Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Need advice. Trackbike has huge aftermarket rotors, makes it very difficult to slide the caliper back on with new pads installed (and pushed back pretty drat far). It also chewed up the old pads when removed, because the outside is wavy. Any tricks for this kinda thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Chamfer the edges of the pads.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is there a position between the spokes so that if you rotate the wheel to the right spot you get more room? Or is that just a Buell thing :(

Can you slide the pads out with the caliper still in place? I usually do that unless I need to get the caliper off for some reason.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Install calipers, drop pads in from the back. But usually it just requires getting the right angle and such.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Chamfer the edges of the pads.

Yoooo. :aaa: won't affect braking or anything right?

clutchpuck posted:

Is there a position between the spokes so that if you rotate the wheel to the right spot you get more room? Or is that just a Buell thing :(

Can you slide the pads out with the caliper still in place? I usually do that unless I need to get the caliper off for some reason.

Nah, it's all the same distance around the wheel. Don't think removing them like that would work, since with new pads you gotta press the pots apart anyway (i use the old pads and lever a screwdriver in there with a bleeder open).

Z3n posted:

Install calipers, drop pads in from the back. But usually it just requires getting the right angle and such.

Will try this if chamfering doesn't work. Although getting the angle wrong is what prevents me from normally installing them too, lol

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

M42 posted:

Yoooo. :aaa: won't affect braking or anything right?
Nah, pretty much everyone that has the wheels off often does this. If you want to see some cool poo poo look at like the Fastfrankracing quickchange kits...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8-4Iof5rlQ

Magnets inside of the pistons for calipers with removed spring clips :aaa:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
That is loving genius.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That is loving genius.

I'll say.

Wouldn't that also eliminate brake squeal? :dadsay:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'll say.

It should help keep the pad from dragging on the rotor, but I think brake squeal can be caused by a million other different factors, like whether or not you're wearing boxers or briefs that day.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I'll say.

Re-bed your pads. 80-10mph hard on the brakes a few times in succession. This will also show you what a brake pad feels like when it's actually up to temp. (It's a lot different)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Re-bed your pads. 80-10mph hard on the brakes a few times in succession. This will also show you what a brake pad feels like when it's actually up to temp. (It's a lot different)

First time I experienced this was when I left my first bike outside on a really hot day for about five hours and it took like a cm out of the lever travel.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I need to remove the front tire of my Honda CB300F to get it replaced. It's a bad idea to lift the bike from the exhaust pipe, though, right? I borrowed a hydraulic lift from a neighbor but there's no engine frame for me to jack the bike up. The exhaust pipe protrudes far enough down that I can't even adjust the lift to rest on the rear suspension. I guess I'll have to look into buying a front, and a rear spool stand (the exhaust gets in the way of swingarm stands).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

IAmKale posted:

I need to remove the front tire of my Honda CB300F to get it replaced. It's a bad idea to lift the bike from the exhaust pipe, though, right? I borrowed a hydraulic lift from a neighbor but there's no engine frame for me to jack the bike up. The exhaust pipe protrudes far enough down that I can't even adjust the lift to rest on the rear suspension. I guess I'll have to look into buying a front, and a rear spool stand (the exhaust gets in the way of swingarm stands).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Genius.

Although part of me wonders why you couldn't just pop it on the centre stand and tie down/load up the back.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Genius.

Although part of me wonders why you couldn't just pop it on the centre stand and tie down/load up the back.

Well the RC51 doesn't have a centerstand.

But I've done that to plenty of bikes up on the lift.
Centerstand > Ratchet straps from lift to bike tail (frame, pegs, whatever) > pull forks.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If the Uly had a center stand it would be a lot easier to live with.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I just do center stands and weights one the back/in the trunk on my FZ6.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Anyone have any tips for having a smooth craigslist transaction? I'm selling the 'ol Bonnie tonight and am just wondering if anyone has any tips.

I probably should have asked this a week ago.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Have a bill of sale mad lib ready to go.

Take cash only. Hold the cash if they want to demo it, you break it you bought it.

Use some caution and judgement. Some folks like to meet in a neutral location, some folks are OK doing it at their house.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
This is a diagram of my crankcase. Where the crankshaft runs, there's a hole at each side: the left connects to the starter and alternator, the right goes to the pickup coil. These are covered with bolt on caps that as far as I can tell don't take any kind of gasket around the edges.

What I want to know is, what stops those cavities getting flooded with oil? Is it just that the shaft is really snug in the crankcase? What kind of bearing goes in there, just a beefy rifle type?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

This is a diagram of my crankcase. Where the crankshaft runs, there's a hole at each side: the left connects to the starter and alternator, the right goes to the pickup coil. These are covered with bolt on caps that as far as I can tell don't take any kind of gasket around the edges.

What I want to know is, what stops those cavities getting flooded with oil? Is it just that the shaft is really snug in the crankcase? What kind of bearing goes in there, just a beefy rifle type?

I haven't looked at your diagram, but motorcycle stators are often bathed in oil.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The oil pools low down in the engine sump, well below the bottom of the bearings. If it were high enough to "flood" the end sections, the crankshaft counterweights would be whipping it up into foam.

However, the crankshaft bearings should be fed with oil under pressure, and there's no attempt to keep it on the "inside" of the bearing. Some usually does get into the end pieces you're referring to, and it won't hurt anything. There should be a gasket between the case and the side cover if only to account for any unflatness in the mating surfaces. When I take off the side covers on my bikes to get at the stator, a few ounces of oil usually drips out.

Crankshaft bearings come in a bunch of varieties. It's common to see a plain old machined bearing surface, or a journal bearing -- i.e. the crankshaft just rides in a matching machined semicircular cutout. This is acceptable because you have high pressure lubrication that forces oil into the interface, so if everything's going right the crank actually runs on the oil film and doesn't touch the bearing surface at all. If you didn't have the oil you would blow out the journals in no time. Ball bearings and roller bearings are also common in smaller engines with one or two cylinders in a line, where you only need one bearing at each end and you can just slide/press them onto the crankshaft. If you have four pistons, you ideally want five bearing surfaces, and to put ball bearings in there you'd need to use the split type, and it's just not worth the effort and complexity when you can guarantee a high load capacity and good reliability on a plain bearing by just ensuring you have good oil flow.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 22, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ball/roller bearing mains are only really useful in twins and singles because you can only really stick them on the end of the crankshaft. Fours and such have multiple main journals so it makes sense to use shell bearings everywhere.

E: you edited you sonovabitch!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I thought about it a little more and realized that was probably a major reason :)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

As far as I know, the pre-80s Suzuki GS model line had roller bearing cranks.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Fishvilla posted:

Anyone have any tips for having a smooth craigslist transaction? I'm selling the 'ol Bonnie tonight and am just wondering if anyone has any tips.

I probably should have asked this a week ago.

Edit: I read this entirely wrong but spent a good five minutes typing this response so here it is.

Imagine yourself as a retarded raccoon. You want the bike but also can't read, deduce things from context, etc. Answer any and all possible questions in the ad. I do mean all. Have a picture of the bike? Doesn't matter. List the color. Put the mileage in the box? List it in the ad too. Literally everything you can think of said in multiple ways. Otherwise you will be swamped with texts asking questions you've answered in the ad. The two most important bits in your ad should be "no trades" and "if the ad is up, the bike is still available."

Also, the vast majority of responses you will receive will be bullshit. 9/10 if not more. Typically, if they ask a lot of questions via text or whatever instead of asking to see it you can be positive the guy will eventually stop responding. Within the first message or two, I generally just put the kibosh on nonsense by saying "I am available to show the bike M-F after 4 PM." Also, if someone asks "what's your bottom dollar" just state the asking price because they're not coming unless you low ball yourself. Or just say "I'd rather negotiate once you can see how great the bike is in person."

Alternatively, place your balls in a hydraulic press and apply pressure.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

How do you torque something to spec if you don't have much space for tools? The kickstand bolts require 110nm and I can barely fit a wrench in there, but I can fit a shorty 19mm in there but there's no leverage to get it that right. I can probably remove the pipes and the right peg etc to get one bolt but I think the other is blocked by a frame piece.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Schroeder91 posted:

How do you torque something to spec if you don't have much space for tools? The kickstand bolts require 110nm and I can barely fit a wrench in there, but I can fit a shorty 19mm in there but there's no leverage to get it that right. I can probably remove the pipes and the right peg etc to get one bolt but I think the other is blocked by a frame piece.

you take your time and remove layer by layer until you can fit the tools and fix things correctly

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

EX250 Type R posted:

you take your time and remove layer by layer until you can fit the tools and fix things correctly

A really good rule of thumb taught to me by a mechanic I worked with: "Keep taking poo poo off until the part you want falls the gently caress out." Same concept as quoted. Take the interfering bits off and do it right. Alternately grow some muscles and pull like hell on the wrench. "Good-n-tite" combined with Loctite can get the job done, if you're lucky and we're not talking engine internals and other delicate bits.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

However, the crankshaft bearings should be fed with oil under pressure, and there's no attempt to keep it on the "inside" of the bearing. Some usually does get into the end pieces you're referring to, and it won't hurt anything. There should be a gasket between the case and the side cover if only to account for any unflatness in the mating surfaces. When I take off the side covers on my bikes to get at the stator, a few ounces of oil usually drips out.

I'm not sure my coil cover has a gasket, will I be okay using that instant silicone stuff so long as it's heat rated?

Thanks for the bearing explanation, that all makes sense.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

Only severe levels of autism require you to torque the kickstand bolts, just do them up loving tight with some loctite and you'll be ok. A shorty wrench is not tight enough though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Schroeder91 posted:

can you get a socket on an extension on it so you've got space to turn the torque wrench? If you get it mostly tight, you'll only need maybe a quarter turn with the torque wrench.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Thanks for the craigslist advice. The deal went down smoothly. Now onto shopping for a new biek. :toot:

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

Alternatively, place your balls in a hydraulic press and apply pressure.

I sold the Buell Blast last weekend. I think I'd rather have the hydraulic press experience next time.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I picked up stands yesterday, and removed and reinstalled the front tire on my own. Man, it'd been forever since I turned a wrench, I forgot how satisfying it can be!

On that note, when I put the front caliper back on I noticed there's now a slight scuffing sound from a section of the brake disc that now rubs against the brake pad. Is this anything to worry about? Everything's on as tight as it was when I removed it, so I'm not sure how I might adjust the caliper to silence this.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Fishvilla posted:

Thanks for the craigslist advice. The deal went down smoothly. Now onto shopping for a new biek. :toot:

What are you looking for? I'm sort of in your area and might be able to help.

IAmKale posted:

I picked up stands yesterday, and removed and reinstalled the front tire on my own. Man, it'd been forever since I turned a wrench, I forgot how satisfying it can be!

On that note, when I put the front caliper back on I noticed there's now a slight scuffing sound from a section of the brake disc that now rubs against the brake pad. Is this anything to worry about? Everything's on as tight as it was when I removed it, so I'm not sure how I might adjust the caliper to silence this.

What bike and year? Are the brake pads new? When you removed the wheel did you leave the caliper in place or unbolt it? If you spin the front wheel, does it spin freely, and is the noise constant as the wheel spins? A little bit of dragging noise from the pads is normal. It sounds like the pads may need to be re-bedded.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

What bike and year? Are the brake pads new? When you removed the wheel did you leave the caliper in place or unbolt it? If you spin the front wheel, does it spin freely, and is the noise constant as the wheel spins? A little bit of dragging noise from the pads is normal. It sounds like the pads may need to be re-bedded.
It's a 2015 Honda CB300F. The bike itself only has 3600 miles on it so the brakes are in good shade. When I removed the wheel I also removed the caliper. When I reinstalled the tire I tightened the axle nut, hand-screwed the pinch bolt, pushed the caliper's brake pads apart, tightened down the caliper, then did small pumps of the front break until the pads move back into place. After that I bounced the front end, then snugged down the pinch bolt.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Linedance posted:

can you get a socket on an extension on it so you've got space to turn the torque wrench? If you get it mostly tight, you'll only need maybe a quarter turn with the torque wrench.

I can't even get a socket on, let alone an extension and ratchet, without removing the exhaust. And that's for only one bolt, the other I'm 93% sure is blocked by the frame and/or the suspension. I really don't know why these bolts are in such a lovely spot, they should've put them on the outside. I guess they didn't expect them to come off, but here we are. I'm considering somehow getting my bike higher off the ground so I can fit a longer wrench in there, that'd probably do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Gorson posted:

What are you looking for? I'm sort of in your area and might be able to help.

I'm basically looking at ninjettes and cbr250r. I'd do a 300 if I could find a used one at a reasonable price -- unfortunately, the 300s don't seem to have trickled down into the used market as well as the 250s have.