fallout 4 a go and as usual (I mostly play roguelikes / games with hardcore mode), I decided to try survival.

So far so good (did random scavenging, managed to get a hang of fights), I'm slowly progressing and clearing neighbouring areas. Today I'm planning to go to Corvega Assembly plant or whatever it's called.

The only thing which is limiting me though is loving antibiotics. Is there any guaranteed location where I can find one? I think that I checked all places close to Sanctuary with first aid kids, all the merchants (well, I kind of killed Wolfgang) and nobody was selling any. I've been ignoring the disease which I had, but right now every so often I'm getting "the infection spreads" message and slowly using my supplies of stim-packs & healing stuff.

I'm 2 levels away from getting Chemist perk. Is there any easy way of getting rid of that disease before that?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

It was bad mainly b/c it punted anything that didn't have to do with combat or the crafting of weapons far to the backburner. You shoot things or you roll dice to see if you can talk your way out of a fight. A hard CHA threshold is fundamentally superior to a random roll for success because the former is something you can build your character toward, as it is now the talky route is available for any meathead with a quick save function.

Without skill checks you significantly reduce the potential outcomes of quests, and through that you significantly restrict the available character types that exist to be played. FO4 is a sterling example of that in practice. It's a purer dungeon crawler than Skyrim or even Oblivion. And that's a huge loss for a series that let you cure Nightkin schizophrenia and synthesize a miracle cure for the drug addiction ravaging California. Those kinds of plots don't really lend themselves to shootouts.

I think the biggest problem is how they implemented the dialogue system, since its limitations basically effected everything else related to it, even Todd howard said it was not a success. As it is they could have added skill checks using the perks or Special stats, but they didn't except for CHA.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

kaaj posted:

So I finally decided to give Fallout 4 a go and as usual (I mostly play roguelikes / games with hardcore mode), I decided to try survival.

So far so good (did random scavenging, managed to get a hang of fights), I'm slowly progressing and clearing neighbouring areas. Today I'm planning to go to Corvega Assembly plant or whatever it's called.

The only thing which is limiting me though is loving antibiotics. Is there any guaranteed location where I can find one? I think that I checked all places close to Sanctuary with first aid kids, all the merchants (well, I kind of killed Wolfgang) and nobody was selling any. I've been ignoring the disease which I had, but right now every so often I'm getting "the infection spreads" message and slowly using my supplies of stim-packs & healing stuff.

I'm 2 levels away from getting Chemist perk. Is there any easy way of getting rid of that disease before that?

follow the main quest with preston garvey and friends until you get to diamond city. there's a doctor there who usually has them in stock. healing with a doctor cures you of any diseases as well, so if you aren't absolutely hosed and dying, just make a mental note to visit a doctor soon, that way you can limit how much you crack into your stockpile of antibiotics. they are a lot rarer than stimpacks, radaways, etc.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kaaj posted:

For certain levels of "easy".

South of Walden Pond, north of ArcJet, east of the Federal Ration Stockpile and the Lonely Chapel, there's a ridiculously irradiated patch of ground, with a shack built over it. A ghoul doctor lives there, and I don't know if she ever comes outside, but she is a full-featured doctor.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

BattleSausage posted:

I get mega pissed when those "Finch Farm is under attack!" quests

Well, that's why I gave them turrets and combat armor. Take your balls our of your purse and man the gently caress up.

They will, with enough Defense, they'll just handle it themselves.

Happened to me with Nordhagen Beach once, good times.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Volkerball posted:

follow the main quest with preston garvey and friends until you get to diamond city. there's a doctor there who usually has them in stock. healing with a doctor cures you of any diseases as well, so if you aren't absolutely hosed and dying, just make a mental note to visit a doctor soon, that way you can limit how much you crack into your stockpile of antibiotics. they are a lot rarer than stimpacks, radaways, etc.

If he can find Covenant, that's the closest Doctor I think outside of the one who lives in the radiation pit

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

kaaj posted:

As other people said, the various doctors are kinda guaranteed to sell some. Another thing to look out for that will stretch your antibiotics is using herbal antimicrobial/anodyne/stimulants. Just make sure that any time you have them on hand you have their respective buff up. My current game I have managed to avoid using antibiotics so far and I'm level 16 now (no settlement building). Doctors can also cure your diseases and radiation for a small fee. Bunker hill sometimes has a travelling doctor there and if you join the Railroad faction (1 fairly easy quest) they have a doctor too.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

As other people said, the various doctors are kinda guaranteed to sell some. Another thing to look out for that will stretch your antibiotics is using herbal antimicrobial/anodyne/stimulants. Just make sure that any time you have them on hand you have their respective buff up. My current game I have managed to avoid using antibiotics so far and I'm level 16 now (no settlement building). Doctors can also cure your diseases and radiation for a small fee. Bunker hill sometimes has a travelling doctor there and if you join the Railroad faction (1 fairly easy quest) they have a doctor too.

I've encountered the doc caravan out of Bunker Hill as far north as Hub Auto Wreckers, and I think they've shown up at the Slog. Don't recall finding anyone other than the armor guy at settlements closer to Sanctuary, but I did catch him at Tenpines and wossname's farm over by Wicked Shipping - don't know any routes other than Cricket's run between Diamond City and Vault 81, otherwise.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
One of the random events on the hill by Abernathy is a doctor too.

I generally just beeline for Diamond City. If you go past Beantown Brewery it's basically completely safe if you are even a little careful. Take out Hangman's, set up a bed there, and you're golden. Easy access to doctors and merchants, not really that far away from anything for the first half of the game. Just send Sturgis and Preston there and you've got easy access to anything you need for the Minutemen.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Unless it changes from game to game, there are potential settlements that certain merchants typically stop at. Trashcan Carla, Institute spy extraordinaire, makes a circuit between Sanctuary Hills and the diner west of Starlight Drive-In. The balding armor merchant hangs outside Covenant. Cricket goes between Diamond City and Bunker Hill so I always find her strolling outside Hangman's Alley.

The doctor merchant, for his part, camps out at County Crossing. But if you're going that far southeast you might as well just make your way to Bunker Hill and their stationary doctor.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Basic Chunnel posted:

The doctor merchant, for his part, camps out at County Crossing. But if you're going that far southeast you might as well just make your way to Bunker Hill and their stationary doctor.

Or do the two Bunker Hill quests (clear out the national guard post, clear out the judge's raider gang) then you can make caravan stops anywhere and those fuckers will just move into your settlement drat near full time

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
This is yet another reason I'll never try Survival. How is everyone in the future not dead already from spreading illness and disease everywhere they go?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

...! posted:

This is yet another reason I'll never try Survival. How is everyone in the future not dead already from spreading illness and disease everywhere they go?

It's really, really, overblown. Most of the diseases just aren't that big a deal. Oh no, I have to eat more. The only one I ever bother using antibiotics on is the infection because it actually deals a decent amount of damage. The rest are ignorable until you find one of the many doctors scattered around the populated areas of the game.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Thanks for tips folks, will try to come up with something. I can't imagine how crazy valuable antibiotics had become and it kind of fits the setting too: there's a power armour waiting in your home so you can shred anything that moves, yet you're more focused on finding drugs and glowing mushrooms.

Edit: yeah, I've got the infection so earlier you could get killed by one random hit, now I die from mole rats farting.

kaaj fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 21, 2016

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

...! posted:

Well I guess they didn't spend 200 years in cryogenic suspension, they probably have immunities. That said though, does anyone give out vaccines in this new world?

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Tombot posted:

Well I guess they didn't spend 200 years in cryogenic suspension, they probably have immunities. That said though, does anyone give out vaccines in this new world?

Vaccines give you autism.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

It's really, really, overblown. Most of the diseases just aren't that big a deal. Oh no, I have to eat more. The only one I ever bother using antibiotics on is the infection because it actually deals a decent amount of damage. The rest are ignorable until you find one of the many doctors scattered around the populated areas of the game.

Later in the game, diseases are no big deal.

If you get unlucky early on and catch the "your health drops 20% every 5 minutes" disease, and you get unlucky enough not to find antibiotics, then disease is a big deal.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

kaaj posted:

Vaccines give you autism.

Makes sense; it would explain why the entirety of the Wastes need you to do all their work for them.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Tombot posted:

This is what I tell myself to hand wave away the ridiculous regularity with which my guy gets sick. Even more concerning is that apparently Todd Howard thinks antibiotics cure insomnia, fatigue, and lethargy, like it was an old timey vitality elixir.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

This is what I tell myself to hand wave away the ridiculous regularity with which my guy gets sick. Even more concerning is that apparently Todd Howard thinks antibiotics cure insomnia, fatigue, and lethargy, like it was an old timey vitality elixir.

Well he does strike me as a snake oil salesman :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Orange Sunshine posted:

Later in the game, diseases are no big deal.

If you get unlucky early on and catch the "your health drops 20% every 5 minutes" disease, and you get unlucky enough not to find antibiotics, then disease is a big deal.

Like I said, infections are the only ones worth talking about. It's rare to not find at least one antibiotic in Sanctuary for emergencies, but through ~170 levels of survival across two characters I can count on one hand the number of antibiotics I've bothered using.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
Anybody else getting the infinite load screen bug? Like whenever I have to go indoors or fast travel, I hold my breath because seemingly at random the game will go to the loading screen and then sit there forever. Couple that with survival mode for maximum pleasure.

Oh Bethesda, you get me every time...

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
Are there any good settlement building guides, like for each individual settlement? I already know the basics, I just want advice for expanding beyond the dilapidated static buildings and the best uses for each settlement (shopping mall, junk farm, water farm, and food farms)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deific Presence posted:

Are there any good settlement building guides, like for each individual settlement? I already know the basics, I just want advice for expanding beyond the dilapidated static buildings and the best uses for each settlement (shopping mall, junk farm, water farm, and food farms)

Pretty much all personal preference. I've seen people take the shittiest settlements and turn them into something nice looking. Beyond the obvious water farms like the castle or spectacle or the marina it really amounts to whatever you feel like doing.

If you're just looking for ideas, I like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClEo1UpTldoVXbCgDkBra4A

but he's doing heavily modded buildouts.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought the Institute spy merchant was Cricket.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

I thought the Institute spy merchant was Cricket.

All of the caravans are listed in the same document in the institute

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Azhais posted:

Pretty much all personal preference. I've seen people take the shittiest settlements and turn them into something nice looking. Beyond the obvious water farms like the castle or spectacle or the marina it really amounts to whatever you feel like doing.

If you're just looking for ideas, I like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClEo1UpTldoVXbCgDkBra4A

but he's doing heavily modded buildouts.

Yeah, I'm on ps4 and really just want suggestions on maximizing space in the smaller settlements and providing adequate defense (i.e. Nothing is getting past the bridge to Sanctuary, but do enemies attack from random directions?) and general tips for making buildings that don't look like poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deific Presence posted:

Yeah, I'm on ps4 and really just want suggestions on maximizing space in the smaller settlements and providing adequate defense (i.e. Nothing is getting past the bridge to Sanctuary, but do enemies attack from random directions?) and general tips for making buildings that don't look like poo poo.

I don't know that I've ever seen anything attack from the bridge tbh. They spawn kinda down by the little footbridge to vault 111, in the swamp area in the direction of that military vehicle (or hut, I can never remember what's over there), and just to the left of the cinderblocks on the other side of the bridge, and almost always run through the river to you.

I guess I've never seen any particular space optimization guides. I usually don't care about settlers to any great extent so that's not something I've focused on too hard

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
loving hell, the 'all the fog absorbers just broke' quest in the far harbor settlements is mental if it happens to a place you properly fortified. I just went from level 106 to 108 by just firing blindly into the fog while all my turrets tore giant nightmare legendary horrors into chunks of meat.

Did anyone ever figure out a way to trigger attacks on settlements via console commands?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Azhais posted:

All of the caravans are listed in the same document in the institute

So you're saying I should kill all of them?

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

So you're saying I should kill all of them?

Kill them all, Atom will know his own

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Is a melee character in Survival just an unworkable idea? I'd like to try something different after I finish with my gunslinger/sniper, but I can't imagine not playing on Survival mode.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

King Doom posted:

loving hell, the 'all the fog absorbers just broke' quest in the far harbor settlements is mental if it happens to a place you properly fortified. I just went from level 106 to 108 by just firing blindly into the fog while all my turrets tore giant nightmare legendary horrors into chunks of meat.

Did anyone ever figure out a way to trigger attacks on settlements via console commands?

I turned Dalton Farm into an impregnable fortress of doom and murder for anyone or anything that fucks with its settlers. Missle and heavy laser turrets everywhere... Whenever a bunch of Trappers show up it's a symphony of rockets and screams of the dying

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Bramble posted:

Is a melee character in Survival just an unworkable idea? I'd like to try something different after I finish with my gunslinger/sniper, but I can't imagine not playing on Survival mode.

Melee is as overpowered in survival as it is in any other mode. The only mission I had any problems with at all was the attack on the prydwyn just due to how open the area is, and the problems there mostly amounted to having to sprint around corners occasionally to get out of LOS

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

So roughly what should my build look like, what perks are critical, and am I mostly stealthy and abusing LoS and VATS to win fights?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Bramble posted:

So roughly what should my build look like, what perks are critical, and am I mostly stealthy and abusing LoS and VATS to win fights?

Blitz and VATS will take care of it.

A healthy dose of Ninja will let you open any fight with a kill. Then you use Blitz to zap around and take out everything else.

Make sure you can kill your target AND that you know where you're going next.

It's actually a lot like playing a Vanguard in Mass Effect 2.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Fallout 2 already took place in Oregon/California. They should revisit it, what will all the bio diversity and the ease of reusing Skyrim assets, haha.

Edit: Well, some of southern Oregon with weird distance scaling.

That would require Bethesda to actually acknowledge that plants might actually regrow in some places in 250 years.

2house2fly posted:

In addition, putting the menus in the Pip Boy interface is terrible.

Hopefully somebody will do SkyUI-for-Fallout-4 at some point.

Tombot posted:

I'm pretty sure that was deliberate, seeing as it replaced skills entirely.

The problem is that they replaced skills with perks, but didn't replace skill checks with anything at all.

Tombot posted:

I think the biggest problem is how they implemented the dialogue system, since its limitations basically effected everything else related to it, even Todd howard said it was not a success. As it is they could have added skill checks using the perks or Special stats, but they didn't except for CHA.

The dialogue system absolutely could have worked. Four choices per screen isn't a lot, but it's plenty to break things up into at least a couple of substantive options.

You just need to make:
code:
            OKAY, I'LL KILL THE GUY
                      |
HANDLE THIS YOURSELF -O- I'M TELLING THE MAYOR
                      |
             I'LL KILL YOU INSTEAD
...instead of what we got, which was:
code:
                           OKAY, I'LL KILL THE GUY
                                     |
I'LL KILL THE GUY, BUT WITH SARCASM -O- MY BAAAABY
                                     |
                            I'LL COME BACK LATER

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
DEF_UI will handle all your UI needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Roadie posted:

That would require Bethesda to actually acknowledge that plants might actually regrow in some places in 250 years.

Hopefully somebody will do SkyUI-for-Fallout-4 at some point.

The problem is that they replaced skills with perks, but didn't replace skill checks with anything at all.

The dialogue system absolutely could have worked. Four choices per screen isn't a lot, but it's plenty to break things up into at least a couple of substantive options.

You just need to make:
code:
            OKAY, I'LL KILL THE GUY
                      |
HANDLE THIS YOURSELF -O- I'M TELLING THE MAYOR
                      |
             I'LL KILL YOU INSTEAD
...instead of what we got, which was:
code:
                           OKAY, I'LL KILL THE GUY
                                     |
I'LL KILL THE GUY, BUT WITH SARCASM -O- MY BAAAABY
                                     |
                            I'LL COME BACK LATER

I think it was a combination of the protagonist being voiced and only having 4 response choices - if you have a broad branching tree of options, you have to voice those 'non-primary' paths too - and you can't add them in later without pulling the VA back into the studio. It's just a system that straitjackets the writing severely.

• Locked thread