Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Is veskit skipped soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Is veskit skipped soon?

He's here i'm writing a thing

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah now. I'll explain this one in a bit but I pick Kevin Hayes.

E: if he was your pick veskit, I'll repick.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

A lot of you GMs, or supposed GMs i should say are loving nerds. You worry about stats, and some bullshit about speed or something, and i should mention, you don't even worry about the real stats like goals, grit, and loving hits. You're all bad gms, because you forgot about the most important part about GMING and that's making some loving money for your club.

Well I didn't forget that. That's why I gotta do two things. Get into the playoffs, and get some hot loving stars.

That's why I got an all american center whos going to at least go 25/25/50, and you know what, win some faceoffs while doing it so we can look good. He's going to hit some dudes, cause hits put asses not on the ice, but in seats. He's also got a bod

Look at this bod, this is insane look at the chiseled man.

And I didn't even show you his butt

Look guys I'm the Boston Bruins over here, I need to put a quality product on the ice, and shoot for a second round exit while keeping people interested the rest of the year. GL with that nerds.

2017 Boston Bruins Take RYAN THE BOD KESLER

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I just drafted ryan kesler without even checking his salary I've really hit it big :smug:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Veskit posted:

I just drafted ryan kesler without even checking his salary I've really hit it big :smug:

And now you know why all of us taking centres didn't take him

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Yaya posted:

And now you know why all of us taking centres didn't take him

There's always a florida panthers when you're a big team like i am

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I considered Kesler because him and Jordan on the same team would be absolutely brutal for the opposition but his contract is just reaaaaally bad and his body is already falling apart on him

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I considered Kesler because him and Jordan on the same team would be absolutely brutal for the opposition but his contract is just reaaaaally bad and his body is already falling apart on him

Uhhh have you seen his abs?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Technetium posted:

I disagree?

dat HERO chart. But really his fancies are not good and he's likely being carried by Niskanen, although he was good at actual defending in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, I picked Dandy Kaiser because his scoring rates are decent and he's a top four defenseman despite having had an off year (like most of the Dead Things). HERO charts say he's bad at possession because his numbers are worse than Mike "Never Seen a Defensive Zone in My Life" Green and his partner. I will ignore that because it's dumb.

Also Jordan is skipped and T-Bone can pick twice.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm gonna go with Nick Foligno and Mikko Rantanen.

Foligno had a down year obviously but his possession stats were still really good and he's still of the age where I think he has a few 50ish point seasons in front of him.

Rantanen was the AHL rookie of the year as an 18 year old last year will definitely be up with Colorado next year. I thought about a vet instead but he has a ton of upside.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Aw man, Foligno was going to round out my nonsensical third line. I assumed people wouldn't want him.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
To clarify, the talent deficit was the one skipped. thankfully for them, they're up again and can make two picks

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yaya posted:

To clarify, the talent deficit was the one skipped. thankfully for them, they're up again and can make two picks

When someone gets skipped, they get skipped both ways, right?

Also, I would have taken Rantanen. I like that pick Tbone.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Good picks. Foligno is very solid

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

yeah we've been skipping the second pick if someone is still not back from their original skip

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Yaya posted:

Oops. Oh well.

Jordan7hm posted:

When someone gets skipped, they get skipped both ways, right?

I say yes to punish the slow and weak.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think with Giroux/Toews he would bounce back and have a solid season. His fancies really are quite good.

Rantanen should see time with Duchene or MacKinnon this year, he's huge and talented: AHL rookie of the year as an 18 year old and over a PPG. I need another good vet winger but 60 picks later I'm skeptical I can find a good one.

Foligno-Toews-Rantanen
Connor-Giroux-?

Spurgeon-Demers
Krug-Provorov

Rask

Too young probably after taking Giroux/Toews but still a solid team I think. Rantanen/Connor/Provorov figure to play next year, we'll see how well they do.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So who is up? Jordan?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

oops, sorry.

i'll take elias lindholm and thomas greiss

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Wow I was just about take Lindholm. Fucker

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So anyway here is my writeup for the Hayes pick.

After being a first round pick of the Blackhawks, Kevin Hayes took advantage of the college free agency stuff to skip out on Chicago and sign with the Rangers. If there was any question as to his NHL readiness, he proved the doubters wrong with a fantastic rookie season where he tied with Tyler Seguin and Ryan Getzlaf to lead the entire NHL in 5v5 first assists (with 21). His sophomore season was definitely a step back in a lot of ways, but he still had a respectable .65 first assist / 60 rate, good for 86th among forwards (he was 75th in p/60 among forwards). His possession stats are fine, and his WOWY indicates he can carry teammates, though he does get fairly easy zone starts and probably gets easier matchups (AV loves that line matching). The upside is real. Also, he is 6'5.

Given how piss my center depth is, he may see cushier offense-minded matchups on Carolina.

I'll have my other one in a sec.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm having a lot of trouble with my picks now.

Going to take another guy who had a good rookie season and a bad sophomore season: the former Four Broncos Memorial Trophy recipient (WHL player of the year), 6'5 Adam Lowry.

In Lowry's rookie season he was a hit machine who also moved the possession needle in the right direction. Thing is though, he's a great example of the impact of matchups. In Lowry's rookie season he got to mostly play with Frolik and take easy faceoffs with Thorburn in the offensive zone. In the sophomore season, he got to play with Burmistrov (a fine player, but a clear step down from Frolik) and take defensive zone starts with Thorburn, where they got absolutely wrecked. He started not just shooting less, but attempting fewer shots and even hitting less. It was a bad year. Like Hayes, I think he had a bounceback season in him, and I'm happy to have him grow with the team. He's still only 23 and going into his third NHL season. In some places he's marked as a left wing, but he also takes faceoffs, so I guess he can pinch in if need be.

Right now my team is looking like:

Laine - Hayes - Gallagher
Lowry - Bjugstad - ?
???
???

Chara - Hamilton
Bouwmeester - Ristolainen
??

Hellebuyck

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Sorry dude but that team is awful. Am I up?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
If Hellebuyck and Laine pan out, that team might scrape ahead of the J gimmick team, but probably not. And only because FlyingLemur wasted picks on Jagr and Beagle instead of uhhh Jack Johnson I guess?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
nah veskit is up.

It's not good, and the forward picks that are coming up are scarily bad, but I think the defense ended up being very good at least, and there's still a chance it turns out ok down the road given that they're fairly young.

the jay beagle pick didn't make any sense even given the gimmick. is anyone else doing a gimmick that I missed?

e: also why did the gimmick stop there were still lovely picks to be made

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 22, 2016

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

eXXon posted:

If Hellebuyck and Laine pan out, that team might scrape ahead of the J gimmick team, but probably not. And only because FlyingLemur wasted picks on Jagr and Beagle instead of uhhh Jack Johnson I guess?

Dude, you are spending more energy on my team than I am. Do I owe you money?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Gimmick teams are the best ignore them. RC Cola had the best one last year by drafting nothing but grinders and punchmen.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Lowry is going to end up as an ideal forth line center in the NHL. Reliable and effective and cheap because he doesn't score that much.

I'd love to see him bounce back but he's going to get loving buried underthe rest of Winnipeg's forwards this season

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

eXXon posted:

dat HERO chart. But really his fancies are not good and he's likely being carried by Niskanen, although he was good at actual defending in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, I picked Dandy Kaiser because his scoring rates are decent and he's a top four defenseman despite having had an off year (like most of the Dead Things). HERO charts say he's bad at possession because his numbers are worse than Mike "Never Seen a Defensive Zone in My Life" Green and his partner. I will ignore that because it's dumb.

Also Jordan is skipped and T-Bone can pick twice.

I specifically wanted a guy who was good at shot suppression to pair with either of Letang or Johnson and Alzner is good at that. He's a left handed shot to pair with the right shot guys, is only 27, hasn't missed a game in half a decade. His numbers barely changed since Niskanen came so I don't know where you drew that conclusion. He got dummied in zone starts relative to his team but was still essentially a neutral possession player relative to his team.

Alzner is cool and should pair well with Letang to let him roam while he limits chances against.

e: also gently caress the guy who took Mikko Rantanen, thought he'd be safe til my next pick because I needed D.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Technetium posted:

e: also gently caress the guy who took Mikko Rantanen, thought he'd be safe til my next pick because I needed D.

never trust me around children

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

When does next pick get skipped? I think I go after

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

When does next pick get skipped? I think I go after

Veskit has until 11:46 ET, then he gets skipped and you can pick

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

My pocketbooks, empty

My gut, full of fire

You know what lets take a chance, lets take a big rear end chance.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

The Boston bruins add two more b's to the line up so give it up for the BOSTON BRUNS"S BEAU BENNETT

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I have other picks in mind, but if I don't take a goalie here I'll wind up with Pavelec. So...

The Winnipeg Jets select Brian Elliot. Maybe a bit of a product of the Blues' system but still clearly an above-average goalie making $2.8m over the next two years. I hope to put together the rest of my forwards moving forward. Critiques welcome:

Parise-Bergeron-Simmonds
Steen-Kadri

Doughty-McNabb
Hamonic-Werenski

Elliot

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I have other picks in mind, but if I don't take a goalie here I'll wind up with Pavelec. So...

The Winnipeg Jets select Brian Elliot.

cock

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Exxon is up then I get to pick!

eXXon is skipped.

Minnesota Wild select Alex Killorn

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 22, 2016

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

After much deliberation and staring at the gaping hole on my 1st line right wing the Nashville Predators select the criminally underrated by everyone PA Parenteau,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Parenteau can be very on and off but a potential 20+ goals for that price can't be ignored. He was on my radar for sure.

• Locked thread